Preparing for the Zombie Apocolypse

Options

Replies

• SlimSammy2012
    Options
    <~~Won't fight the Zombies. Just put myself out there to fee dthem and then....Too Become one!!!!!
  • sveltemarilyn
    sveltemarilyn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh good, something else to worry about. Should I rank this before alien abduction or after?
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    Oh good, something else to worry about. Should I rank this before alien abduction or after?

I say afterwards.....
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Heres the truth.. when the apocolypse comes, the zombies will be the survivors who were not prepared. They're the ones who will be walking around trying to find, scavage and beg for food. They're the ones who you will have to kill because they will kill you for what you have.

Will there be zombies? yes.. they just wont be the kind you see in the movies

^^^Has to be the best post ever....
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It makes sense to be prepared for an emergency, including one where you may need to leave your home.

Bug-in... plenty of water, dry/canned food.
    Bug-out... bag in the car, multiple bags in the house, bicycles (one with trailer for the kid).

Personal prep - Strength training, parkour, and running/bicycling.

Weapons are the only thing we're deficient in. With an almost 3 year old in the house and only one adult experienced with firearms (that would be me). We're going to have to hope our local gun store owner (and friend... 3 blocks away) hasn't turned; plus a true, battle ready broadsword and the staff training I'm doing with the 15# bar bell (have a 45 pounder for actual lifting).
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Heres the truth.. when the apocolypse comes, the zombies will be the survivors who were not prepared. They're the ones who will be walking around trying to find, scavage and beg for food. They're the ones who you will have to kill because they will kill you for what you have.

Will there be zombies? yes.. they just wont be the kind you see in the movies

^^^Has to be the best post ever....

Agreed!
  • Zalovar
    Zalovar Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The problem with this topic is people know "zombies" are only in the movies, so they don't think they need to plan for anything. Reality has given us lots of reasons to plan for the unknown - Hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, long-term power outages, plagues, droughts, and more. Your typical grocery store only holds about 3 days worth of food for your area. In the event of a major power outage, you will be stuck with what's in your house - no stores to go to, gas stations don't work, phones don't work, toilets won't work, and so on.

There's nothing wrong with being prepared to stay put for a week of isolation.

And don't even get me started about the horrors of what some people can do when they're desperate. Hurricane Katrina has lots of learning lessons about that topic.

Sounds like you took typed words straight from my brain. Not quite at 6 months yet myself but getting there. Just one thing to add. Besides, having food, water , shelter and security, may also want to consider learning some skills that may be valuable to have if our infrastructure collapses. Seems like we've forgotten how to surivive without fancy gadgets and electricity...somtimes its good know how to do things the old school way.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    <---- Ready and waiting *loads shotgun*
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm not that prepared but why do you think I started running? I need the stamina to out run the mofos!

Rule #1 - CARDIO!!! (from Zombieland)
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    God I miss TWD. Seriously though, my college (amongst many others) plays Humans Vs. Zombies. I'm survived every game until the very end ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk4xwcg_G38

ZOMBIES. ANOTHER REASON FOR ME TO BUILD UP MY CARDIO.
  • Arperjen
    Arperjen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Psh, I ain't telling you my zombie plans. No way I'm letting anyone sabotage anything. ;P But I will give a piece of advice: stay on the move; never let yourself get cornered or trapped anywhere.

Remember...

zombieland-rule-1.jpg
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Having to ration my food to survival levels and not being able to hit the gym on the regular would drive me insane. Id just let the zombies get me so i could be one of the "Big ****ers" from the movies.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    a couple crossbows. DVDs/kindle. things for injuries, like stuff for stitches, wound dressings, numbing agents, etc. sledgehammer, screwdrivers. fireworks, flares. swedish firesteel and maya dust. wind up flashlights. coffee cup inverter. two way radios. those warm sleeping bag thingies that keep heat in. squishy bowls/cups and titanium sporks.

>.> not like I have all that stuff in the back of my car though. really...
  • IokiOcto
    IokiOcto Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Machete...you don't have to reload a Machete!

This has to be the BEST topic ever!
  • Martin_Kaine
    Options
    What if a regular woman and a zombie have sex and the woman gets pregnant? What would the kid be?

An Occupy Wall Street activist "This is what democracy looks like RAWARRRRGGGRRHHHHH!!!! Brains! NEED BRAINS!! argh"

...anyway, I'm ready for the apocalypse. I played Fallout 3. I know where to get shotgun ammo, food, deactivate undetonated bombs, and build a rifle out of a crutch that fires rail road spikes. I know the difference between feral and civilized ghouls. I've even had power armor training. I'm ready. Bring it.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    3279.jpg
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I just bought a case of Hornaday Zombie Killer Ammo! Game time.
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    We have an old root cellar, not what i would say Stocked, but we could make do. Living in Iowa we always have the threat of tornadoes and blizzards/ ice storms ( and presidential candidates)

Only place where we are slacking is in the gun/ammo part... we have a BB gun. :)

so... for a "gun virgin", what would you zombie pros suggest!?
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    And has not ONE of you thought to stash any Twinkies? Anyone??

healthpackRBshot.jpg

I am prepared...
    btr-90-zombie.jpg
    gun-nuts-zombies.jpg

That is, until...
    26443_421440648997_293964063997_5163753_6702805_n_large.jpg
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I know The Walking Dead makes a crossbow look like a great weapon for Zombie survival, but in reality it's far from it.

1. You have limited ammo, and after every shot, you have to recover your bolt (arrow), assuming it didn't shatter or get bent from the shot.
    2. Takes 2 arms and a leg to reload.
    3. Reloading is time consuming, and awkward.
    4. Fairly useless in close quarters
    5. Lethal head shots are hard to achieve without sufficient practice.
    6. Anything mechanical can, and will, fail you when you need it most. A simply cut of the string, and it's nothing more than a paperweight.
    7. Moving targets are incredibly hard to take down in one shot.
    8. You're screwed if you have 2 or more zombies coming at your quickly.
    9. Cumbersome for traveling with, would get hung up on everything you're trying to sneak through.
    10. You always need a clear shot for accuracy. Even a tree twig will deflect your shot.

My main weapon would be a machete-type tool, with a hi-capacity 12 gauge pump as my emergency back-up, and then rely on stealth to avoid having to use either of them.