Starving on Keto!

Options
When I first started the ketogenic diet about 2 months ago, I groaned at the thought of having to eat another snack/meal AGAIN. I was never hungry. Now, for the past month or so, I'm ridiculously hungry. Hungry in my throat and in my stomach and mouth. I don't want to go over my calorie goal, but it is so uncomfortable feeling this empty all the time! Drinking tea or eating raw vegetables like celery and broccoli make me hungrier, and meat doesn't really help either. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I'm sure I'm not the only one... what is this ketogenic diet please?
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary to the public? youre probably depriving yourself.
  • nomoreplaying
    Options
    i've heard people speak of keto, but yes tell us what it is. i just tried richard simmons food mover blast off and i was so hungry my body was shaking
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    Simple as, your not eating enough! Please open your diary so I can see if I can help with your hunger!
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It's a very low carb diet. Atkins is a keto diet. You eat very low carb which puts your body into ketosis which forces your body to burn fat for fuel as opposed to burning carbs.
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It's a high - fat diet, which means you don't feel full, like when you eat meat or veggies. But, you reach your calorie count faster. I would switch diets.
  • thelittleinu
    thelittleinu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just made my diary public. I'm supposed to eat 1200 calories a day but I usually go over. Also I'm 5'1" and 122 lbs if that helps anything.

The keto diet is a high-protein, extremely low-carb diet that requires you to eat every 2.5-3 hours. After depriving yourself dramatically of carbs in the first stage, your body goes into ketosis and ketones are detectable by strips in your urine. Then, supposedly, fat burns and muscle is not lost because you're eating so much protein.
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    are you eating no carbs at all, or a little bit?

if none, maybe add in a little bit. it might help fill you up without completely negating the whole concept of the keto diet.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb diet and dont often feel hungry at all never starving like you are.. send me a add message and you can look at my food diary and see. I am doing 20% carb 40% good fats and 40% good protiens.. and Im doing 1200 calories and I do on occassion go over but not often..
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Your problem is that you are trying to stick to a calorie goal that MFP sets (I'm assuming) and eating Keto. This will not work. One of the beauties about eating ketogenically is that you don't really need to restrict calories. I've lost most of my weight (2x over) eating close to 1000cal more a day than MFP would recommend for my size.

If you are still hungry eat some meat and cheese! Eat some nuts, eat more vegtables...just don't go over your prescribed carbs for the day and you'll be fine.

I've consumed as much as 8000 calories in a day and lost 2lbs for the week, with the rest of the week averaging 2500-3500 cals a day, all while sitting at a desk job and not exercising. Calories in vs. calories out isn't total bull****, but certainly only one way to skin the cat.

Fact of the matter is that if you are hungry you need to eat more, 'nuff said.
  • thelittleinu
    thelittleinu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The only carbs I get are from vegetables, I think. I don't eat any sugar, bread, rice, pasta, cereal, or starchy vegetables.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's a high - fat diet, which means you don't feel full, like when you eat meat or veggies.

No, fat will make you feel satisfied faster and longer. Eating fat and protein will make one feel satisfied far longer. Fat has a higher caloric value and takes longer to burn off.

I am sure there is another reason to her starving all the time.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    i've heard people speak of keto, but yes tell us what it is. i just tried richard simmons food mover blast off and i was so hungry my body was shaking

I remember the food mover!!!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You don't need to open your diary. You are starving because YOU ARE STARVING!

Eat some food.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The only carbs I get are from vegetables, I think. I don't eat any sugar, bread, rice, pasta, cereal, or starchy vegetables.

eat more. simple.

I think your overall calories are probably too low. You may have to increase the calorie goal but make the adjustments to the fat and/or protein. Although, even at my 75g goal, I am in a moderate level of keytones using the urine test sticks. So you are probably gonna have to play around with your goals and be sure you eat them each day.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    if you're starving then eat. if keto isn't working for you then change it.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Are you on this for a health reason or for weight loss? I did this (high fat keto) for a while for a seizure disorder/migraines and it really helped, but even with THAT I couldn't stick to it. I try to keep my carbs low-ish, but yeah. I can't imagine anyone doing this for weight loss.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary and I think you are eating too low fat. Try adding some fat and up your calories somewhat. I think that might help. 1200 calories is awfully low in my opinion for anybody that does any exercise/activity at all.