Starving on Keto!

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're interested in "ketogenic" "diets" -- you need lots of real scientific information.

I suggest you read the long technical book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.

Otherwise it is just a whole lot of bumbling around ... it's difficult to get solid, factual information from internet sound bites. Enjoy the book!

It's interesting that all night while sleeping we all live ............ ketogenically. Arg!

Since when did Gary Taubes write scientific data? He is a journalist.
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    When I first started the ketogenic diet about 2 months ago, I groaned at the thought of having to eat another snack/meal AGAIN. I was never hungry. Now, for the past month or so, I'm ridiculously hungry. Hungry in my throat and in my stomach and mouth. I don't want to go over my calorie goal, but it is so uncomfortable feeling this empty all the time! Drinking tea or eating raw vegetables like celery and broccoli make me hungrier, and meat doesn't really help either. What am I doing wrong?

You need to get off and recycle another diet you've been on Keto too long it should only be about a 6 week diet do 2 week normal re-feed and start up again.
  • GregNoblin
    GregNoblin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Paleo is the way to go. I've never felt better in my life now that I have no dependence on calorie dense carbohydrates.

You can point to all the "science" you want to show whatever points you have are correct, I don't care and I don't believe it.

Anyone saying calorie dense carbohydrates like oats, whole wheat, bread, rice is dead wrong. Those are the leading causes to obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, and tons of other things. Everyone wants to be a doctor and make comments about what they know rather than experience.

I'm going to stick to eating a diet that got humanity along for 2,000,000 years rather than what marketing ala Edward Bernays public relations has taught society what is a healthy diet.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Okay-- I'm sorry, I'll chime in here, although I almost never, ever come to these threads.

I have to ask-- what in the world are you thinking? You're looking for ketones in your urine as a GOOD thing? My daughter is a juvenile diabetic, and was in the hospital near death due to diabetic keto-acidosis-- in short, ketones in her urine. Her body couldn't burn sugar, so it turned to fat and muscle to survive.

When your body burns fat and muscle for fuel instead of sugar LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO, the byproducts are toxic-- ketones. Any person with any sense will tell you that's NOT A GOOD THING.

You came here for advice. I advise you to abandon this nonsense and eat a sensible freaking diet. 1200 calories in and of itself isn't so bad. But for heaven's sake, not to mention YOUR BODY'S sake, please eat sensibly.

You are confusing two different things. Diabetic Ketoacidosis is dangerous however that is not simply having ketones in your urine. Some people, like my husband are on Ketogenic diets due to certain medical issues.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Paleo is the way to go. I've never felt better in my life now that I have no dependence on calorie dense carbohydrates.

You can point to all the "science" you want to show whatever points you have are correct, I don't care and I don't believe it.

Anyone saying calorie dense carbohydrates like oats, whole wheat, bread, rice is dead wrong. Those are the leading causes to obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, and tons of other things. Everyone wants to be a doctor and make comments about what they know rather than experience.

I'm going to stick to eating a diet that got humanity along for 2,000,000 years rather than what marketing ala Edward Bernays public relations has taught society what is a healthy diet.

Strongest thread necro'ing first post I've seen this year.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    When I first started the ketogenic diet about 2 months ago, I groaned at the thought of having to eat another snack/meal AGAIN. I was never hungry. Now, for the past month or so, I'm ridiculously hungry. Hungry in my throat and in my stomach and mouth. I don't want to go over my calorie goal, but it is so uncomfortable feeling this empty all the time! Drinking tea or eating raw vegetables like celery and broccoli make me hungrier, and meat doesn't really help either. What am I doing wrong?

Your diary is still locked but I will say that it sounds like you might not be getting enough fat. The Keto diet is low carb/moderate protein/high fat. My macros before I got pregnant were set at 5%/30%/65%. I was never hungry and that is the goal. Eating more than 1200 calories though is still a good idea. I was losing about 1 lb per week eating at 1600 cal and I am 5'4". When you are hungry eat something with fat like cheese instead of tea or veggies. It will fill you up and give you fuel. Check out the keto calculator in the left side bar of this site. www.reddit.com/r/keto. It will help you set up your goals for your weight loss and eat at a good calorie goal instead of starving yourself.

I do agree though, being already to a healthy weight you should definitely increase your calories and start working out to change your composition. Weight loss is only going to make you a smaller version of the same shape at this point which means your problem areas aren't going to change without working out.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

LMAO, head in the sand much?

Way to make things up

Whoops, you do know paleo man ate mostly carbs, right?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Only in the last 30 years has obesity, cancers, heart disease and diabetes have become an epidemic. What has changed in our society?

We eat way more food than we need to, it's that simple. I'm pretty sure humans have consumed carbs in great quantities for more than 30 years.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Why bother with these horrible diets when you can eat 1800+ calories with the same results? Why not just figure out your tdee and cut 20%, and then add ome strength training and a little cardio? At least with the latter you will maintain lean muscles mass and not starve.

A+
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Eating Keto is what your are doing wrong. That shouldn't be done for long periods of time.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but when you say you are trying to eat 1200 calories a day, do you mean total calories consumed, or net calories after exercise? If you mean total, 1200 may simply be too low for you.

My understanding of most low carb diets is that you aren't under such severe calorie restriction, you will tend to automatically eat a little less because the protein keeps you full longer, but you aren't supposed to be severely restricted. Maybe that is part of the problem?

Another possibility is that your body is calling out for carbs. Fruit. Whole Grains in moderation. An occasional potato. If you stay in your calorie limit you can have those things and not gain weight, and your body will get some vitamins and minerals it is probably missing right now.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I'm going to stick to eating a diet that got humanity along for 2,000,000 years

Do you plan on doing everything like humanity did 2,000,000 years ago or only avoiding certain foods that certain people in certain parts of the world didn't have access to at the time? I say we need to go all the way, if we got everything right the first time. Paleo diet is only the first step, let's get a full paleo lifestyle going here.
  • JohnDowding
    JohnDowding Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading "Why we get fat" for a good explanation of this. Ketosis is not the same as ketoacidosis.

I'm also doing well on a low-ish carb diet, not Atkins-low, but ~75g of carbs a day/1800 calories. I am not intentionally going into ketosis, but I might be borderline.
  • GregNoblin
    Options

I'm going to stick to eating a diet that got humanity along for 2,000,000 years

Do you plan on doing everything like humanity did 2,000,000 years ago or only avoiding certain foods that certain people in certain parts of the world didn't have access to at the time? I say we need to go all the way, if we got everything right the first time. Paleo diet is only the first step, let's get a full paleo lifestyle going here.

Yessir. I'm hip to that. We're going to need spears!
  • GregNoblin
    Options

Strongest thread necro'ing first post I've seen this year.

:P
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    1200 calories/day doesn't seem like enough. Try eating at a lower deficit and see if you stop feeling hungry.

If you're eating at a small deficit and you're still hungry, maybe keto just isn't for you and you could add back in some filling whole grains.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Your problem is that you are trying to stick to a calorie goal that MFP sets (I'm assuming) and eating Keto. This will not work. One of the beauties about eating ketogenically is that you don't really need to restrict calories. I've lost most of my weight (2x over) eating close to 1000cal more a day than MFP would recommend for my size.

If you are still hungry eat some meat and cheese! Eat some nuts, eat more vegtables...just don't go over your prescribed carbs for the day and you'll be fine.

I've consumed as much as 8000 calories in a day and lost 2lbs for the week, with the rest of the week averaging 2500-3500 cals a day, all while sitting at a desk job and not exercising. Calories in vs. calories out isn't total bull****, but certainly only one way to skin the cat.

Fact of the matter is that if you are hungry you need to eat more, 'nuff said.

No, you can definitely still eat too much while doing keto. I do agree that the OP may need to raise her calories though.

ETA: BAH!!! Damn zombie thread! Somebody learned how to use the 'search' function.
  • dannymgilbert1980
    Options
    I eat 2000 calories a day while in Keto. If you do some research the protein is much more difficult to store as fat on your body especially if you work out, so you can afford to eat a little more. I'm not saying gorge but don't diet, just eat normal. Avocado is really good for making you feel full also.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I eat 2000 calories a day while in Keto. If you do some research the protein is much more difficult to store as fat on your body especially if you work out, so you can afford to eat a little more. I'm not saying gorge but don't diet, just eat normal. Avocado is really good for making you feel full also.
    Dietary fat is stored very easily by the body. Keto diets are high fat. If you eat over maintenance calories you will store fat, no matter what kind of diet you eat.