Too Much Fruit?? (Fruit,Vegan,&Weight loss)

Options
12346»

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I apologize for coming across as attacking you. That was not my intent, but I can come across as terse on the internet, especially as my time was compressed. You would be amazed at how often vegetarians hear this theory repeated as gospel, even by doctors and nutritionists. Even though Francis Lappe recanted it in 1981:

"With three important exceptions, there is little danger of protein deficiency in a plant food diet. The exceptions are diets very heavily dependent on fruit or on some tubers, such as sweet potatoes or cassava, or on junk food (refined flours, sugars, and fat). Fortunately, relatively few people in the world try to survive on diets in which these foods are virtually the sole source of calories. In all other diets, if people are getting enough calories, they are virtually certain of getting enough protein."

I am frustrated with the persistence of this defunct theory, and did not intend a personal attack. It causes vegetarians, especially new ones, to worry too much over meal planning, and keeps others from becoming vegetarian, thinking that being vegetarian is far more difficult and complicated than it is.
    I appreciate that you thanked me nicely, instead of attacking me like the other person who quoted my response. I also recently took a nutrition class, and apparently the information that was taught was a bit out of date. I'm a big enough person to admit I may have been wrong. It's always nice when somebody researches a lifestyle before jumping into it. Good for you!