I am giving up

Options

Replies

• stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor done any blood tests? I know people cringe when it comes to lab work, but it can tell you A LOT! It could be the thyroid, for example. I've had mine monitored for a couple years because it fluctuates so much, but always with in normal range. FINALLY, one day, I had it checked and it was out of range. I'm on meds now for it, and (if I'd remember to take them everyday it'd work better, but) I'm losing weight a little easier. I'm also very imaptient, so it doesn't come off nearly fast enough for my liking... It does take time. It's taken me 2 years to drop 25 lbs, 14 of which have been since November.
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough, you will do the work to get it...There is no quick fix, unfortunately. No one is perfect...but you can take one day at a time...
  • jmsouth5
    jmsouth5 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You obviously have hit a lot of nerves here. WE CARE!! Work with us and you will help yourself. Open the food diary, let us in to your world and all this support is here for you, just like it's been here for all of us!! DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T LEAVE HERE! Then you'll really be alone!

Juli
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Giving up is the only unforgivable sin.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    nawwwww.... Don't! I spend 4 years to get to where I am, and I've been... "naughty" for the past few weeks and now I'm working harder again :) Join meh~
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. weight takes a while to be put on (when I was 17 I was 194-198 and my doctor told me I was nearly morbidly obese so I got down to 177 in a year or so, but then once I began college over a 3 year period I gained that back and got up to around 204 pounds.) Weight loss is a journey that has no quick fixes unless you like cut your tummy or put the lapband, but even then someone has to do a lot to ensure they are eating enough nutritionally. It takes time for things to get into motions, don't compare yourself to others just continue to try, you won't be disappointed.

Good luck.
  • seonf
    seonf Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I was once in your shoes. I weighed 135 kg and I would get to a stage where I no longer lost any weight and felt like giving up but something inside me pushed me and told me to keep going. I am glad I listened to that inner voice because I now weigh 83 kg, love life and love myself. I no longer hate myself and am no longer digusted with myself. I love the man I have become and you can do it to. I had club feet and was limited in what I can do, so if I can loose weight anyone can. It's just a amtter of getting out there. And the doctor is wrong, I stopped eating pizza, chocolate drinking pepsi and doing all the things that were making me fat. I had meat and veggies for dinner but if I could do it all again i'd go on weight watchers. So yeah, you can do it. Don't give up, I am sure I saved years from my life.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I wish I had advice for you. I can tell you that I'm down 30 pounds and I have never been happier. I have worked my *kitten* off, it's not easy, but it's so worth it when you look in the mirror and you're happy with how you look.
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's so easy to give up then to keep on trying! This is not easy! If it was, then everyone would be sexy. A quitter never wins and a winner never quits. Which one are you???????
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    There are a few things to remember. You didn't get to where you are by eatting too many salads. You didn't gain it all in a month. You aren't going to lose weight if you keep eating the way you were. You aren't going to lose it all in a month. If you want to lose weight, you have to put in the commitment. I was where you are. I made the choice that I didn't want to live in baggy clothes and hoodies all summer again. I lost 52 pounds in 8 months and went from a size 16 to a 4. I am thrilled!

Remember, if you are working out, you are gaining muscle weight, but you are losing fat. You should take your measurements and record your body fat percentage. Then have someone kidnap your scales for one month. Plan your meals in advance, eat right, don't eat after 7 pm and watch your fat, carbs, calories & sugar. Work out or at least walk for 30 min each day. Your will see a change! If you give up now you will continue to be miserable and you will have to start over again.

When I was a size 1, I weighed 145 pounds. (This was years ago)
    When I was a size 8, I weighed 125 pounds.
    The difference was that my body fat was at 13% when I was a size 1. It was 28% when I was a size 8.
  • blueye17
    blueye17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    dont give up! I remind myself that I did not get where I am at over night, and leaving the place that I am now will not happen over night. Dr. Oz talked about a product called Raspberry Ketones on his show. It is not a new fad. It has been around since 1965 and I have started it and I know there is a difference. you are worth continuing this restructing in your life. you can do it! We can not give up, it is worth having so take small goals. Set your goal for 1 lb a week, then up it. It will work!! And DRINK WATER!!! I get so tired of it sometimes, but it is the bath for your insides. The water flushes out the fat. Keep drinking!!!
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I know motivation is hard sometimes. Maybe you could find a close friend to "compete" with that will keep you motivated. My husband and I are both on here and we try to see who has eaten the healthiest over the day, or who has exercised more,etc. It has really helped me to have somebody really close to me for motivation, and the competition is fun. One thing I've had to deal with though is that he loses weight a lot quicker than me. I've had to realize it's not the weight, it's how you feel. I have to do what's necessary to make me feel better. Continuing to work out even though I've hit that stubborn plateau, again makes me feel better. Weight loss is not easy, it's something that you have to work at every day. Only you can get in the way of your weight loss. I hope you decide to keep at it!
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I CANNOT DO THIS I AM GIVING UP. I JUST CANT SEEM TO STOP EATING THE THINGS I AM EATING I WAS TOLD BY MY DOCTOR NOT TO CUT ANYTHING OUT BUT TO EAT SMALLER PORTIONS AND MY WEIGHT IS STILL NOT DROPPING. I DO WORKOUT 5 DAYS A WEEK BUT OVER THE LAST WEEK I AM REALLY NOT MOTIVATED. I WANT TO TRY EVERY FAD OUT THERE AND THATS NOT GOOD. I HEAR ABOUT 1 THING AND I WANT THE NEXT I WANT TO SEE MY WEIGHT JUST DROP AND ITS NOT HAPPENING. I THOUGHT I WAS DOING REALLY GOOD BUT I AM FAILING. MY FRIENDS ON HERE ARE LOSING WEIGHT AND IM STUCK SOOOOO I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO JUST NOT FEELING IT RIGHT NOW

Well your mind is made up and I guess I understand as weight loss is not for every one and its really hard to make it successful when you cant stop eating. Farewell on your journey but you should keep exercising!

Edit: At least you tried and then gave up after your failure rather than not trying at all.

Wow. Dude with awesome body turns out not to be so good at being sympathetic. I thought this was the motivation and support section? :wink: At least you're hot.

For the original poster (sorry I forgot your name) - Don't throw in the towel just yet! You are worth taking care of. I totally get not being in the right headspace. But.. if you can.. just keep going anyway. Even when you don't feel like it, even when it feels like you'll never get anywhere... just keep doing the right things and something will work!
    Definitely speak with your doc, do some research and maybe try and figure out a way to look at it positively - even if it is only that you ate a piece of fruit instead of a chocolate bar - that IS progress.

Try not to get so down on yourself. You can do this if and when you want to and you are ready to accept that it isn't going to be a perfect journey or look like anyone else's.
  • nomayo
    nomayo Posts: 228
    Options
    1. OPEN UP YOUR DAMN FOOD DIARY
    2. GET RID OF THAT DAMN SCALE
    3. TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS ONCE PER WEEK
    4. DON'T GIVE UP

I haven't lost a pound since last November. It is frustrating and disheartening, but I'll never give up because I see the MEASUREMENTS changing. Stop comparing yourself to your friends. It's your journey, not theirs. It's your genetics, not theirs. It's your successes and failures, not theirs. If you give up now, the dream will be not be improbable, but impossible. Even hanging on by a thread is better than giving up. You can do this, but you have to talk. You have to communicate. Most importantly, you have to LISTEN. Too many ask for help and then want to change things too soon. This is a lifelong journey, not some fly by night tryst with dropping a few pounds. Giving up on yourself is a slow death; an atrophy of your very self. Believe in those who believe in you. In your profile, you mentioned that nothing is possible without Christ. I'm not going to get all religious, but if you quit now you're basically letting the enemy win. He needs this energy from you and he wants to see you frustrated and failing. Do not be tempted by quitting because that's the easy way out. Yeah, Jesus could have been tempted on the mountain but he was like "**** you Satan... you don't tell me what to do." So, the question I ask you is Who's report shall you believe?

This is a beautiful response. I hope you don't give up. Is not easy, but we all are trying to get healthier. Don't give up. I hope you go over this soon, Hugs.
  • ukloveme
    ukloveme Posts: 125
    Options
    Look in the miirror and say i will do this, no one is more important than me I will figure this out. People are here to help you
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've been eating so much better, and getting in exercise. My numbers haven't been going down as much as I would like, but my clothes are looser. I've lost 2" on my hips and thighs. So don't always go by the numbers, they can really be a downer.

You won't regret trying again tomorrow, but you will regret it if you just give up.

Please don't give up. Take the day off, don't panic. Find something motivational ( I use the Fitness boards on Pinterest). Look through a page of photos and stoke that inner fire!!!

One day at a time, One pound at a time, One meal at a time.

<3
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Do not give up. Don't look at what you doing, just to lose weight, look at it as a way of life. Look at it for the health benefit of it and maybe that will keep you motivated. I am not losing anything either, but I can tell you this, working out has mad me feel better mentally and physically & guess what? Nobody can not tell me that I do not look good....lol.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. weight takes a while to be put on (when I was 17 I was 194-198 and my doctor told me I was nearly morbidly obese so I got down to 177 in a year or so, but then once I began college over a 3 year period I gained that back and got up to around 204 pounds.) Weight loss is a journey that has no quick fixes unless you like cut your tummy or put the lapband, but even then someone has to do a lot to ensure they are eating enough nutritionally. It takes time for things to get into motions, don't compare yourself to others just continue to try, you won't be disappointed.

Good luck.

Surgery and lap band is no easy journey either. You have to deal with a painful surgical recovery and scars. They also put you on a special diet for lap band. (that you must stay on to keep the results after the loss, many gain the weight back). There is no easy solution. The only way to make the journey easy is to mentally prepare yourself and accept that this is a permanent life change. It isn't a diet... its a totally new way of living. You can never go back to your previous habits again. MFP isn't a means to a goal weight. MFP is a means to a new way of living.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,004 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Tell the voices in your head to shut up!:noway:
    Sounds like your doctor is giving you good advice. Go buy a scale to make sure your portions are right, add in a FUN workout (I love Zumba), and find somethings you love to eat that are healthy.

Good luck! If I can do this, so can you!:drinker:
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You know I don't lose weight easy and I have been at it for a long time and right now the scales are once again not moving, but I also exercise 5-6 days a week and love it. The one thing I have noticed is that the inches/cm's are moving, my clothes are looser and that is awesome. So just because the scales are not moving maybe the inches are and that in itself is awesome. If you need a friend feel free to add me, I love encouraging my friends here.