Poptarts?

Options

Replies

• g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Poptarts or Fig Newtons when I do the 40 mile bike ride or before vigorous cycling.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts are Grim! :-/ In no way are they part of a healthy lifestyle.

You want quick carbs? Put a slice of wholemeal toast in the toaster. Not as many carbs granted, but so much better for you.
    Subjective. A healthy lifestyle just isn't about the food you eat. You could eat as clean as you want, not exercise, be stressed out, not get enough rest, live in an environment that's toxic, etc. and definitely be worse off than eating a couple of Poptarts once in awhile.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten poptarts since they stopped selling the non-frosted kind (in my area). I think they are too sweet when frosted.

I do applaud them for their commercials showing a machine shooting goo into the poptart. Why pretend it's "fruit" when everyone loves the goo? Embrace the goo!!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them all the time to but to make my but big not my muscles. If I want some carbs with low fat I will eat some steel cut oats mixed with some fat free greek yogurt, carbs and protien. Or some nice whole grain bread some really nice like Nutty Oat or similiar with a tablespoon or two of PB.
  • sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    Options
    My husband says they're great for someone who has REALLY burned a lot of calories, like if they just ran 20 miles, but you should never eat them otherwise because they will just make you fat. He tells me to stay away from them because I am not anywhere near that level of fitness. He's in awesome shape so he's probably right!

Your husband is awesome...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My husband says they're great for someone who has REALLY burned a lot of calories, like if they just ran 20 miles, but you should never eat them otherwise because they will just make you fat. He tells me to stay away from them because I am not anywhere near that level of fitness. He's in awesome shape so he's probably right!

Eh. If someone did 400 calories worth of exercise (can be done in an hour or less), you could eat a whole package with no guilt. People here are freaking out about the empty calories....................people who eat Poptarts eat them for TASTE and enjoyment, not because we're very interested in what type of calories they are. If you have room to spare for them in your daily intake and you've met your macro/micro nutrient recommendations, then there's no valid reason (with the exception of being diabetic or some other hormonal issue) that you can't indulge and have it "dismantle" your health.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Eh. If someone did 400 calories worth of exercise (can be done in an hour or less), you could eat a whole package with no guilt. People here are freaking out about the empty calories....................people who eat Poptarts eat them for TASTE and enjoyment, not because we're very interested in what type of calories they are. If you have room to spare for them in your daily intake and you've met your macro/micro nutrient recommendations, then there's no valid reason (with the exception of being diabetic or some other hormonal issue) that you can't indulge and have it "dismantle" your health.
    [/quote]

Oh yes there is! That reason is that toaster strudel's are a much better use of your free calories!

(No I'm not giving this up, and yes I have a lot of free time on my hands at the moment)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Personally I think Ice Cream is a much better alternative if your eating just for enjoyment and have the calories to spare.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Oh yes there is! That reason is that toaster strudel's are a much better use of your free calories!

(No I'm not giving this up, and yes I have a lot of free time on my hands at the moment)
    Lol, sorry but not even a close race here. Poptarts win!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Personally I think Ice Cream is a much better alternative if your eating just for enjoyment and have the calories to spare.
    I'll take ice cream over Poptarts most of the time, but like anything else variety is good. It just depends on how you want to spend those calories. Heck, it might be nachos....................

IDEA Fitness member
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I like the best of both worlds, I make an ice cream sandwich out of my poptarts. Maybe I'll go ahead and add bacon next time.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    bro5212.jpg

1st time yesterday :)
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options
    If I ate a Poptart for breakfast, no doubt I would be eating fast food by lunch and munching on peanut butter cups that evening. But, I'm not a body builder. :wink:

THIS ^^ :)
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If I bought Poptarts my son would eat the whole box before I got a single bite.

He, like his father, is obnoxiously tall and underweight and eats like a horse. Go genetics:/
  • heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are poptart free for 3 years now. He used to be almost addicted. What bothers me about poptarts is the following. It is almost 200 calories for one pastry.. they come 2 in a pack. There are about 3 different types of sugars in each poptart. They are advertised as a breakfast food, so people buy them for themselves and kids as such, with all the sugar, you are hungry faster. They are not too high in fat and there is an ok amount of fiber, but it doesnt' make up for all the bad. OK... off my poptart soapbox, thank for listening. :happy:
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    the pop tart mini crisps are pretty good! i eat them sometime for a snack
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Freakin love them. Don't allow myself to have them often, but when I do it's worth the whole 400 cals for the 2. Toast one, second stays 'raw'. Mmmmm
  • WhiteMtnChef
    Options
    Not good carbs and bad for diabetics or borderline diabetic or anyone thinking of becoming a diabetic. With that said..I loved them growing up and now I'm diabetic. Type 2. Keep that in mind. Good carbs are fruit, wild rice, Glucerna Shakes.... the list is endless and it doesn't include POP TARTS.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I have been known to eat one or two in a race, disolves quickly and some great quick energy,
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    200 Calories
    5 g of Fat
    140 mg of Sodium
    17 g of Sugar

I can't believe people are saying they are good for you. :frown:

this... i'm not buying this, not until i achieve my weight/fat goal then i'll have this as a treat. now that i still have to cut body fat and pounds then i don't think this will help me