Poptarts?

Options

Replies

• hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Personally I think Ice Cream is a much better alternative if your eating just for enjoyment and have the calories to spare.
    I'll take ice cream over Poptarts most of the time, but like anything else variety is good. It just depends on how you want to spend those calories. Heck, it might be nachos....................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

this makes sense
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScUUpOvrenYuOFTBZBLZp2mou6NC7KaKEbFF-o7FXF1IXCFnDe9w
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Poptarts are crap. Sorry, but if I'm going to eat 200 calories (and that's if I stick to just one), I'd rather hit some whole wheat pita with hummus, or an apple with a small bit of sharp cheddar, or perhaps some greek yogourt with frozen blueberries mixed in.

Heck of a lot less chemicals, too. If I can't pronounce it, I don't eat it.

ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL (WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS), DEXTROSE, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF WHEAT STARCH, GLYCERIN, CRACKER MEAL, SALT, DRIED CHERRIES, DRIED APPLES, LEAVENING ( BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CITRIC ACID, CORN CEREAL, GELATIN, MALIC ACID, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, XANTHAN GUM, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, SOY LECITHIN, RED 40, COLOR ADDED, TURMERIC EXTRACT FOR COLOR, YELLOW 6 LAKE, YELLOW 5 LAKE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, YELLOW 6, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, BLUE 1.
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    0 Nutritonal value do not make them your breakfeast!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Assuming nutrient (both macro and micro) sufficiency from your overall diet, eating pop tarts has zero bearing on your health or fitness goals.

Sorry there are so many people in this thread who do not understand this fact.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Let's see... corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup AND dextrose. Yum yum type 2 diabetes. Jeez, I know these are high in carbs and low in fat but there's gotta be better options! And there's 400 calories in 2 of them, ugh.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Assuming nutrient (both macro and micro) sufficiency from your overall diet, eating pop tarts has zero bearing on your health or fitness goals.

Sorry there are so many people in this thread who do no understand this fact.

THIS
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Good tasting, high carbs, low fat. Great way to get your carbs up with a minimal amount of fat.

A lot of bodybuilders eat them as a post/pre workout carb source.

And then they die at age 50.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

Sorry there are so many people in this thread who do no understand this fact.

THIS

Yup!
  • ltosoni
    ltosoni Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    In my 35 years I've never had one, my kids wouldn't even know what they were if I showed them the box, not sure what's too like, high sugar and no nutritional value to them.
  • capnwo85
    Options
    Good tasting, high carbs, low fat. Great way to get your carbs up with a minimal amount of fat.

A lot of bodybuilders eat them as a post/pre workout carb source.

And then they die at age 50.

ScreenShot2012-03-10at44709PM.png
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    They are delicious..but also high in calories, which is what I happen to be watching to lose weight.

I do eat them occasionally, but you have to watch it because one package holds two poptarts and the serving size is one. So, they are basically treats, or a dessert, that I allow myself to have once or twice a month for good behavior. And, it's amazing how much better they seem to taste to me now that I am savoring them instead of eating them as fast as I can!
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If I ate a Poptart for breakfast, no doubt I would be eating fast food by lunch and munching on peanut butter cups that evening. But, I'm not a body builder. :wink:

I agree! I wanted one the other day and I buy the organic ones.....hello 210 calories for ONE!!!! No thank you!
  • capnwo85
    Options
    If I ate a Poptart for breakfast, no doubt I would be eating fast food by lunch and munching on peanut butter cups that evening. But, I'm not a body builder. :wink:

Self-Control.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I really like poptarts, but I only have them occasionally because it's just not worth the calories most days.
    Most of them have about 400 cals in a pack! Before I ever paid attentions to calories I would eat poptarts as a snack sometimes!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I eat them as a sweet treat and not as a meal replacement. They are far better to me than the 780 calorie REGULAR SIZED milkshake I had at Chick-Fil-A. I think of them as a 200 calorie treat or quick carb source. I don't think a Poptart ever so often will make or break any consistently balanced eating plan.

Now the 1600 calorie Caramel Apple Goldrush I could polish off at Longhorn is another story. I still eat it sometimes, but I share it with someone or leave some of it on the plate. I will not deprive myself of things that I like. I just try to control portions.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I make my BLT's with 16 slices of bacon, lettuce and tomato and put it between two toasted Pop Tarts. Cherry works best.

:love: :love:
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options

ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL (WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS), DEXTROSE, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF WHEAT STARCH, GLYCERIN, CRACKER MEAL, SALT, DRIED CHERRIES, DRIED APPLES, LEAVENING ( BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CITRIC ACID, CORN CEREAL, GELATIN, MALIC ACID, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, XANTHAN GUM, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, SOY LECITHIN, RED 40, COLOR ADDED, TURMERIC EXTRACT FOR COLOR, YELLOW 6 LAKE, YELLOW 5 LAKE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, YELLOW 6, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, BLUE 1.

I always wonder if the people who say that really read all the ingredients because...they're not that difficult to pronounce. :I
  • capnwo85
    Options

I always wonder if the people who say that really read all the ingredients because...they're not that difficult to pronounce. :I

...and? cals in vs cals out...macros>everything else.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Poptarts are crap. Sorry, but if I'm going to eat 200 calories (and that's if I stick to just one), I'd rather hit some whole wheat pita with hummus, or an apple with a small bit of sharp cheddar, or perhaps some greek yogourt with frozen blueberries mixed in.

You do realize that EVERYTHING we consume if broken down to it's simplest form would probably be a chemical you couldn't pronounce.

The apple you spoke is chemically broken down as:

Energy 229 kJ (54 kcal) Vitamins Tyr 5 mg
    Water 85.3 g Carotene 45 µg Val 12 mg
    Protein 0.3 g Vitamin E 490 µg
    Lipids 0.4 g Vitamin K 0-5 µg Carbohydrates
    Carbohydrate 11.8 g Vitamin B1 35 µg Glucose 2210 mg
    Organic acids 0.6 g Vitamin B2 30 µg Fructose 6040 mg
    Fiber 2.3 g Nicotinamide 300 µg Sucrose 2470 mg
    Minerals 0.3 g Pantothenic acid 100 µg Starch 600 mg
    Vitamin B6 45 µg Sorbit 510 mg
    Minerals Biotin 1-8 µg
    Sodium 3 mg Folic acid 7 µg Lipids