Dog Owners/Runners

Options

Replies

• strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I have a 200 lb English Mastiff and an 80 lb Chocolate lab. I know exactly how you feel about running in a sketch area. I go running down on what we call "The Island". It gets creepy, and there has been creepsters that creep around it. I take BOTH my dogs with me.....a 200 lb beast and an 80 lb hyper maniac. I'm 5'3...on a good day and 120 lbs. I use an agitation harnesses. I found that the full body harnesses that go around the neck, down the front, and around the body work the best. It keeps them both at bay and I still feel 100% safe!
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have a boxer and we tried a gentle leader on her and got really negative reactions from people when they would pass by us. When people see a big dog with something around their muzzle they automatically assume the dog is dangerous. I've had people tell me that's good that you have that on her so she doesn't bite, when in reality it does nothing of the sort and she would never bite them anyway. I switched to a Top Paw training harness and she does really well with that and now people stop us on the trail saying what a cute friendly dog I have.
  • cmbrysonussery
    cmbrysonussery Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I own Siberian Huskies (born pullers as sled dogs), and rescue them.

Depending on how your baby pulls, there are a couple of options. I usually start with a "no pull" harness that essentially gets tighter under their front legs with they pull. If they just want to run hard straight in front pulling your arm out of socket, try the harness where the lead snaps in front, so it turns them around when they pull. There is also the gentle leader that goes around the nose, which is great for those that pull left, right, left. :)

I don't like just a collar as it puts pressure on the ocular (eye) nerves and throat.

Hope that helps!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I think I will try the harness and see how that works out!
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    I honestly can't believe I am reading that people on here are using prong collars (banned in several countries) choke collars and gentle leaders or haltis while running their dogs let along walking them :o

Why don't the next time you go for a walk/run try them on yourself and I mean like how they are meant to be used i.e prongs tight round your neck and gentle leaders pulling up on your arm pits, bet it's not fun and the reason your dog doesn't pull wearing these things is cause it's scared of the pain

Why not just use good old fashioned training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    I own Siberian Huskies (born pullers as sled dogs), and rescue them.

Depending on how your baby pulls, there are a couple of options. I usually start with a "no pull" harness that essentially gets tighter under their front legs with they pull. If they just want to run hard straight in front pulling your arm out of socket, try the harness where the lead snaps in front, so it turns them around when they pull. There is also the gentle leader that goes around the nose, which is great for those that pull left, right, left. :)

I don't like just a collar as it puts pressure on the ocular (eye) nerves and throat.

Hope that helps!

Seriously!!!!!!

I own 5 siberian huskies, technically got 6 at mo as one I bred is back for rehoming and I have fostered and worked for a husky welfare group in the UK for 5 years - never once have I had to use anything other than a normal semi slip collar or walking harness

Maybe if you let them do what they love to do i.e. RUN then they wouldn't be so bad, I take mine out on the trails with a rig and let them do what they love and in the winter they pull a sled, burns off their energy
  • Thepamster7
    Options
    I have been where you r. The Easy Walk brand harness with o ring on the chest. What a difference it made for me and my Maggie girl. Also....VERY important...keep your dog on a short leash at your side. Ditch the retractable leash. NEVER allow him out in front of you to be the leader. You will be surprised at how quickly he "gets it". Good luck.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Bump... I run with my 11 month old Beagle mix and she is a puller! I've noticed increased pain on my left side from her constant pulling since she runs on the left. I'm interested in other suggestions as well.

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

What do you think this is?

Answer: Training!
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    i have a staffordshire bull terrier, he went mental on a halti so i stuffed that idea, i use a harness on him and an extendable lead so if he runs faster then thats cool, i know i have to hold the end of it but i tried the harness around my waist and my dog ; he saw a duck and i was nearly in the canal! it depends on your dogs behaviour regarding waist harnesses. love your dog. beautifull.x
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I have to use a pinch collar, no mater what I do, with a regular collar my lab pulls like crazy. With the pinch collar walking and running is enjoyable for both of us.
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    I have a 11 month old goldendoodle Riley. I use the gentleleader with her (can find it at a petstore or amazon i'm sure). It sounds like the Halti some people have noticed. A thin strap goes around her nose. At first it bugged her, but once we get running she doesnt notice it and behaves AMAZINGLY!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't believe I am reading that people on here are using prong collars (banned in several countries) choke collars and gentle leaders or haltis while running their dogs let along walking them :o

Why don't the next time you go for a walk/run try them on yourself and I mean like how they are meant to be used i.e prongs tight round your neck and gentle leaders pulling up on your arm pits, bet it's not fun and the reason your dog doesn't pull wearing these things is cause it's scared of the pain

It is great to have your opinion but your judgements on other people and how they train their dogs are not welcome. This isnt a post to bash people.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    Bump... I run with my 11 month old Beagle mix and she is a puller! I've noticed increased pain on my left side from her constant pulling since she runs on the left. I'm interested in other suggestions as well.

use a walkie belt
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options

bump
  • kirstyg1980
    Options

What do you think this is?

Answer: Training!

imposing pain = training, don't think so
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

An easy walk harness doesn't pull under the arm pits or cause pain. Before you start chastising people for what they are using, you might want to educate yourself on the subject. The gentle leader head harness doesn't cause pain either, it turns the dog's head which keeps them from pulling.

To the OP, with a powerful breed like a pit bull, I would use the gentle leader head harness, personally. Especially since you will be running with him.

Just remember that he needs to get into condition, just like you had to. He can't run as far a you can at this point and will need to build up his endurance. Make sure to carry water for him when you are running with him, too.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options

It is great to have your opinion but your judgements on other people and how they train their dogs are not welcome. This isnt a post to bash people.

fair enough, all of you continue to hurt your animals but just remember the prong collar is banned in several countries - does that not tell you something??????
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I dont think you know what the gentle leader is...
    I own the gentle leader and it has nothing to do with the arm pits. It is a thin strap that goes around her nose and then the collar snaps behind her head..... Does not pull on her arm pits at all.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options

An easy walk harness doesn't pull under the arm pits or cause pain. Before you start chastising people for what they are using, you might want to educate yourself on the subject. The gentle leader head harness doesn't cause pain either, it turns the dog's head which keeps them from pulling.

To the OP, with a powerful breed like a pit bull, I would use the gentle leader head harness, personally. Especially since you will be running with him.

Just remember that he needs to get into condition, just like you had to. He can't run as far a you can at this point and will need to build up his endurance. Make sure to carry water for him when you are running with him, too.

ok sorry I was thinking of another one but like a halti anything round the head and pulled back will cause whip lash - any of you ever had it??????