Dog Owners/Runners

Options

Replies

• Bradleyjah
    Bradleyjah Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not to be judge-y or anything, but for those recommending the Gentle Leader nose harness, I think the instructions say not to use it to run with your dog. Apparently, it restricts the dog's ability to open his mouth and cool down...and it can lead to overheating. So, I'd just recommend being really careful with anything restricting a dog's mouth during strenuous exercise. I'm in the South, and I've heard of too many dogs overheating when the weather heats up.

Charlie and I use the Gentle Leader O ring harness and that works fine (when adjusted properly), but you have to be more conscious of your pup because a quick stop at full speed can cause him to tumble when the leash tightens (that's not a problem for us because we run fairly slow and Charlie takes lots of stops to smell the metaphorical roses).

Hey,
    I used the training manual with the gentle leader and I dont remember it saying anything about now running with it on. Trust me, my dog has full ability to eat, drink, lick, whatever she wants to do with that thing on.

I'm sorry. You're actually right. It says not to keep it tight for very long because they can't pant, which with the way my dog wanders sometimes was a concern (and probably why I associated it with "no running"). Plus, for him, it wasn't a good fit and rubbed his nose. Thanks for the correction!
  • Pesan915
    Pesan915 Posts: 3
    Options
    I honestly can't believe I am reading that people on here are using prong collars (banned in several countries) choke collars and gentle leaders or haltis while running their dogs let along walking them :o

Why don't the next time you go for a walk/run try them on yourself and I mean like how they are meant to be used i.e prongs tight round your neck and gentle leaders pulling up on your arm pits, bet it's not fun and the reason your dog doesn't pull wearing these things is cause it's scared of the pain

Why not just use good old fashioned training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, oh wise canine guardian? How do you propose TRAINING an unruly 100 lb dog without them? Treats? Because I can promise you, a great dane that wants to chase a cat is NOT going to choose not to because I wave a little hot dog under his nose. The harnesses and such are far more gentle than even a regular collar is. A regular collar on a dog that pulls can collapse a thrachea. I have spent many years training dogs for service industry, home purposes and even K-9 law enforcement training. You know what else isnt fun? Having your dog pull so hard you hit the pavement, or they get away from you and hit by a car. THAT is not fun.

Amen!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I have been where you r. The Easy Walk brand harness with o ring on the chest. What a difference it made for me and my Maggie girl. Also....VERY important...keep your dog on a short leash at your side. Ditch the retractable leash. NEVER allow him out in front of you to be the leader. You will be surprised at how quickly he "gets it". Good luck.

This is a BIG part of it!!!!!!!!!!! You can find a short leash at petsmart even. My danes were not allowed to walk ahead at any time. It is a dominance thing. I AM LEADER OF THE PACK. NOT YOU!!!!! They learn fast. The harnes, a shorter leash, and lots of praise when you get home should snap him into shape in no time.

Yes, I am the pack leader! haha, I train him with tough love. I keep the leash very short, but he just doesnt seem to get it. The only time the leash seems to be at a J shape is when I take him for the real long walks and he is tired on the way home :)
  • SnookiBaby92
    Options
    Hi Yall!

I am currently training for my first half marathon. I have a spot that I love to run outdoors, but the area can be sketchy at certain times of the day. Very early, and late at night. I love this trail becasue I ran a couple 5k races there before, and I know the exact distance I am running.

I have a 2 1/2 year old Pit bull/bull dog mix that I would love to take running with me when I go to my fave running spot. HOWEVER he is a maniac on a normal leash when I try to run with him. LOL it is NOT SAFE at all.

Are there any certain harnesses, gentle leaders, etc. that will keep him by my side at my pace?

Tosco & I thank you :)

y.jpg

Your dog is gorgeous :heart:
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I have a boxer and we tried a gentle leader on her and got really negative reactions from people when they would pass by us. When people see a big dog with something around their muzzle they automatically assume the dog is dangerous. I've had people tell me that's good that you have that on her so she doesn't bite, when in reality it does nothing of the sort and she would never bite them anyway. I switched to a Top Paw training harness and she does really well with that and now people stop us on the trail saying what a cute friendly dog I have.

People are ignorant. I tend not to worry about them. lol
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't believe I am reading that people on here are using prong collars (banned in several countries) choke collars and gentle leaders or haltis while running their dogs let along walking them :o

Why don't the next time you go for a walk/run try them on yourself and I mean like how they are meant to be used i.e prongs tight round your neck and gentle leaders pulling up on your arm pits, bet it's not fun and the reason your dog doesn't pull wearing these things is cause it's scared of the pain

Okay, oh wise canine guardian? How do you propose TRAINING an unruly 100 lb dog without them? Treats? Because I can promise you, a great dane that wants to chase a cat is NOT going to choose not to because I wave a little hot dog under his nose. The harnesses and such are far more gentle than even a regular collar is. A regular collar on a dog that pulls can collapse a thrachea. I have spent many years training dogs for service industry, home purposes and even K-9 law enforcement training. You know what else isnt fun? Having your dog pull so hard you hit the pavement, or they get away from you and hit by a car. THAT is not fun.

Simple. It starts when they're a puppy.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options

Research the bred of dog you want and if you know you can't handle it go for something a little smaller, I also know someone who owns great danes and she is tiny and controls two at a time without any no pull aids

can't you use a normal walking harness??

As I said I walk 3 huskies, who were bred not only for pulling sleds in the winter but hunted reindeer in the winter and have an incredible hunting instinct, so anything from squirrel to a deer is fair game as far as they are concerned, the dog(s) need to obey what you say not what they think they should do. While out running a simple "on by" command and my huskies will just keep running past what ever has caught their eye whether its a patch of smelly grass or a cat
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options

excellent!!!

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    So it's okay if I have a rescue dog I got when he was older?

Thanks
  • horror_hamster
    Options

And those of us who rescue animals from unruly and abusive homes? what then?
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My parents Trained both their Dorgs - Rodesian ridgeback & Vizsla, witch shock collars. I can take both of them on runs with me and they do not DARE stray. They have both been shocked only once for trying to take off. Now, I just put the collars on them and they do not leave my side no matter where we are...walks, dog park, pets mart. They are saints!

I am PRO shock collar. To me, it is like getting a spanking when you were little. I never did that again. I would like to try the shock collar method my parents used, but my BF is too much of a softy, and probably would leave me if I did :)

Thank you to everyone who provided POSOTIVE feedback and their experience with different training methods. I will try them out untill I find a good fit :)

Jenna

Just get a collar for him, you and I both know you only have to do the "shock" one time... and he will listen, just do it when your BF is not around...and then show him how well he listens just from the "beep" bahahaha..... since he does not use one, he will not know the difference...
    this is your dog, your arms, your back and your running..... BF can either train the dog himself to run properly or you can use a shock collar....simple as that....
  • JennaM222
    Options
    So it's okay if I have a rescue dog I got when he was older?

Thanks

My dog is a rescue dog as well, got him when he was roughly 2 years old. They found him under a deck at a horders home that had been abonded with a few other dogs :(
  • JennaM222
    Options
    My parents Trained both their Dorgs - Rodesian ridgeback & Vizsla, witch shock collars. I can take both of them on runs with me and they do not DARE stray. They have both been shocked only once for trying to take off. Now, I just put the collars on them and they do not leave my side no matter where we are...walks, dog park, pets mart. They are saints!

I am PRO shock collar. To me, it is like getting a spanking when you were little. I never did that again. I would like to try the shock collar method my parents used, but my BF is too much of a softy, and probably would leave me if I did :)

Thank you to everyone who provided POSOTIVE feedback and their experience with different training methods. I will try them out untill I find a good fit :)

Jenna

Just get a collar for him, you and I both know you only have to do the "shock" one time... and he will listen, just do it when your BF is not around...and then show him how well he listens just from the "beep" bahahaha..... since he does not use one, he will not know the difference...
    this is your dog, your arms, your back and your running..... BF can either train the dog himself to run properly or you can use a shock collar....simple as that....

He is "Our dog". I dont want to go behind his back, but I will try talking to him. I know stronger dogs need mroe forceful means of training/tough love than the smaller ones. Or at least I think they do! thanks for the input!!!!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just my experience (I haven't read the whole topic)

I have a large, 2.5 year old black lab who is a nightmare on the lead except when we're running. It took training but I have a different, distinct lead for when we run and have always ran with him on my right hand side, keeping the lead fairly short initially but now it's long. I also make sure he gets lots of praise when we get back and take treats with me to praise him when he ignores other dogs/ducks/cats
  • Bradleyjah
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Like others have said, what about rescues?!

Also, on another note, let's dial back the judgement a bit. Obviously, everyone on here loves their dogs and wants to do whatever is best for their pup. I'd certainly rather have any one of these folks (who go to the actual effort to discuss their dogs...even on an exercise website!) taking care of a dog than have any dog roaming the streets or in a shelter (like where I found my guy). If you have helpful tips, let's hear them, but don't get all up in arms because people do things different than you. All dogs are different and may have different needs (e.g. my dog literally does not respond to treats...he responds to tennis balls, frisbees, and petting...that has made training on some things pretty difficult)....let's respect that.

*steps off soapbox*
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    easy walk harness works great! :)
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Most dogs deal well with running. They don't have time to get too focused on distractions like they do on walks. Chances are you will be fine.

Prong collars aren't the end of the world, however they are often not fitted correctly and used wrong.

If your dog is horrible running with you, I would suggest shelling out $100 bucks or so to have a one time session with a trainer to learn good tips.

My dog trainer at Petsmart (not known for having the best trainers, but I love mine) was able take different merchandise from the store and let me see multiple options. I use a gentle leader on my puppy and a normal harness (not anti-pull) on my 5 year old pit bull.

Be careful, because a lot of harness will say anti pull, but actually help the dog pull harder.
  • FadedFreckles
    FadedFreckles Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Animal abuse and lying to a partner in one fell swoop! Do you get bonus points?
  • Bradleyjah
    Options

Jenna

He is "Our dog". I dont want to go behind his back, but I will try talking to him. I know stronger dogs need mroe forceful means of training/tough love than the smaller ones. Or at least I think they do! thanks for the input!!!!

I'm not a shock collar person either, but there's a good alternative. It's a remote "spray collar" that does the beeps like a shock collar but the "enforcement" is just a quick spray of citronella, which breaks their focus and annoys the dog. I only use collar when we're off leash and only use the spray in emergencies (e.g. if he locks in on something and essentially can't hear me)...the rest of the time, he responds to beeps. The beeps have been a great tool for teaching "leave it" and for reinforcing our non-emergency "come" command. It's also very humane (in my opinion).