Dog Owners/Runners

Options

Replies

• ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't believe I am reading that people on here are using prong collars (banned in several countries) choke collars and gentle leaders or haltis while running their dogs let along walking them :o

Why don't the next time you go for a walk/run try them on yourself and I mean like how they are meant to be used i.e prongs tight round your neck and gentle leaders pulling up on your arm pits, bet it's not fun and the reason your dog doesn't pull wearing these things is cause it's scared of the pain

Why not just use good old fashioned training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*looks at my soapbox*...nope... not gonna go there today...

Any tool can be painful if used incorrectly. Most people DO NOT want to cause pain to their dogs, so assuming that everything other than a collar is painful is just plain incorrect.

Why not give people the benefit of the doubt, and show some respect.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Try a walking harness or a Gentle Leader (a no-pull collar that goes around the head). My lab/boxer mix still pulls on a walk/run with his walking harness. I've been thinking of trying the Gentle Leader again now that he's a bit older and is used to harness and muzzles.

Make sure the leash stays in a "J " shape when walking. One strong tug and you'll faceplant. I've come close.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    either the Halti or the one that puts pressure under the armpits from the front. I used to have Great Danes and one was bad on leash, but those harnesses worked.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

It is great to have your opinion but your judgements on other people and how they train their dogs are not welcome. This isnt a post to bash people.

fair enough, all of you continue to hurt your animals but just remember the prong collar is banned in several countries - does that not tell you something??????

Ah, I see. You grouped the prong collar in there with the other noninvasive ones.

Ditto the request that you learn about what you're spouting off on.

FWIW I totally agree on the prong collars - they look barbaric.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    I honestly can't believe I am reading that people on here are using prong collars (banned in several countries) choke collars and gentle leaders or haltis while running their dogs let along walking them :o

Why don't the next time you go for a walk/run try them on yourself and I mean like how they are meant to be used i.e prongs tight round your neck and gentle leaders pulling up on your arm pits, bet it's not fun and the reason your dog doesn't pull wearing these things is cause it's scared of the pain

Any tool can be painful if used incorrectly. Most people DO NOT want to cause pain to their dogs, so assuming that everything other than a collar is painful is just plain incorrect.

I've seen the damage first hand of what these things do to dogs

I can walk 3 siberian huskies (dogs bred to pull 40 times their own weight each) at once using nothing but a walkie belt, 3 leads and walking harnesses - simples, it's all in the training and commands
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    Hey! My pup is like that too. I would recommend a halti head harness or a Sensible front harness. Personally, since I have a dog that people THINK is a pitbull (she's not people are just stupid) I don't prefer a head harness. I tried it and people thought it was a muzzle of sorts which just led to complications.

The sensible front harness is the brand I'd recommend. It's fantastic.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    after years of working for the siberian husky welfare association (UK) and in vets I do know what I am talking about, regards to the whip lash from the head halti based techniques - why not instead of bashing me on giving an honest opinion do you not do some research on the web to find out the truth of such things

remember diet coke might be advertised as good for you but is it really???
  • Pesan915
    Pesan915 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey whats up, I myself have a female German Shepherd which I take on my morning jogs or on the bike. Dogs if not trained, all they want to do is run wild and it can be pretty anoying when your trying to have him/her go next to you. Thats why the FIRST thing you need to do is watch a video onhow to make your dog "heel" next to you. Best equipment you can use is a prong collar. Remember your dog is pretty big and needs a firm correction. Is a training that doesnt take long for your dog to learn but then again it all depends on you to take your time and him. It's also very important for you to show love to him/or her whenever you make a correction or when they do it right, but dont worry the video will give you all the details. Good luck, if you need any help just ask :smile:
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I have been where you r. The Easy Walk brand harness with o ring on the chest. What a difference it made for me and my Maggie girl. Also....VERY important...keep your dog on a short leash at your side. Ditch the retractable leash. NEVER allow him out in front of you to be the leader. You will be surprised at how quickly he "gets it". Good luck.

Just FYI for the bully owner - the Easy Walk harness is a great tool, but if you have a deep yet wide (or narrow) chested dog, it can be hard to fit. I tried that first for my lab mix and because he's part boxer he has a deep yet narrow chest. I could never get it snug enough to do the job properly and because it was too loose, it caused some chafing in the shoulder area.

Anything you try, make sure you go to store that has a lenient return policy (like Petsmart). Keep your receipts until you find what works!
  • horror_hamster
    Options

amen!

My beagle runs like a maniac sometimes (when she sees a bunny or a bird), i always use either a collar (just around her neck) or a cheap harness (that goes down her back and around her shoulders with just a generic straight 6' leash. I am careful and use the items properly and i'm proud to say she has NEVER been hurt. EVER.

as long as you use it properly and aren't abusive, there is no need for these things to be "chastised". it's the idiots who yank and jerk their dogs around while using these items that cause the pain. If you care for your animal in general, you wont be causing harm with these items. just sayin'.
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    LOL, I have a pit mix the exact same age, and it's so hard to run with her. When I start even a slow jog, she thinks, "Oh, we're running?" and starts running like a maniac. She doesn't seem to understand that there is a speed in-between not moving and going 100 mph. I think I'll try one of these harnesses, too. Running is hard enough without all the extra distractions of a dog all over the place.
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options

It is great to have your opinion but your judgements on other people and how they train their dogs are not welcome. This isnt a post to bash people.

fair enough, all of you continue to hurt your animals but just remember the prong collar is banned in several countries - does that not tell you something??????

It's all a matter of preference. Have you ever heard of Marley & Me? My vet is the vet that operated on Marley and she uses a prong collar on her Pit Bull. She's a nationally recognized veterniarian and VERY good at what she does.

The OP was asking for advice, not someone to come on here and rip everyone to shreds for how they choose to train their dogs.

Everyone has their own opinions, if you're not going to be open to hearing what other people have to say, it's best to not comment at all.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I have trained my dogs in the past using choke collars, then I got into clicker obedience training and now I use electronic collars.

I run with both of my dogs off leash, a german shepherd and a cocker spaniel cross.... the best thing I have ever done is used an electronic collar.

I do NOT shock them with it, no need for it, they listen and their response time is unbelieveable. If they don't listen for whatever reason...all I have to do is "beep" them, the sec they hear the beep....they do whatever I asked...

I call it "getting a brain"....the minute I put the electonic collars on them, they both become incredibly intelligent :wink:
  • Bradleyjah
    Bradleyjah Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Maybe thats a good thing! You can run really fast! hehehe, sorry no real advice. My dog is slow and likes to stop every few minutes to sniff and he is a horrible running partner. If you can't find something for the dog, consider a new location. You can get apps for your phone that can calculate distance if that is a concern.

That sounds like my guy (Charlie). He does a lot of things well (retrieve, catch frisbees, plays with other dogs, nice to kids, snuggles, goes to Braves games, etc.), but he's just not a long-distance runner. He likes to stop and smell everything...and once he gets a little winded, the pee breaks increase dramatically (Hey, Charlie! I'm onto you...you don't really have to pee that much...you're just tired!)!

My advice to the OP would be to start slow with your pup. When Charlie and I do run together, I have to remember that he doesn't run 4-5 miles like me....so, we start with a mini-Couch to 5K training plan for him!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    i'd have a hard time running with him too....he looks like such a little snuggle bug I'd never want to leave the couch
  • Bradleyjah
    Bradleyjah Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not to be judge-y or anything, but for those recommending the Gentle Leader nose harness, I think the instructions say not to use it to run with your dog. Apparently, it restricts the dog's ability to open his mouth and cool down...and it can lead to overheating. So, I'd just recommend being really careful with anything restricting a dog's mouth during strenuous exercise. I'm in the South, and I've heard of too many dogs overheating when the weather heats up.

Charlie and I use the Gentle Leader O ring harness and that works fine (when adjusted properly), but you have to be more conscious of your pup because a quick stop at full speed can cause him to tumble when the leash tightens (that's not a problem for us because we run fairly slow and Charlie takes lots of stops to smell the metaphorical roses).
  • galegetsthin
    Options

Okay, oh wise canine guardian? How do you propose TRAINING an unruly 100 lb dog without them? Treats? Because I can promise you, a great dane that wants to chase a cat is NOT going to choose not to because I wave a little hot dog under his nose. The harnesses and such are far more gentle than even a regular collar is. A regular collar on a dog that pulls can collapse a thrachea. I have spent many years training dogs for service industry, home purposes and even K-9 law enforcement training. You know what else isnt fun? Having your dog pull so hard you hit the pavement, or they get away from you and hit by a car. THAT is not fun.
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Not to be judge-y or anything, but for those recommending the Gentle Leader nose harness, I think the instructions say not to use it to run with your dog. Apparently, it restricts the dog's ability to open his mouth and cool down...and it can lead to overheating. So, I'd just recommend being really careful with anything restricting a dog's mouth during strenuous exercise. I'm in the South, and I've heard of too many dogs overheating when the weather heats up.

Charlie and I use the Gentle Leader O ring harness and that works fine (when adjusted properly), but you have to be more conscious of your pup because a quick stop at full speed can cause him to tumble when the leash tightens (that's not a problem for us because we run fairly slow and Charlie takes lots of stops to smell the metaphorical roses).

Hey,
    I used the training manual with the gentle leader and I dont remember it saying anything about now running with it on. Trust me, my dog has full ability to eat, drink, lick, whatever she wants to do with that thing on.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    My parents Trained both their Dorgs - Rodesian ridgeback & Vizsla, witch shock collars. I can take both of them on runs with me and they do not DARE stray. They have both been shocked only once for trying to take off. Now, I just put the collars on them and they do not leave my side no matter where we are...walks, dog park, pets mart. They are saints!

I am PRO shock collar. To me, it is like getting a spanking when you were little. I never did that again. I would like to try the shock collar method my parents used, but my BF is too much of a softy, and probably would leave me if I did :)

Thank you to everyone who provided POSOTIVE feedback and their experience with different training methods. I will try them out untill I find a good fit :)

Jenna
  • galegetsthin
    Options
    I have been where you r. The Easy Walk brand harness with o ring on the chest. What a difference it made for me and my Maggie girl. Also....VERY important...keep your dog on a short leash at your side. Ditch the retractable leash. NEVER allow him out in front of you to be the leader. You will be surprised at how quickly he "gets it". Good luck.

This is a BIG part of it!!!!!!!!!!! You can find a short leash at petsmart even. My danes were not allowed to walk ahead at any time. It is a dominance thing. I AM LEADER OF THE PACK. NOT YOU!!!!! They learn fast. The harnes, a shorter leash, and lots of praise when you get home should snap him into shape in no time.