Replies

• janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Hmm, well I did it and was pretty successful during my last half. I think I lift pretty heavy, DL 185, Squat 140, press 75. I weigh 110. My last half was 10 minutes better (2:11) than the half before that. So, IDK.... I felt like I got faster once I started lifting heavy, since the lifting was the major change from one half to the other, (besides diet).

Here was my schedule at the time

Monday, am- crossfit; pm- cycle 1 hour
    Tuesday am- hills or tempo run or repeats
    Wednesday am- crossfit; pm BRICK, (bike 1 hour, 20-30 minute run- tempo)
    Thursday am - medium long run
    Friday am- crossfit; pm- hour+ run easy pace.
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday- Long run

Planning on a similar schedule as I head into another marathon season.

Obviously, this is just my schedule. It's a little nuts I understand that. I'm just pointing out that it's possible to make progress in both areas. I mean how do we really know if we are getting the FULL effect of any one thing all the time. If you are doing things you love and getting stronger and running longer and most importantly setting goals and accomplishing them, you're doing good. Right?

Edited to add: I completely agree that they are opposing forces. Which is why I think it's important to do both if that makes sense. I lost a lot of muscle running endurance WITHOUT lifting. I think it's helpful to do both to hopefully at least maintain.

Strength training is definitely crucial for strong running, but I believe the emphasis here is on "heavy" lifting, as in powerlifting (very heavy weight from 3-5 reps). From what I understand Crossfit is NOT powerlifting, but quite the opposite... higher reps and faster paced. Actually, from everything I've read, Crossfit is probably one of the better forms of strength training for Long Distance Runners. (Basing my reply on the schedule you listed).

I've considered getting into a Crossfit group, but I live no where near any.

It's so much fun!

Our class does a heavy oly lifting component 2-3 times a week in addition to our regular WOD. So, we do do heavy weight, low reps. It's where we focus on technique and form. It's the best part. :happy:
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I run and lift and have been doing both seriously for about a year, although I've been a runner for much longer.
    My current training plan (injuries not withstanding) is:

Mon: Lift
    Tue: Run - usually 5 - 6 miles
    Wed: Lift
    Thur: Run - either hills, intervals, fartlek, tabata sprints or most likelt a faster paced 5 miles.
    Fri: Lift
    Sat: Distance run. Typically 10m to 13 miles
    Sun: Rest

My strength program is the Starting Strength program in which you alternate A & B work outs.

A: Squats, Bench press, Dead lift, dips
    B: Squats, Military press, Barbell Rows, Chins

Are you focusing on one of the two or trying to improve both?

I like to maintain a half mara level of running fitness. I'm not ruling out a mara in the future but it's not a priority for me right now. At the same time I'm hoping to improve my strength.

I want to be fit; not a body builder, and for me that means that I can run fast, have good aerobic capacity, can lift a decent amount, and be flexible and agile. Note: these are goals, I am not there yet, but I do agree with those that say you cannot excel in both long steady cardio disciplines and strength.

Do you ever running hindering your recovery time for lifting or vice versa?

This is very difficult for me to answer because I've been working out at negative cals for a long time. So, my strength gains have now levelled off completely. I will not get any stronger until I eat more to grow more, but at the moment I'm not ready to do that. So, I can't say that my running has had a negative impact upon my strength because my eating has a greater impact and masks any effect from running.

What I can say is that I do not feel that my strength work has had any negative effect on my running, I'm posting similar times now to those when I was running 5 days a week and doing much less (and much less structured; upper body only) strength work.

Pre strength training 1/2 mara times were typically 1hr 40mins, my last half was 1hr 45mins. In my book those times are within the variability of individual events (weather, crowds, hills, etc).

I've got another few lb of fat to get rid of and then I'll maintain for the summer. In the Autumn, once I have a couple of planned halves out of the way, I will start a build cycle, so that will be the time that we see if the lifting really affects the running.

Best wishes all & OP thanks for starting this thread... one of my favourites of recent days.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • GurvD
    GurvD Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • annie24342
    annie24342 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do both! I think distance running and strength training are DEFINITELY great to do together. I just ran my first half in March, I've run a few 5k's and I'm trying for a marathon in the fall. This is what my schedule is like right about now. Although I have to say, it's time consuming to do both!!

Sun: always a rest day
    Mon: weights and elliptical/treadmill for 5 miles
    Tues: 6 mile run up a mountain (hill workout)
    Wed: weights and 5 mile speed run (for me that's only going 7.5 mph for 20 min, then the other 30 is jogging)
    Thurs: 6 mile run
    Fri: weights and easy-ish 5 mile run
    Sat: alternate between 10 miles, 6 miles, and long run (I'm at around 15 miles for my longer run now)

I've been pushing hard at both the lifting and the running. When it comes to about a week or 2 before a race, I slow down the weights a little to focus on running. I haven't gotten any injuries yet, but I've moved up to this pretty gradually. I do think that they complement each other though. Weights make it easier on my legs/hamstrings when I do hill workouts. Also, I can run much faster over hills when I'm racing because of the gym.
    I think it's okay to do both if you ALWAYS take a rest day.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to find the perfect balance in my routine. I lift with a PT 3-4 times per week & try to get a 7-mile run in on at least 2 of those days. My long runs are usually on the weekends, but right now I am prepping for the Century ride on May 5, so I am spending more time in the saddle. After next weekend, I will be hitting the pavement hard to get ready for my upcoming 2 half-marathons this summer.

By the end of the week, I am spent! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Limajuliet
    Limajuliet Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have been training for a 30 mile run and lifting strong lifts 5x5 for 4 months.

my schedule changes all the time because I have little kids and a wife that works full time with a random schedule.
    I lift 3 days a week and Run 3 days a week,
    Sometimes I end up lifting in the morning before work and do a run after work. I run 25-35 miles a week.

My lifts have barely gone up since I started endurance training in earnest.

My normal schedule......( run and lift days get swapped often but I always do my long run on the weekend and always have at LEAST 1 if not 2 days off a week

Monday - lift 5x5
    tuesday run 2-5 miles
    wednesday 5x5
    thursday run 3-7 miles
    friday 5x5
    saterday long run ( 10-25 miles depending on where I was at in the training schedule)
    sunday REST

I am 6 ft tall and am down to 162 lbs.

last fall when I weighed 175 - I was squatting 180, deadlifting 245, benching 135, over head pressing 85
    then I hurt my back and I started the endurance training the same time I got back into 5x5 lifting

I am back up to 160 squats, 200 dead lift, 120 bench, and 90 over head press. I 100% believe that the running is holding me back on my lifting and to maintain my weight I have to eat nearly 3,000 a day even on my rest days.

just eat like a fool and make sure you get rest days. I can squat weight equal to my body weight and run 20+ miles.
    My ultimate goal is to be able to squat and deadlift 2x body weight and bench 1.5x bw and still be able to run 10+ miles any day of the week without thinking twice.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Still trying to find the balance that works for me, thanks for all the helpful information!!

As my mileage goes up for half training, I am planning on cutting back weights to 2xWeek, and running 3xWeek (one short run with intervals, one medium close to race pace, and one long slow) and taking a rest day before, and a day after long runs.

**editing to add, my goals are to get a little faster, I avg 10/mile would like 9/mile, and to cut body fat to goal of 22%
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy doesn't work against you finishing your half, it just doesn't optimize your performance the way endurance lifting would. If you're not trying to be an elite athlete I wouldn't worry about it. Follow a lifting program you enjoy & can feel good about.

This is pretty much my thinking on it too. Could I be a better runner without the heavy lifting? Probably, but I'm decent now, and I'm improving on both fronts. And most importantly, I enjoy my workouts. My current schedule:
    M: Speedwork
    T: Lifting
    W: Tempo run
    Th: Lifting and/or Yoga
    F: Yoga or Lifting
    S: Long run
    Su: Rest

As my mileage increases, I cut back on lifting to twice/week. After races when my mileage is lower, I increase the lifting to 3/week. Right now I'm in between, so it varies.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    My only set day is Tuesday when I usually do a spin class and then upper body weights while my wife goes to the sculpting class; I will also try to run at least 3 times during the week, at least 3 miles per run with a long run on Saturday and 1 day of full body weights.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I tried this route, here's my feedback. I'm a runner, who lifts.

I consider "Long distance" running to be 25+ miles per week, with weekly long runs of 90 minutes or more.
    I consider "heavy lifting" to be 3-5 reps x 3-5 sets. Max effort, with longer breaks between sets.

For a few months, I dabbled in both running and lifting (4 days per week of each) -
    Squats of 225lb (sets)
    Deadlifts of 300lb (sets)
    Bench 175 -200lbs (sets)

My average 10 mile pace (not race), is around 7:45 -8:00mm.

My take - the two events are not compatible. They are opposing forces.

1. The heavy lifting fatigues the legs enough to compromise your run, and your body is always in 'recovery' mode.
    2. Lifting hits the fast-twitch muscles, where LDR hits the slow-twitch muscles. No real benefit.
    3. You will certainly get stronger, and if in a calorie surplus, risk building more muscle, which only serves to work against you on the run.

After I run my marathon in 10 days, I'm going back to regular lifting, except I'll be upping my reps around 12-15, but still where I'm hitting failure. Your body will produce lactic acids at the higher rep range, which helps the running.

That is my take on it.

You're on target with what I had in my mind as far as heavy lifting goes. Is there no way to build up a solid long run without a lot of weekly miles though?
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You might have to re-arange your schedule for doing back and legs. I started running seriously about 3 years ago and always made sure I was never doing legs or lower back when running the same day or especially the day after. I fing if I do a really long distance anything over 15 k, my lower back starts to get a bit sore, but I was told by alot of long distance runners thats normal. I have a buddy I used to see at the gym and he's been running big marathons like the Boston, New york and so forth. He hasn't done a leg workout in 10 years and his legs are quite big. I personally haven't done them either since I started running but I guess it depends how serious of a runner your going to be. If it's just moderate running then don't do any legs or back right before a run. Hope this helps .
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read about weight training and cardio suggests they're counter productive--as others have suggested, because cardio trains one type of muscle fiber while weight training trains the other. Building muscle vs building endurance. It's kind of like eating clean all day long and then finishing the day with a decadent dessert--will you gain weight? maybe. probably over time. But you probably won't lose any either.

This is cliche, but you have to try to find a balance that works for you where you're not over training--only you know what that is. If you're exhausted all the time and running is difficult, you have to scale back on something. I'd rather do cardio any day of the week, but cardio isn't the type of exercise that makes you look lean and sculpted--it's weight training. I'm still trying to figure it out myself.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I do both, but my goal is just to finish my half marathon (in 9 days). I plan to transition to a focus on building speed for a shorter distance from May-August (two shorter speed runs, one 10K run a week) and then I'll just use running as a HIIT tool after that.

So, my previous workout (2x lift, 4x run) has been:
    M - yoga
    T - lift + 15-20 min light cardio
    W - yoga, medium run
    R - medium run
    F - lift + 15-20 min light cardio
    S - yoga, short run
    S - long run

And my new workout will be:
    M - yoga + intervals
    T - lift + 15-20 min light cardio
    W - speed run
    R - yoga, ballet
    F - lift + 15-20 min light cardio
    S - yoga, 10K run
    S - lift + 15-20 min light cardio
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    You might have to re-arange your schedule for doing back and legs. I started running seriously about 3 years ago and always made sure I was never doing legs or lower back when running the same day or especially the day after. I fing if I do a really long distance anything over 15 k, my lower back starts to get a bit sore, but I was told by alot of long distance runners thats normal.....

I guess different people respond to the exercises in different ways but personally, despite squatting three times a week (I currently squat 90kg (198lbs), I've never found that this causes me problems during runs on the following day. maybe I'm a freak but I don't get DOMS from squats in my quads or glutes from lifting.

But, interestingly, I do when I run over 10miles and especially if I've been pushing the pace in say a half mara race. And, like you I find that I get a dull lower back ache (muscular) on longer runs, but I'd put that down to the Dead Lifts but maybe not.

Thanks: It's good to get some decent information on peoples experience with running and strength combined.
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    I do both, but my goal is just to finish my half marathon (in 9 days).

I think you'll complete a half mara in under 9 days hehehhe.