Alright, here's an awkward topic but I need advice/insight

Options

Replies

• dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My son was born with an unbilical hernia and he's now 16 but has to take a laxative everyday. I give him natural Senna tablets. You can get them from WalMart or anywhere, and it can be generic form but it works. Just make sure to drink plenty of water or fluids. In your case I'd definately go to a Gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. Good luck. Not a good feeling!!! :sick:
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! i went 3 weeks recently, got to the point I was in horrible pain and my stomach was distended to the point Iooked like I was 8 months pregnant. After speaking with my Dr I had to take off work and take a bowel prep, 3 bottles of mag citrate, 2 enemas and a darn suppository. It took 3 days for everything to finally work. I lost 11 lbs after I cleaned out the impaction. Once I had gone she had me add metamucil to my diet daily as well as yogurt. I now get worried if I don't go by day 3. See a Dr and get a referral to a GI MD for a scope!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The question isn't how many times a week, the question is how many times a day...

When you eat, and especially chew, it should trigger a natural contraction of your bowels called peristalsis which moves things through. This happens for me almost every meal.

The longer matter stays in your bowels, the more unhealthy it is.

If you have an open mind, go to this site:
    https://www.herbdoc.com/index.php/Store/5-Day-Bowel-Detox-Program-Capsules

I've done this cleanse and it works miracles. All natural.

If you try it you WILL move!

Some people just have naturally slow bowels and it takes some waking up and exercise for them to act regularly.

I am sorry - but there is absolutely no need to do a cleanse and you do not need to "GO' multiple times a day.

Right. I only go the bathroom once every other week and I don't need to clean anything out?

Going multiple times a day is extremely healthy. What's not healthy is having fecal matter stuck in your bowels for weeks on end.

But I'm just one voice in a sea of people who, individually, know everything.

I did NOT say every couple of weeks is OK so I am not sure where you got the idea that I did.

But you did say, you don't need to cleanse, which seems ridiculous since the entire point is to eliminate (cleanse) the fecal matter from the bowels.

And you did say you don't need to go multiple times a day. While technically this is true (proven by the fact the OP is still typing after not having had a BM for two weeks), the fact still remains that having frequent bowel movements is healthy, and it IS the body's natural reaction to try to eliminate waste after eating. Sometimes that reaction is just slowed down by dietary and hereditary factors.

"Cleansing" (aka, eliminating the festering fecal matter) using natural products can strengthen the bowels and make future, regularity possible, because it stimulates the peristalsis response.

Seeing a doctor is a great idea. They will, however, most likely treat your symptom and leave you with a sluggish bowel.

Please could you cite medical references that reference that cleansing (in the context that you inferrred in your post) is healthy and that it is necessary for your health to poop multiple times a day.

BTW: I call having a bowel movement eliminating fecal matter - not cleansing. I eat (natural products) and I poop - there is no need to 'force the issue'. If someone is having problems with going, they should consult a medical professional - 'cleansing' in the way you are referring to i.e. stimulating bowel movements have the same issues as taking laxatives - something not recommended unless there is a medical reason to do so.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have this problem and have had it for years. I've seen drs, had barium both swallow and enema, tried metamucil, lactulose, magnesium, enemas, all kinds of pills, more fibre, less fibre, white diet, fruit, less fruit, prunes, more water, less water etc etc. Nothing was found to be physically wrong when I saw the dr even though I have had blockages (very painful) and at one point I was convinced I had bowel cancer.

So, what I have found to work is:

1. Flax seeds.
    2. More fat in my diet.
    3. Lots of water.
    4. Lowering fruit intake and raising vegetable intake - like a LOT. I just started juicing and since I've had veggie juice 1x a day I seem to go more often.
    5. Steer clear of gluten. When I eat bread I have pain and can't go.
    6. A brisk walk after meals - it helps get everything moving.
    7. Plain yoghurt - not those ridiculous Danone/Dannon things which are a moneypit and don't actually have anything in them (I know as I worked for Danone - Activia is a con).

Hope that helps, and yes, I was a once every 2 weeks to once a month at one point! All the meds were useless, they just made it worse. Good luck!
  • CarbAvor
    CarbAvor Posts: 45
    Options
    My baby, when he was first born, pooped on his own exactly one time. After that THE only way he could was if we gave him a supository (sp). We went through MONTHS of issues and at one point they had to admit him to the hospital for surgery and detox. I feel like some what of an expert on poop. Having it in your body for that long can cause VERY serious issues, including but not limited too DEATH! It CAN poison you! DEMAND that they "fix" you! If you have to, until they do something, take supositorys. It is a glycerin "pill" that... does not go in your mouth. Follow the directions. They are available for purchase ANYWHERE and even the children's ones should be sufficient. My baby's DR said they are safe for anyone with any condition. Don't let them push you off anymore!!
  • CarbAvor
    CarbAvor Posts: 45
    Options
    The question isn't how many times a week, the question is how many times a day...

When you eat, and especially chew, it should trigger a natural contraction of your bowels called peristalsis which moves things through. This happens for me almost every meal.

Some people just have naturally slow bowels and it takes some waking up and exercise for them to act regularly.

I am sorry - but there is absolutely no need to do a cleanse and you do not need to "GO' multiple times a day.

Right. I only go the bathroom once every other week and I don't need to clean anything out?

Going multiple times a day is extremely healthy. What's not healthy is having fecal matter stuck in your bowels for weeks on end.

I did NOT say every couple of weeks is OK so I am not sure where you got the idea that I did.

But you did say, you don't need to cleanse, which seems ridiculous since the entire point is to eliminate (cleanse) the fecal matter from the bowels.

And you did say you don't need to go multiple times a day. While technically this is true (proven by the fact the OP is still typing after not having had a BM for two weeks), the fact still remains that having frequent bowel movements is healthy, and it IS the body's natural reaction to try to eliminate waste after eating. Sometimes that reaction is just slowed down by dietary and hereditary factors.

"Cleansing" (aka, eliminating the festering fecal matter) using natural products can strengthen the bowels and make future, regularity possible, because it stimulates the peristalsis response.

Seeing a doctor is a great idea. They will, however, most likely treat your symptom and leave you with a sluggish bowel.

Please could you cite medical references that reference that cleansing (in the context that you inferrred in your post) is healthy and that it is necessary for your health to poop multiple times a day.

BTW: I call having a bowel movement eliminating fecal matter - not cleansing. I eat (natural products) and I poop - there is no need to 'force the issue'. If someone is having problems with going, they should consult a medical professional - 'cleansing' in the way you are referring to i.e. stimulating bowel movements have the same issues as taking laxatives - something not recommended unless there is a medical reason to do so.

ARE YOU TWO DONE YET!?
  • Sueincanberra
    Options
    Hi,

I had a similar problem, the pain got worse and in the end I was diagnosed as a coeliac.Doctors told me to eat more fibre, and the more I ate, the worse I got, because most of the fibre I ate was wheat based e.g. Bran and Oats. for years I was told I had irritable bowel. When I removed wheat from my diet, my bowels returned to normal - except during the first few days of that time of the month where I retain, but soon return to normal.

My point is not that you might be coeliac, but that maybe something in your diet may not agree with you. For me it was wheat, for you it may be something different. If this is the case and you can identify it, you may improve your situation.

Funny enough, I used to get sick a lot, and when I removed the wheat from my diet, my sinus problem improved, and I got sick a lot less.

Good luck to you.
    Sue
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi, I tried to read all the replies, so not sure if I'm repeating this, but I found that having a glass of grapefruit juice a day really helps.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hi, I tried to read all the replies, so not sure if I'm repeating this, but I found that having a glass of grapefruit juice a day really helps.

I haven't tried grapefruit juice, but I found recently, that if I eat an orange that isn't completely ripe I'll go. Maybe it's the acidic quality that makes things happen? Also, I can eat around 125-150 grams of prunes and that does the trick.

I have to go the natural way because here in Korea, even Aspirin is something I have to ask a pharmacist for. I don't want a million questions about my potty habits so I avoid anything I can't get at a grocery store.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have problems with this as well, but nowhere near as bad as you! Here are some things that help me "go":

kiwis (if you can, with skin or as close to the skin as possible)
    prunes/plums/plum juice
    cabbage/sauerkraut
    Green tea
    yoghurt (partikularly the ones that have probiotics in them)
    beans
    rye bread
    garlic (though that might be just me)
    linseed (f=flax seed)

Be careful not to consume too much kiwis and yoghurt at the same time, the result may be toxic!

Try avoiding potatoes and/or pasta in your diet for a while, see what that does.

surprising but true: real melted CHOCOLATE. It's a calorie bomb of course so I wouldn't recommend it if you're also trying to watch your weight but for some reason it just... makes things move. Add some chili to enhance the effect.
  • beth_816
    beth_816 Posts: 19
    Options

ARE YOU TWO DONE YET!?

^^^^
    Thank you!!!
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I was just at the doctors last week with this issue with my son. He was having terrible pain in his sides. After the xrays came back it showed he was full of matter in his digestive track. The doctor told him to take a fiber drink once a day and eat as much fiber as possible. She also said he should be passing one or two stools easily a day. That is normal.
  • Cravenamanda
    Cravenamanda Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try coffee when I have constipated patients I try 4oz of prune juice with 30ml Milk of Mag with my elderly patients, but I had this patient swear by coffee, so I tried it one day on myself and it worked. It is easier to get down than milk of mag so that is what I use when I feel the need to go but can't. About 16oz black coffee does the trick most of the time.
  • xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other replies as I'm in a hurry to reply before leaving my desk, but I have the same problem if I eat things I'm intolerant to. Have you been tested for anything like food intolerances or celiac disease? If not it might be worth asking for tests. If I stick to an intolerance-free diet I can usually go every day or every other!

Hope you find a solution.

Natalie x
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I read a book that said if the human body is fed correctly we would go poop within an hour of waking up and it would come out so cleanly we don't really need toilet paper. When I am eating good, I do accomplish that (although I do use t.p.!!!) But I also take Metamucil twice a day- 4 teaspoons in a glass of water each time. I take it for lowering cholestrol - you are supposed to take a glass of water with 3 teaspoons of metamucil three times a day- I read it wrong and just stuck with the four spoons (have to drink it quick because it thickens fast) because I only do it twice a day. It works great and it is healthy for you since it will also lower cholestrol!

We discussed this very thing at work the other day and lots of the women do not go every day. I personally do not go every day and I never have. I usually go every three days and sometimes it can stretch to a week but not too often because it gets uncomfortable. I am now drinking 80oz of water every day and it definitely has been helping. So drink more water and I would suggest you take miralax. It's similar to metamucil but it's tasteless and isn't gritty like the other one can be. And while you get fiber in your diet they say we need like 25-30grams a day and that's really hard to get, so maybe start with the miralax and see how you are feeling but you can add a fiber gummy like I take daily.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I went two weeks when I was pregnant and on progesterone. It was horrible. Finally got past it with stool softeners and glycerin suppositories. I took the stool softeners with lots of water morning and night. Took a few days still, but eventually things got moving. If you are impacted, the doctor will stick a gloved finger into your rectum and pull some poop out so the rest has room to move. My husband is a doctor and he has had to do this. Ugly to contemplate, but if you are miserable enough, you won't care.

I've always had a slow bowel. Two fiber-full foods help me: dried apricots and plain bran flakes (not the sugar coated ones).

I've also started drinking an occasional cup of "Dieter's Green Tea" which seems to have something in it to encourage the bowels. However, I probably won't buy more when I'm done with the box. I don't really want those artificial chemical ways of doing things.

Finally, running gets me moving more than any other exercise. You would think any cardio would have that effect, but for me, it is just the running.

Good luck! I'd hate to ask you to post on your "progress," but if you find something that works, I'd like to know it, too!
  • Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I take a fibregel in water every morning - if I do not take it, I do not go....as simple as that. Before I found Fibregel I could be more than a week without going, I now go every day. It is nothing to do with my diet as I am exactly the same if I eat crap (ha ha) or eat good, healthy food. You can buy it over the counter and it may take a few days to work. It is not a laxitive so needs to build up in your bowel to push the waste through - after that - you should go daily. I have been taking it for several years and occasionally stop - thinking I may be ok now - but within days I am back to how I used to be. Also find very offensive wind builds up so I am not a happy person at all!!!!

What a subject!!!!! But at the end of the day that is what we are all here for........Linda
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    These are things that help me go to the bathroom.......
    1- Oranges
    2- Apples
    3- PRUNE JUICE
    4- A glass of milk Real Milk...
    5- Seeds.. Sunflowers
    6- Coffee & a ciagarette (I don't suggest those) but it helps me in the morning
    7- Lots of water with a long walk or the eliptical.
    8- They say chia seeds.

You might want to try asking your doctor again. There might be something he can do... Ummm and some medications can cause this. Im on one that causes it, and I have to take a daily stool softener. Have your doctor make sure you don't have that Crones thing...

Good luck poopin today. Hope everything comes thru for ya... Some of us don't mind this subject. Haah. Its just a body function. Nothing to be embarrased about. Eveybodys gotta poop...
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I probably go about 3 times a day, every day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ARE YOU TWO DONE YET!?

^^^^
    Thank you!!!

Obviously we were (or at least I was) so this little add (which also cluttered up the thread) was unecessary. However, if I see someone recommending something that I do not believe to be healthy I will make comments - and continue to make comments for as long as I feel necessary.