Who is reading "Fifty Shades of Grey" series?

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Ok - curiousity got the better of me and I read the first one. I won't bother with the others. Seriously - Ana was so annoying. And Christian is no Dom. LOL

Besides, how can you tell a halfway decent BDSM story through the eyes of a virgin who doesn't even *kitten* (but somehow manages to be a sex goddess and continually shock him). I mean, really? She used his toothbrush and that was supposedly something SHOCKING to him. And made him admire her? What?! It had great potential as an idea, but the execution is not worth the hype.
    LOL, I know, right? I wanted to gag when he "gasped" because she was wearing his underwear....Seriously? The guy ties women up and whips them, but THIS he finds shocking? Give me a break!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Ok - curiousity got the better of me and I read the first one. I won't bother with the others. Seriously - Ana was so annoying. And Christian is no Dom. LOL

Besides, how can you tell a halfway decent BDSM story through the eyes of a virgin who doesn't even *kitten* (but somehow manages to be a sex goddess and continually shock him). I mean, really? She used his toothbrush and that was supposedly something SHOCKING to him. And made him admire her? What?! It had great potential as an idea, but the execution is not worth the hype.
    LOL, I know, right? I wanted to gag when he "gasped" because she was wearing his underwear....Seriously? The guy ties women up and whips them, but THIS he finds shocking? Give me a break!

LMAO me too!!

And why did he give her her panties back after he banged her in the boat house? What was the point? To "punish" her and make her wear them?

Seriously, the sex is weak at best and the story line is just horrific. I am so annoyed with Ana and Christian and I'm sorry but if I am having a difficult time with him being a Dom. He's made so many concessions with her it's ridiculous. "I don't sleep in the same bed as the woman." And yet he's slept with her three times. I find it hard to believe that he's falling in love with her. I think it's just the sex that she's giving up to him and the fact that he took her virginity. And the ways she keeps "amazing" him are just stupid.

Oh and don't get me started on the "inner goddess" and her "Shaking the pom poms" Please!!

I'm really only going to finish it so that I can write a review on it. I think it was hyped up by under-sexed housewives.
  • jeniley65
    jeniley65 Posts: 35
    Options
    I really like the books. I am the first to say I don't think the writing is great and teh characters and situations are not terribly real but the situations and the style is good - naughty without being smutty.
    Definitely a quick, light read that can get your motor running..
    It sounds like a few of you have other, better suggestions in similar genres - care to share?
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    The Sleeping Beauty Trilogy is a series of three novels written by American author Anne Rice under the pseudonym of A. N. Roquelaure. The trilogy comprises The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, Beauty's Punishment and Beauty's Release, first published individually in 1983, 1984 and 1985 in the United States. They are erotic BDSM novels set in a medieval fantasy world, loosely based on the fairy tale of Sleeping Beauty.

***I'm at the end of this for the second time, if you like this kind of thing the writing is tremendous!***
  • KickassAugust
    Options
    I really like the books. I am the first to say I don't think the writing is great and teh characters and situations are not terribly real but the situations and the style is good - naughty without being smutty.
    Definitely a quick, light read that can get your motor running..
    It sounds like a few of you have other, better suggestions in similar genres - care to share?

:heart: 's smut..
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    The Sleeping Beauty Trilogy is a series of three novels written by American author Anne Rice under the pseudonym of A. N. Roquelaure. The trilogy comprises The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, Beauty's Punishment and Beauty's Release, first published individually in 1983, 1984 and 1985 in the United States. They are erotic BDSM novels set in a medieval fantasy world, loosely based on the fairy tale of Sleeping Beauty.

***I'm at the end of this for the second time, if you like this kind of thing the writing is tremendous!***

I might have to check this one out. Is it raunchy/smutty? I like a good bit of raunch and smut which is probably why I am finding 50 shades to be droll.

That and my sex life IRL is way better than anything in this book.

Just sayin'.
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have been a SAHM for far too long! I had no idea there are communities of people who enjoy this kind of stuff.

Never experienced this in my life - I think I'm too skeered!

So, I guess that makes me vanilla.

But I am digging the book!
  • KickassAugust
    Options

I might have to check this one out. Is it raunchy/smutty? I like a good bit of raunch and smut which is probably why I am finding 50 shades to be droll.

Just sayin'.

I was just saying to a new buddy of mine, the first time I read this book I saw it from the perspective of Beauty and had never read anything like it so I was like scared the whole time. This time I am finding a different perspective and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new more upright view!
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Just sayin'.

I was just saying to a new buddy of mine, the first time I read this book I saw it from the perspective of Beauty and had never read anything like it so I was like scared the whole time. This time I am finding a different perspective and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new more upright view!

Is it smutty though? I need a good smut book for vacation. Something that'll give me ideas for my own writing.
  • KickassAugust
    Options

Just sayin'.

Is it smutty though? I need a good smut book for vacation. Something that'll give me ideas for my own writing.

Okay SMUTTY, lets really think about that .... it is overwhelming, stimulating, all consuming and toxic. You'll think about it when you're not reading. You'll start to wonder were you might FIT in all this madness. Plus, she is wonderful at telling a story and weaving a tapestry. If you are reading this other one (which I have not) or if you have read The Story of O then The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty is well worth your vacation time!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend started it, but then got creeped out by them
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

Oh and don't get me started on the "inner goddess" and her "Shaking the pom poms" Please!!

LOL - don't forget the pole vaults and the cartwheels. When he suggested that maybe she needed to see his therapist, I was thinking YES! LOL

Meanwhile, I mean no offense to anyone that like the books. I have liked my fair share of fluff and badly written books in my day. I just don't get the hype with this one.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Just sayin'.

Okay SMUTTY, lets really think about that .... it is overwhelming, stimulating, all consuming and toxic. You'll think about it when you're not reading. You'll start to wonder were you might FIT in all this madness. Plus, she is wonderful at telling a story and weaving a tapestry. If you are reading this other one (which I have not) or if you have read The Story of O then The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty is well worth your vacation time!

I have not read the Story of O.

However I do believe I will be getting this book. ;)
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    Annnnd. . . .ordered.

Opted for the actual book rather than the kindle version. Don't want the sun to cast a glare when I try to read it at the pool!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I did not like Story of O, or The Beauty set.....guess I won't even bother with Shades of Grey.....
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Interesting story line. Writing is sophmoric.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I did not like Story of O, or The Beauty set.....guess I won't even bother with Shades of Grey.....

Depends on why you didn't like the others.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what the fuss was about but I probably won't now.

Bad writing, douche canoe male character and weak women? Not my cup of tea.

He's not a douche he's a Dom and she's supposed to be his Sub. It's (loosely) a story about BDSM.

Eh? So all Doms are douches? I must have had a lucky find with mine then. *smug*
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Having trouble getting the books.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

OK, I hated the books but I did get this. The reason he is shocked by these things is because he isn't used to someone behaving normally. she is, in his eyes, taking liberties that he isn't used to his subs taking.