Confessions....

Options

Replies

• czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    Is anyone ever going to confess as to why grapes are bad? :angry:
    I'd like to hear about that too?! I eat a lot of grapes.

I found this on a website:

Grape greatness

How can grapes be both a favorite of mine and be on my "ten most wanted" list of food criminals?

Well, I already explained why I don't like grapes: They're bad for you - both from a health standpoint and from a fiscal point of view. However, one of the world's healthiest and most purely beneficial substances would not exist without them…

Of course, I'm talking about wine.

Ironically, it is the very thing that makes grapes such a poor choice for a food (the fact that they're mostly sugar) that makes wine even possible. You see, the sugars in grape juice are what vintner-added yeasts feed upon during the wine-making process. The by-product of this low-level metabolism of sugars is alcohol. And as you've heard me say about a million times before, moderate consumption of alcohol is a great boon to your health on many levels.

It isn't just me saying that, either. Study after study have shown this to be true, but especially so for wine. Even the medical mainstream has grudgingly accepted what's known as the "French Paradox" - the fact that the red-wine-gulping French live far longer and enjoy lower incidences of major health problems than people in many other advanced nations. This, despite their rich, carb-heavy diets and propensity to chain-smoke full-nicotine European cigarettes.

Why is this? Back to the good ol' grape.

The skins of red varieties of grapes contain powerful antioxidants called polyphenols. These have been shown in much research to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke - and may even have a cancer-preventive benefit, as well. When red wine is made from these grapes, those potent antioxidants remain, along with a nice shot of healthy alcohol in place of the harmful sugar that was once the grape's downfall as a food.

Therein lies the real "paradox." In order to make grapes into a healthy food, you CAN'T EAT THEM.

You can only drink them. And you should. Every day.

Tipping a glass to your good health,

William Campbell Douglass II, MD

PS: I have to mention this for all you animal lovers out there. Dogs love grapes and raisins but they are deadly to them. They cause renal failure. So make sure to keep them out of paws way!
  • czewwhat
    Options
    Is anyone ever going to confess as to why grapes are bad? :angry:
    I'd like to hear about that too?! I eat a lot of grapes.

I found this on a website:

Grape greatness

How can grapes be both a favorite of mine and be on my "ten most wanted" list of food criminals?

Well, I already explained why I don't like grapes: They're bad for you - both from a health standpoint and from a fiscal point of view. However, one of the world's healthiest and most purely beneficial substances would not exist without them…

Of course, I'm talking about wine.

Ironically, it is the very thing that makes grapes such a poor choice for a food (the fact that they're mostly sugar) that makes wine even possible. You see, the sugars in grape juice are what vintner-added yeasts feed upon during the wine-making process. The by-product of this low-level metabolism of sugars is alcohol. And as you've heard me say about a million times before, moderate consumption of alcohol is a great boon to your health on many levels.

It isn't just me saying that, either. Study after study have shown this to be true, but especially so for wine. Even the medical mainstream has grudgingly accepted what's known as the "French Paradox" - the fact that the red-wine-gulping French live far longer and enjoy lower incidences of major health problems than people in many other advanced nations. This, despite their rich, carb-heavy diets and propensity to chain-smoke full-nicotine European cigarettes.

Why is this? Back to the good ol' grape.

The skins of red varieties of grapes contain powerful antioxidants called polyphenols. These have been shown in much research to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke - and may even have a cancer-preventive benefit, as well. When red wine is made from these grapes, those potent antioxidants remain, along with a nice shot of healthy alcohol in place of the harmful sugar that was once the grape's downfall as a food.

Therein lies the real "paradox." In order to make grapes into a healthy food, you CAN'T EAT THEM.

You can only drink them. And you should. Every day.

Tipping a glass to your good health,

William Campbell Douglass II, MD

PS: I have to mention this for all you animal lovers out there. Dogs love grapes and raisins but they are deadly to them. They cause renal failure. So make sure to keep them out of paws way!
    LONG LIVE MERLOT!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    AND SHIRAZ!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

exercise.png
  • czewwhat
    Options
    And my all time favorite, Ararat Armenian Brandy! (double fermented grape juice) Cognac, is three times fermented! still from grapes right!
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    I confess for the past 4days ive been slacking on my diet:angry:
    I confess that i took a rest day yesterday from my workout
    I confess that im TIRED of feeling horrible about my eating and im getting back on the wagon:wink:
    I confess that i give myself tooooooo many reasons to fall off the wagon but not enough to stay on it:ohwell:

*****just keep swimming,swimming,swimming******
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    i confess that i NEVER watch my cals/exercise on the weekends. :grumble:

i confess that for the past month i havent logged anything after i leave work. :ohwell:

i confess that i'm probably the laziest person in the world when it comes to being active. :sad:
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    I confess that I went to the fair and did my best to stay good....damn those funnel cakes.

I confess that I felt crappy the rest of the evening...that's what I get for eating nasty food with tummy problems

I confess that I will be working my a** off the rest of the week.

D.C. in 8 days!!!!
  • shutterbug4674
    shutterbug4674 Posts: 3,690 Member
    Options
    I confess I spend more time on the chit-chat, fun and games part of the board then any other topic.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    i confess i worked out extra hard today (early even) just so i can go out tonight and drink extra drinks :laugh: :laugh:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    i confess that i NEVER watch my cals/exercise on the weekends. :grumble:

i confess that for the past month i havent logged anything after i leave work. :ohwell:

i confess that i'm probably the laziest person in the world when it comes to being active. :sad:
    i highly doubt that last one hun...lol you've lost 34lbs theres people out there doing nothing but eating ho hos and twinkies and the only activity theyre getting is putting food in their mouth and changing the channel....i confess i used to be one of those people :ohwell:
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I confess
    Last night my husband came home from work at 11pm and I was still up he knew I wasn't feeling well and I did not cook so he picked up some fried chicken and I ate some with him.

Today I had a 20 oz coca cola and I am not upset with my self.

I know its not the best choices but it is all about balance and moderation.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I confess I didn't do my bike ride tonight in favor of Wii bowling :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

exercise.png
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I confess on the way to work this morning all I thought about with Burger King breakfast, Chinese Food, Spicy Chicken Sandwich.... and then... :indifferent: Pool party tomorrow... Activia, Shredded Wheat, Cucumber, Hard Boiled Egg, Chicken Breast... :laugh:
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    I confess I did not work out as planned because my legs were sore and I had to watch the season finale of "So you think you can dance" :blushing:
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    i confess i'm going to nascar at michigan speedway on a 4 day camping trip - and i'm not even gonna think about my calorie intake. :bigsmile:
  • shutterbug4674
    shutterbug4674 Posts: 3,690 Member
    Options
    I confess that I had taco bell for lunch and it left my system before I could digest it. :sick:
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    I confess I did not work out as planned because my legs were sore and I had to watch the season finale of "So you think you can dance" :blushing:

Same here . . . minus the sore legs part!:laugh: I love that show, though!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was just bingeing on honey nut cheerios while reading the posts. :noway: :grumble: I need an intervention!! :explode: Time to go to bed!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I confess... I exercise so I can eat more, whiich isnt really the point of it!:blushing:

oh! and I had two chocolate bars today:tongue:
    Me too. :wink:
    I confess that I ate tiramisu dessert tonight for my daughter's 21st birthday and have no regret what-so-ever.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i confess that i had a wendy's junior hamburger and small fries for lunch today

i confess that i haven't had a real workout since last wednesday

i confess that i'm not too worried about it as long as i stay within my calories :tongue: