Grocery Shopping Staples (Eating Clean)

Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    :My friends and I have been doing a lot of reading on clean eating and have 'dabbled' in it some ourselved. We've found some awesome websites, it you want to try googling it. One we love is www.100daysofrealfood.com.

One of the things I've learned in all the reading I'm doing is check labels on everything. Make sure you can read and understand everything in the ingredients, but also, everyone is saying that the ingredient list should be 5 ingredients or less to be considered clean. Depending on what I'm eating, I may choose items that have more than 5, but only if they are all real food. Like I've found some live bars, nothing processed in them and they have a lot of ingredients, but all of them are nuts and grains, nothing artificial.

It's a fun process, good luck with it! There's a lot to learn and it's quite satisfying (for me anyway) when I follow it completely. :bigsmile:
    Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Definitely add oats to the list (rolled, quick cook, steel cut, etc - whatever you prefer)

cyncetastic...
    Following your blog, I find it inspiring!:heart:
  • equinescrapper
    Options
    bump
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I’m not even mostly clean, but here’s the clean list:O)

Healthy Staples:
    Earthbound Spinach or one of their mixes
    Tomatoes
    Assortment of Oils and Vinegars (great for homemade salad dressings and marinades)
    Mushrooms (esp portabella and button)
    Avocado
    Sunflower seeds
    Pumpkin seeds
    Pinenuts (like to make Basil, Sundried tomato and Parsley pestos)
    Potatoes and Sweet potatoes
    Usually bananas, oranges and apples (whatever fruit is in season or on sale)
    Frozen blueberries, strawberries, red raspberries and rhubarb (picked the summer before)
    Assortment of dried and canned beans (for chilis, soups, hummus)
    Assortment of lentils
    Plain Chobani yogurt (to use instead of sour cream and to make faux ranch, great for Indian dishes)
    Luna bars (great 180 cal snack with vitamins)
    Soy milk
    Assortment of tea
    Home canned tomatoes
    Home sun dried tomatoes
    Variety of grains: rice, Israeli couscous, quinoa, regular couscous,
    Some type of fish in the freezer (salmon and flounder this month)
    Chicken in the freezer
    A huge cupboard full of spices
    Soy sauce
    Onions
    Fresh Garlic
    Herb garden in the back yard
    Whatever vegetable is on sale or in season
    Love zucchini sliced like spaghetti with marinade or spaghetti squash with marinade!
  • naddie7
    naddie7 Posts: 11
    Options
    Water! ;)
  • arotella
    arotella Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on "eating clean" but from my understanding, you're going to want to find a substitute for spaghetti sauce. The major brands have so much added sugar (often as corn syrup) I'm pretty sure they don't count. (But I love 'em anyway!)
    You could get tomato sauce/paste and diced tomatoes and make your own, I bet.

Would freshly-ground wheat count as clean? That's a staple here! (The wheat, which I grind myself)
  • aaaaaamy
    aaaaaamy Posts: 24
    Options
    Bump! :)
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas
  • cappydos
    cappydos Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CaoimheAine
    CaoimheAine Posts: 195
    Options
    Chicken, ham, steak, eggs, vegieesss, fruit, Natural peanut butter, greek yoghurt, nutssss, water
    as for spaghetti sauce, I have extra lean beef mince with crushed tomatoes, pepper and veggies :):)

and I love making light jelly!
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am a far cry from eating really clean, but I am eating tons better. I have a new love affair with tilapia. You can do so many things with it. Fish tacos, baked, grilled, pan cooked with veggies and brown rice. And sweet potatoes too. Sliced, baked with some cumin on them! Yum! I love burgers. If you are wanting to go easy on the breads, use lettuce as a "bun" or whole grain sandwich thins. I make turkey burgers all the time. I just try to stay away from anything in a box. Unless its low fat wheat thins. I have to have those! lol

Congratulations on eating better! But did you know that tilapia has very high levels of the potentially dangerous omega-6 fatty acids. Eating tilapia could be worse for your heart than eating doughnuts or hamburger, and only slightly better than eating pork bacon. You should try to eat more cold-water fish - such as salmon, rainbow trout, sardines, tuna and anchovies. All of these are high in healthy omega-3s and low in harmful omega-6s.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Feta cheese
    Olive oil
    Shrimp
    Lean ground beef
    Salmon
    Tilapia
    Chicken
    Almond Milk
    Canned Tuna
    Spinach
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Bananas
    Kale
    Eggs
    Greek Yogurt
    Pita bread
    Sweet potatoes
    Tomato sauce
    Mozzarella cheese
    365 Fruit Spread
    Frozen Fruit
    Frozen Veggies
    - Broccoli
    - Mixed peppers
    - Spinach
    - Carrots
    - Onions
    Spring Mix Salad
    Pineapples
    Mangoes
    Granola
    Steel cut oats
    Cinnamon
    Raw Unsalted Mixed Nuts
    Unsalted Peanuts
    Walnuts
  • jerrbear67
    jerrbear67 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump

Skim Milk
    chicken breast
    quinoa
    fresh and frozen veggies
    brown rice
    salsa
    eggs/egg whites
    oats
    back bacon
    tuna
    salmon
    apples

This is my list so far, for tomorrow.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • samalarky
    Options
    I have been making a continuous effort to eat clean and natural foods. I buy organic whenever possible, especially if it is a food known to be heavy in pesticides or something which is commonly a GMO crop. I buy my meat and dairy from a local place where all the animal products are from livestock which is pasture-raised. No factory-farmed products! I also avoid gluten and processed sugar 95% of the time. Aside from that, my staples are:

Quinoa
    Sweet potatoes
    Tilapia, cod, turbot (if I can find it)
    Corn tortillas
    Organic (whenever possible) veggies like tomatoes, peppers, avocados, onions, asparagus, scallions,
    Beef and chicken from pasture-raised animals
    Cheese from pasture-raised animals, sometimes a little butter from pasture-raised animals
    Gluten-free bread and pasta, infrequently
    Brown rice
    Coconut oil
    Olive oil
    Organic black beans or lentils

And now I juice with oranges, apples, kale, cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, strawberries, ginger, and some of the veggies mentioned above.
  • k_sharp
    k_sharp Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NicholeRobb
    NicholeRobb Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bump. Awesome thread. This is so helpful. Thanks for posting this & thanks to those who actually have some experience in this area :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I am a far cry from eating really clean, but I am eating tons better. I have a new love affair with tilapia. You can do so many things with it. Fish tacos, baked, grilled, pan cooked with veggies and brown rice. And sweet potatoes too. Sliced, baked with some cumin on them! Yum! I love burgers. If you are wanting to go easy on the breads, use lettuce as a "bun" or whole grain sandwich thins. I make turkey burgers all the time. I just try to stay away from anything in a box. Unless its low fat wheat thins. I have to have those! lol

Congratulations on eating better! But did you know that tilapia has very high levels of the potentially dangerous omega-6 fatty acids. Eating tilapia could be worse for your heart than eating doughnuts or hamburger, and only slightly better than eating pork bacon. You should try to eat more cold-water fish - such as salmon, rainbow trout, sardines, tuna and anchovies. All of these are high in healthy omega-3s and low in harmful omega-6s.
    I SO did not know this about Tiilapia, thanks so much for giving the heads up! Appreciate you educating me about this.
  • ashjdavis88
    ashjdavis88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Save!!! Bump!!