An extremely polite suggestion

Options
Kennkaru
Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
This is not a personal attack on any individual or group.

This is not meant to be offensive in any way.

This is simply a statement of fact that each and every one of us heard from multiple teachers,starting probably around 3rd or 4th grade and continuing thereafter.

Censoring this post would be extremely paternalistic and excessive.

Also, there is NO quantifiable advantage to censoring this statement, and I can't think of a single argument that could be made for such actions other than "Someone will notice they have been making a mistake and might correct it in future attempts."

I make this statement in hopes that some folks may avoid future embarrassment and may have improved communication skills which may benefit them in their careers and relationships.

Here goes...

When you are talking about losing weight, the word is spelled with one "o." When you use two "o"s, the word becomes loose, which has a different meaning. You LOSE weight, and then your pants become LOOSE.

This website is flooded with daily conversation about weight loss, and both of these words are used often. They are many times confused with one another, and I would like offer a friendly invitation for everyone reading this to consider the difference between these words the next time they find themselves using either one. We all make mistakes, but we also have the ability to improve- This is why we are here on MFP after all!

Thank you, and have an incredible day!

Replies

• Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    This is not a personal attack on any individual or group.

This is not meant to be offensive in any way.

This is simply a statement of fact that each and every one of us heard from multiple teachers,starting probably around 3rd or 4th grade and continuing thereafter.

Censoring this post would be extremely paternalistic and excessive.

Also, there is NO quantifiable advantage to censoring this statement, and I can't think of a single argument that could be made for such actions other than "Someone will notice they have been making a mistake and might correct it in future attempts."

I make this statement in hopes that some folks may avoid future embarrassment and may have improved communication skills which may benefit them in their careers and relationships.

Here goes...

When you are talking about losing weight, the word is spelled with one "o." When you use two "o"s, the word becomes loose, which has a different meaning. You LOSE weight, and then your pants become LOOSE.

This website is flooded with daily conversation about weight loss, and both of these words are used often. They are many times confused with one another, and I would like offer a friendly invitation for everyone reading this to consider the difference between these words the next time they find themselves using either one. We all make mistakes, but we also have the ability to improve- This is why we are here on MFP after all!

Thank you, and have an incredible day!

You're so hot right now... LOL

Tomorrow's lesson: "you're" vs. "your" :wink:
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I read through all of that for something that's been posted a gazillion times on here....
  • Kennkaru
    Options
    I'm sorry you have wasted your time reading a post on a topic you've already read about.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    When is the dissertation on their, they're and there going to be posted?
  • Farfourah
    Options
    I'm sorry you have wasted your time reading a post on a topic you've already read about.

It's cool, I'm not really gonna cut you either.....
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    How about to, too and two. :bigsmile:
  • Kennkaru
    Options
    A dissertation is generally more than a handful of small paragraphs, but your sarcastic hyperbole is noted.
    Also, if this is a topic that doesn't interest you, you can feel free to ignore this polite suggestion and move on to other topics.
    It is clear to me that several people could benefit from this message, given examples from almost every forum post I have read today.
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    Ok, I want to just have a spelling bee with you and loose, lost, lose my clothes!! Thanks for correcting me!!! Shot anyone (it's Patron)
  • Farfourah
    Options
    A dissertation is generally more than a handful of small paragraphs, but your sarcastic hyperbole is noted.
    Also, if this is a topic that doesn't interest you, you can feel free to ignore this polite suggestion and move on to other topics.
    It is clear to me that several people could benefit from this message, given examples from almost every forum post I have read today.

No one is going to benefit from this, stop it. This thread has been created a hundred times before...and this won't be the last time....
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! This drives me crazy (as does the obsession with putting in random apostrophes or leaving them out) so thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    The problem is just that the topic has been beaten to death. Beaten, run over, shot, stabbed... you get the point. Search it and you will see. Nothing starts an argument better (whether politely done or not) than correcting spelling on MFP.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    When my friend would correct me on grammar and correct spelling, etc I would purposefully mispell in an attempt to aggravate her. Her most hated phrase was "in regards" since the correct way to say it is "With regard"
    You sound just like my friend, I just had a flash back to one of our convos.
    I take no offense to this post, it gave me something to read for 1 minute.
    Now, I go back to try and loose some more weight :drinker:
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Well, when somebody write LOOSE instead of LOSE, I know for sure what they meant, and if they have that error its cause either they are trolling, they dont give a **** about spelling OR their language is not english and they are doing their best to write in here.

So why bother?, if you see somebody spelling loose instead of lose and it really get on your nerves, take a valium or count to 10, just my opinion!
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Amen.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    She's a newbie and didn't realize the dead horse has been replaced a number of times. :smile:
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I love you. Truly.

I'd like to add to today's lesson (and the ones suggested above) the "ur" for you're or your, and the "u r" for you are. Oh there are so many from which to choose! Perhaps a daily Public Service Announcement is in order?
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I make this statement with no offensive but "Here we go again"
  • theresabeasley
    theresabeasley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you. Wince each time I read poor grammar and spelling.....
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of cute. Maybe they're not losing it, and instead they're setting it free!!

Fly away chunkbelly, fly away!
  • Wisemomoffour
    Wisemomoffour Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Made me laugh. :)
This discussion has been closed.