An extremely polite suggestion

Options

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    It's actually against MFP's TOS to put people down because of their spelling. Read it. Start your own spelling police club. Somewhere else....I'm sure you'll find enough people to join. Enjoy.
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Haven't you already made a thread about this?

Some people spell it wrong, most people get the idea of what they mean.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This is not a personal attack on any individual or group.

This is not meant to be offensive in any way.

This is simply a statement of fact that each and every one of us heard from multiple teachers,starting probably around 3rd or 4th grade and continuing thereafter.

Censoring this post would be extremely paternalistic and excessive.

Also, there is NO quantifiable advantage to censoring this statement, and I can't think of a single argument that could be made for such actions other than "Someone will notice they have been making a mistake and might correct it in future attempts."

I make this statement in hopes that some folks may avoid future embarrassment and may have improved communication skills which may benefit them in their careers and relationships.

Here goes...

When you are talking about losing weight, the word is spelled with one "o." When you use two "o"s, the word becomes loose, which has a different meaning. You LOSE weight, and then your pants become LOOSE.

This website is flooded with daily conversation about weight loss, and both of these words are used often. They are many times confused with one another, and I would like offer a friendly invitation for everyone reading this to consider the difference between these words the next time they find themselves using either one. We all make mistakes, but we also have the ability to improve- This is why we are here on MFP after all!

Thank you, and have an incredible day!

Thank you! I am second language and I need this . Really , thank you.
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have no doubts that this topic has been posted before. I also have no doubts that the moderators have censored a fair number of these posts, citing that they were offensive.
    If you are suggesting that I should not have posted this topic because it's been done before, then perhaps one could argue that the backlash of complaining comments should also not have been posted. Those have also, most assuredly, been done before.

I am sure that those of you who feel it's worth your time to comment in a negative manner didn't suffer too much in reading this topic. I'm also confident that you have grasped the difference between these words and don't need this "lesson." Congratulations. I'm glad that many people already have this knowledge.

I have had two people PM me since this original post letting me know that they are still struggling with the difference between these two words and that they ARE embarrassed when they use the wrong one and have someone point it out to them in an attacking manner. I have chosen to discuss it in a polite way that encourages learning rather than a free-for-all whining session or grammatical gang bang.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    A dissertation is generally more than a handful of small paragraphs, but your sarcastic hyperbole is noted.
    Also, if this is a topic that doesn't interest you, you can feel free to ignore this polite suggestion and move on to other topics.
    It is clear to me that several people could benefit from this message, given examples from almost every forum post I have read today.

I'm sure that by the time you're through with, it will seem like one...
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

This is simply a statement of fact that each and every one of us heard from multiple teachers,starting probably around 3rd or 4th grade and continuing thereafter.

Also, there is NO quantifiable advantage to censoring this statement, and I can't think of a single argument that could be made for such actions other than "Someone will notice they have been making a mistake and might correct it in future attempts."

I make this statement in hopes that some folks may avoid future embarrassment and may have improved communication skills which may benefit them in their careers and relationships.

Here goes...

When you are talking about losing weight, the word is spelled with one "o." When you use two "o"s, the word becomes loose, which has a different meaning. You LOSE weight, and then your pants become LOOSE.

This website is flooded with daily conversation about weight loss, and both of these words are used often. They are many times confused with one another, and I would like offer a friendly invitation for everyone reading this to consider the difference between these words the next time they find themselves using either one. We all make mistakes, but we also have the ability to improve- This is why we are here on MFP after all!

this is better:)

• maggiemay365
    maggiemay365 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think you are very funny and correct.
    Suggestion acknowledged and appreciated!
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of cute. Maybe they're not losing it, and instead they're setting it free!!

Fly away chunkbelly, fly away!

Cracked me up......
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    "and I would like offer"...I think there should be a "to" in there. Glass houses and stones come to mind.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Yes. Hell to the yes. :heart:
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    U R Correct , spelling is a big topic on hear, but rely, who gives a crap = not eye.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    "and I would like offer"...I think there should be a "to" in there. Glass houses and stones come to mind.
    Good one! LOL
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You're so hot right now... LOL

Tomorrow's lesson: "you're" vs. "your" :wink:

I saw a cake in the bakery last week that had "Your the Best" written on it. I should have offered to take it off their hands and... um... 'dispose' of it properly... would have been so yummy I probably could have forgotten the spelling LOL
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Here goes...

You're so hot right now... LOL

Tomorrow's lesson: "you're" vs. "your" :wink:

...Please explain
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options

Ouch...that has got to sting...
  • fguillory
    fguillory Posts: 291
    Options
    oh-my-god-who-the-hell-cares.jpg
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I love grammar :love:
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options

Love
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options

Ouch...that has got to sting...

I come here to loose weight, not learn to rite gooder.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Ok, I want to just have a spelling bee with you and loose, lost, lose my clothes!! Thanks for correcting me!!! Shot anyone (it's Patron)

Yes please!
This discussion has been closed.