An extremely polite suggestion

Options

Replies

• ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Well this is something I have NEVER seen in these forums. Anyway, loose/lose used to really drive me crazy. By now, though, I've seen it so much that it doesn't bother me. I like grammar but I don't really care about it on MFP anymore. We might as well just support each other. If we don't want to support each other because of poor spelling choices, maybe we could just use the search function in the message boards before we go on another one of these rants.

While we're at it, who eats exercise calories? :flowerforyou:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I drink my exercise calories:drinker:
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The problem is just that the topic has been beaten to death. Beaten, run over, shot, stabbed... you get the point. Search it and you will see. Nothing starts an argument better (whether politely done or not) than correcting spelling on MFP.

Oh I dunno. Just say HCG.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

If you are suggesting that I should not have posted this topic because it's been done before, then perhaps one could argue that the backlash of complaining comments should also not have been posted. Those have also, most assuredly, been done before.

I guess its more fun to beat the person beating the dead horse. :)
  • vgambino
    vgambino Posts: 28
    Options
    I come here to loose weight, not learn to rite gooder.
    [/quote]

Bump
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Punctuationsaveslives.jpg

Girly, I am afraid you are fighting a losing battle (hahaha). Let people be, there are far bigger things to try to improve. Thank you for letting people learn of their errors, but 1. Beating a dead horse only makes one tired, 2. You can't teach those who are not willing to learn, and 3. Often enough, my f***ing autocorrect makes me look like an illiterate hillbilly (no offense to all you hillbillies out there), even though I am highly educated.

That being said. . . you don't see me spouting off words most people reach for the thesaurus for. The message wasn't offensive, but your method of delivery? Slightly.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i love new people.
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a large number of people who "don't care," yet care enough to spend the time commenting.

I agree that many topics in these forums are repeated. In some cases, it is appropriate to use the search function when you're looking for information that you think might have been addressed before. I do not feel that many people are going to search for information regarding word usage on this website. Many of the people misusing these words do not even know they are doing it, or they would NOT do it. Some of you may simply not care, and that's your right.

At this point, 5 people have acknowledged that this post helped them in a private message. They stumbled upon this post by accident because it happened to be there TODAY. When it was addressed the thousand or so times before, THEY did not see it.

I am sure that 3rd and 4th grade teachers all over the world have brought this subject up again and again also. Some students don't care. Some others just need a reminder from time to time.
  • juliekat1955
    Options
    How about this, live as you please and allow others to the same even if their spelling isn't perfect for you.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have no doubts that this topic has been posted before. I also have no doubts that the moderators have censored a fair number of these posts, citing that they were offensive.

The only thing offensive was your use of the word paternalistic.
    Censoring this post would be extremely paternalistic and excessive.

REPORTED!!!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Fresh Meat:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    was that ridiculously long introduction/buildup and incessant thesaurus-humping supposed to be funny? if so, i am amused. if not, i am amused anyway
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I have to admit that I clench my teeth whenever I see someone post that they need to "loose" weight. It is rather annoying.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    My polite suggestion is to use the search feature and check out how many times this has been covered in the history of MFP.

:laugh:

It's a futile endeavor, dude. There are people here from all over the world with varying degrees of familiarity with the English language, even if it's their first and native one. Just care less. It's better that way. ;)

:drinker:
  • mbcan316
    mbcan316 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    All I hear is, "blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah"... Who cares?? This is not English class.
  • Minkime
    Minkime Posts: 41
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. It seems however that the people who need these polite suggestions the most, never read them.
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Eating exercise calories?? I'm eating 1200 calories a day and working out 5 days a week, why aren't I loosing weight? I seen a post bout it

:wink:
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    This is not a personal attack on any individual or group.

This is not meant to be offensive in any way.

This is simply a statement of fact that each and every one of us heard from multiple teachers,starting probably around 3rd or 4th grade and continuing thereafter.

Censoring this post would be extremely paternalistic and excessive.

Also, there is NO quantifiable advantage to censoring this statement, and I can't think of a single argument that could be made for such actions other than "Someone will notice they have been making a mistake and might correct it in future attempts."

I make this statement in hopes that some folks may avoid future embarrassment and may have improved communication skills which may benefit them in their careers and relationships.

Here goes...

When you are talking about losing weight, the word is spelled with one "o." When you use two "o"s, the word becomes loose, which has a different meaning. You LOSE weight, and then your pants become LOOSE.

This website is flooded with daily conversation about weight loss, and both of these words are used often. They are many times confused with one another, and I would like offer a friendly invitation for everyone reading this to consider the difference between these words the next time they find themselves using either one. We all make mistakes, but we also have the ability to improve- This is why we are here on MFP after all!

Thank you, and have an incredible day!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I see people doing this ALLL the time hahahaha

also they're, there and their are misused so often I've given up at trying to correct them lol
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. It seems however that the people who need these polite suggestions the most, never read them.

^^^ word!
  • mbcan316
    mbcan316 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My polite suggestion is to use the search feature and check out how many times this has been covered in the history of MFP.

:laugh:

It's a futile endeavor, dude. There are people here from all over the world with varying degrees of familiarity with the English language, even if it's their first and native one. Just care less. It's better that way. ;)

:drinker:

You made me chuckle. :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.