Best Guy Friend Gets A Girlfriend & Forgets all about you

Options

Replies

• mseraf713
    mseraf713 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    happened to me! when his mom was stuck in a war zone overseas and I was the only person he would cry in front of, when he first met the girl he wasn't so keen on her but I pushed him to give her a chance... she had him cancel our dinner plans on his birthday after I extended an invitation to her. And when he stopped calling/texting/fb'ing she proceeded to talk *kitten* about me and had a good old time laughing about my weight. one year later they both extended an olive branch under the impression of being "friends" but within 6 weeks they stopped talking to me again- probably for the better because who knows what their real intentions were. They are now married and I am happy for them, but it sucks losing your best friend of either gender under any circumstances.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    Always a shame when two people who need to be clapping cheeks with eachother and cuddling after never get around to it.

ROFL
  • HURLEYX3RO
    Options
    I tried being happy for mine in the beginning. Now they are married, he doesn't talk to me and I miss him lots. It's been years though so you would think I would have gotten over it!

Im trying more and more to be happy for him every day.
    Doesnt change the fact that I miss him lots.
    I thought Id be over it by now, guess not.
    But it feels good to see Im not the only one exp this.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I have heard that heterosexual guys never just want to be your friend if you're a girl. (I was sitting in a room with 4 men, 1 of them my boyfriend, and his brothers/brothers' friend.)

I wonder how true that is, seeing that many of the posts admitted that they imagined becoming more then friends at some point...
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I have heard that heterosexual guys never just want to be your friend if you're a girl. (I was sitting in a room with 4 men, 1 of them my boyfriend, and his brothers/brothers' friend.)

That's not true at all...
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options

I think it might depend on the person. But honestly, I can't think of time where there wasn't an obvious attraction on one side or the other...
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

I'm inclined to disagree with you.

I'm sorry but this is true. Every woman "friend" I had, was in my eyes just on varying tiers on the totem pole of person I would put body parts into. I didn't objectify them, I was just always honest with myself about attraction to them. This equated to friend in many cases, very good ones, because circumstances never led to anything more. In any case where I am in a relationship, I am perfectly fine distancing myself from female friends.

It's kind of inappropriate otherwise.

My girlfriend knows I have friends who I wanted to get with at one point; she doesn't feel comfortable with me being in certain social environments with them. I don't consider it a mistrust thing, it's one of those completely cool things with me (though I will tease her about it).

Hell my girlfriend is someone who I was "friends" with, always flirted with on inappropriate levels, and always kept in my mind.

Now we're together and we talk about making babies and what not.

I've been in the situation where I was "friends" with someone who never admitted she actually wanted much much more. When she told me this all I could say was, "You know if you were talking about two other people I would think they were effing retarded for beating around the bush with the whole thing."

It really sounds like both of you were passively waiting for one or the other to be single and the "right" moment.

Honestly as soon as one (or preferably both, because homewrecking is bad or...somethingGODIHOPEMYGIRLFRIENDDOESNTREADTHISPOST) of you is single, plow that field like it's planting season baby.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yep..they always seem to find their way back
  • 00Riga00
    00Riga00 Posts: 34
    Options
    I think so...but it also has to do with me moving from Texas to California. =[ I really miss my best friend............... He didn't even call me for my birthday... v.v
  • HURLEYX3RO
    Options
    I think so...but it also has to do with me moving from Texas to California. =[ I really miss my best friend............... He didn't even call me for my birthday... v.v

Im sorry :/

Neither did I.
    and for his birthday I sent him a present and a card.
    Never got a response.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    Options
    Yep..they always seem to find their way back

What do you do when they do find their way back?
    Do you forgive them instantly, or let them know how much it sucked and give them a taste of their own medicine?
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    Quite the opposite for me. My last boyfriend "forgot about" several dates because he would rather hang out with his friends. I'm fine with guys wanting time with the boys, but it'd be nice to get a call saying "Hey, I can't make it"
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    But if friends get a significant other and completely drop all contact, I go into ***** mode and ignore them back whenever they want to hang out :3
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Friendzone Level 9000!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yepp it happened to me. Sucks. But that's what I get, I suppose. For putting him in the friend zone lol. I know he was into me but I was just not interested and only wanted to be friends. He said it was ok and he would rather have me in his life as a friend than not at all, but then he went away to college, met a girl, and basically stopped talking to me. That was probably 4-5 years ago. I miss him still sometimes.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    Options
    Friendzone Level 9000!

:laugh:
  • turbophoenix
    Options
    This just happened to me recently. He started dating this girl that's not "cool" with him hanging out with female friends. It sucks... :ohwell:
  • m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    story of my life
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    As a guy with a really awesome lady friend(we met though this site actually), I'd never give up our friendship just because I'm dating someone. Fact is that this sometimes decreases how often we can talk, but I'd never cut off communication competely. If you do this, were you actually good friends to start with?
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Long story short.
    Best friend for 8 years.
    Super close, helped with everything.
    Did everything for him.

He got a girlfriend and went from talking to me everyday to nothing at all.
    Not a hi, not a text, not a call, and email or anything.

Its been exactly one year now.

Sounds like new girl might be either jealous of you and feels threaten you are so close so he stay away afraid to ruin it with her, or he just might be enjoying this new hot relationship to where he can do more than be just friends.

And to answer some of your questions, yeah a part of me would love to be his gf instead. Will it ever happen probably not.

His mom showed me his prom pictures today (btw hes not even in HS hes 21 and his gf is 17) and he looks extremely happy... and Im happy for him.

I just wish I could at least be his friend and be a part of his life.