Should I Become a Vegan?

Options
For about the last day or so, I have been thinking about changing my diet and becoming a vegan. For those who are not familiar with what the term vegan means -- it simply means a person who does not consume any animal products what so ever. It is not that I do not like eating turkey, fish, seafood or chicken, it is simply that even these foods are not 100 percent healthy for anyone...

Right now, i weigh 195 lbs and I do not want to gain all of the weight that I had lost over the past nine months. I do not want to get fat again.

In addition, my favorite foods are veggie burgers, veggie chicken patties, leafy vegetables, peanut butter, almond butter, whole wheat cereals, whole grain bread rounds, and tomatoes...

The online research is mixed. Some articles indicate that a vegan diet is the healthiest type of diet. But there is other lines of research that seem to claim that it is necessary to consume some animal products.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    For about the last day or so, I have been thinking about changing my diet and becoming a vegan. For those who are not familiar with what the term vegan means -- it simply means a person who does not consume any animal products what so ever. It is not that I do not like eating turkey, fish, seafood or chicken, it is simply that even these foods are not 100 percent healthy for anyone...

Right now, i weigh 195 lbs and I do not want to gain all of the weight that I had lost over the past nine months. I do not want to get fat again.

In addition, my favorite foods are veggie burgers, veggie chicken patties, leafy vegetables, peanut butter, almond butter, whole wheat cereals, whole grain bread rounds, and tomatoes...

The online research is mixed. Some articles indicate that a vegan diet is the healthiest type of diet. But there is other lines of research that seem to claim that it is necessary to consume some animal products.

What are your thoughts?

Those foods that you are claiming not to be 100 percent healthy are healthy. Just like anything they have to be ate in moderation.
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    It is not that I do not like eating turkey, fish, seafood or chicken, it is simply that even these foods are not 100 percent healthy for anyone...

I don't see any evidence those foods aren't healthy.

And everyone knows what a vegan is :wink:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Dont become a vegan because you are scared of gaining weight. It is hard to be a healthy vegan. IMO vegetarian is easier.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The only sources claiming veganism is healthy are those with the agenda of convincing you to become vegan. There is truly no advantage in a vegan diet then you couldn't get from just eating a smart omnivorous diet.

If you hit your macros right (protein/fat/carbs) and stay in a reasonable calorie limit, you won't "get fat." Going vegan tends to cause you to have a high carbohydrate/low protein and fat diet, which isn't healthy. And yes, you do need fats to be healthy.

In addition, you'll also have to supplement vitamins, most commonly B12, which can lead to nerve damage in deficiency.

So no, I really don't think you should go vegan at all. And in response to "don't knock it before you've tried it," I was vegan for almost four years until I stopped.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    turkey, fish, seafood or chicken

You just listed some of the healthiest foods there are. All of those have great benefits for your body. If you aren't eating those because you think they are unhealthy, what DO you eat?

Being a vegan is no healthier than not, when eaten in moderation. Makes it easier to get protein too if you eat the meat.

If you like meat, and you dont have any issues, whether ethical or biological, then there is no reason to go vegan.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Good for you if you can maintain a vegan lifestyle. It wouldn't work for me because it doesn't provide me with all the nutrients I need. Iron, for example. I'm anemic so I seem to need more iron than most. I could get some iron from a vegan diet, but not nearly enough. And I can't take iron supplements all the time because they cause some digestive complications.

If you can get the right amount of nutrition for your needs, I'd say, go for it.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Give it a try! I was vegan for about a year, and loved it. I'm currently vegetarian, but I go vegan one month out of the year still.

Don't be afraid to just try it out, and if you don't like it, you can always readjust your diet to your needs and comfort level.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank you for your comments.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I did not mean to be condescending about the term vegan. I just do not like to assume that everyone knows what I know...

However, I do thank you for your comments.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Having a migraine so my eye sight is a bit off: thought this said "should I become a virgin". LOL.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan. I would never do it again. There is nothing wrong with the foods you listed. In proper amounts they will not cause you to gain weight. It's all about moderation.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I did not mean to be condescending about the term vegan. I just do not like to assume that everyone knows what I know...

However, I do thank you for your comments.

Plenty of people think vegetarians eat fish, so your explanation wasn't condescending.

Oh, and one thing about veggie burgers, etc. is that you have to be careful which brands you buy. A lot of them are made with GMO's.
  • JayneTraub
    JayneTraub Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for 13 years or so. Being vegan is not just about the food, vegans don't wear leather shoes or use anything that contains animial products etc. It is a lot of checking labels etc and can be very time consuming and makes eating out a bit of a challenge depending upon where in the world you live. But back to the issue of food - to be a healthy vegan you need to have a diet that isn't reliant on processed foods. It is similar to a normal diet, you need to have meals that are made up from fresh vegetables etc and that are balanced. As someone else has already said, maybe you should start with being vegetarian and see how you go.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Nothing about veganism is inherently healthy. It will not prevent weight gain. You can be a fat, unhealthy vegan. If you want to do it for moral or ethical reasons, that's fine, but it is a lot of work to make it a healthy, balanced diet.

You can be healthy and lose weight much more easily with a varied diet and a moderate calorie deficit.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't have an opinion when it comes to other people's choices, but personally, I see no reason to be vegan unless it's for ethical purposes. Animals are supposed to be a part of our diet, it's only natural. Cutting out all animal products only for health reasons makes no sense to me.
  • thejesspress
    thejesspress Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for awhile and then a vegetarian... and now I eat fish!

When I was a vegan (a few years back), I was about 115 lbs (a lot less than my current 150). But it's a lot of work. There are healthy vegans and people who work really hard at it. I thought I was doing a good job but I had a colonoscopy when I turned 23. My whole body was just really rejecting what I was putting in it and obviously I was having a lot of health issues and hemroids because of it (tmi I know!)

Now I'm not everyone and I do have a sensitive body but I just tell you to be careful. It was the reason I added fish to my diet because a lot of nuts and beans were not helping me out! I try to eat bland now, and a reason I joined mfp was to get healthy with my diet and to eat things in moderation.

It's totally a lifestyle decision-- just make sure you do a lot of research so you are eating healthy!

PS- If you do eat vegan, try not to consume too much soy-- too much of anything can be just as unhealthy as eating animal products!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    , it is simply that even these foods are not 100 percent healthy for anyone..

What are your thoughts?

Not to get all sciencey on you, but...
    citation please.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    After flip flopping on whether to become vegan/vegetarian or whatnot I decided this morning I'm going to be more of a flexitarian if I have to label myself anything.

I dont hate meat .in fact I like it a lot HOWEVER my body does not and more often than not I get terrible stomach pains after eating a meal that includes meat.

So I think I'm cutting it out of most of my way of eating but not completely. I try and eat mostly fish if i have to have something "meat" like and limit the meat to maybe once or twice a week. When i do eat meat I try and keep it as clean and lean as possible.

So I think if I"m anything I'm a wannabe vegan with leanings towards ovo/lacto vegetarianism with bacon tendencies on a fish budget :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Nothing about veganism is inherently healthy. It will not prevent weight gain. You can be a fat, unhealthy vegan. If you want to do it for moral or ethical reasons, that's fine, but it is a lot of work to make it a healthy, balanced diet.

You can be healthy and lose weight much more easily with a varied diet and a moderate calorie deficit.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Do what you want. Just don't follow the trend of becoming sanctimonious about it please.