Should I Become a Vegan?

Options

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    everyone is a vegan wen their born until they have sex. i read about surgery to make woman vegans again but their not real vegans again
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    "It's my life, it's now or never. I don't wanna wait forever. I just want to live while I'm alive. It's. My. Life!"
  • spartymama
    Options
    If you've only been considering it for a day, probably not. I would try meatless mondays, then going vegetarian, then vegan.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want. Just don't become one of those obnoxious people who comments on his/her foodie friends' Facebook pictures with crap like "a carcass, how disturbing". You want to lose weight and bad habits-- not friends.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    For those who are not familiar with what the term vegan means -- it simply means a person who does not consume any animal products what so ever.

So it's not someone from the same planet as Spock?? :laugh: :laugh: :noway:

Spock is from Vulvan, not Vega.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    In addition, my favorite foods are veggie burgers, veggie chicken patties, leafy vegetables, peanut butter, almond butter, whole wheat cereals, whole grain bread rounds, and tomatoes...

First of all, I'd drop the veggie burgers, faux chicken and any other processed stuff (or at least minimize it -- and definitely avoid the fake meats and cheeses that have ingredients on the back that you can't pronounce -- that's not food, that's chemicals). You can be vegan and eat this stuff, but if you're trying to lose weight, I'd suggest sticking to 80% fresh fruits and vegetables, and 20% cooked grains (think brown rice, quinoa, amaranth, oats) and legumes/nuts/seeds.

Second, I was vegan for ten years and through an entire pregnancy and it was the time in my life when my weight was lowest and most stable, I slept most soundly, had an even mood and high energy, and generally felt great. I took up eating animal products again later, and I'm trying hard to give them up once again because I know that I feel better when I don't eat them.

I DO NOT THINK EVERYONE SHOULD GO VEGAN. I honestly believe that some people do better with a diet that includes animal products. But I can tell you that in my own personal experience *I* felt best and thrived as a human and an athlete when I was vegan. YMMV.

I recommend going vegan for a minimum of 30 days to see what you think and how you feel. If you feel crappy at the end, stop and try something else. But keep in mind that it is possible to feel crappy eating pretty much anything if you aren't feeding your body whole foods. I like the way Michael Pollan puts it: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Make it your mantra ;-)
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    For those who are not familiar with what the term vegan means -- it simply means a person who does not consume any animal products what so ever.
    He's Vulcan, from Vulcan.

Vulvas are from Vulvan.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This made me laugh so much harder than it should have.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You can do it - but it's hard to do things like a low carb diet. Make sure you're getting enough fat and protein in and you should be just fine. Also avoid over processed foods like fake dairy products. Too much soy in your diet can be a bad thing too. Look for protein from things like nuts, beans, and quinoa. I did it for a few months and I wasn't getting the proper proportion of nutrients in (my own fault, I wasn't tracking) and felt DRAINED. I still eat vegan one or two days a week, vegetarian 2-4 days, and then meat (mostly seafood) just a few days. Maybe transition slowly? It can be quite a shock to your system! Good luck. Once again - make sure you're getting a proper ratio of carbs/fats/proteins. I would set it to like 45% carbs, 30% fat, 25% protein.
  • vegancakelady
    vegancakelady Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lots of evidence that eating flesh is unhealthy - check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wZendyXhU4

On the other hand - being vegan doesn't mean that you are guaranteed to be healthy nor slim. I'm testimony to that. Eating a healthy vegan diet is not easy, but if you are doing it for the right reasons and get your 'head into the right place' it is easier. I've been a vegan for years and gradually put on weight.

There are lots of over weight vegans because they tend to eat a lot of nuts and other foods high in fat. Also, vegan processed foods can be just as bad for you as non-vegan processed foods (I've recently proved this to myself).

I've recently completed a 5 week detox :sad: it was hard, but worth it. It has also shown me that I need to stay away from many foods that even though they are vegan, they are not good for me.

Good luck hun!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound awful but I like my place in the food chain and I like being an omnivore. All things in moderation and all things cooked in such a way that there is flavor without tons of fats. I have never known a happy vegan they typically seem hungry and grouchy. Before I get screamed at by happy vegans. I am sure you are out there I just haven't met you!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I haven't been vegan, but I was a vegeterian for 5 years.

If you're doing it simply for weight loss - no. There are plenty of healthy non-vegan options, meats included.

If you're doing it for nutrition - sure. BUT, know that processed soy "chicken" and things of that nature are NOT healthy and should NOT be replacements. If you're going to be vegan/vegetarian/etc, do it HEALTHFULLY, not TECHNICALLY. for instance, when I was a vegetarian I ate a ton of canned tomato soup, cinnamon bread, nutella and soy "chicken." was I healthy? NO. was a vegetarian? YES.

focus on being healthy. focus on REAL food and balanced nutrients... don't focus on "the right way" to eat or "what will make me skinny."

edit to add - if you're doing it for animal cruelty purposes - I can totally get behind that (though my healthy foods disclaimer still applies). also know that if you want to eat meat/dairy/etc just find reliable and ethical sources, and sustainable, local, and fair trade (all those awesome buzz words) products. nothing wrong with eating an egg from your neighbor's chicken!
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    I read Should I Become a Virgin! LOL
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you want to do it for whatever reason, then do it. But don't take advice about how you should do it from people on a forum. Do some research and find sound nutritional advice from a registered dietician. For instance, look up Ginny Messina. She co-authored the American Dietetic Association’s Position on Vegetarian Diets and has developed rational guidelines for vegans to follow.

Personally, I don't care if people want to eat a plant-based diet for ethical or health reasons because that' s up to the individual. But if you're going to do it, do it right and don't fall for bro science.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Become a watertarian. I hear water is good for you.
    Even vegetables now can be bad for you with all the chemicals they spray onto them.

People were designed to eat a variety of foods including: meat, veggies, fruits, nuts, herbs, honey. You can't argue with that!
    The prob with today's meat is not insignificant. If at all possible buy grass fed humanely treated meat. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some tree hugging hippy who walks barefoot in clover patches, I actually have a hunting and fishing license and voted for Bush! haha. But, the hormones, steroids, and antibiotics pumped into most mass produced meat is not good for the animal or you. And when you eat it's meat, you are getting all of that crap too!

Anyways, they say the air in Los Angeles can be bad, but that doesn't mean you should refrain from breathing while you are there or that all air is bad. Just choose more wisely what you ingest. :)
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As a red meat chompin' non-vegan, I don't like the whole vegan concept but as someone else said earlier in this thread, if it makes you happy, do it as long as you don't become a snob about it. The most important thing about any diet is making sure that it is actually balanced. I know someone who bounces between being a vegetarian and a vegan and she is one of the most unstable people that I've ever met. She also has poor metabolism and struggles with here weight if she eats a normal diet. Could be the diet, could be something else. The reality is that nothing that you put into your body is ever guaranteed to not have some kind of side effects.

I eat meat despite the fact that I know that it may kill me because I happen to like it and don't think that living to 100 means all that much if I don't do what makes me happy (within reason). If you feel that a vegan lifestyle will make you happier and help you focus on your goals, you should certainly do it.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the responses, so sorry if this has already been mentioned. But, if you prefer a mostly vegan/vegetarian diet, why not slowly progress in that direction? As you do so, you might find that the right fit is totally vegan or somewhere in between.

My step-mother is experimenting with a "vegetarian" diet that seems more vegan to me, but I don't know all the specifics... She doesn't eat any animal products that I am aware of. She's only been into it for 3 or 4 weeks and her thought so far is that it is working for her. But, I don't know how long that will last. Maybe forever.

So, I guess my point is, experiment with it, see whether it works or how strict to the principles you need to be for it to "work for you." In the end, it is about what makes you feel healthiest.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I personally don't believe you have to eliminate all meat and animal products to be happy. I do actively limit mine, but I've never seen any conclusive evidence that meat is bad for you if consumed within a reasonable amount. It's also worth mentioning getting certain nutrients on a vegan diet can sometimes be difficult if you don't balance your diet properly.

Weigh the pros and cons. I've been vegetarian before, and I went back to eating meat because it was a big inconvenience to me when I needed to eat out or was traveling. I can't eat many vegetarian dishes offered in restaurants because many of them are onion and pepper based, and those tend to upset my stomach. Also I cook for both my carnivores boyfriend and myself, and cooking two meals just doesn't sound like something I want to do. For me, the inconveniences outweighed the benefits and any reasons I felt I needed to not eat meat. Just weigh the pros and cons for you and decide from there.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    vegetarine.jpg

I also read that only people with certain blood types can pull off being a vegan and be healthy. for others with Type O, well we were made to eat meat and a Vegan diet would not be healthy at all.

type A-B are built to be able to thrive on a vegan diet.

I've been doing a juice cleanse so I guess I'm on a vegan diet right now, but I can't wait to be done so I can sink my teeth into some delicious dead animal.
  • Rachelle27
    Options
    If you are considering going vegan/vegetarian, do your research and make an informed decision. It's a personal lifestyle choice that is definitly not for everyone and can even be harmful if you aren't educating yourself about getting proper nutrition. You can't just stop eating meat, dairy, etc without figuring out reasonable replacement sources of protein. Here are some good movies/books on the subject if you are interested:

http://crazysexylife.com/2011/crazy-sexy-diet/
    http://www.forksoverknives.com/
    http://engine2diet.com/

Or if you are interested in just learning about healthy eating in general, Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore’s Dilemma"
    or "Food Rules" are good reads. Best of luck!