Should I Become a Vegan?

Options

Replies

• rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    If you're still a meat eater, I'd start by slowly reducing your consumption of animal products. Maybe work on eating meat 1-3x/week or if you're a big meat eater, try to limit to 1 time per day. And start consuming more vegetarian options before making the switch. Your body will probably adjust a lot easier if you go this route.

Meat substitutes are very high in sodium and some of them aren't strictly vegan. However, veganism can be a very healthy diet. Your protein levels will probably be difficult to fulfill though.

Really do your research to make sure you're eating a healthy/clean diet. Veganism/vegetarianism can be just as unhealthy, it really comes down to what you're eating.

I think my diary is open, feel free to see what I eat as a vegetarian.

Good luck!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, but based on your reasoning I wouldn't necessarily say you should go vegan. It is harder to get all your nutrients when you don't eat meat. Not impossible by any means, but harder.

It sounds like your main concern is getting fat from eating animal products. TBH, veggie burgers are actually worse for you because they have SO MUCH SODIUM. If you had ethical concerns I would definitely say it's worth a try but if it's only for weight loss reasons, there aren't really any benefits.

Also, it's a huge lifestyle change. I think it'd be pretty hard to stick to if you weren't committed to it for the right reasons.

I'm not saying don't try it, but just be aware that it's a big change and you'll have to be a lot more conscious of what you eat and the nutrients you're getting :)
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    A tip: Being vegetarian makes you FAT. Being vegan makes you thin.

Another tip: If you don't understand how weight loss works, avoid giving out advice on weight loss.
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Sorry you think so, but I'm sharing my experience. Maybe its not everyones experience, but prior to becoming vegan, I was vegetarian twice for 6 months at a time and I quit each time because I kept gaining TONS of weight. Since becoming vegan I've lost 22lbs without really trying very hard and when I could never lose that weight before while I was eating meat. So sorry you felt the need to leave a mean comment for me, but thats been my experiences.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Plus I also tried only cutting out red meat for about a year and I gained weight that time, too.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Plus I also tried only cutting out red meat for about a year and I gained weight that time, too.

Conclusion? Problem not in meat. Problem likely in eating too many carbs.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Sorry you think so, but I'm sharing my experience. Maybe its not everyones experience, but prior to becoming vegan, I was vegetarian twice for 6 months at a time and I quit each time because I kept gaining TONS of weight. Since becoming vegan I've lost 22lbs without really trying very hard and when I could never lose that weight before while I was eating meat. So sorry you felt the need to leave a mean comment for me, but thats been my experiences.

Your experience does not determine the rule. Calorie surplus makes you gain weight. Calorie deficit makes you lose weight. Just because you happened to be eating a calorie surplus while vegetarian does not mean vegetarianism "makes you fat."

The definitive way you stated that led to the negative response. Try not to make sweeping generalizations while recounting your own experience.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    No, you should not become a vegan. Eat meat, in fact, savor it!! However, like any food, eat it in moderation.

Humans have been omnivores for centuries. For the sake of comparison, think about the North American black bear (also an omnivore)...

85% of the black bear's diet consists of vegetation; they eat berries, tubers, nuts and grasses. They also enjoy natural sugar (honey) and spend much of their lives foraging for these non-meat food items. In a sense, you could think of these animals as "mostly vegetarian." However, these bears must also eat animal products in order to maintain their health. Consequently, they consume insects, fish, and the flesh of animals (like deer and mule meat) in order to receive all of the nutrients their bodies need.

A black bear can't just walk into a grocery store and purchase a whole bunch of unhealthy crap. The black bear also does not give a *kitten* if people think it's fat. Why? Because, in the animal kingdom, there is no "fat"...there is only "healthy" and "unhealthy."

Blacky the Bear says..."Eat your bacon, b*tch- it's awesome!!" :laugh:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessary to eat meat, I haven't eaten any animals products in a year and a half and I'm fine. Plus its so much more environmentally friendly to not eat meat. A tip: Being vegetarian makes you FAT. Being vegan makes you thin. So if you're going to do it, go all the way or you'll be dissapointed.

:noway: :laugh:

I love this place
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I think this is something worth pointing out, and one of the reasons people are confused by my "veganism for my health" lifestyle:

I don't trust meat/dairy/egg sources. I know it sounds paranoid, but not for nothing, the hormones and antibiotics fed to animals that pass through their meat and the products they produce can have an effect on people. There are plenty of studies on it (I would go hunting for them, but we can all Google/go to the library), and this is probably the number one reason I stopped eating animal products. Yes, you can buy organic meats, dairy, free-range eggs, and what-have-you. Personally, I can't afford it. I can't really afford all of the organic vegetables I eat, either, but I get by. Just another perspective on it.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    A tip: Being vegetarian makes you FAT. Being vegan makes you thin. So if you're going to do it, go all the way or you'll be dissapointed.

dj-facepalm.jpg
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I think this is something worth pointing out, and one of the reasons people are confused by my "veganism for my health" lifestyle:

I don't trust meat/dairy/egg sources. I know it sounds paranoid, but not for nothing, the hormones and antibiotics fed to animals that pass through their meat and the products they produce can have an effect on people. There are plenty of studies on it (I would go hunting for them, but we can all Google/go to the library), and this is probably the number one reason I stopped eating animal products. Yes, you can buy organic meats, dairy, free-range eggs, and what-have-you. Personally, I can't afford it. I can't really afford all of the organic vegetables I eat, either, but I get by. Just another perspective on it.

Same here. I still eat them though, mostly because that's the easiest / cheapest way for me to get adequate protein. If I could buy organic and locally farmed dairy / meat every time I bought it I would. It's also a good idea to research "organic" companies and farms, make sure they are what they claim to be.... I found out some pretty bad things about certain brands claiming to be organic...
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options

Same here. I still eat them though, mostly because that's the easiest / cheapest way for me to get adequate protein. If I could buy organic and locally farmed dairy / meat every time I bought it I would. It's also a good idea to research "organic" companies and farms, make sure they are what they claim to be.... I found out some pretty bad things about certain brands claiming to be organic...

You're absolutely right. And that's why I distrust everything, hahaha
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Which is why Blacky the Bear hunts for his food. You know it's "organic" when you knock it out with your own "bear" hands!! :laugh:

bear.jpg
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I would say it's a bad idea for anyone, even people opposed to eating animals for ethical reasons. If you're concerned about ethical treatment for animals, there are plenty of organic, humane local farms in most places that don't treat their livestock like...well, livestock. I personally tried doing a vegan diet, and although I was doing my best to get adequate proteins, vitamins, minerals, etc, I still felt sick, tired, and weak all the time. I couldn't do it for very long and I wouldn't recommend anyone try it honestly. It's not worth it.

Now I just do what I can when I can and only buy organic or locally farmed meats / dairy. It's not always viable, but hey, I'm human and I do what I am financially capable of given my family's income. Being vegan is extremely hard for most people. If you have the money to buy only organic and only locally farmed / organic meat / dairy - you should do that instead I think. Much better for the animals and for your local farmers. :) And, much healthier for you!

Just to clarify, there are plenty of vegans (in fact most who follow it based in its original premise) who don't eat animals for more than welfare reasons. Please don't assume that all who abstain from eating animals for ethical reasons do so only because of modern industrial farm animal production, though there are plenty of veg*ns who do. Some people believe it is wrong to consume or otherwise exploit animals for any reason.
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    I've considered vegetarianism and veganism but largely because I'm uncomfortable with the genetically modified feed given to food animals, the gross overuse of antibiotics, and the ethical and health issues involved with CAFOs. Instead, I eat a primarily vegetarian diet but will still eat quality organic meat and animal products. I don't think there's anything inherently 'healthier' about animal free diets, but I do think they have the side effect of separating us from a huge source of toxins and stray hormones in the modern american diet.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I would say it's a bad idea for anyone, even people opposed to eating animals for ethical reasons. If you're concerned about ethical treatment for animals, there are plenty of organic, humane local farms in most places that don't treat their livestock like...well, livestock. I personally tried doing a vegan diet, and although I was doing my best to get adequate proteins, vitamins, minerals, etc, I still felt sick, tired, and weak all the time. I couldn't do it for very long and I wouldn't recommend anyone try it honestly. It's not worth it.

Now I just do what I can when I can and only buy organic or locally farmed meats / dairy. It's not always viable, but hey, I'm human and I do what I am financially capable of given my family's income. Being vegan is extremely hard for most people. If you have the money to buy only organic and only locally farmed / organic meat / dairy - you should do that instead I think. Much better for the animals and for your local farmers. :) And, much healthier for you!

Just to clarify, there are plenty of vegans (in fact most who follow it based in its original premise) who don't eat animals for more than welfare reasons. Please don't assume that all who abstain from eating animals for ethical reasons do so only because of modern industrial farm animal production, though there are plenty of veg*ns who do. Some people believe it is wrong to consume or otherwise exploit animals for any reason.

So long as you realize I don't believe eating an animal as the same thing as exploiting an animal, we're good here. :)

I never assumed anything about vegans as a whole, because I hate generalizing, I was just stating what I thought was a good alternative for those who's concern IS the ethical treatment of animals in factory farms.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

^^^This. I hesitate to even post this because because I don't want to get in to some big veg*n debate- but some of us were vegetarians since before factory farming became a hip issue. I was first a vegetarian at 3y/o when I befriended a chicken at the farm down the road from my house, only to make the mental connection between my buddy chicken and dinner chicken. As most toddler's convictions go, it didn't last long, but when I was 11 I made the switch permanently.

P.S.I think someone already alluded to this, but there's some really messed up stuff that goes on at "organic" dairy and meat farms. If you have ethical issues with meat/dairy, the organic seal means virtually nothing.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think this is really a decision that ultimately is going to have to be your's. If you truly believe in it, and you truly believe you can do it, then why not? I have a couple friends who are vegan, and there are times when they find it really hard. Just make sure that you watch your protein intake carefully because you won't be getting complete proteins from meat, eggs and/or dairy. I believe there is a government website somewhere that helps with balancing proteins for vegetarians (and of course I cannot find it right now.)

I'm not a vegetarian, but have cut meat drastically from my diet. I don't regret it, but I'm not sure I could go completely veg... especially at Thanksgiving.

If you decided to do it. Power to ya! :smile: