Essential Kitchen Items to help you eat healthier...

Options

Replies

• pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Food Scale
    Blender
    Salad Spinner
  • Cyanid3
    Cyanid3 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My ninja blender stick: make my morning smoothies plus you can turn it into a food processor.
    Tupperware/glass containers
    Food scale
    Measuring cups
    Thermos food jars (keep food cold or hot while you're on the go)
    Lunch box (eating healthy prepared food at work beats takeout)
    Ice packs to go in the lunch box if you're taking cold items
    All the essential baking tools...baking and cooking your own food means no preservatives or weird ingredients (rolling pin, cutting board, glass bowls -not plastic)
    A good set of knives
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    also a salad spinner and a huge container so I can make a ton of salad mix and have it on hand

Im considering getting a salad spinner.

I also agree measuring cups and spoons.
    food processor (though I don't think that is essential more of a nice thing to have)
    good cookware
    smaller plates is fantastic suggestion I generally do use those, but didn't even think of it.
    food scale I agree...though I have to be honest I get lazy about weighing...however, whenever my weight refuses to budge thats the first thing i do is bring that baby front and center.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    1 word.

VITAMIX

that is all.
  • christinehetz80
    Options
    wok (stir frys etc.)
    Digital scales
    fridge (to keep salads etc fresh)

Wok I completely agree! Makes stir frys a BREEZE!

A friend of mine said freezer..which is so true I make and freeze a lot of things in advance and when my fresh veggies or fruits aren't gonna get used in time I throw them in the freezer for future use.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    lemon juicer
    sharp knives
    garlic press
    cutting board

I shop every other day for fresh food so I don't care much about a large refrigerator.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    blender
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    In addition to lots of the the above comments, I'll add two:
    1. A chest freezer so we can buy healthier cuts of meat when they're on sale and then freeze them. We also stock up on berries in summer and freeze them. And we make triple/quadruple batches of healthy meals and save what we don't want to eat that week, so we have healthy "microwave dinners" ready for whenever we need them.
    2. Hot-air popper for popcorn.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I love my salad containers! There is a dressing cup that snaps into the lid!

http://www.glad.com/products/food-storage/containers/glad-to-go-lunch/
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    large reuseable divided trays for veggies and fruit. I am constantly refilling them and bring them to the table for every meal.
    Lots of measuring spoons (teaspoon, tablespoons especially)
    Good water filltration system that doesn't constantly need refilled
    I love love love my digital food scale
    Also handy: A helper to clean up/put away as I cook so that I'm not nibbling at stuff as I prepare meals (I know, I know.. self control!) Seriously, it helps if hubby clears the table immediately after dinner so I don't see that "just one more bit of this.. a nibble of that, oh I'll just use up..." you get the picture!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator, can opener and a microwave
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Masking tape and a cattle prod to keep me away from the kids biscuit tin!
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    my pretty little bowls and plates. I weigh or measure everything and serve it on something just the right size and color. Am constantly on the prowl for "just right" dishes. Also my immersion blender and olive oil mister
  • hellomeghan
    Options
    I have this cool little one-serving blender by Hamilton Beach from Target. I throw in plain yogurt and frozen fruit, blend it, and I've got myself a fabulously thick smoothie...which is a super healthier snack than most of the alternatives I would have chosen if I didn't have my little blender. :)

OH and also my blender bottle. it has a ridiculous amount of uses....salad dressings, protein shakes, everything. :D
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    digital scales....

portion control is everything

This ^^^^:ohwell:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    for me it is:

small pot
    very deep non-stick frying pan
    tea-spoon
    small but a bit deep plate
    $2 Ace brand knife
    cutting board
    food processor

I'm pretty sure I can do decently without some of this stuff but my entire kitchen pretty much consist of just these items (I got couple more plates and sioverware but thats about it)
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Measuring cups and spoons
    Digital scale
    George Foreman
    Crock pot
  • aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Tiny cocktail silverware!

Seriously. It helps you eat smaller bites so you're eating slower and feeling full sooner. Plus, they are cute as heck!

This is brilliant!
  • christinehetz80
    Options
    Masking tape and a cattle prod to keep me away from the kids biscuit tin!

hahahaha! THATS what I need to get to my goal weight!
  • tripod271
    tripod271 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    delilah - "huge fridge" - I loved this because it is so true! I have vegetables in every nook and cranny of my refrigerator. As soon as I get my FitBit going, I'm going to grocery shop more frequently and add more activity steps to my day. My MFP friend suggested that and it's advice that will help free up space. Thanks for posting.