Essential Kitchen Items to help you eat healthier...

Options

Replies

• km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    also a salad spinner and a huge container so I can make a ton of salad mix and have it on hand

Do these really work? I have always wondered...
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Well all my essentials have already been mentioned lol
    But I will add my most important anyway:

food scale
    salad spinner
    blender
    crock pot
    bread machine
    air popper for pop corn
    and one that hasn't been mentioned: my rotisserie!
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Bump =)
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    A place on my fridge with my goals, affirmations and perhaps a couple of shocking pics to keep me motivated!
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Only 2

* Small plate
    * Large mirror
  • lizal76t
    lizal76t Posts: 13
    Options
    How about a tea kettle I don't think anyone mentioned this. Most teas (or coffees) don't have any calories and I hate using my calories on drinks (unless it is Trop50 :) )!

I have a keurig and earl grey K cups so I don't even need the kettle and I can have a nice cup of tea for a snack anytime :)
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Tiny cocktail silverware!

Seriously. It helps you eat smaller bites so you're eating slower and feeling full sooner. Plus, they are cute as heck!

Hahaha I do this as well
  • dmmont38
    dmmont38 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has mention great things, all very helpful and needed in the kitchen, my two cents... self control. In the kitchen you have to have this, its so easy to cook a great meal and forget about the calories.
  • DeepBreaths
    Options
    A proper collection of recipe books! My personal favorites are Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food, and Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home. Dinner at Home is classic light Martha food, categorized by season for all you seasonal eaters.

Otherwise I would say:

Mellon Baller
    Mandolin - Cut down on prep time by 80%
    Jimmy Buffet Margarita Maker - Nothing makes a smoother smoothie.
    Yankee Candle Lemon Lavender

Have a wonderful time in your kitchen!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Food scale
    Measuring cups and spoons
    Cast iron frying pans
    A couple Dutch ovens
    Blender
  • BG10708
    BG10708 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sodastream - I drink lots of really fizzy plain water
    Non-stick Tefal frying pans - a small one for scrambling an egg or two and a large skillet for everything else
    Measuring spoons and cups
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    For me it is:

Digital scale
    Measuring cups/spoons
    George Foreman Grill
    Cutting board
    Sharp knives
    Salad spinner
    Lots of baggies in different sizes
    Small plates
    Crock Pot
    Microwave
    I also use my oven a lot to bake fish, roast veggies, etc.
    And it is not an essential, but a barbeque grill sure comes in handy, too.
  • alofay
    alofay Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    THE NINJA!!!

Best. Invention. EVER!!

And a hand juicer cause I love squeezing lemon and lime into my drinks :D

and the no brainer food scale!
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The single most important kitchen item that I use religiously every single day is my digital food scale that measures in ounces and grams. I also got a little tiny one that I can carry in my purse.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    1. A pad of paper and pen to plan a week worth of meals at once. Posted, so I stick to the plan.
    2. A crockpot.
    3. measuring cups/spoons.
    4. Optionally, if I could get my own personal chef, that would be helpful too.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Kitchen food scale, measuring cups and spoons (several sets of each - so you don't have to wash immediately if you are measuring numerous items at the same time), a really good non-stick skillet (so you don't need much oil), a good quality knife to help you chop vegetables, and Mrs. Dash (assorted flavors/blends) to help add flavor without using salt.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    a good set of knives, and a steel to keep them sharp
    crockpot
    set of glass storage containers...our have snap on lids, I love them.....they can go from fridge to nuker or oven, and even look nice enough to serve in
    banana hook...we have a lot of bananas lately, this keeps them off the counter.
    a perfect coffee mug that fits your hand and makes you smile.
  • erikapereira
    Options
    measuring cup/spoon
    ziplock steaming bags
    blender
    sharp knife
  • zakkthebear
    zakkthebear Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Vitamix, good scale, naglene bottles and good screw top glad containers. that's all you need
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I bought a glass salad dressing bottle for $4 at Target that has recipes and ounce measurements printed right on the bottle, like a measuring cup. I love it because -
    1. Making homemade salad dressing is very easy and I don't have to use a separate measuring cup
    2. It's easy to to see how much dressing you used (e.g. pouring 1 ounce from the bottle)
    3. It's glass, so I can pop refrigerated, olive oil based dressings in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to "loosen" them up

I love it so much I may buy another. Homemade salad dressings taste great to me and I know exactly what's in them.
    http://www.target.com/p/Lifetime-Brands-Salad-Dressing-Shaker/-/A-13759230
    FYI...
    Use Almond Oil, it will not solidfy in the fridge. But I like the dressing bottle. I might get one on the way home from work. Right now I use a little "Blender" bottle for my dressing.