Large Framed Ladies - 5'6" Goal Weight

Options

Replies

• tinacc1
    tinacc1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just used the calculator, and WOW! I didn't know that I was large framed. Changes everything! I am 5ft 5.5 inches and always thought I was medium framed. So, when I was 118 lbs and everyone said I looked sick, THEY MEANT IT! I have such a distorted
    body image that I have no idea what I actually look like.I still take size 18 clothes into the dressing rooms to try on, when I can wear a 12. The numbers on the tags mean nothing to me anymore. My doctor gave me a goal of 165 lbs to strive for, but I will reassess then, I'm thinking 150-155. I just want to be healthy, the numbers are secondary.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and have always had a higher than normal bone density (10% above normal acording to my latest bone density test), broad shoulders, big hands, and large feet! When I was younger the Doctor would always do a double take when I got on the scale as at 160 I wear a size 10. I'm now 190 and wear a size 14.

When you have "big bones" you don't really look at the scale as much but more how your clothing fits. I'm too heavy now and will keep on going until I get back to a size 10 which is a good size for me now (when I was younger I was a standard size 6/8 which was at about 140/145 pounds. My sister in law is the same height as I am and wears a size 2 and is 115. She definately has a small frame and what we used to call a slender build.
  • kathym59
    kathym59 Posts: 51
    Options
    My wrist is 6in, and my goal weight is 150lb. I know this is good for me as I actually got there, a million years ago! Lol. You have to see what you feel like, maybe get your body fat measured properly.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    There are absolutely different frame sizes, but bone density is the same. Our skeletons make up 12-15% of our total healthy body weight, so the weight of the bones themselves make no difference to our weight, it's the weight of the amount of muscle you can attach to those bones. If you have bigger bones, you will have more soft tissue around them.
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I was often told by my mother that I was "big boned" and I felt insulted - something about the wording made it sound unappealing and very unattractive. My wrist span is about 6.5" and I am between 5'7" and 5'8" so I think I am closer to medium-framed and years ago after my baby was born I looked and felt good between 132 - 135 pounds. Now that I am almost 60 I think that is an unrealistic weight for me so I'll probably settle between 155 and 160 - I'll decide later when I get further down the scale.
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    I've always weighed more than I looked. When I as younger I used to go to an orthopedic surgeon for a mild curve in my spine and he would look at my x-rays and tell me that I had a large bone structure. At my lowest of 140 my ribs and hip bones stuck out. My goal weight now is 145 but as I lose weight I'll re-evaluate and see how I look/feel.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and I want to weigh about 170. I think the hardest part is getting ridnog my thighs any ideas

Do the stair stepper. I too am 5'10 and started out at 200.6 in mid April and lost 24 pounds including 2 inches in my waist and 1.5 in my hips doing 30 minutes of stair stepper a day and some strength training daily.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and I want to weigh about 170. I think the hardest part is getting ridnog my thighs any ideas

Do the stair stepper. I too am 5'10 and started out at 200.6 in mid April and lost 24 pounds including 2 inches in my waist and 1.5 in my hips doing 30 minutes of stair stepper a day and some strength training daily.

to respond to the original post, I too was always told I was big-boned. The calculator stated medium. Being 5'10 I was told I looked too skinny at 145. I am opting for around 160-165 with better BMI. Currently 30.5 and told should be between 20-22%. Goals may change again, but for now at 176.9 have about 10-15+ more to go.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Well according to that link I am Medium sized, my wrist is about 6 inches. I always considered myself Large Framed because I have broader shoulders and hips, guess I'm just curvy!
  • mbcasey2009
    mbcasey2009 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My wrist is right under 6", I used the calculator and am told I'm small framed. This does NOT seem accurate. And it's discouraging :/ Guess I'll keep plugging away anyway!
  • Kassielin13
    Kassielin13 Posts: 263
    Options
    6 1/2 inch wrist here :smile: After already losing 50 lbs and having around 40 to go, my goal weight is 165-175 lbs. With already knowing what my body looked like at 155 lbs (5 years ago) I was not happy with how my hip and rib bones would show. Plus I have broad shoulders as most larger framed women do. I think that a happy goal weight for me to look and feel good about myself would definitely be 165-175 lbs.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I am in this group. 7.25" wrist! Hard finding watchbands and etc. 5'.5". I would love to be 135 lbs. 177 now. Good luck on your journey!

I too am 7.25" around the wrist. I concur that it is hard to find watch bands, let alone cute bracelets because I can never get them to fit over my hand...

That being said, my OB calculated for me at my appointment last week that I should weigh around 166lbs. I was shooting for 180 because anything below that and I look incredibly emaciated. I'm thinking I'm not large framed, but extra large framed... That and I want to keep my curves ;)
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and my goal weight is to be 170, I have a 6 inch wrist and at 186 currently already have protruding bones, not only do I have a large frame , I have a heavy frame and lots of skeletal muscle, I am currently around 21-24% body fat, so 16 more lbs will get me where I need to be, I would love to look down at the scale and see 140, but I know that is completely impossible and I have to go with what my body is made to be, not what society tells me I need to be based on some type of chart they put together. Good luck to you all!
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting I am between 5'6" and 5'7" and have a goal of 130 set for myself. Who would have guessed that I have a small frame. I have always thought I was large framed. My wrist is only 5" so I guess my goal is not unrealistic. I have weighed less than that in the past, but based on the height and weight chart I was underweight. I did not try to lose that much, it just happened. I have never had an eating disorder so I wasn't worried about it.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have a large frame too, I am half cajun and half redneck so I'm pretty built. will check out that link.

I currently weigh around 187 but because of my frame I have had people guess my weight at 160, which is actually my first goal. at that point, I will see how I feel/look and decide where to go from there.
  • DMarieLVT
    DMarieLVT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and have a 7.25" wrist. I was told by my doc that I'm large framed and I think I would honestly feel comfortable between 160-170. I know that's probably still too much as my BMI would still be in the overweight category :/ If I get there and feel that I need to go further, then I will.
  • bamababy35
    bamababy35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    well i am also 5'6, and ive always considered my self arge framed. simply because before i started to gain weight, i was heavier in the butt and thigh area. not fat, but firm! and no celllulite. i used to have a size goal of a 14. well when i reached that goal i was 180lbs! so now i have a weight goal of 160. i never want to b thin, because i have never been thin. i love my curves, i just want to shave some off these curves. thanks for rthe post
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I just used the calculator, and WOW! I didn't know that I was large framed. Changes everything! I am 5ft 5.5 inches and always thought I was medium framed. So, when I was 118 lbs and everyone said I looked sick, THEY MEANT IT! I have such a distorted
    body image that I have no idea what I actually look like.I still take size 18 clothes into the dressing rooms to try on, when I can wear a 12. The numbers on the tags mean nothing to me anymore. My doctor gave me a goal of 165 lbs to strive for, but I will reassess then, I'm thinking 150-155. I just want to be healthy, the numbers are secondary.

I do the same thing with the clothes, I have no idea what size I am now, kind of a size identity crisis!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i'm medium-framed, actually, and i'm 5'7", but my goal is 135-140. we'll see when i enter the 140s. haven't seen them since high school!
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" I believe I have a large frame as well my wrist is 6.75" I am currently 170ish and DH can feel my hip bones when we snuggle. I know I have a larger rib cage and hips. I have my current goal set to 153 for now and I will re-evaluate when I am there.