Large Framed Ladies - 5'6" Goal Weight

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php

Here's a body frame calculator.

This can't be right. If I put in 6.25" for wrist, it says "small frame". If I put in 6.50" it says "large frame". So, that means medium is only in a small range somewhere between 1/4"?? Whacked.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Weird, my thumb and finger just touch, yet, my wrist is 7'. Am I medium or large?? I guess I'll say medium ( with big hands. lol)

And there you've discovered the flaw in the 'use hands to measure self' system :) Tape measure beats hands.

Also make sure you are measuring in the right place below the wrist bone. Fat and muscle above the wrist can give a false reading. I thought I was a large frame for years, until I realized I was measuring wrong.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and currently weigh 161lbs.
    It's hard for me to gauge an UGW becuase I have a big twin tummy -- not sure how much I can get rid of without a plastic surgeon.
    Other than my tummy I am happy with my body, so I am aiming right now for 155 (I haven't lost weight in awhile so getting there will be a struggle) and I will reassess.

I too can't see myself being below 150, becuase my face, and neck, and arms, etc. can't lose much more weight I would look ill!!!!!

Pics on my profile.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    my goal weight is 135. I'm hoping that I will look the way I want to at a higher weight though so I can go into maintenance sooner. I've not ever looked my weight (according to everybody who has every found out my weight).
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" as well... I've always been able (even at my largest over 315) to over lap my middle finger & thumb around either wrist (which is currently reading 6.5"). So can both of my sisters. One is 5'9" and 210 and really isn't what I call fat. The other sister is 5'11" and over 275 and yes, she could stand to loose some weight (we call her the linebacker of the family).

Turns out we (me & the sis's) got our size not from Mom's side of the mix (her, her sister & mother where all 5'2"-5'3") but from our father's side. I've seen a picture of Grandma & Great-Grandma and they had to be close to 6' if not over. They towered over their husbands and even most of their children.

The only reason I am short is my spine - I have Scoliosis. But I have long legs & arms (longer reach than my taller hubby :P )

But my goal weight is round the 170 mark, for several reasons. I've been down round the 200 mark before and had a good amount of muscle, but also I don't want to see my bones. And honestly, I don't think I can healthily get down to the 125lb my height calls for. If i would, I honestly think I would look sickly.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    wow! I never knew this! I am 5'6" and my wrist size turns out to be 7". Not sure what that makes my goal weight but it does make me feel better!
  • tarag8100
    tarag8100 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm large framed and GW is 150! You have to take into account your body frame when setting a weight goal :-) I once got down to 138 (by unhealthy means) and looking back I was on the verge of too skinny for my frame. Absolutely could not be 120 and look good!
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am not sure of my body frame, but I am 5'7 and my goal is 150. I want to be a fit and muscular 150 though, not just skinny 150...if that makes any sense to you. Basically I should look like I weigh less then 150, but weight 150 because of strength training. I weight 186 now and most people don't think I look that, so hopefully I am heading in the right direction.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I totally believe that there is a difference in body frames. I am 5'6" and have a large frame and am striving for a goal weight of 160.

This ^^^
    I look anorexic at anything below this. I've been there and it's not pretty!
    I started at 229lbs and current weight is 195lbs and hopefully still losing. Still working at adjusting my calories right now.
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Right now I am aiming for 140. I think I have a medium frame. I can touch my fingers around my wrist. I carry all of my weight in my stomach. I have no rear end and my legs are nice. My upper arms still can stand to lose the jiggle and gain the muscle. My thighs need alot of toning to but they aren't what I would call fat just flabby.
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is the factor that the BMI does not allow for........body size. I am great at 134. 5'4'', 7'' wrist, athletic muscular.

I was 128 in my pic with my daughter at the Texas monument. If y'all want to see it.... top far right pic.

Then there is the ugh current one.....how in this universe did I let THIS happen?????
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I am also very large framed with a 7" wrist. When I was doing training the first time, I was given a target weight of 150 lbs for my 5' 6" height. Go with what makes you feel good. I had gotten down to 170 lbs and was between and size 10 and 12 and looked and felt great. That was more important to me.
  • shani41
    shani41 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How do I get started ? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole Idea/concept. I appreciate any advice you have to help.
    I am 5'6" and 178 lbs. I want to get to 135
    Thanks,
    Shani
  • l_beakley
    Options
    Based on the fingers around your wrist test, I have a small frame because my fingers overlap. Yet, according to all of the other tests, I have a large frame. Does that mean I'm medium? I know I'm confused!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    thank you for this, I too am 5'6" I am currently 154, not sure what my goal weight will end up, 15 yrs ago I lost alot of weight and got down to 128 lbs and everyone said I looked anorexic at the time I didnt think so, but looking back at pics I think I was too thin so I think maybe 145 would be a good weight for me.....not less then 140
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    So in contrast to the large frames, I'm 5'6.5" and 131lbs with the calculator saying I'm a small frame. I'm at 19%BF which for me is awesome though for the heck of it I wanna see what 17% BF looks like. I wear a size 4/5 ish currently. I do not look anorexic at all. If I do this is news to me.
  • Stary714
    Stary714 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This is really inspiring! When I first started to loose weight I wanted to be 120lbs for many reasons but soon I realized that 150-160 is healthier for me. I'm 5'10 with broad shoulders and wide hips.

I'm not tiny and I don't ever want to be! I have never been a size 0 and I never want to be!
  • kyomoon
    kyomoon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just discovered I am "Large Framed"! Who knew! I measured my wrist and it is almost 7" around! I can not touch my pointer finger and thumb around either wrist. I had always thought I was small framed since I was always a petite little thing as a child. I was looking over other board topics and seeing other girls at 5'6" with goal weights in the 120lb range and wondering if I was just lacking ambition, since my UGW was so much higher than theirs! A few simple measurements and I feel LOADS better! I have lost 22lbs already and I am down to 150. I can't imagine weighing 30lbs less than I do now - I would be emaciated! So here's a shout out of encouragement to all you large framed ladies out there.... :) keep at it gorgeous!

I am large framed, 5'6" and my ultimate goal weight is 145. What's yours? Anyone have pics?

I'm 5'7" and ALL the women in my family have Amazonian builds! :wink: We are all tall (I'm the shortest!) with hips, *kitten*, boobs & shoulders and totally proud of it! My "smallest" sister... weight-wise that is lost more weight & went from a size 10 to an 8... she looked sick. And I don't mean that in a good way. She looked emaciated. I'd like to see the other side of 150 but if I can't... then I can't.

Besides, I have no desire to be stick thin. I just want to be healthy AND super curvy!!! :drinker:
  • tubway
    tubway Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I' m 5'7" with a 6 7/8" wrist so I guess that makes me large framed. I have big feet (size 10) and hands too so I guess that makes sense. Anyway, according to the page about determining your frame size my ideal weight should be 148.5 lbs. I'm shooting for 155-160 cuz I have been around that weight before and thought that was a good weight for me. Currently I'm 191. Wish me luck!
  • gingerOHsnap
    Options
    I'm 5'5 1/2" and my goal weight is 145 too.