BMR IS not for obese and morbidly obese people

Options
When your BMI is more than 30 u are obese and if it is more than 40 u are morbidly obese .

The nutritionist and doctors say u should not eat less than your BMR but in this case , your BMR will be more than

2800 cal and even 3500 cal with u workout , u will have at least 4000 cal to eat per day, and it is not makes sense when your

weight is 300 400 or 500 pounds , it will take life to lose weight and your chance to avoid the obesity diseases become low .

I know that u should eat more to lose more but not 4000 cal/day .

As obese when u lose reasonable amount of pounds then u will think about bmr but until that u should not eat more than 1500 cal .

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have 110 more pounds to lose which makes me morbidly obese. My BMR is around 1700 cal/day according to MFP. I eat 1600 + exercise cals and have been losing at a healthy and reasonable rate.

Trading in fat unhealthiness for starving unhealthiness is NOT the way to go.

If your body is using 2800 calories to keep everything running smoothly, so be it. You don't gain weight by eating your BMR and exercise calories, those people gained so much because they were eating WAY MORE than that. So if you're going to eat 2800 calories down from 5000+, you're gonna lose.

PLEASE no one take this person's advice!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm obese and your post isnt true for me. i'm eating above my BMR and i'm going at a pace to lose all 80 pounds i have within 12 months. i dont eat my exercise calories back.

i also think it's going to depend on what type of activities you are doing as well. i lift heavy weights and do lots of interval training with cardio. there's no way i would be able to get through those workouts and only eat the 1200 calories MFP suggested i eat. I tried it for a few weeks and not only did it take me longer to recover from a lift session but i also didnt see any more weight loss than when i increased by calories to 1800 calories
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

you mean you understood that ?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Well, since you provided such authoritative sources.
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When your BMI is more than 30 u are obese and if it is more than 40 u are morbidly obese .

The nutritionist and doctors say u should not eat less than your BMR but in this case , your BMR will be more than

2800 cal and even 3500 cal with u workout , u will have at least 4000 cal to eat per day, and it is not makes sense when your

weight is 300 400 or 500 pounds , it will take life to lose weight and your chance to avoid the obesity diseases become low .

As obese when u lose reasonable amount of pounds then u will think about bmr but until that u should not eat more than 1500 cal .

What??
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options

Methinks you don't quite understand how BMR is calculated...because this couldn't be MORE wrong.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

He's saying that when your BMI is over 30 you shouldn't eat at your BMR because it is too high. You should starve and not eat more than 1500 calories even if your BMR is 2800. Otherwise it would take too long to lose the weight (which is not true).

A bunch of bull.
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

What??

Spanish Lil John Quuuuueeeeeeeeeee????? lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think the OP might be confusing BMR calcualtions with the (body weight * 10) calculations that have been posted on a few threads today. I agree that someone very heavy should not use body weight * 10.

I weigh about 155. Not eating below 1550 calories makes sense for me (though my BMR is 1392). But if I weighed 400 lbs, not eating below 4000 calories would be ridiculous.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    A bunch of bull.

I got that from any reference to BMR other than as a step to calculating TDEE to be honest.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If you can't spell "you", I really don't think you are qualified to give any type of advice!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    1500 is not enough for a very large man..
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    That made my eyes bleed.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    MFP calculated my daily calorie intake as 1780 calories, and my body wasn't changing (yes I was eating my exercise calories). With advice from my doctor, who also uses MFP, I lowered it down to 1600 and now am starting to see a difference. You have to find what works for YOU.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your daily activity, I eat 2200-2500 calories a day and lose 2lbs a week. If I eat less during the day...I don't lose weight!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

LOL.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    That made my eyes bleed.

^^This
  • bob6702
    bob6702 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That made my eyes bleed.

^^This
  • om98
    om98 Posts: 48
    Options
    English is not my first language and i can do better than that but i wanted to write my thoughts
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Well, my BMI is 32.4. So, yes, I am obese. My BMR is 1712 and you better believe I eat every single one of those calories and then some! And I am steadily losing weight.

Yes, people with a lot of weight to lose can get away with larger deficits in the beginning. But at some point, they will have to reevaluate their goals to continue with healthy, sustainable loss.