BMR IS not for obese and morbidly obese people

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    English is not my first language and i can do better than that but i wanted to write my thoughts
    If you can do better than that then why didn't you? Anyway, you're still wrong. Maybe you should make it a blog post.
  • om98
    om98 Posts: 48
    Options
    Obesity is related to many of diseases and if u want to lose 1-2/week , it will not works , u have big chance to give up in first 2-3 months and return to your old habits

so lose as possible as u can and then u can control your plan .

when u are obese , life saving surgery become very dangerous !!!!!
  • om98
    Options
    English is not my first language and i can do better than that but i wanted to write my thoughts
    If you can do better than that then why didn't you? Anyway, you're still wrong. Maybe you should make it a blog post.

it is my fault but i don't have experience in such sites like that ( community site )
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Obesity is related to many of diseases and if u want to lose 1-2/week , it will not works , u have big chance to give up in first 2-3 months and return to your old habits

For people weighing in the range of 550-800 pounds, who are in immediate danger from their weight and are not able to do day to day activities, yes a DOCTOR moderated liquid diet of 1200 a day will help them.

For people who are obese or morbidly obese but are still fully functional and independent, a healthy diet and exercise plan is enough. Even if it takes a year or two to lose the weight, every pound lost enhances their overall health.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying they're gonna fail anyway so they may as well starve a while and lose as much as possible?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    PLEASE no one take this person's advice!

you mean you understood that ?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I eat 2200-2500 calories a day and lose 2lbs per week, you shouldn't tell people they can't do something when you obviously have no clue what you are talking about!
  • om98
    Options
    I don't say they can not do it ( i am morbidly obese myself ) , so i know what i am talkng about

THE ONLY IDEA , IN FIRST 3 OR 4 MONTHS OF YOUR JOURNEY ON WEIGHT LOSE YOU SHOULD EAT UNDER YOUR BMR
    BECAUSE YOU HAVE TONS OF POUNDS TO LOSE

AND AFTER YOU ACHIEVE REASONABLE RESULTS THEN U CAN LISTEN TO YOUR BMR
  • chnkytim42
    chnkytim42 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ROFL, I needed a good laugh today, almost fell of my seat, i was 320 pounds, granted i dont eat all the recommended calories, and i dont eat back exercise calories, i still would never eat below 1500 calories, you sir just earned the dunce of they day award........ dirrrr diiiiiiieeeeee dddddddiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrr.
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't say they can not do it ( i am morbidly obese myself ) , so i know what i am talkng about

THE ONLY IDEA , IN FIRST 3 OR 4 MONTHS OF YOUR JOURNEY ON WEIGHT LOSE YOU SHOULD EAT UNDER YOUR BMR

Sweetheart, I understand what your trying to say but if it worked for you that doesn't meant it will work for everybody. I sincerely believe that everyone at that level of obesity should seek for professional help and find what works best for them. I'm obese myself and I had been trying diets that everybody told me were good all my life without any result. So my best advice is to not do this on their own or following comments on the internet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I think I understand, and I can't say I disagree. There is a point where you could eat too low for your loss to be healthy, but you can safely lose and eat under your BMR if you have plenty of fat on your body.

People always say "don't eat under your BMR" because that's what your body needs just to survive. But all those calories don't have to come from food eaten. By eating less you force your body to use more of it's stored fuel (e.g. fat).
  • bcattoes
    Options
    ROFL, I needed a good laugh today, almost fell of my seat, i was 320 pounds, granted i dont eat all the recommended calories, and i dont eat back exercise calories, i still would never eat below 1500 calories, you sir just earned the dunce of they day award........ dirrrr diiiiiiieeeeee dddddddiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrr.

Do you know what your BMR was when you were 320 lbs? I would think 1500 was below BMR for a 320 lb man.

ETA: according to an online BMR calculator (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/), the BMR for a 320 lb 24 yo male would be over 2500 at any height from 5'0" to 7'0"
  • spekkio12345
    spekkio12345 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have read that a more aggressive approach to weight loss is to calculate what your BMR would be at your goal weight and make that your daily calorie limit from the beginning.

This site uses a more conservative approach by recalculating your BMR as you lose the weight, gradually reducing the amount of calories you eat daily.

Either way is likely to result in weight loss, however the op is at least slightly correct in that morbidly obese folks probably could eat a whole lot less than their actual BMR and still have a healthy weight loss rate. Nobody short of extreme athletes needs to be eating 3500+ calories daily.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that when you are larger, it takes more calories you body has to work harder to run your organs. Drastically cutting calories too low can have bad consequences, even if you lose weight. I'm just barely in the "morbidly obese" category and my BMR is about 1900. Not that high. I think you are thinking of MAINTENANCE calories (as in what it would take to maintain your current weight), which yes, you'd want to eat less than that if you are trying to lose weight.
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1900, i am obese and tried eating 1200 a day, I gained weight. Eating too little can cause your body to do weird things.
    I lift heavy and train hard, I'll eat the calories I need to for my body to work properly and still lose at the same time. Everyone needs to find what works for them
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I suggest you seek the assistance of a physician. I went to my general practioner to develop a weight loss plan. Everyone's situation is not going to be the same so I don't believe in taking the blanket advice of non-professionals.

Whether your doctor/nutritionist decides to restrict your caloric intake or increase it is really up to that medical professional's opinion of what would be best for you.

And in the end you still have to do what works for YOU.

Good Luck to everyone out there!
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

English is not my first language too but I do think that every language deserves respect. "Wanted to write my thoughts" is not an excuse for writing u instead of you and all that slang.

I hate slang so much.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    My BMR is 1900, i am obese and tried eating 1200 a day, I gained weight.

If you gained weight, it was just water weight. You didn't gain fat by eating under your BMR.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    I started out with a BMI of somewhere in the mid-30's, right smack in the middle of obese and well on my way to morbidly so. I started this journey eating what MFP told me to, but upped my calories to right around my BMR by changing my activity level about a month ago. This month I have been able to resist slaying people for food. :laugh: Seriously, even for someone with a BMI of 35, if you are female and short, you don't GET that many calories unless you are HIGHLY active - an unlikely, although possible, combination!

So bottom line, in my opinion if you are obese you should probably err on the side of netting your BMR. As others have said, under doctor's supervision, if you are morbidly obese and issues related to your weight warrant it, a physician might put you on a strict weight loss regime, but that isn't something a web site like this should be telling you to do, IMHO.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    When your BMI is more than 30 u are obese and if it is more than 40 u are morbidly obese .

The nutritionist and doctors say u should not eat less than your BMR but in this case , your BMR will be more than

2800 cal and even 3500 cal with u workout , u will have at least 4000 cal to eat per day, and it is not makes sense when your

weight is 300 400 or 500 pounds , it will take life to lose weight and your chance to avoid the obesity diseases become low .

I know that u should eat more to lose more but not 4000 cal/day .

As obese when u lose reasonable amount of pounds then u will think about bmr but until that u should not eat more than 1500 cal .

Really? My BMR is about 2400 calories, TDEE between 2900 and 3500 depending on exercise. I pick my deficit based on that, and have lost over 40 pounds in 5 months. Granted, some people start out a lot heavier than my original 360 pounds, but it still didn't take that long to make a lot of progress. If I can keep it up all the way down to my goal, I should be there within two years... hardly "taking my life to lose the weight."
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1900, i am obese and tried eating 1200 a day, I gained weight.

If you gained weight, it was just water weight. You didn't gain fat by eating under your BMR.

It very well could have been. But its very discouraging to eat 1200 a day(for quite a while) and train and gain weight in the end.