BMR IS not for obese and morbidly obese people

Options

Replies

• LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    at my current 295.4 my BMR 2,067 calories/day ( i average 2,000 - 2500 calories a day and I AM losing weight ( i'm not about to starve myself b/c some one said so

your calculations are already wrong OP

please DO NOT tell people what to do

oh and at my highest of 312 it was 2142
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Your BMR estimate using the calc's that use age/weight/height are inflated, and more inflated, the more overweight you are.

Unless you somehow managed to maintain the same ratio of LBM / Fat the study participants had in the studies already at healthy weight. And that is rare, but possible.

Otherwise, get a BodPod test, or some other estimate of bodyfat%, and use the Katch-McArdle BMR calc, which will actually be deflated the more overweight you are.

That's why it's said obese can eat under their BMR safely with no problems, they either are really not, or at least not by much.

That being said, their BMR is a whole lot higher than when they lose weight.

And they'd hate to lose their muscle mass before they lose the weight - because carrying it around is a great all day fat/calories burning activity.

Of course at some point, you don't need big muscular calves if not carrying around the weight, so you will eventually be burning off some muscle and hopefully having chance to build where desired.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I cannot quite understand what he is trying to say but I was in the obese to morbidly obese range I cut my calories down to 1600 to 2000 a day not eating anything back and excerised 3-5 times a week and to be honest the weight melted off me. Also I was not starving myself I was eating healthier and some days at 1600 calories I felt way full and other days 1600 calories I was still hungry so it varied a bit. But I did not Starve myself by far.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I understand you wanting to write your thoughts. But what are those thoughts based on? Years of MD experience? Many hours pouring over case files of morbidly obese people? Any fact? Or just fun thoughts that materialize?

You said to eat under my BMR for 3-4 months. What is this based on? Why 3-4 months? Because I have a lot to lose? Not sure that's really a medical way to phrase things.

Forget logic, science, rational thought. This site alone is full of case studies that debunk your theory. Case closed.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a headache, then I read this and now I do.:grumble:
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1900, i am obese and tried eating 1200 a day, I gained weight.

If you gained weight, it was just water weight. You didn't gain fat by eating under your BMR.

It very well could have been. But its very discouraging to eat 1200 a day(for quite a while) and train and gain weight in the end.

Not really a part of this topic, but 1200 calories is too low if your BMR is 1900. Even at a sedentary lifestyle with no exercise, you'd be burning around 2300 calories per day. Doing that for too long will slow your metabolism down and inhibit weight loss.
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1900, i am obese and tried eating 1200 a day, I gained weight.

If you gained weight, it was just water weight. You didn't gain fat by eating under your BMR.

It very well could have been. But its very discouraging to eat 1200 a day(for quite a while) and train and gain weight in the end.

Not really a part of this topic, but 1200 calories is too low if your BMR is 1900. Even at a sedentary lifestyle with no exercise, you'd be burning around 2300 calories per day. Doing that for too long will slow your metabolism down and inhibit weight loss.

Exactly my point! It was way too little and hurt my body
  • om98
    om98 Posts: 48
    Options
    I cannot quite understand what he is trying to say but I was in the obese to morbidly obese range I cut my calories down to 1600 to 2000 a day not eating anything back and excerised 3-5 times a week and to be honest the weight melted off me.

exactly this is what i want to say . if you are obese or morbidly obese and u manage to cut your cal less than your bmr
    you will lose weight and in healthy way and you have big chance to continue to your goal
  • tiffanic83
    Options
    So a little away from what the OP said, in general I don''t think the BMR is accurate for everyone. I posted something about this last night. If I ate what that told me to eat, I would not lose any weight (2100 calories). I am 5'8, with a large frame and am in the 300's. I only know that because I know my own body, my genetics, my family history, and that even weight loss surgery under supervision of doctors did not work for me. I know that I have to eat under 1500 a day and lots of exercise to see ANY results. It comes down to the individual. Everyone is different.
  • om98
    Options
    I understand you wanting to write your thoughts. But what are those thoughts based on? Years of MD experience? Many hours pouring over case files of morbidly obese people? Any fact? Or just fun thoughts that materialize?

You said to eat under my BMR for 3-4 months. What is this based on? Why 3-4 months? Because I have a lot to lose? Not sure that's really a medical way to phrase things.

Forget logic, science, rational thought. This site alone is full of case studies that debunk your theory. Case closed.

being obese and morbidly obese for almost whole my life , i think i can have some thoughts , is it true or not i dont know , but i have the right to write it
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    being obese and morbidly obese for almost whole my life , i think i can have some thoughts , is it true or not i dont know , but i have the right to write it

Have the right to write it? Sure.

Have the right to write it without being criticized? No, you don't.
    Obesity is related to many of diseases and if u want to lose 1-2/week , it will not works , u have big chance to give up in first 2-3 months and return to your old habits

You also have a big chance to give up if you're putting yourself low enough that you're lacking energy to perform functions of daily life and you're spending all your time dreaming constantly about food. If you feel the only choices are feeling like you're starving for the rest of your life and being fat, you may very well choose being fat.
  • om98
    Options
    So a little away from what the OP said, in general I don''t think the BMR is accurate for everyone. I posted something about this last night. If I ate what that told me to eat, I would not lose any weight (2100 calories). I am 5'8, with a large frame and am in the 300's. I only know that because I know my own body, my genetics, my family history, and that even weight loss surgery under supervision of doctors did not work for me. I know that I have to eat under 1500 a day and lots of exercise to see ANY results. It comes down to the individual. Everyone is different.

As me if we want life saving surgery maybe we will die from it

so we need to lose reasonable amount of pounds before we start talk about bmr and rmr
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    That made my eyes bleed.

Hahahaha!
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This really makes me sad, There is a lot of people out there trying to find answers and looking for help and threads like this one are going to confuse them. I was the type of people that everytime I tried to lose weight I got some many different comments that I hold myself back and continue with the bad eating habits and didn't do anything.... People go to a Doctor and find was best for YOU!
  • om98
    Options

Have the right to write it? Sure.

Obesity is related to many of diseases and if u want to lose 1-2/week , it will not works , u have big chance to give up in first 2-3 months and return to your old habits

You also have a big chance to give up if you're putting yourself low enough that you're lacking energy to perform functions of daily life and you're spending all your time dreaming constantly about food. If you feel the only choices are feeling like you're starving for the rest of your life and being fat, you may very well choose being fat.

i don't say starve your self , you can eat 1500 cal/day with all healthy food( fruits veg protein ) and feel full whole day and still lose
    weight
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    PLEASE no one take this person's advice!

you mean you understood that ?

Almost snorted my coffee! Thanks! lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Well that is just sad. Disagreeing is one thing. There is no need to criticize someone else's thoughts though.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I think people are more likely to reach their goal if they are not going to bed hungry each night or giving up assuming themselves to be failures due to trying to restrict themselves to unnecessarily low daily calorie allowances.

This is as much about learning how to eat properly as it is to lose weight for most here.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    i don't say starve your self , you can eat 1500 cal/day with all healthy food( fruits veg protein ) and feel full whole day and still lose
    weight

This is very much arguable and depends on the weight that you are and the exercise level that you have. Many people still feel hungry even on 1500.

OP, you are essentially saying "my way is the only way that you should lose weight if you're morbidly obese." That just plain isn't true -- there are some people here with extremely impressive losses, over 200 lbs -- there's one person I'm aware of who's lost well over 300 and certainly hasn't been restricting to 1500 calories during that time.
  • Melzicious
    Options

so lose as possible as u can and then u can control your plan .

when u are obese , life saving surgery become very dangerous !!!!!

You are more likely to give up if you starve yourself (unnecessarily I might add) by eating below your BMR.