Down 79 lbs! Ready for my next 79 and beyond (with pics)

Options
**TRIGGER WARNING FOR THOSE WITH SENSITIVITIES TO VIEWING NUMBERS AND DISORDERED EATING PATTERNS**

When I first started this journey, I refused to post numbers because I was so ashamed at how big I had gotten. My start point is the largest I had ever been in my whole life. I was miserable. I was deep into my ED and binge eating daily, sometimes twice daily.
I started on December 2, 2011 after feeling resentful that my family wanted me to go shopping and do all the things that you do with family during the holidays.
Here I am on Black Friday morning in my mother's blue wing backed chair, forcing a smile before we headed out to shop.

imagejpeg_31.jpg
I really just wanted to stay glued to this chair and parked in front of the TV. I hurt all over, and the slightest movement left me gasping for breath. When it dawned on me that I was mad at them for wanting to do something that NORMAL people do, that was rock bottom.
Here I am, a couple weeks later and wondering how I was going to get up off the floor after wrapping gifts. I had already started my journey and was feeling a teeny-tiny bit better, but I was still depressed at how much I had to lose.

Buddha.png
When I hit my -75 lb mark on April 19th, I went back to my mom's house to visit “The Chair.” That chair has become a symbol of my journey in many ways – One of the few chairs in her house that was able to hold me up at my heaviest, its wings became a structure and tool that helps me measure my success. Though it's wide in girth, at one point I was wider than the chair … now I'm not. It gave me the “wings” to do something about my health once and for all.

5f09.jpg
b329.jpg

I wanted to tackle this on my own, without supplements or powders or living on under 1200 calories per day, or worse, (for me) surgery.  I knew how weight loss worked, and I knew what I needed to do for it to work for me.  I just needed to get it in motion and not stop until I am at my goal. I think of this journey as one pound over and over until I am at my goal weight of 150 and/or a size 10.   I wanted to see if I could be as successful at it as I had been with my studies – I am an almost-straight “A” honor student with a 3.95 overall GPA after spending 15 years as a college dropout. At this point I am sure that I can do anything I set my mind to do! I decided to stop letting the pain and shame of my past manifest itself on my body (long story, another day).

I tracked my actual weight loss (and gains!) in a note on my phone.  I'll post it here:

Dec 2, 2012 - 475 lb.
Jan 9, 2012 - 460 lb.
Jan 16, 2012 - 440 lb.
Jan 23, 2012 - 440 lb.

- DIGITAL NEW SCALE -

JAN 25 - 441.6
JAN 26 - 438.8
JAN 27 - 436.8
JAN 29 - 435.6
JAN 30 - 436.6 +
JAN 31 - 435.0

FEB 01 - 434.6
FEB 02 - 433.0
FEB 03 - 433.4 +
FEB 04 - 433.0
FEB 05 - 432.2
FEB 06 - 429.6
FEB 07 - 429.2
FEB 09 - 428.8
FEB 10 - 427.8      10%    B
FEB 11 - 429.0+
FEB 13 - 426.8
FEB 14 - 427.2+
FEB 15 - 427.8+
FEB 16 - 426.6
FEB 17 - 427.8+
FEB 18 - 426.4
FEB 21 - 425.8
FEB 22 - 425.6       -50 lbs
FEB 29 - 424.0       

MAR 02 - 423.0
MAR 03 - 420.0
MAR 05 - 419.2
MAR 09 - 417.8
MAR 11 - 416.8
MAR 14 - 415.2    -60 lbs
MAR 16 - 412.6
MAR 22 - 409.8
MAR 30 - 411.8+

APR 02 - 409.8
APR 03 - 406.6
APR 04 - 405.8     -70 lbs
APR 12 - 403.2
APR 18 - 402.8
APR 20 - 401.0
APR 22 - 398.4     OUT OF THE 400s!!
APR 24 - 397.8
APR 25 - 396.4

I measure on the last day of the month.  Here are the results of my last three measure-ins.

Feb 29th (Leap Day!):
Chest 55"
Bust   61"
Waist 58"
Hips  73"

March 31st:
Chest 49"
Bust  60"
Waist 51.5"
Hips 71"

Today, April 30th:
Chest 49"
Bust 57"
Waist 48.5"
Hips 69

And .... Here I am yesterday afternoon @ 396
9021.jpg

Most of my weight is situated around belly, waist, hips, and thighs.  I'm definitely a pear.  Fortunately, though, this is where I lose weight easiest and soonest.  I have been told that I "carry it well" when it comes to my weight.  I really don't want to carry excess weight "well," I don't want to carry it at all!

About my food and eating:
When I first started I was on Weight Watchers' PointsPlus plan. It was an excellent tool to help me get a handle on my binge eating and bring the focus back to myself. Counting points was a catalyst that helped me want more for myself. I eventually weaned myself to Weight Watchers' Simply Filling plan, where you don't count points but eat what you need from a set list. On the SF plan, you give your body more autonomy by learning to listen to its cues for hunger. I was very familiar with Intuitive Eating and how it's a model to help people with eating disorders – SF is Weight Watchers' approach to that. This was good for me, but I still needed to be set free from the notion that some foods are “good” or “bad” and do away with the list of foods. I needed to heal me and my relationship with food. I have since weaned myself off Weight Watchers and I am completely to the mercy of my body. I listen to hunger cues and feed myself accordingly. I have learned that I get hungry 4 times per day and I am satisfied with anywhere between 300-400 calories per meal, which ends up being 1200-1600 calories per day. I have also learned that it is good for me to honor my body by satisfying cravings – If I don't eat what I crave, then it's possible that I will end up eating more of what I don't want and pack on unnecessary calories that could have been avoided if I had just eaten what I craved in the first place. I have had cholesterol and heart issues in my family so I have cut out red meat and eat (mostly) non fat dairy and egg whites only. I don't believe there are any good or bad foods if you don't have any dietary issues with them, and that you should have what you want in moderation. I eat carbs, I eat sugar in the form of fruit, I eat some high fat cheeses. I don't eat red meat, poultry, or fried foods. I eat fish, a TON of veggies, beans, fruit, and lots of water.
About my fitness:
I've never been militant about my exercise. I started with a gentle walking program. It was so hard for me because just standing hurt so bad - my back, hips, and knees were screaming. I gradually increased my endurance and now I walk 10K steps per day (Love my Fitbit!). On my 37th birthday in February, I bought a bicycle and I ride it everywhere, every day -- to work, to the store, or just around the neighborhood and beyond. I have found tremendous joy in being on my bike and riding is something I have wanted to do for the past 20 years but I was always so scared and had a serious case of Fat Person On A Bike syndrome. Now, I don't even care who laughs – I am free on my bike. I do structured exercise for an hour about 2 times a week – either Zumba or some other form of aerobics. I do train with resistance tubes 3X a week and I just started Kettlebell workouts.
Gotta say that it feels good to come out from behind the curtain and to post actual numbers! Thanks, Fitness Pals!

Replies

• 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    **TRIGGER WARNING FOR THOSE WITH SENSITIVITIES TO VIEWING NUMBERS AND DISORDERED EATING PATTERNS**

When I first started this journey, I refused to post numbers because I was so ashamed at how big I had gotten. My start point is the largest I had ever been in my whole life. I was miserable. I was deep into my ED and binge eating daily, sometimes twice daily.
    I started on December 2, 2011 after feeling resentful that my family wanted me to go shopping and do all the things that you do with family during the holidays.
    Here I am on Black Friday morning in my mother's blue wing backed chair, forcing a smile before we headed out to shop.

imagejpeg_31.jpg
    I really just wanted to stay glued to this chair and parked in front of the TV. I hurt all over, and the slightest movement left me gasping for breath. When it dawned on me that I was mad at them for wanting to do something that NORMAL people do, that was rock bottom.
    Here I am, a couple weeks later and wondering how I was going to get up off the floor after wrapping gifts. I had already started my journey and was feeling a teeny-tiny bit better, but I was still depressed at how much I had to lose.

Buddha.png
    When I hit my -75 lb mark on April 19th, I went back to my mom's house to visit “The Chair.” That chair has become a symbol of my journey in many ways – One of the few chairs in her house that was able to hold me up at my heaviest, its wings became a structure and tool that helps me measure my success. Though it's wide in girth, at one point I was wider than the chair … now I'm not. It gave me the “wings” to do something about my health once and for all.

5f09.jpg
    b329.jpg

I wanted to tackle this on my own, without supplements or powders or living on under 1200 calories per day, or worse, (for me) surgery.  I knew how weight loss worked, and I knew what I needed to do for it to work for me.  I just needed to get it in motion and not stop until I am at my goal. I think of this journey as one pound over and over until I am at my goal weight of 150 and/or a size 10.   I wanted to see if I could be as successful at it as I had been with my studies – I am an almost-straight “A” honor student with a 3.95 overall GPA after spending 15 years as a college dropout. At this point I am sure that I can do anything I set my mind to do! I decided to stop letting the pain and shame of my past manifest itself on my body (long story, another day).

I tracked my actual weight loss (and gains!) in a note on my phone.  I'll post it here:

Dec 2, 2012 - 475 lb.
    Jan 9, 2012 - 460 lb.
    Jan 16, 2012 - 440 lb.
    Jan 23, 2012 - 440 lb.

- DIGITAL NEW SCALE -

JAN 25 - 441.6
    JAN 26 - 438.8
    JAN 27 - 436.8
    JAN 29 - 435.6
    JAN 30 - 436.6 +
    JAN 31 - 435.0

FEB 01 - 434.6
    FEB 02 - 433.0
    FEB 03 - 433.4 +
    FEB 04 - 433.0
    FEB 05 - 432.2
    FEB 06 - 429.6
    FEB 07 - 429.2
    FEB 09 - 428.8
    FEB 10 - 427.8      10%    B
    FEB 11 - 429.0+
    FEB 13 - 426.8
    FEB 14 - 427.2+
    FEB 15 - 427.8+
    FEB 16 - 426.6
    FEB 17 - 427.8+
    FEB 18 - 426.4
    FEB 21 - 425.8
    FEB 22 - 425.6       -50 lbs
    FEB 29 - 424.0       

MAR 02 - 423.0
    MAR 03 - 420.0
    MAR 05 - 419.2
    MAR 09 - 417.8
    MAR 11 - 416.8
    MAR 14 - 415.2    -60 lbs
    MAR 16 - 412.6
    MAR 22 - 409.8
    MAR 30 - 411.8+

APR 02 - 409.8
    APR 03 - 406.6
    APR 04 - 405.8     -70 lbs
    APR 12 - 403.2
    APR 18 - 402.8
    APR 20 - 401.0
    APR 22 - 398.4     OUT OF THE 400s!!
    APR 24 - 397.8
    APR 25 - 396.4

I measure on the last day of the month.  Here are the results of my last three measure-ins.

Feb 29th (Leap Day!):
    Chest 55"
    Bust   61"
    Waist 58"
    Hips  73"

March 31st:
    Chest 49"
    Bust  60"
    Waist 51.5"
    Hips 71"

Today, April 30th:
    Chest 49"
    Bust 57"
    Waist 48.5"
    Hips 69

And .... Here I am yesterday afternoon @ 396
    9021.jpg

Most of my weight is situated around belly, waist, hips, and thighs.  I'm definitely a pear.  Fortunately, though, this is where I lose weight easiest and soonest.  I have been told that I "carry it well" when it comes to my weight.  I really don't want to carry excess weight "well," I don't want to carry it at all!

About my food and eating:
    When I first started I was on Weight Watchers' PointsPlus plan. It was an excellent tool to help me get a handle on my binge eating and bring the focus back to myself. Counting points was a catalyst that helped me want more for myself. I eventually weaned myself to Weight Watchers' Simply Filling plan, where you don't count points but eat what you need from a set list. On the SF plan, you give your body more autonomy by learning to listen to its cues for hunger. I was very familiar with Intuitive Eating and how it's a model to help people with eating disorders – SF is Weight Watchers' approach to that. This was good for me, but I still needed to be set free from the notion that some foods are “good” or “bad” and do away with the list of foods. I needed to heal me and my relationship with food. I have since weaned myself off Weight Watchers and I am completely to the mercy of my body. I listen to hunger cues and feed myself accordingly. I have learned that I get hungry 4 times per day and I am satisfied with anywhere between 300-400 calories per meal, which ends up being 1200-1600 calories per day. I have also learned that it is good for me to honor my body by satisfying cravings – If I don't eat what I crave, then it's possible that I will end up eating more of what I don't want and pack on unnecessary calories that could have been avoided if I had just eaten what I craved in the first place. I have had cholesterol and heart issues in my family so I have cut out red meat and eat (mostly) non fat dairy and egg whites only. I don't believe there are any good or bad foods if you don't have any dietary issues with them, and that you should have what you want in moderation. I eat carbs, I eat sugar in the form of fruit, I eat some high fat cheeses. I don't eat red meat, poultry, or fried foods. I eat fish, a TON of veggies, beans, fruit, and lots of water.
    About my fitness:
    I've never been militant about my exercise. I started with a gentle walking program. It was so hard for me because just standing hurt so bad - my back, hips, and knees were screaming. I gradually increased my endurance and now I walk 10K steps per day (Love my Fitbit!). On my 37th birthday in February, I bought a bicycle and I ride it everywhere, every day -- to work, to the store, or just around the neighborhood and beyond. I have found tremendous joy in being on my bike and riding is something I have wanted to do for the past 20 years but I was always so scared and had a serious case of Fat Person On A Bike syndrome. Now, I don't even care who laughs – I am free on my bike. I do structured exercise for an hour about 2 times a week – either Zumba or some other form of aerobics. I do train with resistance tubes 3X a week and I just started Kettlebell workouts.
    Gotta say that it feels good to come out from behind the curtain and to post actual numbers! Thanks, Fitness Pals!

I don't know how to shrink the ginormous pic at the top but oh well. It's pretty telling, anyway. :-)
  • sam2674
    sam2674 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You're an inspiration!
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Amazing work. You are beautiful. Keep up the Great work!!!!!!!!
  • Kalebs8mom
    Options
    Great job!!!! Awesome!!!!! You are looking good and so happy!!!! So proud of you and look forward to more to come!!!!! Keep up the wonderful work!
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    You are doing an amazing job! So glad that you found a balance between diet and exercise that works for you. Congrats!
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Congrats for a job well done!! How inspiring!! Good luck with your continued weight loss! :flowerforyou:
  • bucketzofcrazy
    bucketzofcrazy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great job, you looking amazing, keep up the fantastic work!
  • Liv829
    Liv829 Posts: 160
    Options
    This is completely awesome! You have come a long way and look great- and sounds like you feel great. Keep it up and thanks for being such an inspiration for weight loss goals, and also outlook on life!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I love your attitude :)
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!!! Keep up the GREAT work! I am cheering you on!
  • cjwalker81
    cjwalker81 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What an awesome story! I don't know you but I must say I am very proud of you!!! What an awesome achievement!!! Keep it up!!
  • jheartj95
    jheartj95 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You look terrific!! Great job:)
  • 25daniow
    25daniow Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your story! You're doing amazing. Here's to your next 79:) Obviously...you will do great! Best wishes:smile:
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Congratulations...you look fantastic! Your dedication is inspiring. Keep up the GREAT work :wink:
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Amazing journey thus far...you look so much happier and healthier. Keep up the great attitude, and you're going to keep achieving great success!
  • josol1971
    josol1971 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! You look great and have done an amazing job thus far. Keep up the good fight, cuz you're winning!
  • alaskagrly
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration.......we are on this journey and sharing with each other is really motivating! You are a beautiful woman! A
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your journey!!! Amazing results so far. Keep it up!
  • SwtMelissa86
    Options
    great job! You look awesome
  • mimiislosingit
    mimiislosingit Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story!! What an inspiration you are!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!