Carbs are making you fat

Options

Replies

• DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congrats everyone! We have become the #1 search that comes up when you google "carbs are making you fat". Mission accomplished.

Now what other subject can I cause an uproar.....?

How about eating back your calories...
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Go PRIMAL (caveman style). Meats, healthy fats (coconut oil rules!) and lots and lots of veggies. Cavemen didn't have grains to eat!

YES! I was hoping someone would say this! *Grabs spear* Who's with me?!?

Cavemen had coconut oil?

My anthropologist friend just shakes her head and laughs when she hears about these sort of diets.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I dont think the truth will ever be allowed out. Too many big industries (i.e. flour, sugar, pharmaceutical, supermarkets) are making too much money from the present "so called" healthy eating regime. No one can touch it. Whatever you believe, you should ask the question, why is obesity, heart disease and diabetes on the increase in such a huge scale?

What "truth" do you think will never be allowed out?
    You just posted an article from a national news network.
    Taubes wrote a popular book about the same subject.
    Medical recommendations have been telling us for decades that refined carbs are bad.
    The Harvard School of Public Health is well known for it's open criticism of the USDA recommendations.
    The Glycemic Index is well known.
    The Sount Beach Diet is touted by numerous celebrities.
    The Adkins Diet has been around since the 70's

Where do you see a cover up????
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Lots of people saying "Unprocessed carbs good. Processed carbs bad". There is no difference, so long as you're comparing sucrose to sucrose, fructose to fructose, etc.

Now, processed foods typically have fewer vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. But vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients are not carbs. What you're really saying is, "Getting all your vitamins is better than not getting all your vitamins." Duh.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Go PRIMAL (caveman style). Meats, healthy fats (coconut oil rules!) and lots and lots of veggies. Cavemen didn't have grains to eat!

YES! I was hoping someone would say this! *Grabs spear* Who's with me?!?

Cavemen had coconut oil?

My anthropologist friend just shakes her head and laughs when she hears about these sort of diets.

I'm betting they didn't buy their meat in grocery stores, either, or cook it.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Congrats everyone! We have become the #1 search that comes up when you google "carbs are making you fat". Mission accomplished.

congrats-youve-earned-a-troll-coin-thumb.jpg
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

I see you cannot see sarcasm clearly. Probably the reason why you go to threads you do not agree with and try to insult people. Get a life.

Hurry, post something else quickly so you can get to 5,000 posts. What a joke.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

I see you cannot see sarcasm clearly. Probably the reason why you go to threads you do not agree with and try to insult people. Get a life.

Somebody's cranky today... do you need a cookie?

ecbdc678-4fad-49f1-8ce6-2b164c061e37.jpg
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

LOL that you told someone else to get a life.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

LMAO Priceless!
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Haven't you been reading this thread?! A COOKIE IS FULL OF CARBS!!!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Haven't you been reading this thread?! A COOKIE IS FULL OF CARBS!!!!

Hence the "cookie" comment :wink:

But, I clearly have no sense of humor... no no no no....
  • MacroTester
    Options
    And I was looking forward to eating some processed PopTarts after my weight routines. Dangit!
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    well "bad" carbs made me diabetic. Getting rid of them got rid of the type 2 diabetes. It was cutting out all processed foods, sugar and starchy carbs such as white pasta, rice and bread (except for whole grains).

And NO it wasn't losing the weight that got rid of my diabetes. I weighed the same and less previously and was STILL a diabetic. I was borderline over 30 pounds lighter than I am now. It was only when I made those changes that I got everything under control. Off meds my A1c is smack in the middle of normal.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    well "bad" carbs made me diabetic. Getting rid of them got rid of the type 2 diabetes. It was cutting out all processed foods, sugar and starchy carbs such as white pasta, rice and bread (except for whole grains).

And NO it wasn't losing the weight that got rid of my diabetes. I weighed the same and less previously and was STILL a diabetic. I was borderline over 30 pounds lighter than I am now. It was only when I made those changes that I got everything under control. Off meds my A1c is smack in the middle of normal.

A health condition makes a difference in how the body reacts. We're speaking here of otherwise healthy people.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Whatever you believe, you should ask the question, why is obesity, heart disease and diabetes on the increase in such a huge scale?

In part, because we've had a lot of major technological advancements in the past 100 years or so that make society a buttload more sedentary than we used to be.

Thinking back to my parents' childhood... there weren't multi-car families - just one car was a luxury - and kids walked everywhere. They had ringer washers. Rugs were taken outside and beaten, not vacuumed. They didn't come home and veg in front of the tv or computer. They raised their own food, and I know my mom was happy when her father went hunting or fishing for something for dinner, because that meant she wouldn't have to hold the beak while one of their chickens got the ax.

It's just a lot easier to be fat now than it was then.

Exactly!

As a child I had to take care of the feeding, watering, & cleaning up after horses, chickens, dogs. Had to weed the vegetable garden & helped plant it as well as making the rows in the first place, gather eggs, help in the kitchen, & help with cleaning the house. All on top of helping in my parents restaurant & going to school!

Now, I just have to cook, clean, & a little bit of gardening every day. Not nearly as labor intensive now as things were when I was a kid. Also, I got in the habit of eating processed food out of convenience whereas as a child it was not allowed. Consequently, I'm now fat & working to become healthy again.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Let's see:

Zyzz ate carbs

Zyzz also died of a (I believe?) heart attack at 22 and was a heavy ecstasy user and steroid abuser! MDMA suppresses appetite like no other so obviously he would have little fat!

U mirin? Haha I had to...
    RIP Zyzz "He died for our gains"

He actually died from an undiagnosed congential (sp?) heart defect...how sad. He was gorgeous.

Mixed with a heavy cycle of clenbuterol amongst other things.
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that anyone still believes that any one single type of food "makes you fat". What makes you fat is eating too much and not moving. It cannot be argued that eating too many calories and not burning enough calories makes you fat. Wanting to single out one particular food group or type is looking for the magic bullet cure to obesity and there really is none. It really is as simple as calories in calories out. Our bodies are machines fueled by food and once you get your body to be an efficient fuel burning machine you can eat pretty much anything you want. But . . . you have to burn the fuel efficiently. I eat all sorts of carbs, mostly the complex type, but sometimes the really fun stuff too (a piece of birthday cake, a cookie, some chips, etc.). I am not fat and, in fact, I am very lean. But I've figured out the optimal amount of exercise and calories that keeps me that way.

Think about why there were very few fat pioneers back in the pioneer days. It's because they worked the fields, plowing and harvesting, had to wash their clothes at the river, carry heavy things back and forth all day, didn't have television and had to play outside as children. Granted they also did not have fast food, but I can guarantee they ate carbs - bread, potatoes, vegetables, etc. They were not fat because they burned off what they ate. Plain and simple.

Carbs don't make you fat. Period.

P.S. I'd like to add that I eat, on a regular basis, granola bars, oatmeal, whole grain bread, brown rice, quinoa, couscous, whole grain crackers, Clif bars, Poptarts when I cycle, and from time to time Doritos (because I just plain love them). Any food is fine to eat in moderation.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    interesting
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. The reason why people avoid carbs is because they tend to be higher in calories. It's all about choices and meeting your calorie goal. The human brain can not think with out carbs. Our body needs them for energy. I just try to make them good carbs that are high in fiber.
This discussion has been closed.