WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2012

Options

Replies

• beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have a 21 day challenge at work, we were given pedometers and who ever averages the most steps per day will win some prizes. So I have been getting in 8,000 to 11,000 steps per day. Boy that helps the calorie burn.

Grandkids on the weekend helped me to get lots of steps in.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here eating my huge spinach salad with grilled chicken and reading today's posts.

Amanda – Love the dress! Sorry about the hail and rainy weather. Bad weather sure can effect a persons mood.

Michele – To view all of a persons posts you go to their profile page, go down to where you see the header “My Recent Forum Posts” and to the right of that you will see “view all” click that and all of that persons posts will show.

So sorry you lost your flight money!

Sally – Sorry to hear you are in a funk. Changing things up sounds like a good plan; maybe find a new exercise?

Robin – Olivia just makes me smile. Those cheeks are adorable!

Jane – Hope the knee is better tomorrow.

Nancy – Wow! Still in your boot and finding a way to make exercise work for you. Now that's dedication.

Kat – A loose size 6? That's terrific!

Kackie – Glad the trip worked out and DH didn't aggravate his back too much.

Fitz – I love to fish too. Did you catch anything? Hope you get your back problem resolved tomorrow.

Well, I have used enough space, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Faye
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Had a 12 mile bike ride (In the basement, lol) yesterday and today did kettleworx and upper body weights with 8 & 10 lb weights..those farm girl arms are coming back...the scale actually moved in the right direction today, we will see if it stays /continues.
    Nancy -you seem to be doing extremely well with your recovery..keep up the good work, and keep folllowing the docs orders.
    Amanda - hope the ibs gets better soon..your dress is amazing
    Have a good night all
    :heart:
    Jen
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Looks like I'm going to be swamped for the next several weeks taking care of stuff around here! I don't seem to be able to find time to sit and write much these days with gardening and taking care of my home & fam of hubby and dogs, and going to work. Hubby still hasn't found a job. I'm worried sick. :sad:
    Keeping up with SWSY exercises twice a week, but haven't been walking or jogging as much as I would like. Too busy planting and keeping everything watered! Love it though, nice warm sunshine, shorts and sandals, fellow gardeners who haven't seen me since last summer calling me "Skinny". :wink:
    Scale down a pound since I started cutting down on carbs last Sunday. I think this is gonna work. :bigsmile:
    I'll check in when I can. Take good care everyone! :drinker:
    xo jb
  • Lynn0713
    Lynn0713 Posts: 27
    Options
    Wow what a great group this is I can't even imagine wearing a six let a lone it be to big. What an accomplishment. I am going to try to start responding to each one but haven't had time or energy but I am reading and praying for those that have needs. I did a hula hoop class tonight it was just thirty minutes but I burnt 176 calories plus it was fun.Then did a pilates class now I am tired wathcing DWTS while reading and now posting. Have a great night .:bigsmile:
  • wendypi
    wendypi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I am slowly whittling away at my fat. Walking at least an hour everyday and doing my best at keeping track of my food and eating healthy. This is a new beginning for me as I have moved away from my girls to be closer to work. I haven't connected with anyone to form a support group here as yet.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Amanda,love the dress .Must make you feel good to have it too big.
    Good night all!
    HUGS
    jane
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Hello from a virtual stranger.

I have not done well with eating for the last month (or more). I want so much to be able to maintain without weighing, measuring, logging, etc. For now, that isn't working. So I'm back to MFP and the activities that helped me lose weight in the first place. I'm feeling fairly yucky about myself and fat. Pretty much nothing fits that I was wearing a month or so ago. Urgh. That will change as I get back on track. I'm going to limit my visits away from home more. That will help. I can cope well with a couple of days away from home. Beyond that I'm in trouble.

BTW, I've made my diary private as I want to be honest with what I'm eating and not feel embarrassed when I blow it. Today was actually a pretty good eating day but went slightly over on calories. The part I did like was eating lots of good fruits and veggies for a change (especially the veggies!)

So, can I come back, please? :tongue:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,971 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I am slowly whittling away at my fat. Walking at least an hour everyday and doing my best at keeping track of my food and eating healthy. This is a new beginning for me as I have moved away from my girls to be closer to work. I haven't connected with anyone to form a support group here as yet.
    :bigsmile: You have just connected with the best support group on the planet.......just jump right in and tell us what's on your mind or comment on what someone else said or ask a question and before you know it, you'll be part of the family.

:bigsmile: Amanda, your dress is fabulous and you look fabulous in it.

:bigsmile: Mimi, welcome home.....you are not the first of us to try to get along without all the good habits that served us so well.....my best friend (who has weighed 110 for the 20+ years I've known her) frequently asks me if I'm always going to count every calorie I put into my mouth and I tell her "if it works,don't fix it".:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Recently I had to ban several more foods from my house because I am unable to eat them in moderation

:bigsmile: Now that we have some good weather and I can work in the yard, I have very little time for the computer......in my years on MFP, I've noticed that the posting slows down when the weather gets good.

:flowerforyou: Now I'm going to watch DWTS and hope that my two favorites haven't gotten voted off

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Hello from a virtual stranger.

I have not done well with eating for the last month (or more). I want so much to be able to maintain without weighing, measuring, logging, etc. For now, that isn't working. So I'm back to MFP and the activities that helped me lose weight in the first place.So, can I come back, please? :tongue:

Ditto, from another. Even 6 hrs line dancing at workshop last weekend was not enough to burn off all the bad choices.

Yesterday morning the wii registered almost to the $#@*($& obese line. What a wakeup call! Swore never to go there again. SO, back to the veggies and protein. . . and move Move MOVE!

Hugs to all,
    Barbara
  • kateblue72
    kateblue72 Posts: 113
    Options
    Well, logged my 'exercise' today as gardening ... but really I was painting our new reno laundry/bathroom. Could't find painting as an exercise, but with all the bending, reaching, climbing ladders etc ... seemed close enough to gardening!! I was even sweating - not sure if it was the extra spotlights I had up, or that I was trying to 'beat' my time from yesterday. Managed to do coat #2 in almost an hour less:smile: . Good to read about so many interesting people and events on this site. Keep up the good work all!
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    :happy: Good Morning to all ! :flowerforyou:

I will try and get back later , just wanted to say Hello and let you all know I am thinking of you!
    Have a wonderful day!

Rachel:smile:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Mimi. I have struggled too. I am finally back to my starting weight this morning. and now I am striving towards my last weigh in that I did back in October. It is just so hard.

I finally have another job interview on Monday. So please wish me luck!

I have been acheiving over 10,000 steps aday for about a week now and I am happy with the way I am starting to feel again. I am still eating well and the tracking it again is helping. Its hard to believe that 2 years ago I was down 25 pounds from where I am now but I will get there again.

Have an absolutely awesome day ladies!

Robin, Bodi boy and Ritter Bit
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Well here we are again:

Report on the Creston Valley from my window: light overcast, snow topped mountains make a lacy edge along the horizon, horse chestnut and magnolia in full bloom, lavender and rosemary looking great, fountain bubbling and DH must mow the lawn after work today (his least favorite chore and I can’t help :laugh: ).

Got to the gym again yesterday and did a workout focusing on legs – using the machines instead of free weights again. The “krank” machine is as good as it gets for aerobics these days but, dang, it’s boring. :ohwell: Not even an electronic display to show me how fast, how far or how long I’ve been at it. I have to put my iPod on a podcast I know is ½ an hour long and grind away. The only thing that saves me is the “calories burned” read-out on my HRM. I used those calories on a mango protein shake when I got home. The mango was frozen and it turned out like mango gelato. Yummy!

Amanda, I am so glad you posted the big photo. It’s fun to “see” you. The dress is gorgeous – and so are you! :flowerforyou: There’s not much a person can do about it, but I do hope the sun comes out soon for you. What’s with the “Oh, to be in England now that April (or May) is here” and all that?

Sally CC – whine away. :grumble: It helps to lighten the blues.

Yes, Michelle, the NASCAR party was mostly grilled foods & salads – things you’d find at a tail-gate picnic.

Beth40n2 – Aren’t pedometers fun? I find tracking my workouts, etc. very motivating. It was a pedometer and a school district challenge that got me started on my “journey to fitness”.

JB I am sorry to read that you’re worried about your Hubby’s job search. Hang in there. What fun to get compliments from your fellow gardeners “skinny”! :drinker:

Welcome back, mimi7grands. You know how to do it!

Kateblue72, you are the first person I know of who makes house painting into a competitive sport. :bigsmile: Well done!

Plan what you eat and eat what you plan! Salad Sista's what's on the menu for lunch?

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

I'm sorry I can't comment on everyone else's posts, but I do try to read them. I am sitting here one miserable pound away from my goal weight of 138. I have been within .6 lbs. of reaching it, but it seems elusive. Usually when I get this close, my body starts resisting and my appetite kicks into high gear. I don't know why I can't seem to get motivated to race toward the finish line. I guess I feel as though I will get there eventually, and I just need to be patient. But on the other hand, it is extremely frustrating!

I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening....:smile:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all the moms here.

I am enjoying doing Tai Chi in the mornings. All I really get to do is the warm up, but it still feels good and is making me notice how much I hunch up my shoulders.

Good luck making good choices today.

Jeannie
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Mimi - Welcome back! Of course we want you back!

Michele - A quicker way to see all of someone's posts is just to click on the # under their profile picture where it says how many posts they have made.

Back to work - will this school year ever end?? Last day for my seniors is today though. Have a great Wednesday! Mary
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Wednesday All!

Nancy- muffins sound yummy:tongue: and what a great workout you had. Oh I do love my Kitchen Aid...years ago my Mom told me I would inherit her's but by the time that would have happened my hubby had already bought me one so our #1 Son & DIL inherited my Mom's. One of the things I love to use with mine is the ice cream maker & the meat grinder:love:

Michele- :cry: sorry you are losing your money on the flight that's not going to happen. You sure do know how to mix up your exercise, I'm sure one of my problems is that I don't mix mine up enough:grumble: but maybe when I have more time I'll be able to do that.

Kat- Let me know when you have watched Survivor, we were able to watch it Monday night:wink: Living in Palm Springs I understand not buying long pants...it gets very warm there in the summe:glasses: r as I remember (I was born in LA, yes the actual city, and raised in So Cal)

Rachel- walking on your lunch hour...it's warm enough here that I should do that today too...and Peanut would love it if I would sooo that's probably something I will do today too:smile:

Jane- hoping the adjusting of your meds takes care of the fatigue:flowerforyou:

SkinnyPenny- Congrats on the loss:drinker:

Amanda- I love the dress:love: and you are looking GREAT too. Sorry about your lack of sun...but I'm sure it's right around the corner:wink:

Meidson- I'm sure with your diligance a loss will come up soon.:drinker:

Sally- I have heard that when you shake things up losses occur, they haven't worked for me:ohwell: , but I know that they have worked for others, hope it works for you:drinker:

Alwaysnancy- you do boot camp:noway: I am impressed.

lexidell-:flowerforyou: welcome back from vacation and best wishes to a successful May:drinker:

beth40- sounds like you are well on your way to a win with all those steps:drinker:

Jen- hope your loss sticks too:drinker:

jb aka "skinny"- how fun is that when people that haven't seen you in awhile notice all your hard work paying off:flowerforyou: I sooo understand hubby not having a job (see my note below):flowerforyou:

Mimi- :flowerforyou: welcome back:flowerforyou: I so understand what you are going through. I just wish I had returned to MFP sooner...if I'd only had my wake up call after one month I wouldn't be still needing to lose so much....but glad you are here and you HAVE BEEN MISSED:flowerforyou:

Barbara-:sad: sorry that you too are revisiting a place you never thought you'd have to go to again:sad:

Robin- prayers for your job interview:flowerforyou:

Celticmuse- don't lose heart...that .6 will go...they just get so stubborn that close to the goal:drinker:

After hubbys phone interview yesterday the recruiter called back and said the company wants him to come in today for about 3.5 hrs of interviews with multiple people. It's so hard NOT to get the hopes up:huh: , this job is just a perfect fit for him:love: and close to home( about a 5-7minute commute)...so hoping and praying a lot today:happy:

When I came back after my failure (May - Dec 2011)at maintenance this past January, I was so thinking that not many people do that...well it looks like I am in good company, Barbara & Mimi let's hope we finally learn how to do this "lifestyle change". I'm sure that Barbie is our one to look at for long success:love: because it looks like she has found that MFP is what it takes. So here's to our future success:drinker: :drinker:

Well I'm still fighting off the wine I drank last weekend, you'd think I'd learn :grumble: I can have no more than 1 glass every three weeks if I want to continue to see progress witht the scale. Well last weekend was three days of celebrating...it's over and now back to what I know works...logging, drinking WATER:drinker: and exercise....let's all do it together today:flowerforyou:

Laura80111:smile:
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Faye—Thanks for the encouragement. I do think switching up exercise would be good. My knees and hip were really unhappy last week and I still feel something going on. I am still going to move because I know that not moving will only compound the problem! By the way…your lunch (spinach salad with grilled chicken sounds great!)
    Jen..sounds like you had a good workout and glad the scale is going in the direction you want!
    JB…..good for you with the gardeners comment! I hope all goes well and you get to come back here when you can!
    Lynn….two exercises classes back to back..that is great.
    Amanda..wonderful dress…great story.
    Mimi….great to have you back on this board!! I think it’s great that your back. I know that in my history, sometimes it is years before I get that switched turned “ON” again…so good for you for recognizing the need to get your healthy habits back.
    Barbie…I understand that part of banning some foods while struggling with moderation. It definitely helps to not have things in the house that are real problems.
    Robin… you will get there again. I know that I keep telling myself that. I get so frustrated by my SLOW progress but I know that reading your posts along with the others here help me to get back on track when I need it. Hang in there!!
    Nancy….thank you for the permission to whine…and the best part is there were no crackers and cheese with that whine last night!!
    Celticmuse….Vent away. I needed that yesterday and today I feel a lot better. I seem to do that stall thing every decade of pounds. Sometimes I feel like I am setting myself up and there are times I feel like my body is just hanging on to stay at the higher weight. It’s tough …hang in there!
    Mary…hope the end of the school year is smooth for you. I have been retired from teaching for 7 years now (I can’t believe it), but I work three jobs. I know how much stress there is at the end of the year..hang in there!
    Laura…I hope you and your husband got good news about the jobs. Interviews are just unreal and the decision making is rough. Good luck.

I have had a good day. I am going to tutor a great student in a few minutes and then my husband and I are going to a dinner to reward him for being in his job for over 10 years. I am so happy that he is getting recognized---he truly deserves it. He is a janitor in a nursing home and he is the kindest person I know. As a teacher, I remember that many people just write off the janitor in the building. I hope the night goes well. The NSV of this night is that I am wearing a size 14 dress and I haven’t been there in a long time…..its in the right direction—I need to remember that when I get down!

Have a great day!
    Sally CC
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday, Dear Ladies:flowerforyou:

Mary: (SVQ)...You are ALWAYS welcome here and try not to fret about the "past". I understand your need to keep your diary private too... Being honest with ourselves is the most important thing and the key to success long term, I think. So you are here and I am happy to see you!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

jb: I am sorry about your anxiety regarding DH's job situation. I know that must be tough. Congrats on the "skinny" comments! THAT must feel good:flowerforyou:

Laura: Fingers crossed for your DH!!!!!!!

Robin: Good luck on the job interview...I'll be thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way:flowerforyou:

Kat: A LOOSE size 6!!??? That is awesome and must feel wonderful. I am 5'8" and even during my skinny, younger years I couldn't wear a size 6, I don't think!!! WTG!:flowerforyou:

Michelle: I am so sorry about your trip:-(

Sally: Hope the funk leaves you soon. And good luck shaking things up. I found that joining a "challenge" has helped me get some definition in some places I haven't had before...even if my scale hasn't moved much:ohwell:

Kate: I am SURE that the painting was at least what gardening would be. Isn't painting so rewarding...when it is ALL done and fresh?

Auntie BK (Barbara): we must have been typing at the same time. LOVE seeing you here too! I miss your posts when you are not:flowerforyou:

Speaking of scales...mine finally was down today and I am hoping it will actually STAY down for more than a day or 2:grumble: I'm trying to be extra vigilant so that it WILL! Here's hoping:tongue::tongue:

We go out of town again this weekend to visit 2 couple friends at their beach house about a 3 hour drive. Hopefully, DH will handle this trip well too. The 2 guys are 2 of his very best friends so it will be great therapy. We have said we are not going to leave the house...except for walks...so it should be restful. I will sit on the porch and paint my heart out. I haven't gotten my brushes out in WAY too long, so can't wait!

Better go get some exercise in...I had a dental appointment early today so didn't get it done first thing like usual. Much harder to do late in the day:grumble:
    :heart: Kackie