WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2012

Options

Replies

• LuckyCheryl
    LuckyCheryl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Wow, I have caught up on posts and have now figured out that I must log in more often. So many names, places and things going on with everyone.

Inspiration is available during every post.

Did not have such a great day. It started out good (got a one hour walk in with the dog) but my eating was kind of out of control as my husband took me out and then I stopped at my moms and she had just made cookies.:smile: hard to resist!

Getting up tomorrow and heading to the Y for a much needed long workout. Eliptical, free weights, and then a swim. Gonna finish it off with a good sauna/hottub!!

Keep up the good work and for all the newbies like me, keep returning to this site often as it has lots of good things to learn and try!

Cheryl :smile:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Had a great time at my grand daughter`s 4th pirate b/day.Got some exercise,watched what I ate.Am exhausted.
    Will catch up later.
    welcome new people,this is an awesome group.
    Hope everyone is doing good.
    HUGS
    jane
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    fitz - we play American mahjongg. I don't know of any computer games for it, do you? I'd love to play on the computer!

cathe - welcome and please tell us more about yourself. Where is Skye? To be honest, I've never heard of it. Then again, I'd never heard of the Island of Reunion until ds taught there!

realpure - happy anniversary. 15 years!

Laura - is a lettuce bun a bun but instead of bread you use lettuce? There aren't any RR's around here, but I wonder if I can do that at some other places (like Longhorn)? Do you specifically have to ask that the burger be put on lettuce rather than a bun?

Started out the day by going to the farmer's market. Last week this one man has such wonderful strawberries, I got 5 more boxes from him. Yes, it cost me $20, but it's certainly worth it! When I got home from all my other running around, I cut them up and am freezing them. After the farmer's market, went to yoga, then stopped at one store to see if they had an item (which they didn't, I somehow didn't think they would because I asked at another store in the chain and they told me that right before I asked for it, they sold completely out. I suspected that the person probably went to all the stores and bought this item out), then stopped at my church because they were having a yard sale. Truthfully, I thought it would be larger, and I really only was looking for a card table (which they didn't have), then took batteries and electronics to a recycling dropoff, then home to cut up those strawberries, started packing (started), watched a bit of TV, then church, then dinner and logged my food. I'm a bit over today, but some days I don't go over so it all evens out in the end.

Tomorrow I'll do a pilates DVD.

ccarrico - congrats on the weight loss! Someone at the farmer's market was talking to me about eating foods compatible with your blood type. I do love my fruits and veges and I am a type A, but I don't know if I completely agree with this. I just let her talk.

danasue - welcome! I need to exercise first thing in the morning or else I know it won't get done. I also know that when I exercise, I feel so much better.

Oh Nancy - how wonderful that you left the house! I know that made you feel so much better. I bought some asparagus the other day, mainly because it was on sale. I'm not real crazy about it frozen, tho. To me, it gets too mushy. I'm going to have to finish it up, tho, before we leave. I got some mushrooms a few weeks ago that were on sale, cut them up, roasted them, and then froze them. Not bad frozen. Any suggestions as to sites to see, and more improtantly, any suggestions as to food to eat when in Rome? I'm not crazy about things deep fried, and I read in Rick Steve's book it looks like a lot of their food is fried. At first we were going to go to Venice, which was fine as far as I was concerned because fish is a biggie with them. But it was way too expensive (we're putting in a pool this year) so we'll go to Rome since you can get some sort of package. Anyway, I do want to try foods particular to the area, I'm sure they'll be so different from what we get in the States. I remember trying this lemon cookie in France last year. Was it ever lemon-ey. But then I realized that they used real lemons not the reconstituted stuff. And the bagels! AHHHHHH Now to experience the foods of Italy, any suggestions?

Stephanie - don't worry about HOW to jump in, as Nike says "just do it". Welcome to a great bunch of ladies.

alwaysnancy - I'm sorry for you about your daughter. I understand. My mother was a heavy smoker. She died when I was 9. Being with her so sick for so long, my mind associated smoking with death. Of course, this was before the Cancer Society confirmed that. To this day, I don't smoke. Yet, my youngest dd does. It breaks my heart because I can just remember how sick my mother was

Kat -woohoo on the size 6

barbie - you're right, doing different DVD's with different instructors is sometimes difficult. People call things differently. But on the other hand, I don't want to get bored and not want to exercise, so it's really a trade-off.

Jane - so glad you had such a good time at the party. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Michele & Barbie - I too could care less about how many days MFP shows me logged in. What is a bit frustrating is it showing me missing entirely! :ohwell: People occasionally send me encouraging notes to come back and so does MFP, when in fact I am here. I tried Barbies suggestion and turned off the “days logged in counter” but I still show as MIA. (I didn't know you could turn off the counter either) According to MFP, I have not logged in for 6 days now. :huh:

Maybe there is something else I need to tweak or turn off, but I have no idea what it might be. It's not worth any more bother, but it is rather odd...

Kathy – Well, if it's any consolation, when you are eating fresh tomatoes, I will be eating ones shipped in. :wink:

Nancy – Glad you will soon be in your “robo boot”. I had good luck with one when I badly injured my foot a few years ago. The minute I was finally fitted for one, I felt so much better!

I was at an art fair in a near-by town today and had a great time. Got a couple Christmas presents and a picture for me that I fell in love with. It was a fun day. :happy: Unfortunately, I have no idea how to log my lunch, so I will just add some “quick calories” and hope I get it close.

Tomorrow I get eggplant from my garden for dinner. :bigsmile:

Faye
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    Michele & Barbie - I too could care less about how many days MFP shows me logged in. What is a bit frustrating is it showing me missing entirely! :ohwell: People occasionally send me encouraging notes to come back and so does MFP, when in fact I am here. I tried Barbies suggestion and turned off the “days logged in counter” but I still show as MIA. (I didn't know you could turn off the counter either) According to MFP, I have not logged in for 6 days now. :huh:

Maybe there is something else I need to tweak or turn off, but I have no idea what it might be. It's not worth any more bother, but it is rather odd...

Faye

Faye, if you go to the settings section on the home page you can shut off the notifications when you don't log in for a few days.....there is a whole list of notifications that you can check or not check....I shut off most of mine.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    Just joined, so goals are a bit shakey now.
    I did the the other May challenge to work out 45 minutes per day for the Month of may.
    Add to the logging foods and exercise in MFP
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    hello Ladies ! I just wanted to say hi and let you all that I am thinking of you!:happy:
    To day was so busy, got up early to take my granddaughter to help set up for the garage they had today at the church, the at noon I took her to her Aunts house to have her hair done and then I went back to the garage to help them take it down around 3:00PM. Then drove home to clean up and drive over to my daughters house to take prom photo of my granddaughter , she is so pretty and then came home , DH had dinner done. Thank God he likes to cook!!:heart:

My sister in law and I worked out to a new DVD I bought called Walk the Walk by Leslie Sansone, it to firm and tone the body and soul. it is set to christian music, I like it.

I am really beat so I will say good night and try to read all the post tomorrow ! Hope you are all having a great night to!
  • 1lindachristine
    1lindachristine Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would like to join the 50+ women and set my personal goals for May 2012.
    1) Log in daily
    2) Drink required water for the day
    3) Walk 6 days a week for 20minutes

BTW what does BUMP stand for?

Linda
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Cath - I knew that the Isle of Skye was in Scotland, but just googled pictures to see what it looked like. Oh my, is it ever gorgeous!

Good night all! Mary
  • 1lindachristine
    1lindachristine Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Maurap,
    You and I have similar goals for May. Best of luck to you.

Linda
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday, dear Ladies :happy:

Robin, How are the dogs after their adventure with the blue toilet water?

Mary, Mary, suffering tongue lashings from adolescent boys! :noway: And you’re not their mother! May you have the patience of Job and the compassion of St. Francis!

I dared to look at J’boy when we passed in the kitchen this morning but I did not speak and neither did he. This I count as a victory on my part because my instinct is to say something remarkably bright and witty, which elicits a growl from him, whereupon my feelings are hurt and thus begins the day. Instead we have begun in a companionable, if grumpy, silence.

Robin, your sign from the wine shop made me laugh out loud! :laugh:

Friday night, even when I’m not working, turns into wine & pizza night. Last night was fun. I used to order 3 small pizzas (one each!). Now I order two and take one piece from each (my pizza tax) before handing them over to DH and J’boy. DH and I shared our pizza and wine, worked on a crossword puzzle and watched TV. :heart: Now, that may not sound like a wild night on the town to many of you, but it worked for me!

And, and, …. Wait for it…I left the house! :happy: For the first time in three weeks! DH doesn’t work Fridays, so he loaded the wheelchair into the truck and we went grocery shopping. Wowzer! It’s just three more days until I go back to the city for my post-op appointment and robo-boot. The robo-boot is like a walking cast, I’ll be able to get around a lot more.

Terri, you are going to “release 8 lbs”. What a great expression. Set those babies free! :drinker:

Jen! Your stove blew up? Yikes. :noway: The brown rice and veg salad sounds yummy. I just might give it a try. Throw the combo on some spring greens and you have a grand Salad Sista’s lunch.

I appreciate what you said about “stepping of the wagon” as apposed to “falling off the wagon”. It’s about taking control, and responsibility, for our actions. On the flip side, one must not get bogged down in regrets or guilt for past actions. Do what needs to be done and get that wagon moving! (Says I, who chose to drink way over the calorie limit in wine last night!)

Barbie, I love the mental image of belly-dancing grannies. :happy: I can’t wait until I can walk again. I have not been in the habit of taking Buster-the-Poodle for early morning walks but it sounds very appealing as the weather gets nicer.

Michelle, don’t you just love asparagus season? :heart: It’s quite a big commercial crop in the valley here, so once it’s warm enough we get it straight from the farmer’s gate. The first famer’s market of the season is today, so I am going to send DH over to look for some. You’re going to France? Ah, mon Dieu. And Rome? Dio mio.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement about surviving J’Boy’s moods. I must admit, my DH was worse. :angry: She’s 25 now and quite a sweetheart. I don’t see her often but we text most days. Our children were born 11 years apart. Just when I recover from what one of them put me through (adolescent angst in this case) the next one starts up! :noway:

Amanda, Tosca is our favorite too. We saw it at the Opera House in Rome on our 20th wedding anniversary and again a few years later with J’boy, performed “open air” in the churchyard at San Clemente (also in Rome). When we went to Castel St. Angelo the next day we all stood on the parapets (where we imagined she jumped!) and sang! :laugh: Next on the list is Carmen, of course, because who can’t resist bellowing a chorus of “Toreador” now and then?

Kathy, what a busy, busy life. I’m glad you had time to sit and relax by your fire on Friday eve. :drinker: Pizza and wine are required on Friday’s are they not? Sort of like fish for Catholics?

Laura, congrats on a “completely good Friday”. :flowerforyou:

JB, Your garden sounds fantastic. It’s probably a good thing I can’t get the wheel chair down the aisles of our local greenhouse because I’d be buying a ton of stuff and it’s still a couple of weeks away from warm enough to plant things outside here.

Well, the posts are coming in faster than I can respond today!

I shall go and get my breakfast and plan the rest of the day. Floor exercises today - gotta have those arms toned up for summer sleeveless shirts!

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

Nancy!!!!
    I am so happy for you that you're getting your walking cast...I was sooooo excited when I got mine! It was the best day when I could actually walk...well its not really walking but it was walking to me :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I still used one crutch to help me out and I would suggest you do the same at least at the beginning, it really helps! CONGRATS! Let us know how it goes!!!

Love Kat:heart:
  • Skyecath
    Skyecath Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for the welcome messages and encouragement from all over the world! I can see I'm going to have to log in quite often to keep up with all of you. You all seem to have quite busy lives.

A bit more about me as requested. I'm married (30 years in July) , have 2 grown up kids who have left home and now live n work on the Isle of Skye, off the NW coast of Scotland. ( see pic from my front door) We have 2 Welsh Harlequin ducks and the new addition to the family is a duckling Call duck who is now one week old and gorgeous. We are hoping to be partially self sufficient and grow veg, we're already getting duck eggs and have a freezer full of pork from the pigs we had over the winter (I hope that doesn't offend anyone but they had a good life and that's why we got them)

Barbie - yes I think you are right, I will have to make you all my work out buddies and report in what I have done.

I do walk to work but it is only 10 mins so hardly a workout but every little helps. I think we're already getting a little complacent about where we live and not getting out as much as we should.

Cath on sunny Skye :smile:
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Was just checking in before I go to bed. Seven good days in a row. Yippee! Weigh in tomrrow. Better be a good one.

:smile: Cath on sunny skye. What a beautiful view from your front door. How envious I am but also feel so lucky to 'meet' you and see this beautiful place.

Goodnight all.
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the friendly welcome. This looks like a great place for support. Don't know if anyone else had that SUPERMOON interfere with their sleep last night. I was hoping to get out early and do my run but it seemed like daylight all night long. I live in the country and I'm not used to that much light filtering into my bedroom. I think I'll just work on sprinting and recovering today instead of going for distance and then head into town and pick up some groceries. Then work on my garden. Glad to see the weather is becoming more springlike here. We had a very unseasonally warm March. Really winter was pretty non existent and then April was cold. Mother nature tricking us again.
  • nlarowe1
    nlarowe1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was doing great for about 60 days but over the past 3 weeks everything has fallen to pieces. I've gained 10 ponds back...stopped exercising...and am just feeling overall crappy. I'm so tired of dieting....and frustrated that the weight at my age just doesn't want to come off but sure goes back on quick enough....lUGH!,,
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :bigsmile: Hope the day rings true to its name. Sure would be nice to see the sun later, it stayed hidden behind the clouds all day yesterday. Had to let the dogs out around 1:00AM last night, I peeked outside and saw the SuperMoon shining like crazy out there, beautiful!! It was clear then, why can't it be clear now? :grumble:

A few pics from the garden yesterday, we spent all day planting, more in store for today. We grow in a community garden nearby where we live, there are about 130 garden plots that are about 25' x 50' in size. It's a gorgeous setting in a large park with the confluence of two rivers right there for easy access to swimming in the summer. We've been gardening there for 7 years, the soil is dark and rich from all the manure and mulch we've added. It's a labor of love. :wink:

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

Spinach and lettuce ready to pick, and the large purple sprouting broccoli needs harvesting again. Tomatoes and peppers planted yesterday, we'll dig the garlic out in about a month.

Have a wonderful day everyone :flowerforyou:
    jb
    Whoa, sorry the pics are rather large! :blushing: Still figuring out how to get it right using Photobucket.
  • brayla1
    brayla1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was doing great for about 60 days but over the past 3 weeks everything has fallen to pieces. I've gained 10 ponds back...stopped exercising...and am just feeling overall crappy. I'm so tired of dieting....and frustrated that the weight at my age just doesn't want to come off but sure goes back on quick enough....lUGH!,,

Don't get discouraged, totally normal to hiccup along the way...make small goal to get moving again. One suggestion is this is a life change not a diet....that is a four letter work:laugh:

Things to consider:
    1. Can you pinpoint what the trigger was that resulted in you falling off the wagon?
    2. What one thing can you start doing again to jumpstart yourself?
    3. Is there anyone you know who can be your life buddy? Help you get going again?

Remeber that what we are all trying to do, create/maintain a healthier lifestyle. For everyone, that may have a little different twist, but the one thing we have in common, we are doing this for ourselves. Let us know how we can help!:heart:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    jb: WOW....what a lovely garden you have! And I love the look of the purple sprouting brocolli! Yes, gardens are a labor of love. I have had mine about 4 years now and each year the soil improves as I amend and amend it! Being on the coast, I do not have that dark, rich looking soil since we have so much sand. Enjoy the fruits of all your effort!:drinker:

Faye: EGGPLANTS too!!!!

nlarowe: Just jump back in and put one foot in front of the other. I have found that when I come "here" every day...read the posts...make myself post, I can get out of a "slump". Good luck!

always nancy: YES...that big moon did affect my sleep last night! Pretty to look at, but I think it makes us a bit "looney" sometimes!

I didn't have a great Friday or Saturday eating wise, but I WILL today! Planning my food for the day right now...exercise and walk done! Have a good one everyone!!!:flowerforyou: Kackie
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi All!!!

:happy: JB WOW!!!!! Your garden is sooooooo beautiful!!!!! I am so impressed!!!! I wish I lived near you, I would visit just to awe at your garden!!!!!

nlarowe1 done be discouraged! As Barbie always says...Plan your for food the day and stick to that plan (well she says it better :bigsmile: ) but you get the point ! We all have set backs, but It really helps me to check in to this board everyday...these ladies here are so supportive and we are all in this together...we are here for you :smile: so hang in there and start logging your food and drinking your water...one step at a time and you will get back in the swing of it :heart: :heart: :heart:

:love: I think for me is that I really have had a shift in my thinking...I don't think of this as "dieting" I think of this as HOW I EAT NOW and this is how I am going to eat for the rest of my life. If I want a piece of chocolate...I have one...but JUST ONE, not a WHOLE BOX :bigsmile: like I used to...so IM learning to modify the way I eat. If I want a glass of wine I have it...but I log EVERYTHING in my food diary...maybe one day I won't need to but right now I need to.

:flowerforyou: If I think that Im ON A DIET then at some point I will be DONE and OFF the diet...then what? So for me ...this is how I eat, that way it becomes a lifestyle...I know that once I reach my weight goal I will have to up my daily calories to maintain my weight, but my lifestyle and eating lifestyle will still stay the same :drinker:

Ok Im done rambling :glasses:

I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday! This is my 2nd favorite TV night hehehehe because my second favorite TV show is The Celebrity Apprentice! Of course Survivor being my first !!! Im such a TV addict!!!

Healthy Eating Ladies!

Love
    Kat :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Cooler Sunday,

Yesterday was so hot and today is supposed to be a lot cooler. Last night we had some pretty good thunder showers and today everything looks really fresh. Hubby has already been out cleaning up the branches from the Cottonwood tree and we are wondering what we shoud do today other than have a lazy day:huh:

We went out with our friends (DIL #2's parents) to see The Best Exotice Marigold Hotel...if any of you have it in your town/city you should see it....it's a movie made for all of us at our ages. It is only playing here (Denver) in one theater (one of the artsy ones) but on two screens...the line was long with all of us gray heads and the theater packed. One of the things that made it fun was that the whole audience laughed at the same lines...having to do with our ages:laugh: :laugh:

After we went to dinner at Red Lobster and I was able to log my food on my phone and get my trout fix in:love: I love trout and hubby doesn't and most of the time when I cook it it smells too fishy and the house keeps the smell for so many days:grumble: . I ordered a full so I could have the second half tonight for dinner so am looking forward to that.

Michele- My turkey burger with the lettuce bun, is just that lettuce instead of a bun. At Red Robin their menu says you can sub a lettuce bun on any of their burgers, so I always do. Also they have the BEST on line menu of any resturant that I know of, you can choose any burger or meal and add and subtract whatever you want then when you have chosen all the changes you want you can calculate the nutition and it's all broken down for you.:happy:

Cath- I love your picture from out your window. Scotland is one of hubby & my favorite places:love: . We spent 8 days in Scotland in 2010 and would love to return to see what we missed and your Isle is one of them.

jb- WOW what a garden:love: It's so beautiful and I'm sure we will hear about all your healthy eating this summer.

Nancy-I remember grouchy teenage boys:grumble: and when they were all in the Military I think the Air Force & Army got all their grouchies out of them because we sure don't see it anymore and none of the DIL's have said anything about them being that way with them:wink: I'm sure it's just a phase.

Yesterday we had our great bike ride and took Peanut on a walk before out movie & dinner out. Peanut is getting so slow, his age is really starting to show:cry: He still thinks he's a young dog and sometimes gets too excited when he's heading up the stairs and does a one or two stair tumble so we try to keep him "under excited"

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all the newbies. You will love it here, just keep coming back each day and you will see new things to encourage you.

I best get going, I want to get in my kettlebells and some other exercise before hubby says let's go do something. Remember to log your food, drink your water:drinker: and get some exercise...even just a little.

Laura80111:smile: