WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2012

Options

Replies

• jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Now a shopping I will go. Don't mind the shopping, lots of fresh vegies on todays list, I just really dislike the unpacking when I get home. Oh well. On the positive, its not raining, it's a lovely sunny day. Easy shopping day. I have had 4 good days in a row now to make it 5. Taking it one day at a time and building a strong foundation.
  • brayla1
    brayla1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Great goal!! You can so do this!!!
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Well it happened again, almost finished mypost and the battery died on my kindle and:grumble: lost the post. One would think I would learn...:noway: oh well...had my annual physical with the doc today and didn't get yelled at...if I lose some more weight I could get off my high blood pressure meds ...that is my true goal for all of this. I am fighting genetic predisposition, but if the doc thinks I can do it I am going to give this my best shot.

Did 12 miles on bike yesterday and today did kettlebells and upper body weights. I took Friday and Monday off so I am hoping to bike tomorrow as well...will see how the body feels.

Will watch the rest of Idol, snuggling with cancer Kitty (can't believe she is still with us) I think she gets cold so likes to sit with us and a blanket.

Have a good evening. Hugs to all who need them and high fives for all of us for logging, moving and drinking that water
    :heart:
    Jen
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    katie - honestly, I don't remember, do you add in your exercise and eat back those calories?

Today started out pretty good, but then I made these butterscotch cookies to take to the Y, the bowling alley, and to my hairdresser. Well, to me the batter needed more flour, so I had to keep trying and tasting. I really didn't want them, but I had to try them to see how they'd bake. Then, tonight, a gal invited me to evening mahjongg. I usually don't go to the evening mahjongg, but she's pretty close by. The other gal who always wants to have it at her house is so far away. One night I had a reaction to the flu shot and driving home I felt like s***. Right then and there I decided never again that far away so late at night. The gal who's having it tonight lives close by (sort-of). So I'll go to her house.

Today I did a 45 minute Cathe band DVD, tomorrow I'll do a step DVD.

About those butterscotch cookies - I hate when I follow the recipe to the letter, and they don't turn out decently, then I have to go back and tweak the recipe.

Fortunately, I have these sausage cheese bites made and in the freezer, I just have to pop them in the oven and I'm ready. I like to keep some snacks in the freezer just for things like this. I made them a while ago for Mexican Train once, someone asked me for the recipe, so I just put the rest in the freezer. Good thing I did, too

Welcome Karen, Kari mzbehaven, celticmuse and lharmon

Amanda - I totally agree with you, maintenance IS harder than losing

Agree here about the other boards. Some of the things that people post are soooo very petty, they seem to get worked up over the slightest thing. And you're right, mzbehaven, so many feel like their opinion is the right one and wooo be the person who disagrees with them. Not here, tho. Which is one of the reasons I like it so much

kackie - woo hoo on the dress!

Laura - your sons's adventures sound so interesting!

Faye - I don't remember having a problem with the days logged in. Wish I could help you.

CTL - so sorry about the accident. Glad you're back. You've come to the right place for encouragement. Jen is right -- you need to eat, if anything so that you'll heal. The less you eat, the longer it'll take for you to heal

Jen - you WILL get off those meds, I'm sure of it. Especially with your great attitude.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    I have a question for the group - do any of you have trouble with the "days logged in" counter? For the last several months it has not worked for me. Randomly it will show me as logged in but mostly not. Lately it almost never acknowledges that I have been logging. I have told the powers that be 4 times and each time I get a form response and they reset my days to some number greater than 100 and then the next day I am back to not being logged in again. Yesterday I showed up as logged on for 197 days, after the last message to MFP and reset, now today I have apparently been among the missing for 4 days...

Have any of you had this problem and found a solution? It doesn't really matter, I guess, but it's is kind of irritating when I get messages from members and MFP encouraging me to show up when I am already here! :ohwell:

Faye

:bigsmile: Faye, I know some people have trouble with "logged in for ____days in a row" when they log in from their phones......mine has been accurate. Awhile ago I found out that the powers that be on MFP would reset my days to when I started in 2009 if I wanted them to even though I had actually not logged in for some of those days because of no internet access......I decided that it seemed like cheating to get credit for days in a row when there were gaps......someone I know on another thread had all her days reset and now claims over a thousand days in a row.....I finally decided that it wasn't important to me and had the feature shut off along with the feature that tells others that i haven't logged in for awhile. I know that I log in every day and that's all that counts. Among my happiness commandments are "lighten up" and "don't take things personally" so in keeping with those principles, I decided to not worry about little technology glitches.:bigsmile:

:bigsmile: I taught a great dance to Rod Stewart's "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" at line dance today......it was an easy intermediate dance and almost everyone learned it easily.....I'm going to teach it at the Wednesday class next week and review it next week on Thursday. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: This is the greatest thread. Not only is it positive, encouraging, and supportive, but we also share health and fitness ideas so it's not just a "chit-chat" thread.

:flowerforyou: today was my SWSY day.....I've modified my routine so it takes just over an hour and when I finish, my muscles know they've been exercised.......I do my 100 lunges at a different time (while brushing my teeth at night and walking a dog in the morning). As long as I don't go out of town, I do it Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

:bigsmile: we have tulips and rhododendrons here but it's still pretty cold for planting vegetables.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: it;s way past my bedtime

hugs to all :heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • joylaut
    joylaut Posts: 68
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind and understanding words.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm an old newbie. I haven't check how long it has been, logging on to this site. But, I'm back and going to keep trying. My eating habits are just terrible. I was out of work for about two years and now I am an Art Instructor at my local Boy's & Girl's Club. My hours are from 2-7:30 so that had drastically changed my eating habits, plus I have not gone to the gym in months. So, Hubby, is trying so had to get me on track and I must follow him. I will have to make the effort to get to the gym. I"m probably rambling but this is it this is the way I feel.

But, So HAPPY TO BE BACK WITH ALL MY SUPPORTIVE FRIENDS.

REMEMBER WHEN i WAS FUNNY AND POSITIVE WAY BACK IN THE STONE AGE!!!!

WELL, I WANT TO GET THERE AGAIN.

KATHY (plantlady) By the way, haven't planted in years or at least cared to. Wish I could change my name. But, maybe I'll get into it again.

Thanks to all who sent me messages.

<3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Hi Kathy, if you hadn't posted today I was going to sent you a message and encourage you.....just put one foot in front of the other.....go for a walk if going to the gym isn't inspiring you right now....:bigsmile: plan your next meal and stay with the plan and don't forget to check in with every day.......the joy will come back....and speaking of joy, I am reading "The Happiness Project" so if you're looking for inspiration that might be a good choice.

:flowerforyou: my breakfast is done and the dogs are waiting for their next walk......after the walk I go to line dance then I'm performing with the performance group at some event at the senior center.....a full day :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Top o' the mornin' to ya! :bigsmile:

Whew, the storm's pretty much over. It's a relief looking out the window this morning to see trees that aren't bending halfway to the ground from gale force winds like we had yesterday. The poor lilac lost almost all of its blooms which are now scattered all over my back yard. I figured the winds would blow this storm away, but alas, the sky's still cloudy and dark. :ohwell:

Barbie, your strength training episodes are always so inspiring. :flowerforyou: Yesterday my SWSY routine lasted 40 minutes and boy did my muscles ever know they'd done something!! I upped the ankle weights to 2 lbs, and hand weights to 5 lbs. What a difference!

I felt the effects of the increased weights for several hours afterwards, boy howdy. I had a piece of chicken and had a small can of V8 pre-workout which really paid off - I wasn't starving and craving protein like usual when I was finished, but I do notice I'm hungrier all day on strength training days. Managed to do 22 push ups, plus all of the additional strength exercises in the book. Today it's back to doing 50 jumping jacks, squats, a few push ups and squats for my Merry Month of May daily exercise committment. :smile:

Took measurements yesterday, I've lost 2" in the upper arms and 2" in the upper thighs since I last measured in the beginning of March. That seems like a lot, maybe I pulled the tape a little tighter than when I measured last :blushing: but still, things are shrinking. I guess the 5 lbs I've lost in 2 months came right off my arms and thighs - everything else measured the same. I can actually feel nice little biceps starting to form since doing push ups and weights over the last 6 weeks. I'm awfully darned happy about that!

Happy Friday everyone! :drinker: Keep those potassium levels up, get plenty of Omega-3s and drink that water.

jb
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: TGIF

I had a NSV today and it's one of those that's a little:bigsmile: and a bit:sad: Last September I wore these pants that are an eight and they were so tight that I had to wear panty hose to keep from having those "undie lines". I decided to put them on today because I was sure I'm a solid eight...and they are so baggy :sad: Not sure how many more times I will get to wear them but in the next few weeks I will be sure to wear them a lot. I have this new top that I bought last fall to go with these pants and it finally fits:bigsmile: and it goes so well with these pants....so I guess it is one or the other fitting:ohwell:

Weather is supposed to be wonderful here for the next two days so hubby and I are hoping to get in two good bike rides and I will add my kettlebell workout for later so am hoping to have a successful weekend with the exercise, gotta get into a routine on the weekends I just have trouble doing that:grumble:

Have to finish payroll so everyone have a good day don't forget to log your food, move your body and drink your water:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • Lynn0713
    Lynn0713 Posts: 27
    Options
    No but I do remember that person as well so we must have been on at the same time.:smile:
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Took today and Monday off from work...small office and my coworker and I both had the cranky pants on, so I thought a couple of days away might be good for all of us...she has her DS wedding in two weeks so soon it will all settle out! I did 12 miles again this am since I had no time constraints and am enjoying late breakfast and cup of tea. Michelle, I also find I have to tweak recipes...my sister calls me the tweaked and when I give her one of my recipes she asks if this is the way I REALLY make it lol! Have a great day everyone
    :heart:
    Jen
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello and Happy Friday from the rain soaked Creston Valley,:drinker:

Reading all the posts about chocolate got me going – I counted one square of good dark chocolate on my menu yesterday. :love: Yummy!

Genealace, It’s so good to hear from you, I was worried about you. An escape to the UK and Spain during the slushy end of an Ottawa winter sound like the best kind of relaxation after a tough season. Looking forward to catching up.

KathyGSM, it sounds like you have a great workout routine :explode: maybe you can’t see results but I’ll bet your body is changing and getting stronger. How nice to have a workout buddy.

Kat, Glad to hear you’re feeling more cheerful. As Gipsy-Judy mentioned, there’s research that links depression with a low carb diet.

Which reminds me again of my mother’s advice – eat a variety of foods in moderation! :drinker: She’s a dietician and raised us on the Canada Food Guide, which you can find on the internet at Health Canada. There’s got lots of good, practical advice there that’s not aimed at selling any particular point of view, specific diet plan or exercise routine.

Barbie, I know what you mean about trees being a mixed blessing!

We have a 55 year old house surrounded by trees that were planted when it was built. The star of the show is a big split-leaf maple in the front yard. It’s the biggest tree in town. DH complains about the leaves, the moss on the roof, the “volunteer” maple trees in the garden and the damage from roots growing into the water pipes, the foundation, etc. He sometimes threatens to get it cut down. I say he does not want to deal with the emotional repercussions he’d get from me! Besides being beautiful it shades our house in summer and I set the dining room table under it for special meals when the weather is nice. I am very fond of that tree. Our daughter used to climb it, and then haul up a thermos of tea and a book using a bucket on a rope, I’d find her perching there when I got home from school.

I have a mental image of you doing lunges while you brush your teeth. :laugh: You must be well coordinated, I don’t think I could keep my balance doing both at once!

Amanda, your job sounds fascinating. I love books, travel, maps…old books and old maps even more. Now the Latin, :noway: that would be a problem for me!

JB, slugs! Ugh! We used to live on the coast. The big banana slugs are the creepiest, don’t you think? I shall pass your radish advice on to DH. Congrats on the “no wine after work”. I think 4 days in a row is something like Olympic gold medal worthy, is it not?

Kat AKA Katiejarr – if those of us with “brown thumbs” did not exist, who would shop at the Farmer’s Market? :huh:

MSH0530: Yes, there’s not much to keep high school students motivated when they have just a couple of weeks left in the year. Aren’t numbers just the most amazing thing? I have a deep respect for math teachers who can see the patterns! Therapy for frustrating students? Medicine ball slams!

Cathy, I’m so glad to see you back. I was afraid you’d been buried under boxes of things you’d packed for your move and we’d never find you again. :wink:

Faye, your description of your trip to the north and your enthusiasm make me nostalgic for my own years along the Alaska Highway. You can dream about it while you push-pull on that elliptical.

Kackie, congratulations on the size 8.:flowerforyou: Doesn’t it feel good? I put on the skirt I bought in March to be my summer “go to” and it’s too big in the waist. Dang.

CTL10157724: Welcome! I sent you a private message from my wheel-chair!

JB congratulations on the muscles! Don’t you love it? I want to have “shapely shoulders” this summer.

J'boy just got out of bed. I said "I'll make you something yummy for breakfast" and he growled at me. Literally. :grumble: I am getting tired of 14 year old boy moods, it hurts my feelings too. Oh well, can't change that so might as well "be the way I want to feel" which is happy. Off to make him a lovely egg and cheese omelette. While standing on one foot. And ignoring his grunts.

DH just brought me another cup of coffee :drinker: :heart:

Adios, hasta pronto

Nancy

Goals for May:

24 hours of exercise including weight training (no squats or lunges, gotta keep off that foot until the end of the month!)
    4 sets of 25 left leg straight lifts, bent knee lifts, and kick backs every day (can’t have my right thigh turning into a noodle now, can I?)
    Get the routine chores done – no procrastination!
    Act the way I want to feel.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Kackie and Laura I love those clothing NSV's we get occasionally. I sure hope to have some in the near future.

To all of you who have lots of time to exersize, I am really envious. I miss it so much but I just can't seem to fit it in to my days. I am so tired after work. I bought a fitbit last week but haven't had time to figure it out yet. I hope I can use it to motivate me to move more. My HRM battery died about a year ago and I haven't replaced it. I really need to do that too.

This morning DH forgot to check the water dish. I woke to the sound of Bodi lapping at the toilet. I freaked because we put those tablets in the tanks that turn the water blue. I rushed and filled the water dish with clean fresh water and Ritter drank a ton but Bodi was no longer thirsty. I checked the toilet and the water isn't very blue at all so hopefully he didn't drink to much chemical. I am worried about him but I think he will be okay. Ritter drank so much water that I am sure DH will have a messy pen to clean when he gets home. Serves him right for not checking the dish. :wink:

I hope you all have a great day.

Robin, Bodi Boy and the Rit Bit
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    NSV of the best kind - J'boy talked! and smiled at me! :love: The omelette turned into an egg & cheese tortilla roll because he was running late and had to eat while walking to school.

Yes, I do feel happy. :happy: Lighthearted, even.

Nancy
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, and welcome to all of the new ones! :flowerforyou: You will find a lot of encougagement and support here.
    I worked out at our church Yesterday getting things ready for the youth group's garage sale. they are having it to raise money for theier youth camp in June. I don't know how to log it. :ohwell: ,but I do know that I worked out because I am sore today!

I tryed the new Special K cracker chips and I love them. sometimes I crave something salty, I don't eat alot of chips and that kind of thing because of my blood pressure , however evey once in a while I just cave it . the special K chips are 130 cal for 27 chips and unlike the reg. chips they have vitamin A Calcium , Iron ,Proteine and Potassium. the Dietary Fiber is 3g and total Fat is 3g no Trans fats, I bought the cheddar, but they come in other flavors also.

Amanda : hope your stress is better today, It has been raining here also I am in Indiana USA,was nice yesterday but the grown is still pretty wet!

JB; Yuk! slug tossing and I thought I had heard it all:laugh: But must save the plants !

mzbehaven1 ; I love the knots prayer and you are right about the other treads, these ladies are a wonderful bunch , and will give you lots of encouragement, laughs, and support.

msh530 I saw a post 0n facebook that might work for you . it said; Women pray for patience, because if they prayed for strength they would have to strangle someone! :bigsmile:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    A good Friday morning to all of you, my friends! I made it to the swimming pool last night, and hope to get a little yard work in for exercise this evening. What are your exercise plans for the day?

My day has started out well ~ there was no homework in PreAlgebra yesterday, so I didn't even have to see the young man! (Proof that there is a God who looks out for me when I get in a mood!) I did make the mistake of saying good morning to another boy who apparently was not having a good morning, and am now applying tourniquets to myself to stop the bleeding from the tongue lashing that he gave me, but at least I am not in charge of detention today and won't have to supervise him. However, I do fear that he may have a bad enough day that he may still be serving on Monday when I am in there.

Faye - Thank you for your suggestions. I shared them with my husband, and we are trying to decide if we can swing the cost of the boat trip and find somewhere to board our dog for the day.

Kathy - I am glad to see you back, and I am sure that you will be able to get back into the swing of things soon. Just remember that it is easier if you only try to change one thing at a time; then you can build on that.

Welcome to the newcomers!

I have got to get back to my students and the math book. Have a great day, all! Mary
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    JB, slugs! Ugh! We used to live on the coast. The big banana slugs are the creepiest, don’t you think? I shall pass your radish advice on to DH. Congrats on the “no wine after work”. I think 4 days in a row is something like Olympic gold medal worthy, is it not?
    Nancy, banana slugs! :sick: Omg they are the worst. When I lived on the coast in No. California years ago, I'd see them down by the creek all the time, blechhh! Our Portland slugs aren't yellow, and not quite as big as banana slugs, but on several occasions I've come across what looks to be a bit of dog poo in the garden, and guess what, it's indeed a big brown slug, larger than my thumb. Sickening LOL

Thanks for the "no wine" congrats, yes, I do believe I deserve a medal. :laugh:
    Lord help me not to overdo it tonight :blushing:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the "no wine" congrats, yes, I do believe I deserve a medal. :laugh:
    Lord help me not to overdo it tonight :blushing:

Sign in front of a wine shop:laugh:
    536359_10150806435692262_676792261_9492724_638897429_n.jpg
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    !
    I tryed the new Special K cracker chips and I love them. sometimes I crave something salty, I don't eat alot of chips and that kind of thing because of my blood pressure , however evey once in a while I just cave it . the special K chips are 130 cal for 27 chips and unlike the reg. chips they have vitamin A Calcium , Iron ,Proteine and Potassium. the Dietary Fiber is 3g and total Fat is 3g no Trans fats, I bought the cheddar, but they come in other flavors also.

msh530 I saw a post 0n facebook that might work for you . it said; Women pray for patience, because if they prayed for strength they would have to strangle someone! :bigsmile:

Thanks! Love the quote ~ it makes me think of a friend who was very patient when our children were young. I asked her how she got that way, and she said, "I used to pray every day: God give me patience, and give it to me right now! Then one day, I woke up, and I was patient."

The Special K chips that I bought to put in my desk are the Multigrain, and they are good too. Mary