So, now I wonder, where do the truly "skinny" people shop?

Options

Replies

• Jean1Marc
    Jean1Marc Posts: 12
    Options
    I can't tell you where to shop, but I can tell you that the BMI scale is unrealistic for just about every human. You should not use it as a gauge for fitness, and it is incredible that it has stuck around for so long. When it first came out, it took a fitness professional about 30 seconds to point out that, according to the scale, Arnold Schwarzenegger in his Mr. Universe days was, "morbidly obese".

Keep your eye on overall fitness, appropriate body fat-to-muscle ratio, and proper nutrition. Forget about BMI.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Okay...no one's helping me! LOL

Where can I find nice work pants that fit, when a double 0 in Express is too big and a 0 in Victoria's Secret is too big? There are no dress slacks in children's sections.

I know what you mean about Express and Victoria's Secret. I had a few pairs of their pants that used to sort of fit, but now that I've lost some weight they're practically falling off me.

My favorite work pants, that I'm wearing right now, are actually from Forever 21. They're grey pinstripe and they fit perfectly (I did have to hem them since they don't make petite sizes). You wouldn't think Forever 21 would be good for work clothes, and you do have to sift through racks and racks of party clothes to find them, but they are there! I also love the blazers there-- anywhere else they look boxy and unflattering, but Forever 21 blazers are designed for teenagers so they fit small frames correctly.
  • ajp913
    ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bragger... ;0)
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    Aeropostale,express,kohls
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you where to shop, but I can tell you that the BMI scale is unrealistic for just about every human. You should not use it as a gauge for fitness, and it is incredible that it has stuck around for so long. When it first came out, it took a fitness professional about 30 seconds to point out that, according to the scale, Arnold Schwarzenegger in his Mr. Universe days was, "morbidly obese".

Keep your eye on overall fitness, appropriate body fat-to-muscle ratio, and proper nutrition. Forget about BMI.

Is this, like, obligatory to post in every thread or something? No one said anything about BMI.
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Gap. long legs, small waist.

Or if you're like me and have long legs, small waist and thick thighs, again Gap is excellent, but Paige also makes their jeans with bigger than "normal" thigh room. I wear a size 4 in most jeans, but my thighs need a size 6 (damn you squats!) I can squeeze into AE size 4 jeans but they're just not as comfortable as my Gap jeans.

Of course if you are the type of girl who still wears those super "low-cut" jeans where every time you bend over 8" of of your butt crack shows, Gap jeans are not for you. Also if you carry extra weight around the bottom midsection of your belly, you know those little love handles that your husband grabs every time you stand naked in the mirror and you wince in agony because your husband loves your love handles but you hate them... Yeah, Gap jeans covers that. They sit higher on the hips so you don't get the, what do they call it? Muffin Top (?) thing going on. Only downside to Gap is the material, I don't like to wash my jeans everyday because it fades them but with my Gap jeans the material is so fine that they'll stretch out after my second day of wearing them so then I have to wash them just so they'll fit.

Just sayin'.
  • Cschwarze45
    Cschwarze45 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with hemming. It's easier to find them a little long, at least they aren't too short! And it takes 15 minutes on the sewing machine, problem solved.... And as for jeans that fit, I don't think that ever gets easy. I'm discovering I may have to learn patients to shop and look a little longer for a fit I like.
    Good luck, and enjoy having such a problem, it's one many women would love to have.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Charlotte Russe? Almost all the styles they sell seem to only work well for very slim figures. (Or at least that's what I was thinking when I tried to shop there a while ago) :P
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I look like a little girl playing dress up in express's smallest size-lol! I don't know why I keep going in there- the shorts are so cute and I keep forgetting how big they are cut, that's why. My favorite stores are Ann Taylor Loft and White House Black Market. Loft's 00 fits me and most 00s at White House Black Market fit- I do have a 00 busteir and pants from there that will have to be altered, but if I love it, it's worth getting altered! Teeny bopper stores usually have smaller cuts, and the children's section is a possibility, but I am a 36 year old mom with kids- the styles don't exactly jive with my life most of the time. A teacher at my kids' school marched up to me and apologized once- she was fixing to ask me for a hall pass. The truth is, from head to toe, I am smaller than most middle school girls at my kids' school.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to have the same problem. I'm cheap and broke. I don't want to spend a lot on jeans or shorts. I'm typically in a 2 or 4, and shopping at Kohl's yesterday and couldn't find anything smaller than a 6 in the brands and price range I wanted.

I can sometimes get away with junior's jeans, but not shorts. I have big thighs and a small waist. Shorts that fit my legs are huge in the waist.

i hate juniors shorts. they have nothing in a medium length. either your butt is hanging out or it's past your knees.
  • lindrusso
    lindrusso Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to have the same problem. I'm cheap and broke. I don't want to spend a lot on jeans or shorts. I'm typically in a 2 or 4, and shopping at Kohl's yesterday and couldn't find anything smaller than a 6 in the brands and price range I wanted.

I can sometimes get away with junior's jeans, but not shorts. I have big thighs and a small waist. Shorts that fit my legs are huge in the waist.

Ugh. I was just complaining about Kohl's the other day - their sizes are totally inflated. I am now fitting into a size 4 in some of their stuff and I am NOT a size 4. Size 4, from what I saw on their website, is as low as they go and even they are hard to find - most things seem to start at size 6. I bought some extra-small long-sleeve shirts this fall and they fit more like a medium. UGH! They have truly sized the smaller women right out of that store! Another 5 pounds or so and I probably won't be able to shop there at all.

We don't have many shopping choices in my area, so I can't make many recommendations, only sympathize. I do find, though, that the designer clothes tend to run much smaller than other brands. I'm hoping to make a trip to Loft soon and hope that I'll find some things there.

I fear that this will only get worse. If America continues this trend with more and more people falling into the overweight and obese categories, the stores will have less and less incentive to carry the smaller sizes.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options

i hate juniors shorts. they have nothing in a medium length. either your butt is hanging out or it's past your knees.

i know what you mean...its so hard for me to find shorts that i dont feel like i'm showing too much leg in or that don't look like old lady shorts.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    H&M? I'm still in relatively normal sizes but when I get to my goal I'll have this problem (when I was in my late teens/early 20's, I had a hard time finding jeans in the jr section, because I was short and thin), but I just found some great jeans there the other day, and was shocked because I have a really hard time finding jeans that fit. They had sizes much smaller than what I picked up, so I will definitely be heading back there as I lose. Good variety of styles, too.
  • marieautumn
    Options
    I look like a little girl playing dress up in express's smallest size-lol! I don't know why I keep going in there- the shorts are so cute and I keep forgetting how big they are cut, that's why. My favorite stores are Ann Taylor Loft and White House Black Market. Loft's 00 fits me and most 00s at White House Black Market fit- I do have a 00 busteir and pants from there that will have to be altered, but if I love it, it's worth getting altered! Teeny bopper stores usually have smaller cuts, and the children's section is a possibility, but I am a 36 year old mom with kids- the styles don't exactly jive with my life most of the time. A teacher at my kids' school marched up to me and apologized once- she was fixing to ask me for a hall pass. The truth is, from head to toe, I am smaller than most middle school girls at my kids' school.
    i love WHBM...forgot about that store.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Skinny R Us?!
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You know, now that you gals mention it, I do have 2 pairs of shorts I got from Banana Republic that fit great! They're actually 2's, I think. I haven't put them on recently (and I've lost some weight since last summer when I bought them). I'll have to try them on to determine whether I should stick with 2's or go to 0's.

They're just so pricey! Ugh!

But, I can get Banana Republic giftcards using Discover cash back. ;)
  • marieautumn
    Options
    You know, now that you gals mention it, I do have 2 pairs of shorts I got from Banana Republic that fit great! They're actually 2's, I think. I haven't put them on recently (and I've lost some weight since last summer when I bought them). I'll have to try them on to determine whether I should stick with 2's or go to 0's.

They're just so pricey! Ugh!

But, I can get Banana Republic giftcards using Discover cash back. ;)
    i know...i cant even take the gamble on washing them myself and having them shrink...straight to the dry cleaners. :noway:
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Gotta Ross nearby? They are friggin' awesome for smaller sizes.

And, from past experience, if you don't mind, you can buy gir's sizes in bottoms. I have a rear, have always had a rear, will always have a rear, and I have purchased girls sizes in the past. This is hit and miss, make sure you try them on of course but we do what we have to do (I'm 5'1 BTW so girls jeans actually fit better in the length department a lot of times).

Also, a lot of surfer clothes run small. So check out places that sell roxy and fox like Pac Sun or even online and you might have some luck. And a lot of times you can get super cheapo when they are on sale.

Congrats on the weight loss and the new probs!!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for all of the responses. Seems like there are lots of options.

I love Dress Barn for the inexpensive dresses/pants that look nice for work, but since I'm already shrinking out of a 4 (their lowest size) which is about the equivalent of a 2 at The Loft, I started to get concerned. I then tried on a Nine West suit in a 4 and realized I needed the 2 and started wondering if I needed to rethink my goal and keep a few pounds just to be able to have more clothing options (love to shop)!

You ladies have inspired me to continue with my journey, check out juniors for play clothes (maybe they'll fit if I can find something age appropriate), and just bump up my budget a little for work (more Loft less Barn). :happy:
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Gotta Ross nearby? They are friggin' awesome for smaller sizes.

And, from past experience, if you don't mind, you can buy gir's sizes in bottoms. I have a rear, have always had a rear, will always have a rear, and I have purchased girls sizes in the past. This is hit and miss, make sure you try them on of course but we do what we have to do (I'm 5'1 BTW so girls jeans actually fit better in the length department a lot of times).

Also, a lot of surfer clothes run small. So check out places that sell roxy and fox like Pac Sun or even online and you might have some luck. And a lot of times you can get super cheapo when they are on sale.

Congrats on the weight loss and the new probs!!

Hmmm...I DO have a Ross. I could try there during my lunch break sometime. Thanks. :)