Why can't I run?

Options
Why is it that I can do an hour on an elliptical and struggle but get through it yet when I try to jog/run I can barely make it once around the track and I am breathing like a chain smoker (which I am not!) I want to be able to run, nothing fancy just a casual run...any suggestions?

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Seconded!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    On the road you have resistance from the wind and terrain - also you don't have momentum pulling your feet back as in the elliptical motion.. similar to a treadmill. That and running from rabid dogs.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bump... I feel the same exact way!! I cannot run to save my life!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Just goes to show that running on a treadmill is much easier than running on a track or trail.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Why is it that I can do an hour on an elliptical and struggle but get through it yet when I try to jog/run I can barely make it once around the track and I am breathing like a chain smoker (which I am not!) I want to be able to run, nothing fancy just a casual run...any suggestions?
    Because the elliptical doesn't actually train you to run. It gets your heart rate up, it burns calories, but doesn't do anything about conditioning your muscles to run, they have to work a lot harder to run than on the elliptical. I'd say skip the elliptical and focus on running. C25K
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well, I find it much easier on the elliptical as well. I figure its cuz the elliptical is low impact, as your feet are just gliding on the bottom, but when running your feet are hitting the pavement. I feel like the ellipticals gliding sort of "helps" you along, but running you have to just use your own strength to move step by step. If you jog regularly, you will build your stamina and be able to jog longer and farther, dont give up!
  • girlnumber57
    Options
    Plus you have your brain telling you that you can't do it. That really makes a difference. I would give the C25K a try. I did that, I'm not a great runner, but now I CAN run....
  • babicak3z
    babicak3z Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies I just checked out the website I'm gona give it a try I know this wasn't my post but it's very helpful
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yep, actual running is harder than most machines. Keep at it, you'll improve!
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm with you...I can jog in place for 15 minutes and barely be breathing hard, but I try to run around the block and it darn near kills me. Couch to 5k just doesn't seem to be in the stars for me.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    You've also probably built up your ability to go on the elliptical for longer periods of time over time. You have to do the same with running. C25K is a great approach. It's funny, because I can barely do 25-30 minutes on the elliptical, but I can run 4-5 miles... it's all about training to get your body used to a particular activity.
  • mrtrik
    mrtrik Posts: 31
    Options
    Running is much more difficult than the elliptical. So don't fret.

Most people run way too hard (if you have a HR monitor, try it on the elliptical and then do that same HR running, you will see). Don't try to compare the two.

When you are starting to run all runs are difficult. Slow down. Maybe right now you can only run 10 seconds and walk 30 seconds. that's fine, your ability will pick up (and you won't hate it) if you take it easy.

I constantly tell people they need to run at conversational pace. If you can't run and talk/hold a conversation, then you are going to hard. Stop and walk till your breathing and HR settles. then run again. Slower. Trust me. Running takes a long time, but it's super effective and it's awesome.

I was never a runner. Until I was.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Try cranking the resistance on the elliptical way up. It still will not be the same but will be an easier transition.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You should alternate walking / running until you are able to run consistently....try the C25K program.

I ran track in h.s., gave it up for a while, then when I went back couldn't run a quarter mile!! A few years later I completed a marathon :)

You can do it!
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Im doing the C25K. Ive stayed at level one for longer than a week, but I can def tell a difference in my stamina. I could barely make it thru one 30 min workout when I started but now I can double the workout. Im gonna move on up to level two now, lol. It takes time, but you can do it. Just gotta push thru and be patient. *hugs* :flowerforyou:
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    As a previous poster mentioned, running outside provides resistance form the wind and terrain, no assistance in propelling yourself forward, etc. The biggest obstacle in running is your thought process. If you tell yourself you can't...you won't. If you can "only" do one lap, the next time you run try to go a bit farther, even if it's only a quarter-lap or so.
    Just remember the li'l choo-choo "i think i can, i think i can..." Good luck and happy trails! :)
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm also out of breathe so easily when I run. Living in high altitude doesn't make it any easier.

I just recently started with something like Couch to 5k. I started with running for 30 sec. and walking for 3 min. Then I noticed I was running too fast and reduced the speed for running to 5mph on the treatmill. I can now easily run for 1 min and will try 1 1/2 min next time. I will slowly and steady work my way up and maybe one day be able to run a 5k :bigsmile:

You can do it as well! Start slowly and do some walking when you are out of breath, you can build endurance!

Add me as a friend if you want =)
  • gatork7
    gatork7 Posts: 22
    Options
    Yeah I have never really "wanted" to run. I have always been the one to say "only way you are gonna get me to run is if there is a big a**dog chasing me" but now that I have tried and I can't, it ticks me off. Guess I will just keep working on it!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    One word: impact. The impact on your body from running causes more perceived exertion at the same work level as an elliptical machine. That's why elliptical machines have become so popular.

When I was a kid I used to faint when I ran. I was sent to a cardiologist at 13 and he told me that I had a slow impulse to my heart and may need a pacemaker some day. He also said, "Not everyone is meant to run a marathon." I believed him. I avoided running/jogging for many years. When I was about 30 I decided to get rid of some pounds I had recently gained from a new sedentary job. I started walking. Before long I felt silly just walking and decided to start to jog. Soon I started to like it and worked my way up to running for an hour or more at about 7.5 MPH. I've been subsequently diagnosed with an A-V block in my heart that causes regular skipped beats. I haven't let it stop me. If I keel over while running, at least I'll have that silly endorphin-induced smile on my face.

Note: The type of A-V block I have is the most benign form and I've been cleared by my cardiologist to workout. I'm not suicidal.