Why can't I run?

Options

Replies

• zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Another thing about running? MAH LEGZ, OMG. Ok, so, I still have quite a ways to go until I'm at my goal weight, but let me tell you what...after a month of C25K and two weeks of squats, lunges and other weights? I feel myself up all the time. "That can't possibly be MY quad or MY hamstring! Holy balls!" True story.

Ha, this is me every Summer once I'm biking more than 50 miles every week...I get this really firm line on the outside of my quads. I'm always all "hey, DH, come feel my thigh!" (which he happily obliges). :laugh:
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    hey,
    it takes a while for you to get used to running...i started trying to run a few weeks ago, i was out of breath and looked dead lol...but after two weeks ive been building it up daily on a treadmill...doing low speeds then higher...now i really enjoy running. I find running outdoors is the best it makes you motivated actually running somewhere.
    Good luck, keep at it, in a week, if u run daily u will see a difference.
  • gatork7
    gatork7 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am working out with a trainer twice a week and he usually makes me run/jog some. I am thinking I may add in the C25K program on my non-trainer days....is there an app for the phone that will tell me when to walk and when to run?
  • taraatwood
    taraatwood Posts: 57
    Options
    Every single workout is using different muscles.

I ran a marathon, yet, I couldn't get through a spin class without wanting to die.

Now I do spin with flying colors and I can't run for ****.

Start slow. You should google "training program for 5k" this will tell you how to run to get up to a certain distance. I started at 4 miles and wanted to die and trained for 6 months and was able to run 18 miles no problem and finally finished the full marathon 26.2. It takes time. It takes training. It takes consistancy.

Also, you do not need an app to tell you when to run or not run. Create a play list. When a new song comes on change the pace / incline etc of what you are doing.

I usually do this on the elliptical - I'll have one song and go fast at a low resistance... then next song put resistance WAYYY up and incline way up that it's sooo hard i feel like i'm climbing a hill.

It also makes it go by fast b/c i'm worrying less about the time and more abotu the change of song.
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    You know what I had a problem with (in regards to C25K)? Right now, I'm all about burning calories. If I take 30 minutes on level 1-3 on C25K I'm barely burning any calories as compared to 30mins on the elliptical.
    So I stopped. I guess when I'm back at my goal weight I'll try it again when my focus is maintaining and not losing. Did anyone else feel the same way?

Also level 2 on the treadmill. Easy. Level 2 on the road. TORTURE. I think when I do do it again. I'll do it first on the treadmill. Then start over at level 1 and do it on the road. Completely different.
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    All of the above recommendations work. But dont push yourself too hard on the treadmill while running. If you do it too fast, you might end up getting shin splints like I did. Start small and slowly ( key word: SLOWLY) build it up. I have been at it for the last year ( off and on, as I had the case of really bad shin splints and it hurt even when I walked) and now I can run on average for 4-6 miles. So keep chipping at it. Also check your running form. Hit the road/pavement/treadmill with the balls of your feet instead of your heels (Learnt it the hard way).
    Good luck!
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I never did the C25K program but I basically followed a similar regimen. I did the elliptical and ate a bit healthier and noticed NO results so I started to run. At first I was struggling to even run 12 minute miles, and while I still have a long way to go, I can easily run over 6 miles in less than an hour now for still being decently overweight. The key is stretching, having the right shoes for your feet, and pushing yourself. I feel like being able to run for a half hour straight is a really huge hump to get over, once you can get yourself to do that you can do a lot more, such as running farther or at a faster pace.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    YES to c25k. I started week 5 yesterday- I haven't repeated any weeks so far- but I'm also not opposed to the idea. Week 1 Day 1 was the hardest one for me- and I feel like I sailed through the rest. You CAN do it.
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it and you'll get there. Running uses vastly different muscles than an elliptical machine. And your body has probably become accustomed to the elliptical. So that's why running is so much harder for you. When I began running about 8 years ago I couldn't even run for 5 minutes without stopping to gasp for air. I hated it. But I kept at it and slowly added time - maybe just 5 minutes at a time - and eventually I completed a 5K race. I wasn't fast but I did it. And you can too.

I will also say that part of running is mental and having positive self-talk to tell the part of your brain that wants to quit that it needs to be quiet. Just find something that you can tell yourself that motivates you and pumps you up. You CAN do it . . . you really really can. I promise you! You just don't know it yet. :-)
  • tinana_RN
    Options
    I am working out with a trainer twice a week and he usually makes me run/jog some. I am thinking I may add in the C25K program on my non-trainer days....is there an app for the phone that will tell me when to walk and when to run?

I use an app called "C2 5k Free" on my regular ipod touch- I know there are lots of apps for it but this one has done well by me so far!!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying! The more you run the better/easier it will get. Jog until you can't jog anymore every day and you will notice it gets easier each time. Also, make sure you're taking full breaths - in the nose/mouth out the mouth works for me.

ETA: I started running in January and couldn't make it over 5 minutes my first time, but a couple days ago I signed up for my first 15k.
  • tinana_RN
    Options
    ad the same problem. I couldn't even run a minute. I did c25k last year. I'm doing a marathon this year.

Congratulations!
  • NataschaMarie333
    NataschaMarie333 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Time Time and more Time!
    Hun, I have horrible knees and a messed up hip (broke my pelvis when I was 15)

But once you break past that horrible breathing/chest pains...it gets a heck of a lot easier.
  • Starsighter78
    Starsighter78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

^^ This x100000000000000000! :)
    It works, I promise.
  • cheercoach11
    cheercoach11 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, but I used C25K and I swear to you it works. I had to repeat the first couple of weeks twice instead of once, but I run my first 5k on Saturday!
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Personally I found even switching from track to road took a huge toll on my legs, impact wise. If your body isn't used to the impact (which, there's next to none on elliptical), it can wreak havoc on your ability.
  • shannon_121285
    Options
    Everybody can run. You have to remember that it's not about running for long when you start, it's just about actually doing it. I didn't do the C25K program however, I got a dog. I started running because of her and 3 years later, she completely refuses to run on a leash. I think I pushed her too far and it wasn't fun anymore.

To start running, try going for a brisk walk outside and run for any distance you can and then push yourself one house length further then continue your walk at a brisk pace. If you feel like you can do it again during your walk, do it again. Running doesn't mean you have to run for your entire workout. Try doing just as much as you can and then push yourself for 10 or 20 more steps. It will come.

I love running now and am running 2, 1/2 marathons this summer plus at least 1, 10k. I now must walk my dog separately and the time I take her our is her time, I don't have any goals in mind except spending time with her. (I realize that is completely off topic)
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If you are walking/running outside... Endomondo is a great app. Shows your distance, route and time per mile.

I was the kid who skipped gym class in high school when we had to run..... I took up 'running' at 40.....and also struggle with it.
    However, I did three Sprint Triathlons last year even though running isn't my strongest sport. I can swim and bike with no problem..... but could barely breath while trying to run. It was sooo frustrating.
    I agree with the other people's posts. You just have to keep trying and doing a little bit more each time... you will get there. :flowerforyou:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions but I will say that it can happen.

I used to not be able to run around 1 block w/o hurting and gasping for air. Then I did P90x and tried again and lo and behold I could do about 20 minutes straight. I kept working on it and went up to 30 then 45 minutes. My ultimate goal was an hour of straight running and I did accomplished that several months ago. I cried when I did the hour.

I guess I was just in better shape after doing P90x.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here are my beginner's tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

May I draw your attention to point one:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

Hope it helps! :flowerforyou: