English to USA Translations

Options

Replies

• Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    hahaha I'm totally loving this thread. I go to the UK every year so I'm quite familiar with the slang and I like what some people think the English say! :)

My faaavorite slang, that I've brought back home with me, is "You're grand!" from Ireland, and "F*** all" ahahahahaha. Love.
  • MrEmoticon
    MrEmoticon Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Did you know that American English has actually changed less and is closer to Shakesperean English than modern day British English?

http://www.englishclub.com/english-language-history.htm

Also, obligatory funny post.

EBZze.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Sometimes in the US, pancakes are called Johnny cakes. That's funnier when you know there is a school (can't remember if it's middle or high) in Catonsville, MD, called Johnny Cake.
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm a Geordie so I probably say things different to many others from England. :P

I've heard bait box being used for a packed lunch/lunchbox.
    If you come up here not only could you ask for a toilet/bathroom/washroom but you could also ask where they netty is.
    A marra is a friend and not to be confused with a marrow which is a vegetable.

People keep saying cookie = biscuit but a cookie is a specific type of biscuit. It's round and normallyhas chocolate chips (and/or various nuts) in it.

I had a great discussion with an American friend about how I was having Toad in the Hole for tea (I'm a tea time person, not a dinner but my more 'posh' southern friends disagree!). Toad in the hole is sausages cooked in a Yorkshire pudding and does not involve eating toads at all.

A bread bun is called different things throughout the country and means slightly different things in different areas. It could be a bun/bap/cob/stottie/roll or others.

I've never been to the US but did encounter a few language issues in Canada when I was about 16! I remember asking for a lemonade in a restaurant expecting a Sprite or similar to appear and being confused when a lemon squash turned up.
    I also confused someone by asking where the toilets were. Apparently I should have been asking for a washroom/bathroom. I remember there being other things but I can't remember them (apart from fanny pack/ bum bag which had us in hysterics). I do remember the Americans and Canadians we were with making us talk constantly as they found our accents so funny.

Football for you is American Football for us. I'm not sure why you call it football when from bits I've seen you spend half the time carrying the ball.
    Football for us = soccer for you.
    Hockey for you is Ice Hockey for us. Hockey is a game girls us girls all got forced to play in school and involved no ice (unless it had been snowing and the teachers were feeling mean) and a ball!

If you're talking about drinks, squash = something you put in your water to make it taste of something else. Orange, lemon or apple and blackcurrent for example. A similar thing is cordial. I think it's kool-aid there?

Desert/pudding came up and I tend to call what I'd eat after a meal desert. Pudding is a cake based type of desert.

if anyone is coming over for the Olympics and gets hurt, you'll do better asking where the nearest A&E (accident and emergency) department is than asking for an ER.

Subway does not automatically = tube. The tube is in London. Up in Newcastle we have the Metro. For me, a subway is a tunnel pedestrians use to walk under a busy road.

Speaking of roads, if you hate roundabouts and don't understand them, never drive over here!!!! They're everywhere and you'd love the double roundabout combinations we have going. ;)

I'm sure I'll think of some others that haven't already been said later.
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    UK Roundabout = US Rotary

I've only heard them called roundabouts in the US. Rotary is a club (Rotary International).

I know they are Rotaries in the Northeast. My wife is from Boston and I grew up in the UK so we argue all the time about it.

I grew up in the Northeast and spent a lot of time in Boston and only heard them called roundabouts. Interesting. Must be they use both there and I only heard the one term.

I live in the Deep South now, and they're roundabouts here, too.

entirely possible lol....Boston has so many dialects lol. She is from South Boston.

I live in the South, too, and I've occasionally heard them called Whoop-de-doo's.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    i'm still wrapping my head around the Brittish "fanny"...

also

I sometimes work with a guy from Wales and his accent is to. die. for.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    trump - fart

That brings a whole new meaning to my old Top Trump card sets.

it also makes Ivana Trump the funniest name in the world.

Now, imagine if her name was FANNY Trump!!! :laugh: (Fanny is an old fashioned first name for a girl - I believe i even have a great-great Aunt Fanny)
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    trump - fart

That brings a whole new meaning to my old Top Trump card sets.

it also makes Ivana Trump the funniest name in the world.

Now, imagine if her name was FANNY Trump!!! :laugh: (Fanny is an old fashioned first name for a girl - I believe i even have a great-great Aunt Fanny)

If I ever write a novel, Fanny Trump will be a character's name
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    @mremoticon thats gotta be the most incorrect list ive seen lol
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I had a great discussion with an American friend about how I was having Toad in the Hole for tea (I'm a tea time person, not a dinner but my more 'posh' southern friends disagree!). Toad in the hole is sausages cooked in a Yorkshire pudding and does not involve eating toads at all.

Not that your description will fully help. :tongue:

I recall being in the US in an English-themed pub. Yorkshire pudding was on the menu as part of the roast beef dinner. We were half-way through our dessert when an American family sat down next to us and were looking at the menu going:

"Oh my God! Look at all these combinations! Salt and vinegar on chips?"

Eventually, one went:

"I've always wanted to try an English roast! But...what's a Yorkshire Pudding?"

To which her (I'm assuming) boyfriend/husband replied, trying to act all smug:

"Oh, it's like a cake thing, with cream"

She responded:

"Ugh...why would they eat that with that?! The English are so weird".

I leaned over and explained before she gave up on the idea of trying a roast, but I realised how hard it is to describe a Yorkshire Pudding to someone who's never had one. I think the description was something along the lines of:

"It's a soft savoury batter, baked in the oven. It rises up as it's cooked."

Great explanation, Cheryl...
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    "University" and "college" in the US are kind of odd.

We have the big universities (usually state schools) that have within them several "colleges." (The college of engineering, the college of architecture, whatever your major happens to be.) And the small, private schools are colleges, but not universities. But when you say someone is in college or went to college, you could mean a university.

In Canada, 'college' means a vocational/trade school or community college. 'University' is where you get a Bachelor's degree. Where I live in the US, 'college' means any kind of post-secondary institution.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I just want to say "I'd like to taste a bloke's spotted **** please"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeoFXg6BTZD6Cbm_TCMngFrvBtvdFUBBxtVlLWktHcUz-XAhf4
    better include a pic so I don't get yelled at...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^this
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'd like to live abroad long enough to be able to say "pervy wanker" without sounding like an idiot. Because I think that would really come in handy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Whilst living with an American girl, she turned to me in a bar and said "woah, you're double fisting!" I nearly dropped the 2 drinks I was holding! Such a different meaning over here...

I moved to the US about 13 years ago - and this was the worse one for me to get my head around - I still can't say it (or fanny pack)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'd like to live abroad long enough to be able to say "pervy wanker" without sounding like an idiot. Because I think that would really come in handy.

"it's the dog's bollocks' is a good one too.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options

Erm... :noway: I have never heard BBC News report on someone being shot with a rooty-tooty point and shooty in the slappy ham :laugh:

There are so many different accents and dialects in Britain that we don't even understand one another half of the time.

I lived in the Black Country for a while - I had no idea what they were on about for months! :laugh:
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    i love when you guys say BOLLOCKS!

^^^^^THIS^^^^
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    A British friend was shocked when I logged "Boar's Head Ham." I had to explain that "Boar's Head" is an American meat brand, and I hadn't eaten the smoked head of a wild pig.

And my 3 Musketeer's candy bar got a lot of quizzical comments. 3 Musketeer's is like a Mars Bar without caramel. I believe it's called a Milky Way in the UK. (We have a Milky Way in the US as well, but it's like your Mars Bar.)

My favorite British word right now is bairn. The same British friend with the Boar's head confusion has a little bit of cake or other baked good every day. She explained "It's my bairn's baking."
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Not that your description will fully help. :tongue:

I recall being in the US in an English-themed pub. Yorkshire pudding was on the menu as part of the roast beef dinner. We were half-way through our dessert when an American family sat down next to us and were looking at the menu going:

"Oh my God! Look at all these combinations! Salt and vinegar on chips?"

Eventually, one went:

"I've always wanted to try an English roast! But...what's a Yorkshire Pudding?"

To which her (I'm assuming) boyfriend/husband replied, trying to act all smug:

"Oh, it's like a cake thing, with cream"

She responded:

"Ugh...why would they eat that with that?! The English are so weird".

I leaned over and explained before she gave up on the idea of trying a roast, but I realised how hard it is to describe a Yorkshire Pudding to someone who's never had one. I think the description was something along the lines of:

"It's a soft savoury batter, baked in the oven. It rises up as it's cooked."

Great explanation, Cheryl...

Yeah, I gave up trying to describe a Yorkshire pudding to her (I think I went along the lines of it's a batter a bit like a pancake batter but thicker and it rises up at the edges and is savoury) and sent her a link to a Delia recipe. She now loves it. :) They are really hard to explain though as they're something we all take for granted/know.