Should I seek professional HELP?!?

Options
I'm afraid I have an Eating Disorder and I know this is best cured the sooner it's treated.
I've done a few tests online and they all tell me I have an ED, besides that I can also tell you myself that my eating pattern isn't normal.

First of all: I Love FOOD!
But I don't like my body...and ever since I've started trying to lose weight I started disliking food. Not for its taste, but for how it makes me feel when I put it in my mouth. I feel disgusted with myself/my body when I eat, therefor I've started eating less and less...

Some facts
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 130-132 lbs
Highest Weight: 148 lbs (Last Christmas)

I know my body needs food, but since I didn't lose any weight eating 1200 kcal a day I decided it was time for more "restrictions"
Now I'm down to eating as few calories as possible while still kinda eating 3 meals a day.. this comes down to 600-800 kcal a day. Besides that I work out 5 days a week by doing Track and Field(at least 1.5 hours) and most times I add exercise to the weekends too.. When I don't exercise I feel like a failure...

Some things I do that worry me: I use laxatives, I've started purging recently, I try to postpone eating as long as possible (so that I maybe am able to have a previous meal counting as a current meal), I weigh myself every day, I hate eating in front of other people, I know the calories of everything and I'm already planning my meals far ahead of time.

I know I'm going in the wrong direction and I don't want too... I don't wanna end up being a skeleton, I don't wanna end up in the hospital... I used to love eating, but now I'm obsessed with it...especially with how NOT to eat or get rid of it...

The only side of me that's telling me not to post this message is the side of me that knows if this keeps going: I WILL BE SKINNY...

Help Me?...

Replies

• mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, you probably already know the answer. Get some help, you'll feel much better after you do. Are you nervous to go get some help? You won't necessarily end up in the hospital, but you will get the help you need to be healthy!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would seek professional help immediately.
  • NatasPV
    NatasPV Posts: 17
    Options
    If you have to ask, you probably already know the answer. Get some help, you'll feel much better after you do. Are you nervous to go get some help? You won't necessarily end up in the hospital, but you will get the help you need to be healthy!

I feel like I'm not skinny enough to have an ED and that I'm just a poser...
    I keep telling myself I'm fine and that I shouldn't be such a wimp
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

This.

Go now before it gets any worse or harder to manage. Kudos for you recognizing the issue and considering getting help early. That takes serious gusto, and you should be proud of yourself.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

ED has nothing to do with how skinny you are. Being ultra skinny is sometimes a symptom of an ED, not the cause.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

ED's have nothing to do with your size. It's a mental/psychological issue.
  • naner824
    naner824 Posts: 5
    Options
    You should definitely get some help. You are already beautiful, no matter your size! You will feel so much better when you do not feel guilty eating (which sustains life). Please get some help! Good luck!
  • NatasPV
    Options

What I forgot to say: I'm afraid to seek help, because I'm afraid I'll go back to my old eating habits of "Loving Food" and not watch what I eat and just enjoy life...but then I'll gain weight again....

And for some reason I need to have full control...or no control at all and not worry about what I eat. That's how I know I'll go back to "Loving Food" when I seek help...
  • NatasPV
    Options

This.

Go now before it gets any worse or harder to manage. Kudos for you recognizing the issue and considering getting help early. That takes serious gusto, and you should be proud of yourself.

I feel like such a failure...
    I know it's totally wrong but this crossed my mind when I read this: "You can't even have an ED without failing"
    How pathetic am I....
  • Sidesteal
    Options

What I forgot to say: I'm afraid to seek help, because I'm afraid I'll go back to my old eating habits of "Loving Food" and not watch what I eat and just enjoy life...but then I'll gain weight again....

And for some reason I need to have full control...or no control at all and not worry about what I eat. That's how I know I'll go back to "Loving Food" when I seek help...

First of all it's not like you're going to wake up tomorrow as a 400lb tub. Secondly, if that's your actual picture you're already lean and look great.

You're eventually going to need to learn how to eat the "appropriate" amount of food to maintain whatever body composition you desire. Part of that learning process means getting over your disorder because doing the behaviors you're describing will not yield a sexy looking body.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

ED's have nothing to do with your size. It's a mental/psychological issue.

I agree. You can have an ED at any weight. I think you should seek help before it's too late.
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You are not a failure. You deserve to be a healthy size and have a healthy lifestyle. Please seek help! It is a mental issue that you need to get help before it gets worse!
  • fit4evaR
    fit4evaR Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Please please go seek some help. This is not healthy for your body and your long term well being.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think you already know the answer. There are many red flags in your message. I work with some students with eating disorders. It is, by far, the deadliest psychologiical disorder there is. A few of my friends have struggled in the past with a dianosed and treated eating disorder. It's tough, but treatable.

I'm encouraged that you seem to be recognizing it, even if part of you doesn't want to. I hope that you walk to your phone now and call your doctor. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think you need a little help, sweetie. Even if it's not a professional, can you talk to a friend, your mother, a nurse you're comfortable with? You're so young, and I wish I knew this at your age: Be good to your body. Giving your body the healthy, nutritious food and activity it needs is smart; severely restricting yourself and making yourself exercise just to be below 1200 calories is not. You need to find that balance. Diet and exercise should never be about punishing yourself. If you weren't seeing results at 1200 calories, it's because your body wasn't getting enough. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but upping your calories would probably be more effective than lowering them below 1200. I used to think I should never eat after dinner, and I just felt like I went to bed starving some nights. I've loosened up and allowed myself a small snack at night, and I've moved past my plateau. Hang in there, and be well :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? Getting professional help might teach you to find a balance between the two extremes.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

If you get help thought, you may learn how to love food in moderation. It's good to love food, but it's also good to be healthy. Maybe you can find the happy medium.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    You either want to get help or not. The fact that you're asking is a very obvious cry for help in my eyes.

Good luck.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options

You have to make a choice.
    Continue as is and you will likely die at some point from this. I'm being very serious. Eating disorders kill women every day.
    OR
    Get help and risk gaining a little weight.

You need professional help from a psychologist.

Right now.
  • NatasPV
    Options

First of all it's not like you're going to wake up tomorrow as a 400lb tub. Secondly, if that's your actual picture you're already lean and look great.

Yes, that's me.... I know it's not fat...but I also know I'm not happy with how it looks... It keeps me kinda motivated...