Should I seek professional HELP?!?

Options

Replies

• claricecollins
    Options
    Go for help before it gets worse. Take it from personal experience. Once it starts, it's the hardest thing to recover from. I battle it every day because I didn't think I was skinny enough to have an ED either. But it's a mental illness just as well. Stop it now before you spiral out of control. You're worth it.
  • NatasPV
    NatasPV Posts: 17
    Options
    I would seek professional help immediately.

What I forgot to say: I'm afraid to seek help, because I'm afraid I'll go back to my old eating habits of "Loving Food" and not watch what I eat and just enjoy life...but then I'll gain weight again....

And for some reason I need to have full control...or no control at all and not worry about what I eat. That's how I know I'll go back to "Loving Food" when I seek help...

You have to make a choice.
    Continue as is and you will likely die at some point from this. I'm being very serious. Eating disorders kill women every day.
    OR
    Get help and risk gaining a little weight.

You need professional help from a psychologist.

Right now.

You know what's ironic...My mom is a psychologist.
    GUESS WHAT SHE TREATS....
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Your NOT pathetic! You do need help. Good for you for realising and better you do it now before you become really ill physically. Good luck x
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is right. You must seek professional help. I suffered with ED's since I was 9. It is no way to live. I know what you mean about being afraid, but believe me that after all of these years, I have to suffer the consequences of what ED's have done to me. ED's are about control. I can promise you that it has nothing to do with how skinny you are and people who have these will never believe that they have one because they aren't like the others - aren't thin enough, simply don't have an ED, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk or vent. All the best to you. You deserve it.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, you probably already know the answer. Get some help, you'll feel much better after you do. Are you nervous to go get some help? You won't necessarily end up in the hospital, but you will get the help you need to be healthy!

I feel like I'm not skinny enough to have an ED and that I'm just a poser...
    I keep telling myself I'm fine and that I shouldn't be such a wimp

Everyone with an ED started at a healthy weight at some point. Given your current feelings towards food and your weight I would definitely recommend talking with someone about it! Good for you for recognizing potential issues though, HUGE step!! Definitely speak to someone, they can help you find a balance so that things don't get out of control.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Definitely see out professional help! They can help you develop a healthy relationship with food, so that you don't gain too much nor lose too much. The goal of most ED treatments is to develop a healthy view of eating, your body and what you're fueling it with! There is no shame in admitting you need help, the strongest people always know when to ask for help. Don't let pride tell you otherwise!
  • strongandhealthy78
    strongandhealthy78 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes. Here's a place to start:

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/get-help-today/

You are not alone. Help is just a call or click away.

If you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder, we are here to help. Call our toll free, confidential Helpline Monday-Friday, 9:00 am- 5:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time:
    1-800-931-2237. Our helpline volunteers will be there to offer support and guidance with compassion and understanding.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yea that's an eating disorder. Getting professional help is definitely what you want to do. Don't worry, you're not alone. There are doctors who know how to help you out and help you become healthy and strong and comfortable in your own skin. You'll be okay, just get the help you need before this gets any worse, okay?

<3 - Mary
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    130 and 5'10 is skinny, 148 and 5'10 isn't heavy at all. I'm 5'11 and 155 (after losing 35 pounds, and I've never been considered overweight) and honestly I wouldn't want to be much thinner. You need to get help. Loving food isn't a bad thing. You just have to love it in moderation. Excessive workouts and excessive undereating isn't good.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I also recommend talking to a professional. Are you in college? One of the wonderful advantages is that there is often easier access to mental health supports on a college campus. Everyone I have talked to who has sought out counseling services for a number of different issues has had nothing but positive results. I know it can be scary to take the first step, but I am confident you will feel a sense of relief if you give it a chance.
  • MrsT9217
    MrsT9217 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I def think you should go speak to someone... EDs come in all varieties and if you feel like you are heading down the wrong path then its a good idea to get a grasp on it now before it's too late. You will learn how you can change your thoughts and that you shouldnt be so hard on yourself. It's never good to feel alone or like a failure in these situations.. just make sure to be honest with your doctor and yourself... good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You are brave, strong, and smart to be asking about this. Seeking some professional guidance is probably the best approach. Also, coming out to family or close friends may be helpful, as they can give you their support. Although, unfortunately for some, the friends and family do not understand, or even worse, sometimes may contribute to the problem, so follow your instinct on this one.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Short answer: yes.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Definitely seek help before it gets any worse.
  • chandra38
    chandra38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would get help. I never in a million years thought I would ever be diagnosed with an ED, but mine was for Binge Eating and EDNOS. My best friend had to go into treatment last year for Anorexia and Bulimia. She does NOT look like the "typical" anorexic that you see in most articles about it. You'll feel better talking to someone about this, and they will help you get back on the right track!
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    Please get help right now. Don't wait until you do permanent damage to your heart and the rest of your body. Please.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

What I forgot to say: I'm afraid to seek help, because I'm afraid I'll go back to my old eating habits of "Loving Food" and not watch what I eat and just enjoy life...but then I'll gain weight again....

And for some reason I need to have full control...or no control at all and not worry about what I eat. That's how I know I'll go back to "Loving Food" when I seek help...

You have to make a choice.
    Continue as is and you will likely die at some point from this. I'm being very serious. Eating disorders kill women every day.
    OR
    Get help and risk gaining a little weight.

You need professional help from a psychologist.

Right now.

You know what's ironic...My mom is a psychologist.
    GUESS WHAT SHE TREATS....

I'm not sure this is ironic.... this may be a related factor.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

This.

Go now before it gets any worse or harder to manage. Kudos for you recognizing the issue and considering getting help early. That takes serious gusto, and you should be proud of yourself.

This and that. :smile:

It takes a lot of courage and strength to admit you have a problem. That's the biggest hurdle for anyone. Be proud and keep being strong, and get the help you need. *hugs*
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, you probably already know the answer.

^^^ This.

We can support you all you want, but if you're asking the question, then it's time to ask the question of someone who can actually provide you with help. You need a professional, you need them now.

You've recognized the early symptoms and you're brave enough to admit it. Congratulations, you're braver and stronger than most. That means you'll almost certainly come out of this just fine if you get a little assistance.

You don't have to do this alone, it's easier with help.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options

First of all it's not like you're going to wake up tomorrow as a 400lb tub. Secondly, if that's your actual picture you're already lean and look great.

Yes, that's me.... I know it's not fat...but I also know I'm not happy with how it looks... It keeps me kinda motivated...

If you not happy with the way you look, start some toning exercises, but you will need to eat more to support the muscle.

You do have a lot of red flags in your message, please get some help because you will damage your body for the long run if you continue what you are doing.