for heavens sake, I STILL EAT BREAD AND LOSE WEIGHT!

Options

Replies

• tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Carbs are a good source of tryptophan which is the essential amino acid needed to form serotonin. Low serotonin = depression/mood disorders.

Total bunk! Sugar activates the same region of the brain as cocaine. When these regions are activated serotonin levels are increased (body produces it). Imagine how moody a cocaine addict would be without anymore cocaine...

Sex increases serotonin levels, I don't think consuming carbs are involved with that. ;)

But for the record, I eat carbs too, just they come from veggies and fruit!

In fact I just ate 21 grams of carbs with my breakfast and didn't consume any grains, imagine that! All 21 grams came from whole veggies. That works for me, YMMV.

Sugar and cocaine activate the mesolimbic dopamine pathway and have absolutely nothing to do with serotonin. Dopamine is your reward neurotransmitter which works through the ventral tegmental area and the nucleus accumbens to produce that feeling of reward and pleasure.

Further, simple carbs such as bread/pasta pass through the blood brain barrier easier than most sources of tryptophan. A low protein high carb meal is most likely to increase the tryptophan crossing the blood brain barrier because the amino acids present in protein interfere with tryptophan, as they are larger and inhibit tryptophan from crossing the blood brain barrier.

So no it's not total bunk that eating carbs increases tryptophan in the brain which is needed to form serotonin.

Also, the majority of your serotonin in your body is within your gut and is important for digestion.
    just thought I'd mention that bread and pasta are complex carbs, not simple carbs if one is inclinded to think it makes a difference.

Sorry, I misspoke on the simple carbs, it should have said complex carbs.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Carbs are a good source of tryptophan which is the essential amino acid needed to form serotonin.

You made me go research Tryptophan. +1 on that. Your statement is misleading. I will copy a section from Wiki....
    Tryptophan is a routine constituent of most protein-based foods or dietary proteins. It is particularly plentiful in chocolate, oats, dried dates, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, red meat, eggs, fish, poultry, sesame, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, corn, spirulina, bananas, and peanuts.

You are right, it is a carb! Just the source is not really grains in general as discussed through-out this thread. That being said, I eat plenty of meat, dairy, nuts, and seeds. No worries here!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I started on Feb 20th 2012 and I eat meat, veggies, and occasionally fruit and I am down 26lbs. I DON'T eat grains or processed sugars.

Oh, I don't binge, I don't have cravings anymore, and I am enjoying life! AND I don't have to do chronic cardio to lose weight. Just saying.

:love: :love: :love: :love:
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I started on Feb 20th 2012 and I eat meat, veggies, and occasionally fruit and I am down 26lbs. I DON'T eat grains or processed sugars.

Oh, I don't binge, I don't have cravings anymore, and I am enjoying life! AND I don't have to do chronic cardio to lose weight. Just saying.

:love: :love: :love: :love:

Yes!!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    At the moment there is a supply problem with the gluten free bread I get from my doctors and have gone without for the last six weeks. I have also lost weight in those six weeks but i know its down to not having two massive bacon and humus sandwiches every day. I still get my carbs and when my bread does come available I will be having sandwiches but not the calorie loaded bacon and humus ones. i think that it is often what we eat with the carbs that can also cause weight gain - pasta with a cheese and cream sauce will contain lots of calories and fat but the pasta itself should be low fat.
  • 10KEyes
    Options
    At the moment there is a supply problem with the gluten free bread I get from my doctors and have gone without for the last six weeks. I have also lost weight in those six weeks but i know its down to not having two massive bacon and humus sandwiches every day. I still get my carbs and when my bread does come available I will be having sandwiches but not the calorie loaded bacon and humus ones. i think that it is often what we eat with the carbs that can also cause weight gain - pasta with a cheese and cream sauce will contain lots of calories and fat but the pasta itself should be low fat.

I would ditch it all and eat the bacon with some sliced tomato and scrambled eggs. LOL
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    That sounds good but I'll have to ditch the eggs cos I'm also allergic to them - maybe some grilled mushrooms instead.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    I just don't understand why people think that everyone is the same. If something works for one person, it won't necessarily work someone else!!
    same goes the other way - I don't understand how are some people so sure that food used for thousands and thousands of years, by billions of people, is is suddenly 'poisonous' for everyone.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    some people need to cut out these foods for health reasons and don't even realize it. I had accepted that diarrhea, bloating, and chronic gas were just a part of normal digestion. Well, they aren't and gluten was the cause for me. Everyone comes in and bashes people when they talk about gluten free eating, but it helps many, many people regain their health. Have you tried it or read about it? Also, grain free isn't low carb, please stop confusing the two.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread, rice, and pasta. I generally try to make sure it's whole grain, but that's also largely because I like it more. I do appreciate a good, fresh, crusty french bread though, even if it's made with white flour.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Great job! I feel the same was eating that way :)
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've cut down quite a bit on bread but I replaced it with Ryvita Snack Bread which is somewhat like Melba toast (but MUCH better)
    Six slices is only 120 cals and it's nice and filling.
  • 10KEyes
    Options
    same goes the other way - I don't understand how are some people so sure that food used for thousands and thousands of years, by billions of people, is is suddenly 'poisonous' for everyone.

Grain's importance in diet didn't become anything significant until humans became farmers. Grain's rise in popularity wasn't because of it's "superb" nutritional value, it was because it could be stored and transported for long periods of time, it could sustain a community during a drought or terrible growing season. Aside from being carbohydrate dense, grains offer nothing to the human body that cannot be found in more abundance in vegetables.

So yes you are right, humans have consumed it for thousands of years, but it isn't because of some extraordinary nutritional value, it was simply the ability to grow it, store it, and consume it in bulk, cheaply! However, IMO in nutritional value, it ranks right up there just above candy.
  • coolteenager101
    coolteenager101 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat rice/bread=Carbs everyday and I still lose weight.
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I eat bread almost every day! Is delicious!
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I eat rice/bread=Carbs everyday and I still lose weight.

Same
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why people think that everyone is the same. If something works for one person, it won't necessarily work someone else!!
    What food is that?
  • zhanaolivia
    zhanaolivia Posts: 65
    Options
    I eat bread but I make sure it is the 35 calorie a slice kind. I am trying to only eat 1200 calories so this bread fills me up. I think it is unrealistic to think you can cut bread out all together.

Holy crap, you can actually get 35 calorie a slice bread??? There must be a catch! Where can I get this! I've been cutting out bread just because it's about 130 cals a slice, and I miss it to death.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    same goes the other way - I don't understand how are some people so sure that food used for thousands and thousands of years, by billions of people, is suddenly 'poisonous' for everyone.
    What food is that?
    wheat.
    btw, I responded to your question from the other day, about metabolism. (I think it's on page 10)
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I went no carb for awhile. I was tired all. the. time.
    yeah, I need me some bread, oatmeal and rice once in awhile.