for heavens sake, I STILL EAT BREAD AND LOSE WEIGHT!

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    And I used to be able to lose weight and eat eat carbs too.... looking at your photos most of the posters on here are young. When you are over 50 (and particularly when you are female) you may well find that it is a very different story.

Just bear that in mind for the next 20 years or so!
    BINGO!
    DITTO!!!

Very good point! So true!
    True to a point. I'm 59 and have reduced by body fat to around 11% and lost 40 lbs. Mind you I do exercise and lift weights. our metabolisms do slow down and we don't move very much and expect miracles when we drop some calories to lose weight........it isn't easy and we need a plan to succeed, but it can be done, and i've been eating carbs , pasta, bread doing it.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This has been stated, and I stated it in another thread, if there is no biological need, then why does breastmilk have carbs? It's 37% carbs, which isn't terribly high, but it isn't zero either.

The sugar in breast milk is there for the quick uptake of energy, no? BTW, babies can get fat pretty quick on breast milk!

Using your analogy, are we supposed to not drink milk once being weened from the breast? Technically I believe so, but I thought I would throw that out there too.
  • cmgt7
    cmgt7 Posts: 4
    Options
    Others have responded more scientifically to the misinformation on the science of breast milk, I would just like to add that I have breastfed three children over the course of the past four years, and I am here to tell you that if I don't eat carbs, I don't produce milk. And, in fact, the more I eat complex carbohydrates (think steel cut oats, brown & wild rice, etc.), the more milk I produce.
  • mzbehaven1
    mzbehaven1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing - if you can eat bread and grains in moderation and loose weight - great don't give it up...works for you...

BUT there are some people where cutting carbs from grain sources (bread, pasta, crackers, etc...) actually helps in weight loss...

I spent a lot of time watching my calories and such...and I lost a little here and there - once I started watching my CARBS and cut out bread and other grain carb sources (I still eat carbs - just from fruits and veggies - I just keep it to under 100 grams a day) I actively lost weight...

I get so freakin tired of god forbid someone posts about having slow weight loss and watching thier calories and not seeing really much of anything on the scale...and I suggest they might want to look at decreasing their intake of carbs and I get jumped on...I know what works for me and if it works for me - it may work for others...so just because you can eat bread and pasta and loose weight doesn't mean everyone can...

AMEN SISTER! too many mean posts because someone says something about "low carb" I get my carbs from fruit and veggies. I can't eat wheat products....
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    OMG ..Not another "Carb or Not to Carb Thread"....Why Ole Why My Lord..
  • Wouga
    Wouga Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well I've never been a huge bread fan, but I did just eat a plate of pasta for lunch and I rarely go a day without my skinny cow ice cream bar. But honestly, if I never ate bread again I'd be ok with that...just don't take away my pasta!!! With that being said, I lose at least 1, if not 2, pounds a week and for the most part don't feel as though I'm deprived of anything...except brownies...sometimes I feel deprived of brownies. Lol
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This has been stated, and I stated it in another thread, if there is no biological need, then why does breastmilk have carbs? It's 37% carbs, which isn't terribly high, but it isn't zero either.

The sugar in breast milk is there for the quick uptake of energy, no? BTW, babies can get fat pretty quick on breast milk!

Using your analogy, are we supposed to not drink milk once being weened from the breast? Technically I believe so, but I thought I would throw that out there too.

The rate of weight gain for a breast fed baby decreases after 6 months. Many peds get upset the the child appears to no longer be gaining, but when a WHO chart is used, then the percent is different.

I am not sure what drinking milk has to do with eating carbs. My point was that if the body was designed not to have carbs, then it wouldn't be present in breastmilk.
  • WeightHacker
    WeightHacker Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    seen a lot of posts lately regarding "whole grain/wheat" bread/brown rice.. and such.. I am not understand why alot of people choose to cut them out COMPLETELY... I have lost weight with still eating bread, at a deficit.. eating healthy and working out...

please tell me I am not the only one? share YOUR success so we can put the "bad carbs" posts to rest!

gotta remember, some people lose more weight eating less carbs then others
    so obviously your body adapt to carbs better.
    the more carbs the better.

for me, if i had to much carbs i actually gain weight.

white bread isnt the best choice
    so whole wheat/whole grains brown rice and etc, are the best :3 trust me i enjoy every moment, i have these tasty things. i cant let go of them. but i need to watch my carbs to make sure they dont go over to much.
    im still losing weight while i eat these things.

its just how the body react to them.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    And I used to be able to lose weight and eat eat carbs too.... looking at your photos most of the posters on here are young. When you are over 50 (and particularly when you are female) you may well find that it is a very different story.

BINGO!
    DITTO!!!

True to a point. I'm 59 and have reduced by body fat to around 11% and lost 40 lbs. Mind you I do exercise and lift weights. our metabolisms do slow down and we don't move very much and expect miracles when we drop some calories to lose weight........it isn't easy and we need a plan to succeed, but it can be done, and i've been eating carbs , pasta, bread doing it.
    well observed. If slowing of the metabolism is what makes you 'hard to lose while eating carbs when you are old' I should be obese by now. I have very low basal metabolism (30% less than expected for my age/sex/weight/height) which has no effect on my weight/diet.
  • 10KEyes
    Options
    I am not sure what drinking milk has to do with eating carbs. My point was that if the body was designed not to have carbs, then it wouldn't be present in breastmilk.

I don't think anyone is saying that the body is not designed for carbs. The body is very efficient at metabolizing the carbs as well as fats. However, there is more energy in Fat hence it is 9 calories per gram as opposed to 4 calories per gram that a carb is.

However, too much of anything even good things are bad. Even too much water can become a real emergency and I think that is what this discussion is about. The calorie dense processed carb food, vs the natural carb density of fruit and veggies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

BINGO!
    DITTO!!!

well observed. If slowing of the metabolism is what makes you 'hard to lose while eating carbs when you are old' I should be obese by now. I have very low basal metabolism (30% less than expected for my age/sex/weight/height) which has no effect on my weight/diet.
    You're saying the metabolism doesn't slow? Or that a slow metabolism doesn't make it hard for everyone to lose weight? You get that your slow metabolism might be a tad different than that of someone who's 50, right?
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone is saying that the body is not designed for carbs. The body is very efficient at metabolizing the carbs as well as fats. However, there is more energy in Fat hence it is 9 calories per gram as opposed to 4 calories per gram that a carb is.

However, too much of anything even good things are bad. Even too much water can become a real emergency and I think that is what this discussion is about. The calorie dense processed carb food, vs the natural carb density of fruit and veggies.

The only thing I am responding to in reference to carbs is: Page 5 "Sorry, but untrue. There is no biological need for carbs."

Again, I feel that if there were no biological need for carbs, then it wouldn't be present in breastmilk. I feel the same way about fat.

If you don't want to eat grains, then so be it. I enjoy my nightly drink, pasta, bread, beans, and currently an ice cream sandwich. Considering I am 32, had 3 children in less than 2.5 years, 5ft, 104 lbs with excellent health I think I am doing well.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options

BINGO!
    DITTO!!!

You're saying the metabolism doesn't slow? Or that a slow metabolism doesn't make it hard for everyone to lose weight? You get that your slow metabolism might be a tad different than that of someone who's 50, right?
    where did I say that metabolism doesn't slow? :)
    I'm saying metabolism itself is something that people use as an excuse a bit too much (read here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18070743)
    my RMR (resting metabolic rate, basically BMR + what I burn digesting the last night dinner) is 1037 cal per day. That's about 400cal less then what is predicted by equations. I honestly don't know from the top of my head how much BMR drops with age, some articles are saying on average 2% per every 10 years after the age of 20 (but I can't find where did they get their number from). That would mean that I have much slower BMR than many 50y old? I don't know what you mean by saying "it's different" - low BMR is low BMR :)
    There are many other factors to consider here - atrophy of muscle mass with age, decrease of digesting system function and so on. this all means that you have to work harder (coz you are burning less during, say, cardio) or reduce calorie intake even further, where then cutting on carbs seem to be the only thing that works due to the fact that carb based food tend to be very energy dense. But simplifying things down to "you can eat carbs and lose weight just because you are young" is simply unsupported and doesn't look at the whole picture.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've been eating whole grains and carbs the entire time... still losing weight... funny how that happens.
  • SJSharksChick
    SJSharksChick Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was 200+lbs, I'm down to 135, because of a healthy diet and exercise.

& this included carbs!

I'm an Italian gal that would die w/o her pastas :tongue:

I honestly feel bad for anyone that thinks they can't incorporate such yumminess into their "diets".
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sorry
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Carbs are necessary for proper brain funtion. Carbs are your bodies energy.
    Want poor brain function and low energy.... skip the carbs. :/

Sorry, but untrue. There is no biological need for carbs.

Carbs are a good source of tryptophan which is the essential amino acid needed to form serotonin. Low serotonin = depression/mood disorders. This is why so many people crave carbs when they are unhappy or during the winter with seasonal affective disorder and why people on Atkins or low carb diets can report being so moody.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    Dude I eat like 4 slices of bread a day and I'm doing fine.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Most of the carbs I have in my diet are from veges, but I still eat bread too. I have burgen bread toasted for breakfast. 1 or 2 slices. Delicious!!
  • 10KEyes
    Options
    Carbs are a good source of tryptophan which is the essential amino acid needed to form serotonin. Low serotonin = depression/mood disorders.

Total bunk! Sugar activates the same region of the brain as cocaine. When these regions are activated serotonin levels are increased (body produces it). Imagine how moody a cocaine addict would be without anymore cocaine...

Sex increases serotonin levels, I don't think consuming carbs are involved with that. ;)

But for the record, I eat carbs too, just they come from veggies and fruit!

In fact I just ate 21 grams of carbs with my breakfast and didn't consume any grains, imagine that! All 21 grams came from whole veggies. That works for me, YMMV.