for heavens sake, I STILL EAT BREAD AND LOSE WEIGHT!

Options

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I <3 carbs.

I take issue with any diet that tells you that you can't eat something as basic as bread and potatoes. People have eaten those for more generations than I care to think about without suffering from an obesity crisis so carbs clearly aren't the problem - people being lazy now is.
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    And I used to be able to lose weight and eat eat carbs too.... looking at your photos most of the posters on here are young. When you are over 50 (and particularly when you are female) you may well find that it is a very different story.

Just bear that in mind for the next 20 years or so!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Before MFP, I would live off bread, rice, pasta, noodles, etc. and I went from 145lb to 123lb. I never kept track of how many calories I was consuming or how much I burnt. I did this for like 4 or 5 months I think and it wasn't that hard. I wasn't as restrictive as I am now and I was doing really well. People could see a difference in my face, my overall build and my chest was strong (I did push ups everyday).

I still eat those carbs because if I didn't, it would be too expensive to keep feeding me lol. I still live with my parents and they pay for the shopping and they aren't going to go out of there way to buy more protein rich foods on top of what they normally buy. I do pay towards the little things I have, but too be honest, they don't eat unhealthy meals anyway so the protein is there anyway.

If I workout and do cardio, pretty sure eating carbs isn't going to hurt my progress. I don't think there is anyway someone could keep up a no/low carb diet for the rest of there lives. They will most likely put it back on as soon as they go back to the carbs, but it's all about incorporating healthier options and living with it instead of avoiding everything, you might think it's healthy, but mentally it will probably make you loopy.
  • aleexFIT
    aleexFIT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I eat ~200g carbs a day (wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta, potatoes, noodles, porridge) and have lost 60lb. I literally could not go without carbs, when I try cutting them out I get so cold and hungry.

Yes I understand I'm still young and may be lucky that my metabolism allows me to do this - BUT, if I had cut out carbs, it would not be attainable for me. I think those "no-carb" diets are extremely stupid because it's unattainable to keep up and eventually you will go back to your old ways.

Instead I am now a LOT healthier and happier and it has been a lifestyle change for me, I can still have my carbs.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    seen a lot of posts lately regarding "whole grain/wheat" bread/brown rice.. and such.. I am not understand why alot of people choose to cut them out COMPLETELY... I have lost weight with still eating bread, at a deficit.. eating healthy and working out...

please tell me I am not the only one? share YOUR success so we can put the "bad carbs" posts to rest!

Because they make me ill.

Congratulations on your gut which can deal with them. You must be so proud.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I love bread! I love rice! I love sweet potato! I love PASTA.

I love carbs <3
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Not so much bread, but I do eat russet potatoes nearly every day :D
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 slice of rye bread a week and 3 slices of Ezekiel bread weekly. Yes I LOVE bread and I try to stick to gluten free bread. Have to keep giving your body carbs, but you have to manage exactly how many it gets.
  • steviegreeks
    steviegreeks Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just ate a gold lindt bunny :) Have lost 6kg (13lbs??) since Jan!! Eat bread everyday too!!
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I <3 carbs.

I take issue with any diet that tells you that you can't eat something as basic as bread and potatoes. People have eaten those for more generations than I care to think about without suffering from an obesity crisis so carbs clearly aren't the problem - people being lazy now is.

it's not only people being lazy.
    it's people eating processed, chemical crap and not eating real food.

processed carbs, sugar and large portions are part of the problem. don't just put it down to people being lazy.
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I eat bread! I eat lots of carbs... and see my ticker... I have lost a nice amount of weight already!
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    seen a lot of posts lately regarding "whole grain/wheat" bread/brown rice.. and such.. I am not understand why alot of people choose to cut them out COMPLETELY... I have lost weight with still eating bread, at a deficit.. eating healthy and working out...

please tell me I am not the only one? share YOUR success so we can put the "bad carbs" posts to rest!

Because they make me ill.

Congratulations on your gut which can deal with them. You must be so proud.

this ^^
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't really have bread often, just because I tend to prefer cooked meals throughout the day, and bread doesn't really go with much apart from a sandwich or toast.

I do however love pasta & rice. I will have those every single day (seriously!) Most of the time I'll have both in one day, or at least pasta. I used to have white of both, but now I have wholemeal pasta as it's better fibre & protein and I do like the taste. I hate brown rice though so I just stick to white.
    I eat around 200-300g of carbs a day.

Still losing, because I'm in a calorie deficit :happy: :drinker:
  • ebh2217
    ebh2217 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree. There are good carbs and bad carbs. I also am trying to eat only 1200 a day. How do you do it?
  • LauraCR1990
    LauraCR1990 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    snap! i eat carbs all the time and have lost 38lbs! :smile:
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    ah, scr*w it! I thought I'd stay away but I'm not sleepy enough.
    Most people that don’t eat grains have done extensive research on the biochemistry of the body and the metabolic pathways of carbs, protein, and fat.
    judging by these boards that's hardly true.
    But weight loss doesn’t make you healthy.
    suggesting that something that generations and generations and cultures and cultures have been using for centuries is making everyone sick is a bit...long stretch.
    Eggs and uncured bacon taste so much better than some nasty dried out toast or a bowl of oatmeal. And I would have to eat four bowls of oatmeal to get the protein from 4oz of meat.
    you know what tastes the best? chicken liver deep fried in pig lard and then dipping freshly baked WHITE bread into that same fat (after you've finished that liver, that is) - there's nothing better! my mouth water now only thinking about it. that's the breakfast I grow up on. yeah breakfast, you can only imagine what other meals are like. Check out my profile pic - that's 400g to 500g white bread every day, for years and years (plus all the other carbs loaded during the day in a country where bakeries are number 1 fast food sellers). And this not N=1, no, there is no obesity problem where I'm coming from.
    Mother’s Milk: mostly saturated fat with some protein and a little bit of glucose.
    others already responded to this.
    And replacing fat and protein (which are used for more than just an energy source – both are used for cellular repair and maintenance and not energy – should we count those calories since a calorie is just a unit of energy and those portions aren’t being used for energy) with something that is just an energy source?
    with something that is a PREFERRED energy source - yes, what's the problem?
    The brain is 70% fat.
    :huh: ? what do you mean? are you counting lipids in cell membranes?
    N=1. Removing grains and legumes were pure experiment for me and I got the shock of my life.
    great, but what if you were mildly intolerant and never found out? I think that's a more likely explanation than declaring food traditionally used by billions of people 'poisonous'.
    And I don’t have to eat every few hours since a few eggs and some bacon will fill me up for about 6 hours (not a peep of hunger).
    so? the other day I had my favourite 'extremely high carbs-very high fat-some protein' meal and didn't feel a peep of hunger for 12h. what does that prove?
    The USDA guidelines are based on politics and scientific fraud. Do you really think the government cares about our health? They don’t. And the FDA is a product of the government.
    Neither USDA nor FDA, and not even the American government, invented the world - it's been going on for quite some time now :). There are culture out there that eat high carb diet, there are cultures out there that eat high fat diet. There are cultures out there where bread/pasta/name it is the alpha and omega of their cuisine. Interestingly, these cultures do not seem to have American obesity problems (here, I'm willing to bet on more active lifestyle).
    If you love what you’re doing then keep doing it. But don’t knock other people for not believing in the conventional wisdom and decided to figure things out on their own.
    so all of us who don't buy into paleo craze are just following conventional wisdom, being too lazy or too stupid to do our own research? :) sorry, but you make a statement like this and then wonder why people 'hate low carbers'.
    And I'm not trying to start an argument or debate. just some info to research and think about.
    there's a lot of info out there to think about. :) one could be for example: how comes that some cultures who eat high carb-high fat diet don't have obesity related problems?
    he has a great blog and I really enjoyed his series on human evolution and on nature of hunger. but when it comes to promoting certain diet he does the same thing like many ppl here - speaks as if the world has started some 30 years ago, in North America. :happy:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

I eat two slices of bread everyday, because I take a sandwich to work, I've been losing weight fine on it.

I did cut bread out completely in September 2011 to see if that would have any impact on weightloss, for me, it did not, however, I got the idea from somebody at work who did cut it out and shifted the pounds.

I guess what suits some people does not necessarily suit everybody.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    And I used to be able to lose weight and eat eat carbs too.... looking at your photos most of the posters on here are young. When you are over 50 (and particularly when you are female) you may well find that it is a very different story.

Just bear that in mind for the next 20 years or so!
    BINGO!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Good for you.

However, if eating bread, brown rice, other grains cause any type of bloating and / or gas and such there is an intolerance of some level there and it is best to cut them out.

No need to eat stuff that makes you feel sick or uncomfortable.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options

Good for you.

However, if eating bread, brown rice, other grains cause any type of bloating and / or gas and such there is an intolerance of some level there and it is best to cut them out.

No need to eat stuff that makes you feel sick or uncomfortable.
    isn't that really just a common sense? :smile: