for heavens sake, I STILL EAT BREAD AND LOSE WEIGHT!

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    People love a good "quick fix fad diet." However, it is important to also remember that there are some people who, like me, can eat bread but it must be gluten free due to intolerances.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Down 16 while still eating carbs.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    But, but, but I saw a study once by the meat industry that said carbs are bad and you should only eat beef.

Moooo. Eat mor Chiken

A moderated carb strategy worked well for me. I suppose the key word in the sentence is moderated. There is a lot of science on both sides of the aisle. In short, finding a dietary strategy that matches your lifestyle and keeps you to goals is the one that works for you. There is no right and wrong here on this subject.

Warm freshly baked french bread at a fine restaurant, yes, please, with olive oil.
    Wonder "Bread" et al. with fillers and preservatives, No thank you.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    That's great for you guys. I mean wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all do the same thing and get the same result?

the thing is, I was plateaued for two and half YEARS. That's right. YEARS. A few months ago I started a modified paleo diet (meaning I have a limited amount of cow and goat's dairy) and I have actually lost weight. Finally. So do you really think that bread, pasta and pizza are worth it to me to eat again?

And guess what, I've found replacements for just about everything. I don't miss it, I don't crave it, I feel better, more alert but also sleeping better. I think I'll stick with this plan.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    seen a lot of posts lately regarding "whole grain/wheat" bread/brown rice.. and such.. I am not understand why alot of people choose to cut them out COMPLETELY... I have lost weight with still eating bread, at a deficit.. eating healthy and working out...

please tell me I am not the only one? share YOUR success so we can put the "bad carbs" posts to rest!

Drama time! (not you, just the inevitable discussion this is going to invoke!) I'd get a bowl of popcorn to watch the festivities but I have few spare calories today. :laugh:

The beauty is that there are many, many ways to lose weight, and the human body can adapt (to a lesser or greater extent) to a variety of energy sources. Millions of years of adaptive evolution have left us with all these tools to deal with all these different foods.

You can lose weight by cutting out carbohydrates, you can lose weight by cutting out fat, and you can lose weight by cutting out protein. ANYTHING that brings the number of calories you ABSORB AND PROCESS below the number of calories you burn will cause you to lose weight. It's simple math.

If you eat a pretty typical modern American diet, you are currently eating a balance of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. It's probably a little too high in refined sugar because, well, that's what we Americans like to eat. Any diet plan should include restricting refined sugars and replacing them with calories that will fill you up better and come associated with valuable nutrients. But the point is, this is what your body is probably used to eating.

You can, and many people do, convert to an extremely-low-carb diet rich in fats and especially proteins. Optimal brain function requires a few carbohydrates, but you can tune them down a lot and focus on the complex ones that are best for brain. It's a whole other realm of eating with its own rules (breaking down proteins for energy involves different processes than breaking down carbs, for example, and you have to support those processes with slightly different nutrient levels and lots of water). But it can be done, and once the conversion is complete you'll do fine as long as you stick with a working nutrition plan (which is true of any source of calories).

You can, and many people do, convert to an extremely-low-fat diet rich in complex carbohydrates and proteins. Again, there are nutritional requirements associated with such diets.

But, of course, there are also a number of people who have found the diet that their body likes or is most compatible with their personal preferences who will assure you that any other diet will cause your lower intestines to emerge, "Alien"-like, from your abdomen and slowly strangle you in your sleep. Hence the fun of threads like this. :drinker:
  • Poynterina
    Poynterina Posts: 8
    Options
    Well, I think I would kill myself without carbs!
    I eat pasta everyday at lunch, and bread everyday. And sometimes I eat pizza twice or even three times a week. I love potatoes.
    I've lost 18kg (almost 40lbs) with workout and more vegetables in my diet. And carbs with moderation ;)
    I can't imagine my life without carbs. I just can't say no to a slice of thready pizza. And almost nothing makes me feel fuller and gives me more energy than pasta.

(Sorry for my English, my first language is Italian)
  • cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I eat wheat and whole grain bread, high fiber varieties, and also brown rice and sometimes even white potatoes (shutter!) lol

Usually the red bliss baby potatoes because I can regulate the serving size better... and, I like them!
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad cuz I can't eat bread anymore. And I'm part French. How sad is that! Glad you all are enjoying them though!!!
  • InIt2WinIt
    InIt2WinIt Posts: 68
    Options
    I have been told by my trainer that cutting out carbs completely is absolutely ridiculous -- she says carbs are what gives your body fuel, we need them to sustain a healthy lifestyle!

I indulge in brown rice, whole wheat bread, quinoa, & white or red skin potatoes etc & I managed to clock a 13 lb weight loss last month, so I promote eating carbs all day everyday b/c a professional certified personal trainer told me too! :-)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://www.gnolls.org/2052/how-heart-healthy-whole-grains-make-us-fat/

http://www.gnolls.org/905/mechanisms-of-sugar-addiction-or-why-youre-addicted-to-bread/
    http://www.gnolls.org/989/adjacent-to-this-complete-breakfast-kicking-your-cereal-addiction-consider-eating-the-box-instead/

http://www.gnolls.org/1029/fat-and-glycemic-index-the-myth-of-complex-carbohydrates/

Most people that don’t eat grains have done extensive research on the biochemistry of the body and the metabolic pathways of carbs, protein, and fat. I’ve done the weight loss thing both ways. Weight loss was similar but removing grains and increasing my healthy animal fats gave me back my health and I got a flat belly for the first time in my life. P90X didn’t even do that for me (I was told I had to lift weight to burn belly fat – nope!). I wanted long-term health, not short-term weight loss.
    If you restrict calories and increase exercise you will lose weight no matter what you remove (remember the Twinkie Diet?). But weight loss doesn’t make you healthy.
    Since the majority of carbs eaten are just converted to saturated fat by the body (the body only needs so much glucose – after that it all becomes fat since fat is the preferred fuel and we have unlimited storage (the body can only process so much protein in a day, too), I decided to forgo the carbs (in the form of grains, legumes and sugar) and just eat the fat. Eggs and uncured bacon taste so much better than some nasty dried out toast or a bowl of oatmeal. And I would have to eat four bowls of oatmeal to get the protein from 4oz of meat.
    Even a portion of the vegetable fiber we eat is converted into fat (short chain fats) by our gut bacteria. Even excess protein will be converted to fat and stored. Mother’s Milk: mostly saturated fat with some protein and a little bit of glucose. That is what is needed for a growing human body.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz1tk51lcO2
    And replacing fat and protein (which are used for more than just an energy source – both are used for cellular repair and maintenance and not energy – should we count those calories since a calorie is just a unit of energy and those portions aren’t being used for energy) with something that is just an energy source?
    The brain is 70% fat. Breast milk is mostly fat. Protein and carbs are converted to fat in the body.
    N=1. Removing grains and legumes were pure experiment for me and I got the shock of my life. I got my health back at 41 years old (not to mention 12lbs below the lowest weight I have seen as an adult) while everyone around me is going downhill - following the SAD. No tracking calories, carbs, fat, anything. I don’t have to track anything. And I don’t have to eat every few hours since a few eggs and some bacon will fill me up for about 6 hours (not a peep of hunger). And this is from eating about 70% of my calories as fat. (Only in the form of coconut oil, butter, olive oil, avocado oil, and any animal fat from meats).
    The USDA guidelines are based on politics and scientific fraud. Do you really think the government cares about our health? They don’t. And the FDA is a product of the government.

If you love what you’re doing then keep doing it. But don’t knock other people for not believing in the conventional wisdom and decided to figure things out on their own.

And the brain can also run on ketones (a by-product of your body using its own fat for fuel) and the heart actually runs more efficiently on ketones. The brain can also use L-glutamine (an amino acid) as fuel.

And I'm not trying to start an argument or debate. just some info to research and think about.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I love whole-grain water best - esp sam adams
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I eat food. That includes whole grain breads, brown rice, etc. I don't eat heavily processed Wonder "bread" that has a bizarre non-bread chemicals in it. :-)

I recently found out one of my favorite restaurants added high fructose corn syrup to their bread AND their honey. They aren't my favorite restaurant any more. :smile:
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Down 17 lbs and counting, I've never cut my carbs.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Mother’s Milk: mostly saturated fat with some protein and a little bit of glucose. That is what is needed for a growing human body.

Well that's not correct! It's full of carbs, and lactose is the main carb in milk. Foremilk is released at the beginning of the feed and that's quite watery and thirst quenching, and it's high in carbs. Then hindmilk comes later which is thicker and richer and higher in fat, and satisfies the baby's hunger more. Only carb hater propaganda would claim that breastmilk is a low carb food!

Here we go: nutritional data of breastmilk http://nutrition.asetts.org.au/resources/Element-4-3-FactSheet-27.pdf

7% lactose (carbohydrate), 3.8% fat, 0.9% protein, 88% water and if we remove the water, it's still not "mostly saturated fat with some protein and a little bit of glucose" it's "mostly lactose, with some fat and a little bit of protein"
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Mother’s Milk: mostly saturated fat with some protein and a little bit of glucose. That is what is needed for a growing human body.

Well that's not correct! It's full of carbs, and lactose is the main carb in milk. Foremilk is released at the beginning of the feed and that's quite watery and thirst quenching, and it's high in carbs. Then hindmilk comes later which is thicker and richer and higher in fat, and satisfies the baby's hunger more. Only carb hater propaganda would claim that breastmilk is a low carb food!

Here we go: nutritional data of breastmilk http://nutrition.asetts.org.au/resources/Element-4-3-FactSheet-27.pdf

7% lactose (carbohydrate), 3.8% fat, 0.9% protein, 88% water and if we remove the water, it's still not "mostly saturated fat with some protein and a little bit of glucose" it's "mostly lactose, with some fat and a little bit of protein"

You got a lot further than me. I stopped reading after this bit of nonsense.
    Most people that don’t eat grains have done extensive research on the biochemistry of the body and the metabolic pathways of carbs, protein, and fat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That's great for you guys. I mean wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all do the same thing and get the same result?

the thing is, I was plateaued for two and half YEARS. That's right. YEARS. A few months ago I started a modified paleo diet (meaning I have a limited amount of cow and goat's dairy) and I have actually lost weight. Finally. So do you really think that bread, pasta and pizza are worth it to me to eat again?

And guess what, I've found replacements for just about everything. I don't miss it, I don't crave it, I feel better, more alert but also sleeping better. I think I'll stick with this plan.
    Good for you! I wonder if age has something to do with it? After 40 or so I found that I had to eat fewer grains to maintain. All things being equal.
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    By the way, you can get carbs by not eating grains. They are not the be all and end all of carbohydrates. I don't judge people for eating bread or pasta or whatever (food, real food) so why judge others if NOT eating grains works for them.
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options

Good for you! I wonder if age has something to do with it? After 40 or so I found that I had to eat fewer grains to maintain. All things being equal.

well I am 43 :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://www.gnolls.org/2052/how-heart-healthy-whole-grains-make-us-fat/

http://www.gnolls.org/905/mechanisms-of-sugar-addiction-or-why-youre-addicted-to-bread/
    http://www.gnolls.org/989/adjacent-to-this-complete-breakfast-kicking-your-cereal-addiction-consider-eating-the-box-instead/

http://www.gnolls.org/1029/fat-and-glycemic-index-the-myth-of-complex-carbohydrates/

Most people that don’t eat grains have done extensive research on the biochemistry of the body and the metabolic pathways of carbs, protein, and fat. I’ve done the weight loss thing both ways. Weight loss was similar but removing grains and increasing my healthy animal fats gave me back my health and I got a flat belly for the first time in my life. P90X didn’t even do that for me (I was told I had to lift weight to burn belly fat – nope!). I wanted long-term health, not short-term weight loss.
    If you restrict calories and increase exercise you will lose weight no matter what you remove (remember the Twinkie Diet?). But weight loss doesn’t make you healthy.
    Since the majority of carbs eaten are just converted to saturated fat by the body (the body only needs so much glucose – after that it all becomes fat since fat is the preferred fuel and we have unlimited storage (the body can only process so much protein in a day, too), I decided to forgo the carbs (in the form of grains, legumes and sugar) and just eat the fat. Eggs and uncured bacon taste so much better than some nasty dried out toast or a bowl of oatmeal. And I would have to eat four bowls of oatmeal to get the protein from 4oz of meat.
    Even a portion of the vegetable fiber we eat is converted into fat (short chain fats) by our gut bacteria. Even excess protein will be converted to fat and stored. Mother’s Milk: mostly saturated fat with some protein and a little bit of glucose. That is what is needed for a growing human body.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz1tk51lcO2
    And replacing fat and protein (which are used for more than just an energy source – both are used for cellular repair and maintenance and not energy – should we count those calories since a calorie is just a unit of energy and those portions aren’t being used for energy) with something that is just an energy source?
    The brain is 70% fat. Breast milk is mostly fat. Protein and carbs are converted to fat in the body.
    N=1. Removing grains and legumes were pure experiment for me and I got the shock of my life. I got my health back at 41 years old (not to mention 12lbs below the lowest weight I have seen as an adult) while everyone around me is going downhill - following the SAD. No tracking calories, carbs, fat, anything. I don’t have to track anything. And I don’t have to eat every few hours since a few eggs and some bacon will fill me up for about 6 hours (not a peep of hunger). And this is from eating about 70% of my calories as fat. (Only in the form of coconut oil, butter, olive oil, avocado oil, and any animal fat from meats).
    The USDA guidelines are based on politics and scientific fraud. Do you really think the government cares about our health? They don’t. And the FDA is a product of the government.

If you love what you’re doing then keep doing it. But don’t knock other people for not believing in the conventional wisdom and decided to figure things out on their own.

And the brain can also run on ketones (a by-product of your body using its own fat for fuel) and the heart actually runs more efficiently on ketones. The brain can also use L-glutamine (an amino acid) as fuel.

And I'm not trying to start an argument or debate. just some info to research and think about.

Care to elaborate on the bolded? Or is this more made up stuff?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I eat bread and oats everyday. And rice, and potatoes, and ice cream, and pizza. But nothing we say here can stop the anti-carb crusaders. They are dedicated.