French Vanilla Creamer

Options
124»

Replies

• lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to let this one go and I drink a lot of coffee! I am going through a huge jug of this a week which is a lot of cals. I tried a sugar free variant and it tasted horrible. Somebody else must have this affinity for french vanilla creamer, if so what is to be done?
    Thanks!

Gah...I love the stuff too...I did get the sugar free and thankfully it's tolerable :grumble: . I say if you can't go cold turkey, learn to like the sugar free. :wink:

I also like it in my oatmeal...yum...:love:
  • lastchance2010
    Options
    but the coffee mate def taste better than the I.D. version.

^^^^this...I agree. Coffee mate is better than the International delight...
  • lastchance2010
    Options
    I never gave up creamer. I did give up the ones I use to buy with trans fat (partial hydrogenated oils). I been using International Delight's Cinnabon flavor no trans fat and quite tasty.

Oh Yum!!!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to let this one go and I drink a lot of coffee! I am going through a huge jug of this a week which is a lot of cals. I tried a sugar free variant and it tasted horrible. Somebody else must have this affinity for french vanilla creamer, if so what is to be done?
    Thanks!
    My grocery store has cartons on vanilla milk and chocolate milk, if I want to flavor my coffee I use one of those. They are more calories than creamers but they actually have some food values like protein and calcium.
  • jeanschweiger
    jeanschweiger Posts: 9 Member
    Options
  • gordonx4
    gordonx4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I switch to french vanilla flavored coffee and use non dairy creamer. Now I'm weaning my self off the creamer but still have the vanilla coffee.
  • nh2576
    nh2576 Posts: 69
    Options
    Cold Turkey is exactly what popped in my head when i first read your post. So i laughed when that was the first post response I read! :) BUT, I know it is NOT easy to do - especially when it feels like you've already given up so much!!

I was hooked on starbucks breakfast blend (Kcup) + french vanilla creamer...drank 24-48 oz/day of this with a swig of creamer in each 12 oz cup. I did a combination of things, and am (temporarily, at least) not drinking any FV creamer at all right now.

My recommendation: See if you can find a large bottle with a pump on the top like they have at some C-stores. Maybe if you can determine exactly how much you usually put in each cup, then you could just try to put a little less in this week, cut back a little more next week, etc, you can slowly cut back on the amount you are using.

What I did (just last week) was purchase a bag of Body By Vi Shape Shake Mix from a friend who recently became a dealer. I brew my k-cup, chill it or brew it extra strong into my magic bullet large cup w/ 5-6 ice cubes in it. I then add 1 cup of Silk and 2 scoops of Vi Shape Mix. Blend it up, pour back into whatever cup I choose for my day and away I go. Then when I get to work and my shake (breakfast) is gone I make sure I brew a Kcup of black coffee and force myself to drink it to keep the migraine at bay. Found out (on day one of Body by Vi) that if i only brewed 4 oz of coffee into my shake and then drank water I would not be able to function due to debilitating migraine that took over by 4pm. First clue that I have a serious addiction/problem with caffeine = not good!!

My creamer is still in the fridge at home and i have one at work, too...haven't thrown it away - though probably should, but it really hasn't beckoned me too bad...the iced coffee was different enough and tasty enough that I was actually ok with the switch - quite surprising to me!!

I cannot stand sugar free or fat free stuff. I'd rather have none than that stuff!! Instead of sugar free syrup at starbucks I ask for 1/2 shot of regular - now I'm down to like 1/4 shot. Instead of FF Ranch on my salad, I use 1% cottage cheese + ranch powder. I get protein and flavor w/out the nasty after-taste.

Hope some of this helps you!! Addictions are never easy to break - especially the ones nearest/dearest to us!!! Good luck! Let us know what, if anything, you do about it and how it works out for you! There's a lot of us in the same boat!
  • snailhead
    snailhead Posts: 10
    Options
    Fat free half and half is only 20 calories per 2 tablespoons and it's actually very good. So if you replace sugar with stevia (or something similar) and use fat free half and half, it's only 20 calories per cup of coffee.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    LOL! I just gave up my sugar-free french vanilla coffee creamer about 1.5 weeks ago. I LOVE the stuff and I drink large quantities of coffee; however, I know all those ingredients are not good for me. Since I don't feel satisfied with black coffee (and so far I'm refusing to use any other creamer), I just add a little (sometimes a lot) of vanilla extract or almond extract... or even banana extract. Oh, and of course my Truvia.

...God, I miss my creamer...
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free international delight french vanilla. it's really good. i also do a splash of milk and 1 splenda to add a bit of sweet to it. i've also used davinci syrups (sugar free) they don't have calories, there's tons of flavors and they actually taste good!
  • wilson1024
    wilson1024 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I drink hazelnut creamer and I'm not giving it up sorry............ I only drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning maybe................. 2 but very rarely! Its not that many calories so I'm sure it will not hurt you at all!!!! :)
  • RustyIron
    RustyIron Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi, this is my story. I too loved the hazelnut creamer, however that hydrogenated oil is a no no!I use a Keurig and use the Starbucks house blend or the Caribou blend. Then I found the natural bliss nestle coffee-mate Sweet Cream. I really like it. 5g of sugar 35 Cal.
  • dsrszs
    dsrszs Posts: 14
    Options
    I found this recicpe for homemade coffee creamer. It might be better in cals than the store bought stuff. I'm just not sure what the calorie count is on Sweetened Condensed Milk...worth a try I suppose...

French Vanilla Coffee Creamer

Ingredients:
    14oz sweetened condensed milk
    14oz milk (whole, lowfat, or skim - doesn't matter)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract OR Vanilla Coffee Syrup for a stronger flavor
    a mason jar (quart is perfect)
    Instructions:

Pour all of the ingredients into your mason jar. Screw the lid on tightly, and shake vigorously for a few minutes until well combined.
  • dsrszs
    dsrszs Posts: 14
    Options
    The recipe called for sweetened condensed milk - yikes - that little can has over 1300 calories....

I use this:

1 cup unsweetened almond milk - 35 calories
    1/4 cup half and half -
    stevia -
    real vanilla extract -

I use it in hot coffee, cold lattes, etc.

I works out to less than 20 calories per tablespoon and I use about a tablespoon per cup

good luck

d
  • gordonx4
    gordonx4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LOL! I just gave up my sugar-free french vanilla coffee creamer about 1.5 weeks ago. I LOVE the stuff and I drink large quantities of coffee; however, I know all those ingredients are not good for me. Since I don't feel satisfied with black coffee (and so far I'm refusing to use any other creamer), I just add a little (sometimes a lot) of vanilla extract or almond extract... or even banana extract. Oh, and of course my Truvia.

...God, I miss my creamer...

I do this also, I add mine spices to the coffee grounds and brew like normal. Have you tried Nutmeg? it's really good also. There are lots of different spices you can add to the coffee.
  • lurper
    lurper Posts: 1
    Options
    You don't have to give up the creamer, make your own. Use 16oz fat free half and half, 12-16 oz skim milk, 1-2 tbsp of vanilla flavoring and 1/2 - 1 tsp of almond flavoring. Add your sweetener of choice. Adjust the amounts to suit your tastes. According to the recipe calculator, this has about 10 cal per Tbsp.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Keep it - and lose something else. I've tried everything too and I just love it so much I let go of other things that I don't like as much so that it fits in my day.

No worries! :flowerforyou:
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I never gave up creamer. I did give up the ones I use to buy with trans fat (partial hydrogenated oils). I been using International Delight's Cinnabon flavor no trans fat and quite tasty.

Oh the Cinnabon flavour is so delicious! That's the one I use too...
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I use these creamers as well and I refuse to give them up, I like my coffee too much. Just fit it into your day.

No fat-free sugar-free creamers for this girl. I like the real thing. Cinnabon.....mmmmmmm......

I also like real coffee cream (as in the 18% stuff), but that is a once in a while treat.