Depression

Options
sars_68
sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
Hi

It is taking me a lot of courage to post this so please don't judge me, I am looking for advice not sympathy.

I have suffered from depression in the past and spent many years on anti-depressants. I came off the tablets about three years ago and I felt great. About two years ago my weight loss journey began and for a long time I have felt 'good'.

Recently I have felt myself 'going down' again and I am increasingly feeling like I'm on the way to another 'meltdown'. I saw the Dr yesterday and he wanted me to go back on the tablets and to be signed off work. I said no to both, but promised to go back if I don't feel better soon. I want to beat this and see going back on the tablets as a backwards step. Most people I've spoken to automatically say 'don't go back on the tablets'. I need some impartial advice. What should I do?

I just want to ask if anyone who's been a situation like this can give me any advice or suggest any alternatives to anti-depressants. I am going to try to up my exercise to see if that helps (sometimes a real struggle because I just don't have the energy).

Thank you for not judging me.

S :blushing:

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Your story is almost exactly the same as mine right down to feeling myself going down again right now.

I'm choosing to stay off the tablets. It wasn't until I went off them with terrible withdrawal symptoms that I realised how bad they were for me. Not just the blunting of all emotions but the nightmares, sweating, difficulty peeing, anorgasmia and bruising.

BUT some people get on well with them, and, honestly, if they did what they needed to get you through before, go back to them. If your doctor says so, it's probably a good idea.

What I'm doing is trying to change the things I can and let the things I can't sweep over me. I'm also forcing myself into a routine to do the things that I don't really have the inclination or the energy to do, like exercising every day, making dates to see friends and getting at least some housework done. Yesterday I HAD to clean the flat as it was filthy and friends are coming round Saturday morning but because I procrastinated so much I didn't do it until 11pm. If I hadn't I'd have felt bad and that would have been another tiny step downwards.

Baby steps.

Hope you find what works for you :flowerforyou:
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression in the past (and anxiety--but that's not just in the past!) and have been on--and off--meds for it. I can't really tell you what you "should" do, as I don't know you at all or your situation or how you respond to meds, etc., but I know that if I started to feel like I was spiraling down toward depression again, the first thing I would do (I hope) is absolutely work out every day. My therapist has said that this is the single best thing I can do to help my mental health, and I believe it.

Also, I would try to not let myself get back into old patterns and habits by planning activities that are incompatible with what I "like" to do when depressed. For example, I would schedule weekly (or daily???) visits with friends or activities so I would HAVE to get dressed by a reasonable hour and get out of the house. I hope that whatever you decide to do works for you--good luck!
  • sars_68
    Options
    Your story is almost exactly the same as mine right down to feeling myself going down again right now.

I'm choosing to stay off the tablets. It wasn't until I went off them with terrible withdrawal symptoms that I realised how bad they were for me. Not just the blunting of all emotions but the nightmares, sweating, difficulty peeing, anorgasmia and bruising.

BUT some people get on well with them, and, honestly, if they did what they needed to get you through before, go back to them. If your doctor says so, it's probably a good idea.

What I'm doing is trying to change the things I can and let the things I can't sweep over me. I'm also forcing myself into a routine to do the things that I don't really have the inclination or the energy to do, like exercising every day, making dates to see friends and getting at least some housework done. Yesterday I HAD to clean the flat as it was filthy and friends are coming round Saturday morning but because I procrastinated so much I didn't do it until 11pm. If I hadn't I'd have felt bad and that would have been another tiny step downwards.

Baby steps.

Hope you find what works for you :flowerforyou:

Thank you x
    I hope you are feeling brighter soon too x
  • sars_68
    Options
    I've struggled with depression in the past (and anxiety--but that's not just in the past!) and have been on--and off--meds for it. I can't really tell you what you "should" do, as I don't know you at all or your situation or how you respond to meds, etc., but I know that if I started to feel like I was spiraling down toward depression again, the first thing I would do (I hope) is absolutely work out every day. My therapist has said that this is the single best thing I can do to help my mental health, and I believe it.

Also, I would try to not let myself get back into old patterns and habits by planning activities that are incompatible with what I "like" to do when depressed. For example, I would schedule weekly (or daily???) visits with friends or activities so I would HAVE to get dressed by a reasonable hour and get out of the house. I hope that whatever you decide to do works for you--good luck!

Thank you x
  • agatronmeows
    agatronmeows Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I dont personally suffer with depression, however my auntie is going through something similar. She was taking some medication, which i assume were anti-depressants. She had been trying to lose weight for ages and just wasnt budging. Which was making her even more upset. So she decided to try and not take the meds.

Without the meds she lost tones of weight but she says she has issues with keeping her moods in check. She has issues with her libido, keeping positive, a little bit of memory problems and fatigue. But with exercise she says she feels better, she also said that at the beginning of the day she writes down little goals for her mood and exercise and food. She then at the end of the day ticks off the things she has accomplished (being small goals she does most) and if she doesnt she plans in her head how she can change that. She says that helps her keep things into perspective and helps her look at the big picture and celebrate the little wins.
  • frimae
    frimae Posts: 1
    Options
    I think it is very important for you to have a small project or goal like this one. Do not be discouraged or let anyone discourage you! Concentrate on the nice things life has to offer you. You should give acupunture a try, it actually helps a lot with depression and anxiety. Also, have you tried things like yoga and tai-chi? SMILE!!! :)
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i feel ya! not on the pills as exercise was working my brain too! but now i am so slumped that getting fat again isn't affecting me! i want to sleep all day not move! i was thining it was my mojo but i can't find it. last month if i saw a 5 pound gain i would've pushed harder but now i'm like eh! i'm praying i snap out it soon! good luck!
  • backtofront
    backtofront Posts: 10
    Options
    I am clinically depressed myself. I am on 150 mg of Effexor a day and it helps relieve the anxiety. However, the real trick is to combine meds with good old fashioned counseling. One on One or group therapy sessions have done wonders. It really helps. Try a combination of the two. Meds and a psychologist or counselor. Best of luck to you and hang in there.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I had depression for 7 years and once I started exercising I have been so much better. I have been off them for just a bit over 12 months. Ever since stuff has been happening just in the past couple weeks, it seems I have been going back to my old ways, and it is hard because I have been slacking on exercise cos I had tonsillitous and generally just don't want to get out of bed. But I know if I exercise I will feel so much better. It is such a hard cycle. But in saying that, intense exercise will not necessarily help everyone.
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    It took me really being crushed to finally get some help from a Dr. Now I take Buproprion and Viibryd together.

Sure, there are some side effects, but mild. I feel so much better emotionally and I am able to be productive and in some control.

I openly tell people that I take them, I refuse to let this be embarrassing. Before I lost weight I was diabetic, I took metformin, I wasn't embarrassed about that, so why be embarrassed about this.

This is coming from a guy who avoided Drs for 20 years.

My brain chemistry is a bit out of whack, so I take a couple pills. No biggee to me.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Have you done any counseling? It might be a good idea rather than trying to go it alone. A counselor can also give you a more realistic idea of whether you need to go back on the meds or not. Your doctor saw you for one appointment and I'm sure just talked about symptoms, not your depression itself. A counselor can try to help you get to the root of things so you can learn strategies to "pull yourself out".

You could also look at a more mild anti-depressant. When I was getting divorced, I was really depressed and my MD put me on a low dose of Celexa. It helped even me out and gave me the focus to start getting things done again, but it didn't give me any noticeable side effects and if I accidentally missed a dose, it didn't bother me. Not saying you should take that med in particular, just giving an example of something that might be a compromise.

It's good that you can feel yourself going down hill... some people can't. But just because you can feel it, doesn't mean you have to go it alone. Don't be afraid to reach out and get help. If you can't do a counselor, consider looking for a local support group. Sometimes just talking to other people who've had similar experiences can do a world of good.

Good luck to you.
    Jen
  • nishsuz
    nishsuz Posts: 55
    Options
    Hello

I suffer from depression and went thru the same thing with my docs. i stopped taking the meds and it had a terrible knock on affect to my life. so i went back on them, BUT i do beleive that the meds wont work on their own, they will work alongside exercise (and vice versa). When your body is used to the routine of exercise and taking meds, being around positive people, talking talking and more talking, you will feel so much more better in yourself. It really does depend on the extent of your depression in my opinion.
    Have something to focus on and make that your priority, like your own little project. For example, i've done (and still doing!) the mum thing, the wifey thing, the work thing, so my new project is ME!
    Also write down 3 positive things that have happened at the end of each day and make that a part of ur routine.

Well done on your progress so far!
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have been going through the same exact thing. I'm a strong believer in NOT taking pills. They did nothing for me, except make me worse. Try to focus on things that make you happy, Exercise more and give yourself little goals. I blog alot to try OUT of me. It's hard though. You have to do what is right for YOU.

Feel free to read my profile and add me as a friend! I really think support and motivation help. =) Good luck and remember that depression lies! You CAN get through this!!!
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I've been there, to the point of attempted suicide. I was on 6 different kinds of meds just through my junior/senior year of high school, and I promised myself I'd never take them again. It's hard to deal with, I still struggle with it. My ways of dealing with it is increased exercise, sitting down and telling myself that I'm in control of my life, not my depression. I've also heard that sunshine helps. I hope you get better soon :flowerforyou:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice since I don't know you, but it seems like you need ***hugs***
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    when I was a teenager I was diagnosed with Manic Depression bi-Polar disorder and they medicated me, however as I became and adult my doctor safely took me off.

My mom on the other hand is also Manic Depressive Bi-Polar disorder and is in a similar situation, she was also taken off her meds but had to go back on them. She is currently in school majoring in Psychology.

I just wanted to reach out and tell you that you are an amazing person, and that some forms of depression are due to a chemical imbalance, and are not something you can just "defeat". You are such a strong person to have come so far. They say that weight loss and exercise can help with depression. May you can try taking a more milk anti-depressent and stick with your exercise and weight loss plan and try to come off it again later? please don't ever give up the thought of being happy without the pills it can totally happen , but please please take them if you need them, at least for now <3
  • brazillover
    brazillover Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I battle depression everday. I am back on anti depressants. I tried hard not to take them again but could not win the battle with my brain. What helps me also is exercice everyday (walking, Wii dance, skip rope, etc...) I think music is very important and also art.
    You could try coloring Mandalas (very therapeutic), listening to relaxing CD's, painting, etc... Try to express yourself with some form of art. Good luck :)
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Exactly the same as me, I was on them 6 years and came off them 3 years ago.

I went back on them last week, I just couldn't cope any more, I tried to cope for 3 months feeling awful and it just isn't worth it. Being proud doesn't make you feel better and you'll just end up feeling worse and worse.

I personally would suggest you go back on them, if pills help then why not take them, there's no shame in having a chemical inbalance in the brain xxx
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    speaking from personal experience - I find if I am going down again (have suffered since I was 15 and am 39 now) I find the only thing that helps is the medication - but that is a decision you need to make yourself.

Have you tried St. Johns Wort - its a herbal remedy that is supposed to help depression
  • SharmelleOlson
    SharmelleOlson Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I deal with depression also and I am on meds for it myself... I refuse to go off my meds right now due to I do not want to end up like I was before. But I do think that you should try going back on the meds to make you feel better. I do remember before I moved here I had problems taking my meds but I have all the support I need and it is easier to do it now. If you need more support on this I will be here for you ok.

Blessings, Sharmelle