Depression

Options

Replies

• Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    Hi

It is taking me a lot of courage to post this so please don't judge me.....
    Thank you for not judging me.

S :blushing:
    why would anyone judge you for fighting depression?

all the best, whatever you decide to do.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    me too! must be something going around. I've been off meds since 2007 but also feel an imminent 'meltdown'. I am fighting it but see medication (and more therapy) in my future.
    I don't know what it's about - physically I feel better than I have in years - perhaps it's this 'recession'? I don't know I feel very defeated & hopeless - this feeling with my illness causes me to FREAK OUT. I will leave my home & everything & go live in the woods in a tent. Probably not the best life for a mentally ill senior citizen ....

Take care of yourself. You're NOT ALONE. Eat well, get plenty of sleep - keep busy & try not to 'dwell' on things that bother you
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from depression. I have tried everything, some caused a lot of weight gain also. I am now on Lamectal which has been a godsend. May I ask why you are so anti medication?

I don't like Anti Depressants because I've seen what they can do, i.e the liver. My friend had liver failure through taking them, it was called Citolopram, UK anti depressant.
  • Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    Take the pills if you need them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Don't let yourself get pulled back into the "abyss". I know it's hard, just put one foot in front of the other. :)
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I know this will sound way off and mad, but getting a pet, such as a dog helped me beat depression. I have been diagnosed with depression at 17 and felt so low I basically wanted to kill myself, as I thought life was not worth living. I know stupid, right?

Since I moved in with my boyfriend, who has a dog, it basically all went uphill from there. Whenever I get home and feel like **** after a bad day or just feeling down for no reason at all, as one does, the dog comes and sits next to me and just by playing with it and stroking it, I don't feel so down anymore. To many of you it might sound crazy, but it DOES help and it will improve your mood instantly.

Also, it is not scientifically proven that depression can be beaten by getting a dog in your life.

Here is a link to an article I recently read online:

http://www.petsbest.com/blog/help-overcome-depression/
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel better soon. Depression is serious and I won't jeopardize your life by making suggestions I am not qualified to make.

I have been in that situation once in my life. It lead to extreme fatigue, which stopped me from exercising, when exercising was desperately needed to pull me out of depression. I felt I could easily stop breathing and die in bed.

I hope you find your way out, keep moving forward, keep fighting because it is a day-by-day almost minute-by-minute constant struggle. Should you have to follow your doctors orders, that's fine, don't feel like you've failed to control it on your own. We are all here to support you!
  • xarla16
    xarla16 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder, which is slightly different from depression, but here's how I feel about pills:

Take them. There's no shame in it. There's no reason you shouldn't "depend" on them. If you needed heart medicine, would you stop taking it if there was still a problem? Would you take the cast off a broken leg too soon? It's the same thing. It's an illness, and the medication helps with that. Taking off work is your decision. That all depends on how you feel. Of course, taking meds is also your decision, but I feel like that is something else entirely.

What I'm saying is, if there is something out there that will help, why not utilize it? I'd be nowhere but a psychiatric hospital without my medication. I know how crippling depression can be.

I understand the feeling of not wanting meds. It feels like a crutch, like you're not doing any of the work yourself and are just looking for a "band-aid." But you aren't. You're just doing what you can to feel better. Of course, diet helps (as some posters mentioned), and exercise helps, but if those aren't pulling you out of the darkness, there's nothing wrong with finding something that will.

Feel free to add me if you want to talk.

I completely agree with the post I quoted. If meds work for you and help you function, then I would absolutely go back on them. There's no shame in taking anti-depressants, especially if you have found one that works well for you. Depression can be debilitating so why deny yourself the extra help that medication can provide you?
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I also have suffered with depression. Instead of meds I just buried myself in work, drank more than I should, laid around in bed, etc. In 2009 I decided I needed a change. The two things that always seemed to help with my depression was working out and being out in nature. I had always wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail, but figured I would wait till I was retired. I had enough money saved, I was burnt out on my job, and I was ready to make a change. I spent six months hiking 2178 miles from Georgia to Maine. As you can imagine on the trail you have alot of time to reflect on your life, your dreams, and plenty of time to make goals and create a plan for those goals. I realized that one of the things I had been doing that wasn't helping my depression was my buying habits. I would go out and buy a new bike, new computer, etc and then all the money I was making was going into paying for those items instead of investing for the future. On the trail you carry everything you need on your back. You start off with everything you think you need and after a couple of days carrying that load up and down the mountains you quickly realize that there are alot of things/weight in your pack that you really do not need. Doing this for six months really taught me that I don't need a new car, I don't need expensive clothes, I don't need a huge house, etc. A simple life is so much more enjoyable. After the trail instead of going back to work doing civil engineering for developers, I took a CE job doing conservation work. I have started a small homestead. It will be several years before the fruit trees and nut trees start producing but I am enjoying the work. I am also getting back into triathlons. I just feel much better when I wake up early, workout before work, and then spend the afternoon out on the property or visiting friends.

Your passion may not be the outdoors or working out. Do things you enjoy... Create a list of goals and a list of things you want to do. Share your list with someone who will hold you accountable. Then work on accomplishing that list.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    The brain is an organ just like the heart. If you have a chemical imbalance that is causing depression, taking anti-depressants is like taking heart medication for a bum ticker. It's mostly the stigma of mental health issues that make taking mental meds taboo. You can't "tough out" a heart defect, so if things are getting terrible, try the meds.

If you have adverse side effects, like people have previously mentioned, there are other drugs, switch. And make sure you tell your provider to put you on a weight neutral med.

Lastly, if this is a depression that stems from a trauma like abuse, rape, a traumatic incident of any kind (personal stuff you don't need to share), then get on the meds short term to balance you out, and make sure you address the issues with counseling of some type because in this case, the pills are only treating the symptoms. Good luck.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you are heading into that downward spiral, the best thing to do is stop yourself from going there. I don't think you should feel like medication is a bad thing, it really helps a lot of people. I took anti-depressants for a little over a year (I have moderate depression and anxiety) and I was ashamed of it at first. But if you really need them, and aren't abusing the drugs, there is no shame in that.

Depression is a chemical imbalance, and the meds will help correct that. Don't let yourself get to that low point again!
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    I have suffered for many many years...almost 30. I can tell you from experience why suffer? It Is a chemical imbalance, not taking what you need to be well is like saying "I'm a diabetic but i don't need medication". Feeling down or bummed for a bit is one thing, as humans we ALL go through that, it's life....but hanging on by a thread and feeling like you are going to go off the deep end? No, do what it takes to be well. If it means medication then so be it.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    The brain is an organ just like the heart. If you have a chemical imbalance that is causing depression, taking anti-depressants is like taking heart medication for a bum ticker. It's mostly the stigma of mental health issues that make taking mental meds taboo. You can't "tough out" a heart defect, so if things are getting terrible, try the meds.

If you have adverse side effects, like people have previously mentioned, there are other drugs, switch. And make sure you tell your provider to put you on a weight neutral med.

Lastly, if this is a depression that stems from a trauma like abuse, rape, a traumatic incident of any kind (personal stuff you don't need to share), then get on the meds short term to balance you out, and make sure you address the issues with counseling of some type because in this case, the pills are only treating the symptoms. Good luck.

this
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You may try picking up on your exercise -- particularly aerobic exercise that will release endorphins. Unfortunately, for many, medication is necessary to prevent the meltdown. Depression often is related to something so if you have excessive job pressures, it may be necessary to make some changes there. Depression is usually a transient disorder... meaning that it sort of comes and goes.. hence the feeling better then not feeling better. Best wishes on feeling better soon.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I used to cycle into deep depression every 4 years. I was on pills in high school and college, but the last time scared me off of them for good (long story). I've found that when I feel the old feelings coming on exercise really helps, as well as talking about it with my friends and family. Therapy and opening up to loved ones has been amazing for me, I've had to find my own truth, take time for me, and do something to work it out. Running gives me time to work out my problems in my head, lifting gives my pent up energy an out, and the rest of my exercise gives me time to escape from daily life for an hour.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Your decision to go back on or off medication should be between you and your doc. One of the problems with taking psychotrophic or anti depressants is staying on medication. You really need to consult a professional before you make any changes in your meds.
    Exercise raises the endorphins in the brain. These endorphins are a group of protein with potent analgesic (feel good, pain modification ) properties. Good luck and you can be friends with me if you so choose.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Alternatives:

Minerals (body deficiency can result in depression)
    St. John's Wort
    Passion Flower

Increase Good Proteins and Healthy Fats (chicken, fish, grass-fed beef, olive oil, coconut oil)
    Reduce or eliminate sugar and breads/pastas
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I took meds for about a year and gained weighty and felt awful on them I had been off them for about two years now. My doctor recently put me on Wellbutrin and its worked awesome. I was really hesitant atbfirst but I guess it's a way different anti depressant then e others. Also I'm seeing a counselor and that helps tremendously. Cig you don't want to take medicine I would highly recommend that.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. Got the T-shirt! Depression is an illness - a serious illness - if you need medication then you NEED medication. You wouldn't "choose" to be on medication for any other illness if it was required.

Depending on the level of your depression you may be able to self-motivate yourself to get some exercise, find meaningful activities and get some good restful sleep, but if not, accept that medication is a step to getting well again.

St John's Wort is an effective herbal/natural anti-depressant - so effective that should not be taken with pharmaceutical anti-depressants, so maybe that might be an effective remedy if you don't want to get the prescription anti-depressants.

Take care, and stay safe. :flowerforyou:
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I know this will sound way off and mad, but getting a pet, such as a dog helped me beat depression. I have been diagnosed with depression at 17 and felt so low I basically wanted to kill myself, as I thought life was not worth living. I know stupid, right?

Since I moved in with my boyfriend, who has a dog, it basically all went uphill from there. Whenever I get home and feel like **** after a bad day or just feeling down for no reason at all, as one does, the dog comes and sits next to me and just by playing with it and stroking it, I don't feel so down anymore. To many of you it might sound crazy, but it DOES help and it will improve your mood instantly.

Also, it is not scientifically proven that depression can be beaten by getting a dog in your life.

Here is a link to an article I recently read online:

http://www.petsbest.com/blog/help-overcome-depression/

This is not a bad idea, we use Therapy Dogs and other pets at the Hospital, the effect is generally significant though not an answer by itself. Keep monitoring with you Doc and carefully consider his/her advice meds may be an answer for a while. Hope it works out well for ya.
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    WOW!

What a response. Thank you everyone so, so much for all your messages and suggestions.

I may have come across anti medication - I'm not really and I have even had conversations with friends where I have encouraged them to consider the need for medication. I just want to try to overcome this myself first. If it doesn't work I will glady take the help from medication.

Reading your posts has given me lots to think about and lots to try out. I will be visiting the health food shop very soon and have already done 20 mins on the cross trainer today. A start in the right direction.

I have been humbled by the messagesd of support from everyone. It's so good to know I'm not alone - that in itself gives me a boost.

My doctor suggested I book to see the counsellor at the surgery. I tried to get an appointment but was told there are none. I think I will be calling them back later to insist I get one. You've helped me to do that!!

Thank you again all of you - you're great.

S x

PS I have two cats and two rabbits so I don't think a dog would be a good idea, but I take on board the suggestion and will be cuddling them all a bit more.