Replies

• dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I deal with an imbalance in brain chemistry that makes medication necessary for me. I tried to do it on my own for a few years but the stress was too much and I couldn't handle myself. I find the lowest dosage to be just enough to keep me in balance and still me. Work with your DR. There is no shame in getting help where it is needed.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Without getting into too much detail, I know what you are going through.

I refuse to go back on medication for several reasons.

Exorcise helps a great deal, and I also take a few over the counter medications.

Relacore and Sam-E
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling. I can't offer any constructive advice but am sending you lots of good wishes. Your weight loss has been an absolute inspiration! Whether its exercise or meds, I hope you find something that works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • newtz10
    newtz10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My mom has had to be on meds for depression for over 10 years and every once in awhile she will try to "go off" them and its horrible to see how quickly severe depression sets in. In my moms case she will prob have to take meds everyday for life and she has accepted that. I had to take meds after I had my daughter I was experiencing severe Postpartum Depression and they really helped me and I was able to get off them within a year. Everyone's situation is different and some people are just more prone to depression and their body needs the meds to balance everything! I think if the only thing that helps you is the meds you should go back on them. If you need more support I'm here!
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm on a couple different kinds of antidepressants. I'd rather not be, but I'd also rather live with the side effects of the meds than with full-blown depression. I'm not sure why all the people you've talked to have told you not to go back on the meds, but please remember they can be an effective tool to help you fight this.

Exercise definitely also helps. Be sure that you're getting enough quality sleep. I found out that I'm also vitamin D deficient (not a fan of the outdoors, nor milk) with a simple blood test, and since I've been taking a supplement for it, I have been feeling even better. Google seratonin boosting foods and incorporate more of those into your diet.

Best of luck to you, and please feel free to friend me! I've been battling with this thing for over 20 years.
  • sam67g
    sam67g Posts: 4
    Options
    I am reoccurring depressant and did come of the med's for a while, but like you I felt I was slipping back into my old ways and did. So now I am back on them and I have to say I like the way they keep me level. For some people it can be a short term fix for other like myself it will be a long term fix. I also agree with managing your sleep, exercise and food goes a long way to helping but as we all know in this life, some things will and can knock you sideways.
    Good friends will also help, and give you someone to talk to, but we are all here if you need that shoulder! x
  • borgi77
    borgi77 Posts: 61
    Options
    Good luck, I understand what it is like it is so hard, me myself, I put on such a brave from most of the time but find that my energy levels are always so low find that putting on the brave front drains more energy. Their are days where I can hardly get out of bed to do anything at all. I suffered for around 7 years been on off tablets so I can see why you may not want to go back on the tablets.

My tips are the following

- exercise even when you have no energy try to push through it, maybe ask a friend to go for a walk round some place nice like a beach of something with water, that always helps me.

- as much as you may not want to go out sometimes ask friends to go out with you even for breakfast or go to lunch something low key as I find when I am depressed I want to do nothing at all but I should try to do break out of my comfort zone more as it helps.

- speak to your employer about it to see if they have anything they can do to support you, maybe go part time for a month or two (depending on your financial situation) most employers want to help where they can, mine are really great.

- maybe get a blood test too, to see if your lacking nutrients like iron etc

- keep doing what your doing by being on MFP and track food / exercise!

- cut negative people / energy draining people out of your life (we all have those)

- I downloaded an IPHONE app called "Moody Me" and you can track your moods each day writing down the reasons why you may be feeling down then when you see your doctor / psychologist next you can discuss the reasons for why your are feeling down

& most of all GOOD LUCK.
  • Mizzy91
    Mizzy91 Posts: 63
    Options
    I too know what your going through, meds have different effects on different people, but if it makes you feel better.
    Days when I want to stay in bed all day, not talk to anyone.
    Would definately recommend a counsellor too.
    Feel free to add.
    M :-)
  • jennygraham08
    Options
    I take St. John's Wort. $4 at walmart and helps my depression. Says to take 3 a day but I can get away with taking 1 a day and I take more if Im really depressed
  • Beamll
    Beamll Posts: 28
    Options
    I too suffer from depression and anxiety. I have always managed mine with vitamins, diet and sun light. I was recently diagnosed with perimenopause. Worst three year since going through puberty. I added a multi mineral and it has worked wonders for me. I don’t like to take any medication unless absolutely necessary, feels very unnatural to me.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hi

It is taking me a lot of courage to post this so please don't judge me, I am looking for advice not sympathy.

I have suffered from depression in the past and spent many years on anti-depressants. I came off the tablets about three years ago and I felt great. About two years ago my weight loss journey began and for a long time I have felt 'good'.

Recently I have felt myself 'going down' again and I am increasingly feeling like I'm on the way to another 'meltdown'. I saw the Dr yesterday and he wanted me to go back on the tablets and to be signed off work. I said no to both, but promised to go back if I don't feel better soon. I want to beat this and see going back on the tablets as a backwards step. Most people I've spoken to automatically say 'don't go back on the tablets'. I need some impartial advice. What should I do?

I just want to ask if anyone who's been a situation like this can give me any advice or suggest any alternatives to anti-depressants. I am going to try to up my exercise to see if that helps (sometimes a real struggle because I just don't have the energy).

Thank you for not judging me.

S :blushing:

I've had a nervous breakdown and bouts of depression all my life and it's only now at 33 I've realised how to combat mine and I take a vitamin B complex every day, work out 5 times a week and do all the healthy stuff and I'm not saying I'm hundred percent, but I'm getting there... I find a lot of foods and caffeine used to bring me down.

Hope you feel better soon x
  • therealjanelle
    Options
    I have found that it helps to find a "purpose" that makes you feel good and focus at least an hour a day on it.
    Maybe you'd like to volunteer to work with underpriviledged children.
    Perhaps you'd like to walk or train dogs for a local animal shelter.
    Or maybe read to or play board games with the elderly or disabled at a nursing care home.

In depression we often have trouble looking beyond how the elements of our day will affect ourselves. We aren't selfish; we are just caught in a net. When we surround ourselves with something that makes us focus on the positive things we can do for others that feeling of being trapped often goes away. And one positive feeling opens us to even more!
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I understand what it is like it is so hard, me myself, I put on such a brave from most of the time but find that my energy levels are always so low find that putting on the brave front drains more energy. Their are days where I can hardly get out of bed to do anything at all. I suffered for around 7 years been on off tablets so I can see why you may not want to go back on the tablets.

- exercise even when you have no energy try to push through it, maybe ask a friend to go for a walk round some place nice like a beach of something with water, that always helps me.

- as much as you may not want to go out sometimes ask friends to go out with you even for breakfast or go to lunch something low key as I find when I am depressed I want to do nothing at all but I should try to do break out of my comfort zone more as it helps.

- speak to your employer about it to see if they have anything they can do to support you, maybe go part time for a month or two (depending on your financial situation) most employers want to help where they can, mine are really great.

- cut negative people / energy draining people out of your life (we all have those)

- I downloaded an IPHONE app called "Moody Me" and you can track your moods each day writing down the reasons why you may be feeling down then when you see your doctor / psychologist next you can discuss the reasons for why your are feeling down

& most of all GOOD LUCK.

Thanks for the app thing! will look at that myself lol
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to give good advice without knowing more about you. I have been in your shoes, including being on the medication. Sometimes it's needed to help us be able to process our emotions. But who is recommending the mediation? A doctor? A counselor? Or psychiatrist? That is a big question to me. If one of the first two, I listen. If the latter, I get a second opinion.

I would actually recommend starting with a counselor-someone who doesn't specialize with medication-and work there first. This will help you recognize what is at the root of the problems that are causing the depression. I worked with an LCSW for awhile and she had some wonderful techniques for working through these problems. I was able to get through some of my toughest emotional meltdowns without ever getting on medication. It was hard work-but worth it. Also, a good counselor will be able to identify when you really do need medication to help process your emotions-then you can go back to your doctor for them.

HTH
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have gone through similar issues with depression, although I've never been on depression meds. I do, however, have a hypothyroid issue, which can CAUSE depression. If you can find a doc in your area who is both an M.D. and a naturopath, they'll test all of your systems and see what's going on to see if the depression has a physical cause other than a chemical issue in the brain. I totally feel for you, and NO ONE should judge you for being depressed. It is an illness, not an option. When my thyroid gets out of whack, I can feel myself physically going down, akin to being in an elevator. This last time my thyroid got off (last week), my doctor tried to give me Zoloft. I am opting to work on my thyroid first and THEN move on to depression meds if the depression does not lift.

Hugs to you, I hope you get this figured out soon. Hang in there, so many of us are with you; you are not alone. :smile:
  • vmb46
    vmb46 Posts: 27
    Options
    I have not read the responses so someone may have already mentioned this but try seeing a psychologist. Most health insurance companies will cover outpatient services and there are a number of different techniques that are used in lieu of medication. Once you speak with your psychologist they will determine the best approach for you. Some approaches include finding ways to channel your emotions in order to help change your behavior, recognizing when you begin to get down in order to refocus your energy and attention, staying active, simply having talk therapy with a qualified person, I could go on but the approach for you would depend on your particular circumstance.

Also remember that depression is chemical and sometimes biological and in these cases medication may be required. Although medication is often times the last resort for some people, there are many people who cannot beat depression without it. Depression is painful for everyone involved, you going through it and your friends and family watching you go through it. Seek professional help early because depression can manifest itself in many ways. While MFP is a great support system for some things your mental health should be handled by health professionals. Seek the help from qualified individuals because everyone's situation is different (that is not a slap against anyone on MFP) once you beat this thing, post and tell us how you beat it. I wish you well and find something to smile about today! :wink:
  • borgi77
    borgi77 Posts: 61
    Options

& most of all GOOD LUCK.

My pleasure :)
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am on meds also for depression and anxiety. Every so often I will go off and I do well for quite a while and then it seems the backward slid starts all over again. I was off my meds for years and then ended up going back on them because I didn't like the way I was behaving and feeling. I know that taking med does not mean I'm weak or a failure but the thoughts are still there that I SHOULD be able to beat this depression on my own with lifestyle changes and other positive things and when I can't I get really down on myself. I'm fortunate that no one who knows I'm on meds tells me that I shouldn't take them, nor do they make me feel like I'm flawed because I do. I need the meds and it is that simple. I have a chemical imbalance and I cannot control my brain chemistry. I can do things to assist in feeling better, like exercise and eating right and surrounding myself with positive things but sometimes I need a bit extra. Life is too short to be miserable or feel like I don't want to get out of bed in the morning. I wish you luck on your journey and you do what you need to do to feel better and don't let others make you feel less than for your choices. Good Luck!!
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

& most of all GOOD LUCK.

My pleasure :)
    These are awesome suggestions!! Thanks for sharing.