What are the common mistakes made on veg/ vegan diet?

Options
About a month ago I cut meat out of my diet, but recently I've grown increasingly concerned that I am approaching this vegan/ vegetarian lifestyle the wrong way.

So for those vegetarians/ vegans out there, is there anything that you now know about making the switch to a vegetarian/ vegan based diet that you wish someone had told you in the beginning?

Thanks!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Former vegetarian here. The biggest mistake you can make is to rely too heavily on carbs and cheese. Make sure you get plenty of protein!
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Eating convenience and junk foods, as a lot are still vegan.

Stick to fruits and vegetables mostly!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Former vegetarian here. The biggest mistake you can make is to rely too heavily on carbs and cheese. Make sure you get plenty of protein!

This exactly. I was a vegetarian for 10 years and did not eat enough protein. There are plenty of non-meat sources out there, just make sure you actually eat them :-)
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian, but have been reading a lot about this lately:

-Make sure to get enough B12. I think that brewer's yeast that people like to sprinkle on popcorn has B12.

-Also, do some research to make sure you know how to COMBINE the various foods to get the amino acids you need.

- - -
    cute pig BTW!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The most common mistake of being on a vegan diet, is being on a vegan diet.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've spent years working out which foods I can and cannot eat due to things like gelatin being in them! Dunno if that will apply to you though.

Otherwise I think it's easy to get into bad habits in terms of balancing meals - so make sure you're getting enough protein and iron, also most things can be made with substitutes for meat so don't limit yourself! When I first made the change I thought I'd have to eat boiled veggies for the rest of my life!!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Not a vegetarian, but have been reading a lot about this lately:

-Make sure to get enough B12. I think that brewer's yeast that people like to sprinkle on popcorn has B12.

-Also, do some research to make sure you know how to COMBINE the various foods to get the amino acids you need.

- - -
    cute pig BTW!

When vegan I used nutritional yeast.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Puahahahahahahaha. ROFL...

No but really to answer your question, I was a vegan for about a year went back to just plain vegetarian. There are so many vegetarian proteins and substitutes out there that will fill in the dietary gaps that vegan and vegatarians have that it really takes the effort out of it. Most substitutes are loaded with everything you need from calcium to b12 etc. Thank you consumerism and free markets for making it easy to be a vegetarian, i mean really there are isles and whole section at supermarkets dedicated to our lifestyle.
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    if you are only just going from meat to veggie, i would make life easy on yourself and swap the meat products for things like quorn/soya/tofu alternatives. that way you can still eat similar dishes to what you are used to, but they are veggie. the things to avoid and nutrition bits come over time. to start with, make it as easy for yourself as possible by switching to all veggie brands.

I didn’t check your profile, but if you are in the UK this is so easy these days. all major supermarkets do veggie food.was difficlut when I went veggie over 20 years ago!

:flowerforyou:
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    For me, what helps is not thinking about replacing a meat meal with a meat substitute (although I do). I changed my idea of what constitutes a meal. I started with the basic protein/starch/green vegetable concept. Beans and rice are your friend. Tofu which I have buffaloed, barbecued, grilled, fried, baked, broiled, stewed, you name it is your friend. If you can dream it up, you can make it happen with Tofu. Recently discovered Rice Protein so I'm putting that in shakes to make sure I get enough. I personally can't digest whey and I get enough soy in other ways. Don't forget edamame: it makes a good snack. But mainly my diet consists of vegetables, whole grains and fruits. I also use Nutritional Yeast and a decent multi-vitamin. I've had no issues with energy lag or protein deficiency. I cook every day and have found some really useful cookbooks: Vegan with a Vengeance and Happy Herbivore are just two. If you'd like more information, please feel free to add me.
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    I began a vegetarian diet over 10 years ago (and flop back and forth from time to time). Protein was my biggest issue, for sure!

For protein, there is a vegan powder called "True Vitality" from Green Foods which I use regularly. In addition to the protein, it also gives you servings of healthy greens, which I LOVE! It comes in Vanilla, Chocolate, or unflavored and you can mix it with juice, milk, or water. I use Almond milk or soy milk and it tastes OK. WARNING: because of all of the greens in it you will notice a slight "greening" of whatever you put it in!

I also regularly take a multi-vitamin. If you're a vegetarian for moral reasons, read labels carefully here, since a lot of the "joint complex" ones contain gelatin, usually derived from pork cartilage (this is also in Jell-O).

There are several really wonderful Vegetarian/Vegan "meat substitutes" out there...you can find them in Wal-Mart or Meijers a lot more now. Morning Star, Boca, Quorn, Gardein (by far THE BEST in chicken substitues in my opinion), Amy's....

There are substitues for sausage, bacon, burger, ground beef crumbles, cheese, sandwich/lunch meats (bologne, turkey, ham), chicken....and many other combinations. Amy's has a huge line of vegetarian/vegan frozen entrees that are all extremely delicious.

There is absolutely NO reason why you can't enjoy a healthy and diverse diet as a vegetarian/vegan.

If you want any more information, feel free to PM me! :)
  • brhiannalee
    brhiannalee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat a variety of fruits and vegetables, especially leafy greens you can get all the nutrients you need! Beans and nuts are an excellent source of protein. I've been vegan for about a year and a half and I've never felt better. Recently the hubby and I have been incorporating more raw meals, and the energy I have is astounding! Definitely don't fall into the trap of "It's vegan, so it must be healthy!" Because that is not true! And veganism is not just a diet, it's a lifestyle. To truly be vegan, every product you eat, wear, and use must be animal product free and cruelty free. Some things people don't know about are gelatin, made from boiling animal bones and/or fat. Also most refined sugar isn't even vegetarian because it is processed using animal bone char. Raw sugar is the safest and healthiest way to go. In the beginning you will make a couple mistakes as you educate yourself about it. I know I did! Just because it says veggie doesn't mean it's vegan, casein and whey are fiends! Reading every label is most important! I hope this helps, and good luck! I hope you do choose a kind diet. :)

This is a list of accidentally vegan stuff you can find in any grocery store. http://www.peta2.com/stuff/s-wte-groceryshopping.asp

And this is about sugar and alternatives. http://www.vegansoapbox.com/vegan-sugar/
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

^^ True Dat.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Assuming that because it's veg*n, it's healthy. I got fat on a vegetarian diet because I figured that a box of pasta, half a block of cheese and a can of black beans was healthy because it didn't have meat in it. Fill your diet with fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and plant-based protein, and ensure you stay in a calorie deficit.

[citation needed]
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much. I must admit that I did forget about the protein aspect (very important I know). I think that (at least in the beginning) I'm going to have to really pay close attention to what I'm eating so that I make sure to get all my nutrients in.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    why are you switching if I may ask?

and other can chime in too. Just wondering what are the reasons people switch. ( besides the obvious... OH THE POOR POOR AMINALS!! )
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much. I must admit that I did forget about the protein aspect (very important I know). I think that (at least in the beginning) I'm going to have to really pay close attention to what I'm eating so that I make sure to get all my nutrients in.

It does take a little planning, but it's not hard to get adequate protein on a vegan diet. Turn to options like tempeh and seitan (high protein!), tofu and vegan protein powder.
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options

and other can chime in too. Just wondering what are the reasons people switch. ( besides the obvious... OH THE POOR POOR AMINALS!! )

Sure, but I’m afraid that my answer might turn out to be one of the ‘save the farm animal’ ones you don’t seem to be interested in :-) . Anyway, a while back I saw someone kill a fish (a fish that I wanted to buy) in a supermarket. It really bothered me for some reason over the next few days, and finally I started thinking that if I (apparently) can’t deal with seeing where my food comes from then perhaps I shouldn’t be eating it. It’s that simple.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options

I don't like meat. Gave up beef in my early 20s. Can't even THINK about going back there. It literally makes me gag. And when I used to eat it, it made me sick every.single.time. Toward the end of my twenties poultry and pork starting having the same effect. I felt unnaturally full no matter how little of it I ate. And my energy would plummet. Since I quit, my energy has skyrocketed. I still eat fish occasionally, but my desire for that has waned as of late. For me, it was about listening to my body and seeing what my body really needs to feel optimum. It just isn't the same for everyone. I've never felt healthier/stronger.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't like seeing whole dead fish in the supermarket, but I love nomming on some tuna and salmon. Your avatar looks delicious, btw.

The most common mistake IMO would be swapping to such a diet without careful planning and consideration. How you get your protein and certain minerals and vitamins will need to be looked at very closely. I'm also semi-opposed to vegan dieting to me as it seems counterintuitive that a 'healthy, natural' diet would require you to source certain nutrients from obscure supplements or putting yeast on your popcorn.