What are the common mistakes made on veg/ vegan diet?

Options

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Why in the hell do people cut meat out of their diets only to eat food that is so processed and flavored to look, feel and taste like meat? I just don't get it, and I never will. There is a reason your body says "I want meat".

It basically comes down to their personal ethics being stronger than their cravings for meat. Some people still do like meat but refuse to throw down their own personal ethics because of the treatment of the animals just for a piece of food. and I can respect that
  • Flaco1960
    Flaco1960 Posts: 5
    Options
    A lot of what I was gonna say has already been said, so I'll just recommend a couple of books, both by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, vegan queen chef.

'Veganomicon,' is like an encyclopedia of delicious vegan recipes, and has some invaluable sections about how to prepare vegetables in even the most basic ways.

'Appetite For Reduction,' contains lots of low-fat recipes and it does talk a lot about the mistakes that vegans make when they first make the switch.

I was vegan for 3 years, but I'm not even vegetarian now. When I was vegan I was very active and had a lot of energy, because I made sure to get a good balance of macro-and-micronutrients.

A "good balance" for me back then was about 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. Now I have increased my protein consumption because it is more convenient to prepare sources.

Eat a lot of quinoa! One of the only vegetables that is a "complete protein." And don't eat too many vegan cupcakes! They are ultimately the downfall of any vegan diet.

May I ask why you went back to eating flesh products?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Base every meal off a protein that is not dairy based. It won't be as high in protein as basing it off meat, but it will make sure you don't over carb or dairy :bigsmile:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    -Also, do some research to make sure you know how to COMBINE the various foods to get the amino acids you need.

Food combining is not necessary. As long as you eat healthfully, you'll get what you need. For example, if you ate beans for lunch and rice for dinner, you still got all of your aminos, they don't need to be eaten together.
  • Kelseyyyy22
    Kelseyyyy22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat vegan 6 days a week and eat fish the other (this isn't a hard and fast thing, but it's how it works out). It's cheaper, I feel happier, and my digestion is better haha. It also really helps me deal with all the environmental stuff I've learned. Farms are mega-polluting, even small-scale ones, and growing the same number of calories of beef as grain takes more land, time, and water--all things we are rather short on on this planet much of the time. It's easier to support the local economy buying veggies than meat because farmer's market meat is ridiculously expensive. Plus I've always hated red meat, not cared either way for chicken, and am allergic to dairy. So that helps.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I would say to learn how to cook. When I started eating a mostly vegetarian diet ( I'm a pescetarian, I will eat fish/seafood on occasian) I was eating a lot of carbs and cheese like other posters stated. In the past couple of years I've really started to enjoy cooking and experimenting with different beans, grains and veggies. Meat substitutes are great in moderation but they are still proceessed foods, and whether veggie or not over consumption of processed foods isn't the best. I've found a lot of great recipes on pinterest as well as Vegetarian Times magazine. Good luck!!!

I love Vegetarian times!! I live on their website.
  • Ravenology
    Ravenology Posts: 5
    Options
    I would like to reccomend a few foods which have become staples of my diet (I'm sure you can find all of these in MFP's food database).

-Yves Veggie Hotdogs (50 cal, 10g protein)
    -Presiden'ts Choice Blue Menu The World's Best Meatless Seasoned Chicken Breast (Only avail. at Superstore and other Loblaws grocery stores) (24 grams of protein for 120cal!!)
    -Nutritional yeast (just add it to umami things)
    -http://www.yvesveggie.com
    -http://www.tofurky.com/#
    -Vega has a large selection of vegan protein supplements but they're pretty expensive

There are so many meat alternatives and meat-free versions of things that there's really no excuse to slack on protein. Lots of fake meat foods pack a great protein punch without the calories and fat of the real deal :)
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Former vegetarian here. The biggest mistake you can make is to rely too heavily on carbs and cheese. Make sure you get plenty of protein!
    Cheese contains a lot of protein.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    To be honest a lot of vegetarian meat style foods contain a lot of things you need. Try not to over compensate in other area, watched your protein intake and beware of cheese. I worked with a lady who had been a vegetarian all her adult life, just before she turned 60 she found out she had problems with her cholesterol and it was determined this was down to the amount of cheese she was eating as she was relying on it and eating everyday. It can be quite hard as I've always found the one veggie option contains cheese, I personally am not a huge fan of cheese.

It's worth getting vegan supplements though if you want a bit of reassurance.
  • lacharp
    lacharp Posts: 66
    Options
    For me it was definitely just replacing anything meat with packaged/processed meat replacements. I went veg for a bit during college and did that... also used it as an excuse to eat a ridiculous amount of cheese. :blushing:

Now I'm following a mostly vegetarian diet (I have meat every now and then) and I avoid the packaged stuff - in part because I'm gluten sensitive and most of those things have wheat in them. I focus on getting enough protein through whole foods like quinoa and tempeh.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Relying heavily on processed foods :)
    (have been pescatarian for 20+ years - didn't stop me getting 8 stone over weight though...)
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    The biggest mistake is caring about the omnivores' opinions of your diet.

My vegetarianism is very personal. It's not a fad for me. I've been at it for 18 years. Everyone seems to have an opinion about vegetarianism and a need to share it. Ignore them.
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't like meat. Gave up beef in my early 20s. Can't even THINK about going back there. It literally makes me gag. And when I used to eat it, it made me sick every.single.time. Toward the end of my twenties poultry and pork starting having the same effect. I felt unnaturally full no matter how little of it I ate. And my energy would plummet. Since I quit, my energy has skyrocketed. I still eat fish occasionally, but my desire for that has waned as of late. For me, it was about listening to my body and seeing what my body really needs to feel optimum. It just isn't the same for everyone. I've never felt healthier/stronger.

This is very close to my reason. Meat just makes me feel heavy and takes away my energy. I also eat fish from time to time so I consider myself a pescetarian.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i switched a month ago as well! lets be friends on here for support
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    Why in the hell do people cut meat out of their diets only to eat food that is so processed and flavored to look, feel and taste like meat? I just don't get it, and I never will. There is a reason your body says "I want meat".
    Are animals harvested when soy is processed?.....I didn't think so.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The biggest mistake I made when going vegetarian was I replaced the calories I was getting from meat with starches. I was working really hard to make sure I got enough protein, but I would eat a lot of pasta and breads along with it. It made me feel really sick. Eventually I started swapping in more vegetables and I was good to go.

It seems like most people don't get enough protein or other nutrients like iron or B vitamins that are very prevalent in meat, but not in all vegetables. It's totally possible to get that stuff through vegetables, you just have to watch what you're eating.
  • TropicTori
    TropicTori Posts: 18
    Options
    Common mistakes = JUNK FOODS stay away if your being a vegetarian
    I don't drink milk.. just almond milk i like the taste of it better and less calories
    Try for not too much cheese, it clogs up your intestines
    eat a lot of beans, b-12, and things with iron

I've been a vegetarian all my life... these are the things I've learned most from it:

you need your protein
    iron
    b-12
    vit C (of course)

**** just because its vegetarian doesn't mean its healthy!! ****
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

It basically comes down to their personal ethics being stronger than their cravings for meat. Some people still do like meat but refuse to throw down their own personal ethics because of the treatment of the animals just for a piece of food. and I can respect that

this :) and because it's healthier.

Let thy food be thy medicine!
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    "Crazy Sexy Diet" by Kris Carr <--- here's another great (IMO better) reason to be vegan/veggie.

I'm working towards a 70% vegetarian diet. I wont ever completely give meat/dairy up tho. The way I feel when I replace my coffee with green juice is AMAAAAZZZINGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile: :heart: :glasses:
  • sriraw
    sriraw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A big reason for many folks in becoming vegan/vegetarian is due to environmental reasons. Here is a link to a great article that spells out the impact on the environment of the meat agriculture.

http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/environment.html

http://www.veganoutreach.org/globalwarming.html

I was first vegetarian for 10 years and then vegan now for over 10 years. For me, nothing is easier than this diet. However, it helped to go from meat to vegetarian to vegan.

Also, I look about 10-15 years younger than my age. I attribute it to being vegan - but who knows.

Send me a message if you need any help.